Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,889 members, 7,817,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? (16160 Views)

African Time: The Bug In Our Systems / Gbam! - Who Invented It? / Please What Does The Yoruba Phrase "irawo E Yin Meji Papo" Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by ShaddyTerese(m): 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2014
“AFRICAN TIME”: Who invented this Phrase?

Time is defined as a period considered as a resource under your control and sufficient to accomplish something.
I want to believe without any iota of doubt that at one instance or the other, you have heard someone mention this phrase “African Time”. Personally I have heard it countless times. In fact, just yesterday, someone sent me a message inviting me for a musical concert which was scheduled to hold at 2:30pm and she ended the message with “no African time please”. This; added to the countless incidences where I have heard people emphasize the No-African-time warning got me thinking: who actually invented this phrase? And why was Africa used to qualify it. Why not American time or European time?

The answer is not farfetched as you will soon find out for yourself.

Humanity; over time has been guided by principles. Principles which dictate their way of life. In fact, these principles are what set some individuals apart from other ones.

In the same vein, the “black man” over the years have often undermined the relevance of time to his own detriment. How so? Look at our technological advancement in “comparism” with the white man. Can you spot any difference? Time and its prudent management is what actually created that difference.

“You do not have all the time in the world”. Am sure you might have heard that before too. Time management whether to a white man or a black man has the same benefit or consequences when utilized or undermined respectively. For instance: waking up and refusing to go about your day’s activities will not halt time by one second, in the same vein, another person has; or thinks he has so much time in the world while another is seeking just 24 more hours to change his world. That is the value and relevance they have found in it.

It is a common scene in this part of our world that occasions scheduled for a particular time usually kick start hours after the scheduled time due to sheer negligence to time.
Our seemingly lackadaisical attitude towards time must have given the first man who took time to observe such a behavior the impression that Africans do not have regard for time yet they have no control over it. We think we should be the ones controlling it yet the opposite happens. You don’t dictate when dawn or dusk should come, when rain, or summer should set in, when to get sick or ultimately when to die. Once your time is up, you’re done. What an irony.

Who knows; maybe it has a contributing effect as to why we are still where we are economically. Maybe shouldn’t have been the world. Am sure it does have its effects as to where you are today. You either have been managing it prudently or carelessly.

I might never get to find out who qualified time this way as it affects us but I am sure to correct the notion that “all Africans have no regard for time”. Most importantly, time cannot be altered for the benefit of any individual that is why 24 hours will not fall by one second for your sake.
Those who have regard for time are always on top of their “games” (ask Aliko Dangote and Mike Adenuga what it means when they lose a minute of their time unaccounted for) and would not allow anyone waste their precious resource for whatever reason. After all “time is money”.

Africans who have regard for time will not wait for 10am before setting out for an event scheduled at 10am. A lecturer or office executive will not wait for 8am before heading to work. (Ignorance is what makes some people call this kind “wicked”.) So you can see that in as much as the “African time” time mentality hold meaning in some lives, it is not all inclusive and has its effects only on those who are yet to find their purpose in life because those who have done so are actively representing their works of life the best way they can.

Our prudent management of time goes a long way in determining who we are so it is high time we shake off the shackles of the presumed negligence of time so “unknown” individual melted on us and make every second of our African life count for something meaningful.
Been fulfilled or unfulfilled is determinant on how well you managed your 24hrs daily which cumulated into your entire life. Africans are hardworking and industrious. Do not ruin our reputation with your cold attitude towards time. Make it count.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Exjoker(m): 7:30am On Nov 13, 2014
Your headline caught my attention but the post is soo lengthy Argh!! Very discouraging you know

43 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by ShaddyTerese(m): 10:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
Exjoker:
Your headline caught my attention but the post is soo lengthy Argh!! Very discouraging you know
I think its worth reading it. Am sure you won't regret it.

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:51pm On Nov 15, 2014
white racists ,your article is only excusing their racism

there are punctual Africans and there are european-westerners-white who have no respect for time

8 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Youngzedd(m): 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
We Africans have problem with time management and this has kept us in the current state we are, in terms of technology, we are far from the western world, and before we can reach to their current state, that will be in the next 10 decades.

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
Cos y'all don't ever take anything serious. angry

You arrive at a party slated for 1pm and you only see the technician doing mic check 1.2

angry angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Ezedon(m): 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
.. we re Africans and Africans we will always be, no doubt about that. na like this we go de de unless cars begins to have white tyres
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by lilprinze: 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2014
Most Africans never take anything serious if the time for a program is to start by 12pm about 80% of them won't start coming until 2pm.

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Francon(f): 12:09pm On Nov 16, 2014
We came and met it..... if you ask me, na who I go ask?
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by bunmioguns(m): 12:09pm On Nov 16, 2014
undecided

undecided

FOR AFFORDABLE MTN AND ETISALAT DATAPLAN ON ANDROIDS, NOKIAS, MODEMS, BB10 DEVICES ETC. PLEASE GOTO https://www.nairaland.com/1938808/mtn-etisalat-data-bundle-affordable

14 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by akpanikpe(m): 12:09pm On Nov 16, 2014
I dey come make I ask Google sharpaly grin
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by samuelemuobosa: 12:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
AM I SUPPOSE TO READ ALL THAT AND AND SAVE DEM IN MY BRAIN ?

MTCHEEEW

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by kamez(m): 12:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
white racists ,your article is only excusing their racism

there are punctual Africans and there are european-westerners-white who have no respect for time

Why atrributing lateness or disregard for time as an african problem?

Its a trait found everywhere irrespective of race..

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by davdandam(m): 12:11pm On Nov 16, 2014
This land is not for sale,beware of 419 especially oga seun and his army of moderators grin

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by kamez(m): 12:11pm On Nov 16, 2014
Its not perculiar to africans alone pls

Poor time management is a general problem everywhere in the world..

If its you, then its in you.. .

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 16, 2014
just passing by. can someone narrate the epistle cause its too long.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by holyboss: 12:12pm On Nov 16, 2014
Ok
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Jimmyo3(m): 12:12pm On Nov 16, 2014
70 percent of Africans are not time conscious...FPT

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Sunnycliff(m): 12:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
Google Pls!! am in d church
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by sammieguze(m): 12:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
See question
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by pembisco(m): 12:13pm On Nov 16, 2014

9 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 16, 2014
Jst like our family meetin yesterday.. Scheduled to satrt by 1 & most pple are nt evn around by 2.
Smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by AJOT99(m): 12:15pm On Nov 16, 2014
I don't know.

Check out my signature for the best data bundles for MTN and Etisalat networks.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by kunlesehan(m): 12:15pm On Nov 16, 2014
Na African something
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by donigspain(m): 12:15pm On Nov 16, 2014
So long an article even for an obvious topic!

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by ifyalways(f): 12:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
masonkz:
Cos y'all don't ever take anything serious. angry

You arrive at a party slated for 1pm and you only see the DJ doing Mike Check 1.2

angry angry
Lol cheesy

So true. Even the celebrant won't be found.

1 Like

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by waleakanfe(m): 12:16pm On Nov 16, 2014
booked

space for sale

call me
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Odunharry(m): 12:17pm On Nov 16, 2014
Youngzedd:
We Africans have problem with time management and this has kept us in the current state we are, in terms of technology, we are far from the western world, and before we can reach to their current state, that will be in the next 10 decades.
wat u saying?
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 16, 2014
One of the numerous reasons why Africans will continue lagging behind in every thing.

2 Likes

Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by musicwriter(m): 12:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
Must be Nigerians. Only undisciplined person will even talk about such thing as ''African time''.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by Youngzedd(m): 12:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
Odunharry:

wat u saying?

Nothing can be known.
Re: African Time: Who Invented This Phrase? by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
Its soo terrible in Nigeria, I'm really trying to fight it myself. There was a time I went for an academic program slated for 4pm, I was there by 3:30 and no one else got there till 6pm. I was very mad. angry

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Historical Sites In The Bende And Cross River Regions (photos) / Did West Africans Reach The New World? Afrocentric Fantasy Or A New Beginning? / The Future Of Igbo Highlife Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.