Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Is Democracy Natural To The African Society? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Democracy Natural To The African Society? (384 Views)

Tinubu: "Election Postponement Is Democracy At Gunpoint" / Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Democracy Natural To The African Society? by lulu69: 6:11am On Jul 21, 2014
by Lucas TOGAN

DEMOCRACY!

What about Democracy?

What I think of Democracy?

I will tell you what I think of Democracy.

You see, in the society I grew up, I have been taught right from childhood to fear authority. My parents would flog me to correct me; so I grew up being afraid of them - especially Dad.

All through my days in school, my teachers would flog me every time I did something wrong or did not do it as well as expected; I learnt to fear them as well.

Now I have a job. My boss keeps me in check by constantly reminding me how lucky I am to have this job and how my career growth is totally dependent on his appraisal and sometimes, I suspect, his mood. I have subsequently become very skillful at kissing his ass. Needless to say I am scared shitless of him as well.

Now they tell me that Democracy is the form of government where people are free to choose their leaders and lambast them when they err. This government they are talking about happens to be the highest authority in the land. So, if I am scared of all other smaller authorities, how can I ever have the guts to challenge the authority above my parents, teachers and bosses?

What do I think of DEMOCRACY?

Well if my part of Africa is ever going to practice true democracy, then it has to start from the home, through the schools and the workplace. When we are free to chastise our folks and walk out of class when the teacher is being an ass or tell our bosses to go screw themselves, then we can begin to tell the government how we truly feel about them. Until then, my Africa needs to rename her type of government - CIVIL RULE sounds just about right to me.

SPARK! Let's change it.

Follow @ltspark
For more thought provoking articles please visit - www.facebook.com/sparkchange

(1) (Reply)

FG, Bayelsa Sign Mou To Reduce Telecom Levies By 50% / Registration Of Nigerians / State Governments Misappropriating Public Fundswith Dubious Laws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.