Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places (1314 Views)

Do You Sometimes Wish Your Parents Never Married Each Other / How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by CaptainPhilip(m): 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
i have always wondered why chinese parents do not speak english to their wards though they stay in English speaking countries like the UK on the contrary, naija parents and others want to force the day light out of their children shush their's to speak only English.

are we that ashamed of our native dialects just wondering.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by MrT2011(m): 12:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
Yes because Africans are brainwashed and enslaved causing inferiority complex on them.
undecided
Nigerians think Speaking English is wisdom & intelligents.
grin cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by Iykenson(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2014
to some parents, they see it as a show of intelligence, but it is simply inferiority complex.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 22, 2014
It is societal-pressure !!

Children that speak good english are highly regarded and believed to be brilliant, intelligent and of brighter future while those that blow dialect only are referred as '' dull'' !!
Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by damiso(f): 8:34pm On Jul 22, 2014
It's soo true my daughter's former nursery had some Chinese kids and they could all speak Chinese fluently.i am talking 3 and 4 year olds.

Anyways China is now a super power so speaking mandarin will definitely never be a disadvantage.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by CaptainPhilip(m): 1:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
And these children are so fluent speaking the Mandarin. In my opinion they are smarter cos they only hear their parents speak to them which is less frequent to English which they hear always at schools and play grounds
Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by flyca: 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
OP come home! Nairaland is in English Language, is it inferiority complex? You typed what I can read and reply to here, is it inferiority complex?

Nigeria was colonized by Britain making our Lingua Franka English Language. China has no colonial masters. The have had Mandarin from the word go. They have the most ancient history in the world.

Also Nigeria has over 200 ethnic groups and over a hundred languages. How else can we communicate if not a unified language. Yes, I know China has 56 ethnic groups, but then, only one majority the rest are minority and all of them speak dialects of the same language- Putonghua.

It's nothing to do with inferiority complex in my own understanding and opinion. English is to us both a scientific and a commercial language. We have been learning with it from kindergarten classes. All subjects are taught in it: Science, Mathematics, Art courses all taught in English. All our exams are set in it! Its even difficult to come through a serious job interview without a good command of the language. So it is only natural to communicate in that same language. I have never seen any Mathematics text in Igbo nor Hausa Geography textbook. I have even received Igbo lessons in English sef. Yes!(you can ask me how).

On the contrary, those guys are different. They start, learn, draw, eat and breath Mandarin. Their language is complete, over- complete sef. It's difficult or say of no use to them to have another language. You can't even access their websites, technology, gadgets if you cannot read Mandarin.

So pls sheath your sword!
Escuuusus mi angry

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by Stillfire: 2:40pm On Jul 23, 2014
Until you Nigerians can decide on a common Nigerian language to use as a lingua franca, we would continue to have this problem.
For example Indonesia has over 700 indigenous languages, but their lingua franca is Indonesian, an old Malay language which first spoken in Western Indonesia I think. Can Nigerians choose an ethnic group language as its lingua franca?
Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by Stillfire: 2:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
And also the fact that you hear them speaking a their common language does not mean indigenous languages in such countries have not suffered the same thing Nigeria faces for having English as a lingua franca.
Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by Ishilove: 6:30pm On Aug 08, 2014
flyca: OP come home! Nairaland is in English Language, is it inferiority complex? You typed what I can read and reply to here, is it inferiority complex?

Nigeria was colonized by Britain making our Lingua Franka English Language. China has no colonial masters. The have had Mandarin from the word go. They have the most ancient history in the world.

Also Nigeria has over 200 ethnic groups and over a hundred languages. How else can we communicate if not a unified language. Yes, I know China has 56 ethnic groups, but then, only one majority the rest are minority and all of them speak dialects of the same language- Putonghua.

It's nothing to do with inferiority complex in my own understanding and opinion. English is to us both a scientific and a commercial language. We have been learning with it from kindergarten classes. All subjects are taught in it: Science, Mathematics, Art courses all taught in English. All our exams are set in it! Its even difficult to come through a serious job interview without a good command of the language. So it is only natural to communicate in that same language. I have never seen any Mathematics text in Igbo nor Hausa Geography textbook. I have even received Igbo lessons in English sef. Yes!(you can ask me how).

On the contrary, those guys are different. They start, learn, draw, eat and breath Mandarin. Their language is complete, over- complete sef. It's difficult or say of no use to them to have another language. You can't even access their websites, technology, gadgets if you cannot read Mandarin.

So pls sheath your sword!
Escuuusus mi angry
You just ranted and raved without even understanding the OP. The post is talking about Chinese parents in English speaking countries, duh!! angry

Personally I had to make the effort to start learning my language when I was about twelve, and even at that I am nowhere near perfect. I intend to teach my children my language and limit the use of spoke English in our home. They can speak English with their friends and in school, but in my home, English language will be at the barest minimum

5 Likes

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by flyca: 3:30am On Aug 09, 2014
Ishilove:
You just ranted and raved without even understanding the OP. The post is talking about Chinese parents in English speaking countries, duh!! angry

Ma, how many Chinese parents can say "Have you
eaten?" correctly in English language?, I mean even
the ones living in the UK? Is it not what they know
that they will speak with their wards?
Pls tell me what else I need to understand from the
OP? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by CaptainPhilip(m): 7:36am On Aug 09, 2014
I thank you flyca. No be fight bro sister
Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by Darteyyyy(m): 1:48pm On Aug 09, 2014
how about we make pidgin our lingua franca?....

Pidgin is not vulgar as some people take it to be.....

Language na language as long as there's communication.

I'm sure you know what communication is....

there's a difference between 'comot for where you standa so' and'leave there'.

it's only a suggestion o.... before you start quoting me.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Parents Never Speak English To Their Children Even In Public Places by kannymoore(m): 7:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
For me oh, I think its rude speaking your native language in public especially when there are non-natives around when you are equally as adept @ speaking the official language as the non-natives.
it gives the non-native the impression that you're making snide remarks about their person even though you might just be having an innocent convo with your pal.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Once Again, Tpia Is Godfearing, Caveat Emptor, I Am Not Here Looking To Cheat / Nairaland Feminism / My Family Needs Your Urgent Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.