Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (16474 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / Making Love & Raising A Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 6:31pm On Apr 24, 2013
Personally, I was raised by my parents to speak our local dialect from childhood, now I'm an adult and I'm not doing bad at all when it comes to speaking good English.
I wonder what the stress of these new generation parents is all about.
It's now like a competition amongst the Elites to raise their children to speak English thereby preventing these little kids from learning how to speak their local language fluently and efficiently.
This has become a general disease in our present generation and it's spreading too fast!
If we the oldies never learnt our local languages, our local languages would have gone extinct.
Must we now allow our own local languages to fade off just because of modernization?
Now my question is this:
Is there any special importance attached to raising a child to speak English language in Nigeria?

10 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ckkris: 7:18pm On Apr 24, 2013
English is both the Scientific and Commercial LANGUAGE of the world today, just as Greek was, in the time of Jesus Christ. St Paul wrote his epistles in Greek, even as he was very fluent in his native Hebrew.

6 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 25, 2013
It is very proper.if u don't teach dem,their school will!at home, alternate so dey will learn ur language.children can learn more than five diff lang at a time in a twinkle of an eye unlike adult! Meanwhile,english is our 2nd lang.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by smartmom(f): 10:22am On Apr 25, 2013
@Poster, great post here! I am glad a few people are addressing this issue. We DO need to address the issue of our local languages urgently too. The kids will learn English anyway but if you dont speak and teach them your indigenous langauges, its only a matter of time, it will become extinct!

Look at this thread discussing this vital issue here:

[url]http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,54.0.html[/url]

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by alosiby92(f): 3:38pm On Apr 25, 2013
@OP: That is a good question...fact is in some way, a huge part of the child's culture (native language) may be lost forever and be hard to regain.....what if it is not taught in school?

3 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by kingingkinging: 3:43pm On Apr 25, 2013
OCTAVO: Personally, I was raised by my parents to speak our local dialect from childhood, now I'm an adult and I'm not doing bad at all when it comes to speaking good English.
It's now like a competition amongst the Elites to raise their children to speak English thereby preventing these little kids from learning how to speak their local language fluently and efficiently.
This has become a general disease in our present generation and it's spreading too fast!
If we the oldies never learnt our local languages, our local languages would have gone extinct.
Must we now allow our own local languages to fade off just because of modernization?
Now my question is this:
Is there any special importance attached to raising a child to speak English language in Nigeria?

Thank you OP. I dont know for them and I eaqually see it as inferiority complex among us. We have seen our languages as being less important, a sign of penury and a symbol of backwardness. It really shows that colonization has eroded our values.

We need to wake up from our slumber because the fact that your child speaks English from childhood does not give him or her the license to speak it better than others.

15 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by saintvc(m): 4:37pm On Apr 25, 2013
Parentr teach them your lnative language

school teach english, simple

4 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ifyalways(f): 5:21pm On Apr 25, 2013
Is it proper to train a child to speak Yoruba/Igbo/hausa abroad undecided

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by biolabee(m): 5:24pm On Apr 25, 2013
OCTAVO: Personally, I was raised by my parents to speak our local dialect from childhood, now I'm an adult and I'm not doing bad at all when it comes to speaking good English.

Now my question is this:

Na today e start?
Leave mata for tortoise...
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 6:59pm On Apr 25, 2013
ckkris: English is both the Scientific and Commercial LANGUAGE of the world today, just as Greek was, in the time of Jesus Christ. St Paul wrote his epistles in Greek, even as he was very fluent in his native Hebrew.
So what are you saying in essence?

11 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 7:11pm On Apr 25, 2013
yellowpawpaw: It is very proper. if u don't teach dem,their school will!at home, alternate so dey will learn ur language.children can learn more than five diff lang at a time in a twinkle of an eye unlike adult! Meanwhile,english is our 2nd lang.
It shouldn't be at the detriment of our local languages.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2013
ifyalways: Is it proper to train a child to speak Yoruba/Igbo/hausa abroad undecided
Yeah, it is proper. 'Oyibos' train their children to speak English and not Yoruba/Igbo/hausa.
So, Mother tongue first!

6 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 7:25pm On Apr 25, 2013
alosiby92: @OP: That is a good question...fact is in some way, a huge part of the child's culture (native language) may be lost forever and be hard to regain.....what if it is not taught in school?
Yeah, exactly my point!
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by greatgod2012(f): 9:36pm On Apr 25, 2013
In my own opinion, i think not allowing your children speak your indigeneus language is like telling them, indirectly, that, you are not proud of your tribe and its language, atleast, if you are proud of a thing, you will want people to identify you with that thing, and i notice that its mostly common with we yorubas, you can hardly find an igbo or hausa kids, who will not be proud to speak their indigenous languages, even, in public places, but, we yorubas,......hhhhmmmmm, may God help us.

Well, in my own house, we (hubby and i) ensure that our children understand our language very well, infact, its a rule that........
1. You must know the yoruba meaning of whatever you are talking about, so anytime they see a new thing, which they know its english name, i tell them the yoruba meaning and ask them to address the thing in yoruba for a whole week, except in school.
2. Once i speak to you in yoruba, you must respond in yoruba, and it has helped them a great deal to speak the language fluently.

The mistake our people makes is that, once a child speaks totally in English, it makes the child a brilliant child, which is not true sometimes, or even most times, i remember one of my secondary school mates, who could speak english like mad, but repeated S.S1 three time, and the fourth time, she was advised to withdraw, because it was a laid down rule in my school then, that, once a student repeat a class three times, and she also repeat the fourth time, she would be advised to withdraw, but, you need to know this girl, then, even, oyinbo man could not speak english fluently as she used to, but, gbogbo e.....odo ni.
@all, lets all embrace our indigenous languages, and also encourage our kids to embrace it. teni n teni, takisa ni t'aatan.
May God help us.

24 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 10:45pm On Apr 25, 2013
greatgod2012: In my own opinion, i think not allowing your children speak your indigeneus language is like telling them, indirectly, that, you are not proud of your tribe and its language, atleast, if you are proud of a thing, you will want people to identify you with that thing, and i notice that its mostly common with we yorubas, you can hardly find an igbo or hausa kids, who will not be proud to speak their indigenous languages, even, in public places, but, we yorubas,......hhhhmmmmm, may God help us.

Well, in my own house, we (hubby and i) ensure that our children understand our language very well, infact, its a rule that........
1. You must know the yoruba meaning of whatever you are talking about, so anytime they see a new thing, which they know its english name, i tell them the yoruba meaning and ask them to address the thing in yoruba for a whole week, except in school.
2. Once i speak to you in yoruba, you must respond in yoruba, and it has helped them a great deal to speak the language fluently.

The mistake our people makes is that, once a child speaks totally in English, it makes the child a brilliant child, which is not true sometimes, or even most times, i remember one of my secondary school mates, who could speak english like mad, but repeated S.S1 three time, and the fourth time, she was advised to withdraw, because it was a laid down rule in my school then, that, once a student repeat a class three times, and she also repeat the fourth time, she would be advised to withdraw, but, you need to know this girl, then, even, oyinbo man could not speak english fluently as she used to, but, gbogbo e.....odo ni.
@all, lets all embrace our indigenous languages, and also encourage our kids to embrace it. teni n teni, takisa ni t'aatan.
May God help us.
Wow!!! Thank you for your awesome contribution. I love the bolded part of your write up.
Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 26, 2013
The age old debate again...

There's nothing wrong in teaching one's children to speak English in Nigeria. My parents actively encouraged it, and spoke English to myself and my siblings whilst we were growing up, my grandparents spoke to us in a native-pidgin mix.

The point remains parents are free to bring their children up the way they deem fit, there's no right or wrong. Native or English, everyone has a choice.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 12:19am On Apr 26, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Meanwhile,english is our 2nd lang.

That's where you're wrong. English is our first language, our native languages come second.

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by ziccoit: 1:37am On Apr 26, 2013
Siena:

That's where you're wrong. English is our first language, our native languages come second.

No. This depends on how you look at it.

"A first language (also native language, mother tongue, arterial language, or L1) is the language(s) a person has learned from birth or within the critical period, or that a person speaks the best and so is often the basis for sociolinguistic identity. In some countries, the terms native language or mother tongue refer to the language of one's ethnic group rather than one's first language. Sometimes, there can be more than one mother tongue, (for example, when the child's parents speak different languages). Those children are usually called bilingual.
By contrast, a second language is any language that one speaks other than one's first language"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_language

7 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 1:52am On Apr 26, 2013
Some people here may stone me to death. But, let’s look at some of the facts.

The English language is the official language of Nigeria. Given this fact, it overrides any of the local dialect. If people don’t like it this way, then the Nigeria constitution should be changed to elect a local dialect as official language.

In my opinion, children should be comfortable with the language that they would be using in school. Therefore, it is better to train a Nigeria child to feel more comfortable with the English language when the child is still very young. It would be unfair for that child to start his schooling in Nigeria without the proper command of the English language.

Also, the English language is the language that will carry the Nigeria Child into his professinal life. What type of job can someone do in Nigeria without any knowledge of English?

This has nothing to do with inferiority complex.

7 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 7:47am On Apr 26, 2013
Siena:

I disagree with this... How can English be our first language?
Fine, English may be our official language but that doesn't make it the first.

7 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by OCTAVO: 7:53am On Apr 26, 2013
ziccoit:

No. This depends on how you look at it.

"A first language (also native language, mother tongue, arterial language, or L1) is the language(s) a person has learned from birth or within the critical period, or that a person speaks the best and so is often the basis for sociolinguistic identity. In some countries, the terms native language or mother tongue refer to the language of one's ethnic group rather than one's first language. Sometimes, there can be more than one mother tongue, (for example, when the child's parents speak different languages). Those children are usually called bilingual.
By contrast, a second language is any language that one speaks other than one's first language"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_language
This is elaborate enough... So we now know what first language really is. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 26, 2013
OCTAVO:
It shouldn't be at the detriment of our local languages.
Who said local language is fading? Let me use lagos as an example, enter bus,market,anywhere,its yoruba all d way.go to hausa land, their own is worst,what of igbo,I had a friend dat don't speak igbo but he is igbo,work took him to awka,he learnt it by force!so dear,our local language is intact. All I'm sayin is dat its very proper,if u don't school will and our society too.d problem will be d type ur child will learn so its good.once u use ur language to communicate at home,they must learn and very fast.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 26, 2013
[quote author=Siena]

[/quot
More than 20 something country uses english as second language and that includes nigeria.to britons,that's their 1st language cos its their mother tongue.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 26, 2013
@ the congo,there is one common mistake we make about lang and dialet.a language is diff from dialet.dialet is inside lang,in oda words dialet is non existance w'out language. In iboland,the language is igbo,then there r diff dialets eg,owerri,onitsha,awka,nsukka etc.I tell u there r some igbo that I can not comprehend their meanin(I'm igbo)but its still igbo.that is their dialet. I believe Yorubaland has d same too.also other tribes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Bibol(f): 2:51pm On Apr 26, 2013
The OP is right to a very large extent. You see kids nowadays blowing grammar but find it very hard to even greet in thier mother tongue. While i'm not against kids speaking good english, but it should not be to the detriment of their local languages. Parents should learn to communicate with their children in their native languages, and also encourage them to learn other foreign languages. It will help a whole lot.

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2013
Bibol: Parents should learn to communicate with their children in their native languages, and also encourage them to learn other foreign languages. It will help a whole lot.

English is the official Language of Nigeria.
Therefore, you can't call it a foreign Language in Nigeria.
French would be a Foreign Language for Nigerians.
This is a very important aspect that shouldn't be neglected.

In my opinion, parents should learn to communicate with their children in English. Let's be real.
If you still believe that English is a foreign language, then change the Nigerian constitution.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by slimyem: 7:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
Its easy to pick up one's native language than to learn English..so no,nothing wrong in bringing up one's child with English language in Nigeria.
They'll unconciously and eventually pick up the native language in that environment.

2 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 26, 2013
TheCongo:

English is the official Language of Nigeria.
Therefore, you can't call it a foreign Language in Nigeria.
French would be a Foreign Language for Nigerians.
This is a very important aspect that shouldn't be neglected.

In my opinion, parents should learn to communicate with their children in English. Let's be real.
If you still believe that English is a foreign language, then change the Nigerian constitution.

I agree whole-heartedly.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by Originalsly: 1:45am On Apr 27, 2013
Is there any special importance attached to teaching a child English in Nigeria? Yes.It is the official language pf Nigeria. If your child does not know English then his travels,education,job opportunities,finding a wife,using the internet and friends will all be limited to local areas where his language is spoken....and this is only within Nigeria....how would he ever become a part of the global community?...like us here on Nairaland? However, I strongly believe that the first language a baby should learn is the native language/s of his parents. He will learn English when he starts schooling.It is more important to pass on your culture.On the Elites...too many show their inferiority complex by speaking English in these fake accents...they make me sick.China...many languages...common one Mandarin. India...many languages...common one...Urdu. Nigeria...many languages...common one English.Poof!

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by greatgod2012(f): 2:52pm On Apr 27, 2013
slimyem: Its easy to pick up one's native language than to learn English..so no,nothing wrong in bringing up one's child with English language in Nigeria.
They'll unconciously and eventually pick up the native language in that environment.

ma, not all of them will eventually pick up their local language o, i have a neighbour whose daughter bears Dayo, shes 16 now, but ordinary "bawoni"?, she doesnt hear you, so, how will she cope afterwards.....

5 Likes

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by bebe2(f): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2013
Fact the nigerian languages is dying n, it will die! There are too many of them. If it was just 1 for the 160 million or even 10 then it might survive but "one kilometre meets another language??" Never, give it two more generation max n it will be extinct. The yoruba might survive a bit longer.

1 Like

Re: Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? by smartmom(f): 1:07am On Apr 29, 2013
I am shocked to hear 'modern' parents ([s]who I assumed were free from colonial brainwashing[/s]) say that we dont need to preserve our indigenous languages by teaching our kids 1st at home. It is no wonder a large number of our youngsters simply do not speak our local languages or if they do, so badly that I shudder to think what they will teach their own kids when our generation passes on!

It may seem 'cool' to some that their kids learn to speak English before attempting their local language but honestly I have not seen any Nigerian who was at any disadvantage in speaking English because they spoke their mother tongue 1st. Not if they go to a proper school anyway.

Children have the ability to learn and speak 4 languages simultaneously so they can learn both the mother tongue and English with thesame proficiency. The real problem here is that the kids become reluctant to learn their local languange if they are made to speak English 1st simply because they think it is too much trouble for a limited audience since they wont be needing it outside the home setting.

I expected to hear the complain that parents of mixed tribal marriages would have a problem to teaching their kids 2 different languages but alas I havent even read of any such!

Please and please parents do the natural; speak your langauge in your home setting amongst yourself and encourage your kids to speak it too. Its a precious legacy not to be toyed with.

26 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Married Men Have Affairs? / Can This Happen In Our Country Nigeria Mother And Son (PHOTO) / Find A Way, Not An Excuse!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.