Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:18 AM

Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing (64557 Views)

Engine Number And Chassis Number For Mercedes Benz C220 / Tokunbo 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sports (Long Chassis) Asking Price Now: N1m / Free VIN/Chassis Number Checks For All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Seun(m): 2:49am On Oct 12, 2008
I strongly urge Nairaland members to avoid buying any car if the seller doesn't provide a chasis number or VIN.  Sellers should also try to upload pictures of any vehicles for sale.  Let us do what we can to restore confidence in this little automobile market or ours. [b] There is no penalty for not including the chassis number [/b]but nobody will buy your car!

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by busynett: 3:06am On Oct 12, 2008
Seun:

Details soon.

At last. What else can I say.

Regards.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 3:42am On Oct 12, 2008
Seun, car dealers in this auto section cannot thank you enough for this policy.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Poj1(m): 6:07am On Oct 12, 2008
He took so so long,but then better late than never.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by inspiredm(m): 7:39am On Oct 12, 2008
Nice Idea, Another feat to mark our 100th car celebration, Lets have the details Soon cool cool
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 8:38am On Oct 12, 2008
[size=15pt]Please we will also appreciate it the more when the VINs are correct but in the case of any abnormality, let the provider respond in a cordial manner while the finder addressed the issue without bias.

Welcome to the new world we 've bn longing for.[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-205771.0.html
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ikeyman00(m): 9:24am On Oct 12, 2008
right as a superman this is, its always good and sensational  to picture a bro flying right in there without GHANA MUST GO BAG style if yall feel me ha, well Inspired man, me referring to u. U just proof u got the right business acumen  to  fly nevermind your silly mistake whatever that is? British airways nko, fixing prices, luggage's lost, spraying insecticide on Nigeria political monkies in the so called first class(well they deserve it),now they are paying the price, so one thing u should learn not to let some doggy short term profit undermine your long term sustenance. Having said that i smell some grudges from some other car dealer in here?  Nigeria need people like you for real.

now I'm not a car expert i must say but to say that Vin ain't Paramount is an understatement. but as one that drive, just because a car has been in accident dnt necessary means the car is written-off. a car could be hit on its bumper, then got fixed, that might implies too dubious to the Nigerian customers?

So my point is Vin shouldn't be missassimilate or something,yes course its help to keep track of things!! so I'm down for VIN approved

So inspired-man take note, u own me cow-head when i step down to Nigeria

wish i can at this point afford those classic and clean cars of yours but i can only settle for some clean Honda halla which emm more likely viperman will provide i hope?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by czartwist: 2:28pm On Oct 12, 2008
Bravo Seun! Alas, sanity can reign at the auto section, Awaiting details.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by gamechange(m): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2008
HABA! Oga Seun why did it take you 4eva, trully grateful sha.

It is not just enough suggesting that adverts should come with VIN, severe punitive measures should be a place where abuse or an attempt to abuse the priviledge is discovered.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Jafour: 6:23pm On Oct 12, 2008
I am an advocate of optional vin listing in car advert. Seun, your recommendation of vin will satisfy the majority of auto thread- trotters who had yearned for it not for dealers/actual buyers. I know who plays the piper dictates the tunes but it will have been better for you to seek the counsel of dealers who advertise on NL and actual buyers who bought cars in the past through NL.

As @ Ivvie once quoted in one thread "I believe a sub-category should be for sales/classifieds" I wish this would have been your pursuit to generate income and attract traffic flow to your site more than what is being done in www.autotrader.ca etc where vin listing is not compulsory  but optional.

ikeyman00:

now I'm not a car expert i must say but to say that Vin ain't Paramount is an understatement. but as one that drive, just because a car has been in accident dnt necessary means the car is written-off. a car could be hit on its bumper, then got fixed, that might implies too dubious to the Nigerian customers?

@ikeyman00
To have make the above statement, makes you a car expert. A bumper hit reported to the insurance company is an accident. Even a scratch on the bumper will result in insurance claims or repairs. Listing a vin of a car reported as an accident due to bumper scratch put the dealer at a disadvantage position before a buyer has the opportunity to look at the car(Nigerians don't want to hear anything accident even if very minor). The taste of the pudding is in the eating.

1 Like

Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ikeyman00(m): 6:38pm On Oct 12, 2008
ha jafour i feel! guess u right as well.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2008
@Jafour, I respect your view that VIN number should be made optional but I think most dealers here do not share that view. It will be interesting to know who are the dealers against this. If you have been active on the forum, you will remember that there was an opinion poll taken by Siena on this issue. The result is there for everyone to see.

Secondly, if you think vehicle with accident history (even if the smallest of accidents) puts the seller at a disadvantage then the next question is why will the dealer buy a vehicle with accident history knowing that it puts him/her at a disadvantage? There are more vehicles without accident history than those with accident history so, why go for vehicle with accident history? The answer is simple - those "accidented" vehicles are very, very cheap in America because no one wants them.

If a vehicle has any kind of accident history, I believe it is legitimate for buyer to be made aware of such. What is unacceptable is to present "accidented" vehicles as vehicles with no history of accidents. What we are asking for here is transparency and honesty - VIN number makes this possible. I assure you there is market in Nigeria for "accidented" vehicles that have been repaired and made safe but they just have to be presented as "repaired" or "accidented" vehicles.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 10:05pm On Oct 12, 2008
@ ziontrain
you 've said it all
simple,
let us buy chimpanzee as chimpanzee not as a monkey.

Igbos call it ''Adaka na onu Enwe''
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Poj1(m): 10:35pm On Oct 12, 2008
igwe 1:

@ ziontrain
you 've said it all
simple,
[color=#990000]let us buy chimpanzee as chimpanzee not as a monkey.Igbos call it ''Adaka na onu Enwe''
[/color]

Hmmmmmm,
the wisdom of an Igwe
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 10:52pm On Oct 12, 2008
P.oj:

[/color]

Hmmmmmm,
the wisdom of an Igwe

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by bugybugy(m): 11:03pm On Oct 12, 2008
Like Uncle JENJU told me today, VIN is just like a plate #,so guys feel free to post your VIN, no fear now,
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Mase3: 10:26am On Oct 13, 2008
@ ziontrain, good contribution.

Honesty and Transparency is the watchword here.

The major reason why dealers don't post VINs is just to maximize their profit.
You buy a cheap, "accidented" car, do a make-over and sell it as expensive as the ones with no accident history.

The unsuspecting buyers pay premium prices for such vehicles.
I see a lot of tokunbo vehicles whose airbags have gone off.
They are neatly re-done after accidents and sold without the airbags as if they were present.

Not ALL accidents can be captured by the VINs but let's at least have a check in place.

Shouldn't the "accidented" cars be sold cheaper? Comments please ,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Eluala(m): 11:04am On Oct 13, 2008
Igwe eeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not been disappointed buy your sagacity on matters of importance to the entire members of the kingdom. 'Nna gi muru gi ofuma ofuma'.

Let the dealer live, also let the buyer live. 'Egbe bere Ugo e bere, nke si ibe ya e bela, , '

Long live Naija, Long live Nairaland.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 11:46am On Oct 13, 2008
@Eluala

Car is not some thing one should joke with, many have gone through some man made accidents that could have been avoided.

If I know the negative nature of the vehicle am about to buy, I should be able to solicit help from professionals on how to keep it to a good shape.

You know how it pains when you found out that you were cheated.
At the point of discovery this could lead to a chain reaction in the sense that the person may decides to sell it out sharp,  sharp to another innocent fellow and the unfortunate brother or sister mighty be the one to pay the price.

Whatever one sows so shall he/she reaps.

i think all the tokunbo bought Nigerian used should be put into consideration as well.

my 2kobo,
I
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2008
[size=16pt]I never believed seun would succumb to this  vin issue,

I think it is left for sellers to decide if they want to reveal the bad side of their rides (if there is).

Its same as washing ur car, in and out simply because you want to sell it for a better price. you are not going to tell the buyer, hey, my car had an accident last year but thanks to my mechanic, NO

even those of you breathing out the "at last, seun took action" air.

its just amazing how much people love to wear boxing gloves and pull off their clothes on fights that meant for someone else

left to me, i would say, let buyers decide if they want vin number and sellers, decide whats good for their business

IT IS THE PRACTICE EVERYWHERE BUSINESS IS DONE, IF MY CAR HAS A CLEAN HISTORY, I WOULD BE GLAD TO DISPLAY THE VIN[/size]

anyways, the site is own by him, oluwaseun osewa. so expect more from the owner himself grin
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by mycar: 2:03pm On Oct 13, 2008
The issue here, I think is to give this site a professional look.
You can sell whatever you have elsewhere but for this site I suggest professionalism to be the order of the day at least to showcase a good image of Nigerians.

my2cent.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by dgb4(m): 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2008
pls, how can one know the VIN no of a vehicle
where is it normally writen?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by inema: 4:00pm On Oct 14, 2008
webdezzi (m) and ,Jafour wayo people.wetin una wan hide?"THE DEVIL RUNNETH WHEN NO ONE PURSUETH IT" cheesy grin kiss tongue cry cool
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 14, 2008
i don't blame you, you don't have any car to buy, you are only here to fight on what is none of your biz

taking paracetamol for another man's headache.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by inema: 8:35pm On Oct 14, 2008
webdzi or wetin dem dey call u, kissmrs farida dey wait for u
cry shocked
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 14, 2008
and i suppose mrs farida is your wife.

why would she want me when you are there?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by gamechange(m): 9:04pm On Oct 14, 2008
There is no need castigating anyone who is against what is now appearing to be a landslide victory for 'VIN disclosure'. We should learn to respect  and tolerate each others opinion, after all that is what demo'crazy'  is all about. we can agree to disagree, but majority carries the vote.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 12:14am On Oct 15, 2008
Seun,

This penalty you have given for non-compliance does not carry any weight as you know. May I respectfully suggest that penalty should be "postings without VIN number will be deleted by the administrator".

I am sure Siena will accept to be the moderator due to your busy schedule.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Jafour: 4:56am On Oct 15, 2008
inema:

webdezzi (m) and ,Jafour wayo people.wetin una wan hide?"THE DEVIL RUNNETH WHEN NO ONE PURSUETH IT" cheesy grin kiss tongue cry cool

You need to be tutored. Wetin be wayo for person wey get contrary view to the follow follow majority? my brother, I no get anything to hide, I beg check this thread,  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-176544.0.html#msg2899554   you go see my true name.  Inema, tell us your real name and the work wey you dey do and office address? make  we know who get something to hide. Who be the devil wey dey run?  because  I talk say make Seun make vin listing optional.

You no be car buyer, you no be dealer and you no contribute any idea - which one you be? I beg you, I need answers for all my questions.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Jafour: 6:44am On Oct 15, 2008
@Ziontrain
@Jafour, I respect your view that VIN number should be made optional but I think most dealers here do not share that view. It will be interesting to know who are the dealers against this. If you have been active on the forum, you will remember that there was an opinion poll taken by Siena on this issue. The result is there for everyone to see.
Must I be active on every thread if I don't have any cogent reason to contribute? besides I contributed in  the opinion poll taken by Siena. I have noticed that you have goofed on many threads, I would advice you to always check your facts before posting.

If a vehicle has any kind of accident history, I believe it is legitimate for buyer to be made aware of such. This is the key to the issue and I agree in totality with you that a buyer should be made aware of anything (not only accident) on the vehicle by the dealer in such a way that it will affect the price the buyer will be willing to offer. That is what disclosure is about.

What we are asking for here is transparency and honesty - VIN number makes this possible. I disagree with you, vin listing will not make a dealer to be honest. You must have read the thread where a dealer posted a vin for another vehicle pics.

I sincerely support your agitation for transparency and honesty on this forum - to make this happen, we need the collective inputs of dealers and buyers.
Now that vin listing is more or less compulsory by the admininistrator lets see the honesty and transparency in dealers on NL.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by GoldCircle: 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2008
Good job Mr. administrator! At last! Now we'll indeed know those that have been selling "baroof cars" to fellow Nigerians!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by babeisme: 2:02am On Oct 16, 2008
@ everyone,
i just did a vin check for someone on my vin check thread now and i realized that the car is canadian. I thought canadian cars could not be carfaxed according to some people, Well, good news,

VIN CHECKS CAN BE DONE FOR CANADIAN CARS!!!!!!

(WWW.AUTOCHECK.COM)

VIN: 2FMZA5142YBA68664
Year: 2000
Make: Ford
Model: Windstar Vans LX
Style/Body: Wagon 4D
Class: Van - Mini
Engine: 3.8L V6 SPI
Country of Assembly: Canada
Vehicle Age: 8 year(s)

This vehicle's AutoCheck Score
64 45-64
This vehicle qualifies for Buyback Protection

About Buyback Protection

Section summaries

Title and ProblemCheck: Your vehicle checks out!
OdometerCheck: Your vehicle checks out!
Vehicle Use and EventCheck: No vehicle use reported
Full History: Detailed information available

Title and ProblemCheck
Your Vehicle Checks Out! AutoCheck's database for this 2000 Ford Windstar Vans LX (2FMZA5142YBA68664) shows no negative titles or other problems. When reported to AutoCheck, these events can indicate serious past damage or other significant problems.

0 Problem(s) Reported: 15 Title/Problem areas checked:
No abandoned title record
No damaged title or major damage incident record
No fire damaged title record
No grey market title record
No hail damage title record
No insurance loss title record
No junk or scrapped title record
No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
No odometer problem title record
No rebuilt/rebuildable title record
No salvage title or salvage auction record
No water damaged title record
No NHTSA crash test record
No frame damage record
No recycling facility record

OdometerCheck
Your Vehicle Checks Out! AutoCheck examined the reported odometer readings reported to AutoCheck for this 2000 Ford Windstar Vans LX (2FMZA5142YBA68664) and no indication of an odometer rollback or tampering was found. AutoCheck uses business rules to determine if reported odometer readings are significantly less than previously reported values. Not all reported odometer readings are used. Title and auction events also report odometer tampering or breakage.

0 Problem(s) Reported: Mileage Date Reported

Vehicle Use and EventCheck
Your Vehicle Checks Out! AutoCheck shows no additional information reported to AutoCheck about how this 2000 Ford Windstar Vans LX (2FMZA5142YBA68664)has been used and other events. This includes reported accidents and corrected or duplicate titles and storm area registrations.

0 Event(s) Reported: 6 Vehicle uses checked:
No fleet, rental and/or lease use record
No taxi use record
No police use record
No government use record
No livery use record
No driver education record
0 Event(s) Reported: 9 Vehicle events checked:
No accident record reported through state agencies or independent sources
No corrected title record
No duplicate title record
No emission/safety inspection record
No loan/lien record
No fire damage incident record
No repossessed record
No theft record
No storm area registration/title record

Full History
Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.
Report Run Date: 2008-10-15 20:18:15.890 EDT
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Windstar Vans LX (2FMZA5142YBA68664)
Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
10/18/1999 Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
11/13/2001 MISSISSAUGA, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
01/25/2002 MISSISSAUGA, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
02/21/2003 MISSISSAUGA, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
03/01/2004 MISSISSAUGA, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
01/31/2005 MISSISSAUGA, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
11/30/2005 BRAMPTON, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
01/03/2006 BRAMPTON, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
01/03/2007 BRAMPTON, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL
01/10/2008 BRAMPTON, ON Motor Vehicle Dept. CANADIAN RENEWAL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Keke Napep With Big Electric Fan And And Video Player - Spotted In Lagos - PICS / Innoson Set To Slash Keke Price To N300,000 / Hybrid discussion Thread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.