Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,382 members, 7,815,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing (64701 Views)

Engine Number And Chassis Number For Mercedes Benz C220 / Tokunbo 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sports (Long Chassis) Asking Price Now: N1m / Free VIN/Chassis Number Checks For All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by nkc(m): 5:04am On Oct 16, 2008
very soon, people will start fighting on this thread, what i have noticed is that people love to fight, i am really disappointed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Godalone(m): 9:35am On Oct 16, 2008
Seun,the penalty against any dealer that advertises vehicles without VIN is too weak.With due respect to you i think such thread should be deleted.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by gamechange(m): 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2008
A slap on the wrist approach will not work and has never worked in Nija. Severe punishment please.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Seun(m): 1:05am On Oct 17, 2008
I think Nairaland car buyers are very smart. Once they see this thread, they will know what to do.

Question: Does every car in Nigeria have a VIN? And how do you find out the VIN number? Thanks.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 1:10am On Oct 17, 2008
webdezzi:

[size=16pt]I never believed seun would succumb to this  vin issue, . . .

No need to lose your beauty sleep over this cheesy The guy still has his thinking cap on. From the little yinglish I know, the key word used was strongly recommended, not mandatory wink wink wink

webdezzi:

I think it is left for sellers to decide if they want to reveal the bad side of their rides (if there is).

It was never about this. In short it was much ado about nothing cool The general consensus amongst the dealers were that "if we list cars with VIN, we lose out to competitors going behind our back and putting sand in our garri so instead we supply the VIN number on request . . .
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 1:28am On Oct 17, 2008
Seun:

I think Nairaland car buyers are very smart. Once they see this thread, they will know what to do.

Question: Does every car in Nigeria have a VIN? And how do you find out the VIN number? Thanks.

Nigerians would not know a VIN if it hit them in the face tongue Nigerian roads are full of cut and short jobs, either the VIN number on the front would not tally with the one at the back, or the VIN on the right would not tally with the one on the left . . . cheesy

VIN numbers are etched into the glass, under the bonnet, etc

VIN are only as important as you getting involved in an accident and having the honesty to report this to your insurer, only to watch your premium rise and for you to lose your no-claims bonus. If on the other hand, you opt to do the repairs yourself because it is cheaper, it becomes an unrecorded damage, your insurance company is none the wiser and it does not show on the VIN/Carfax report. I know what I'd do cool as an honest and upright citizen lipsrsealed
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 5:57am On Oct 17, 2008
Seun, VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number and I will be surprised if Nigerian cars don't have them, but then I am not sure. Maybe our Naija based car dealers can help us here.

The point is almost 80% or more of the vehicles advertized on Nairaland are from the US or Canada and they all have VIN. If we can prevent unscrupulous dealers from pulling a fast one on unsuspecting buyers 80% of the time, I think you would have done a great service to this forum. I am sure you have seen what has been going on in the last few days where it has been revealed that some dealers are rolling back odometer and deceiving unsuspecting buyers. This is really bordering around criminal activity to put it bluntly. I don't think you should condone this on your forum.

I think you should take responsibility and sanitize this auto section rather than leave it for buyers to be smart. If you don't do this, it would seem as if one is inadvertently protecting the unscrupulous dealers.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 7:40am On Oct 17, 2008
IN ORDER TO BRING BACK THE LOST GLORY AT THE SAME TIME STRENGTHEN IT'S CREDIBILITY ,VIN SHOULD BE MADE KNOWN UPFRONT.
NO ONE CAN GO THROUGH THE PREVIOUS POST AND STILL HAVE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE PASSED ON SOME OF THE DEALS GOING ON HERE.
THE CHOICE IS YOURS ADMINISTRATOR.
THE ONLY THING  CONSTANT IS CHANGE.

FOR NAIJA CARS AND VINS, EVEN IF THEY HAVE VINS, THERE WILL BE NO DOCUMENTATION/HISTORY SURROUND IT.BUT WE KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT IT, WE KNOW OURSELVES AND THE PRICES WORTH THE RISK.
AND IS SAID THAT DEAD FOWL IS NOT SOLD AT HOME.

BUYERS CAN NEVER OUTSMART THE SELLERS EXCEPT A DEALER.
HE WHO WEARS THE SHOE KNOWS WHERE IT ITCHES.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by chessguru(m): 7:56am On Oct 17, 2008
@post

Nice one!!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Seun(m): 7:59am On Oct 17, 2008
Based on my little understanding of this VIN issue, deleting adverts without VIN would put local sellers at a disadvantage, because they might not have the VIN.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.

@igwe: why are you posting in all caps? that's rude.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Mase3: 8:49am On Oct 17, 2008
Once the car is marked "American" or "Canadian" specs, a VIN should follow compulsorily!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 9:19am On Oct 17, 2008
Seun:

Am sorry if that's how you see it, i didn't notice on time and by the time i saw it,it was too late for me as i was running late to office.
regards,
I

Seun:

Based on my little understanding of this VIN issue, deleting adverts without VIN would put local sellers at a disadvantage, because they might not have the VIN. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

For local sellers,i think the tag ""Nigerian used"" is enough evidence to indicate "Buyer beware"

For accident/salvage cars ,you can put under the description accident/salvage but has been fixed and tested ok with guaranty.Period!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Godalone(m): 11:20am On Oct 17, 2008
@Seun,
Any used car should be tagged "Nigerian Used" that means VIN is not necessary but for others i think VIN should be made compulsory.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 1:37pm On Oct 17, 2008
Seun, here is the way I see it. I doubt it very much if there has been any vehicle advertized here on nairaland that did not come with a VIN number originally (I could be wrong). Be that as it may, I will suggest that any vehicle that is less than 10 years old must have it's VIN number provided or posting should be deleted. We can make exception for brand new vehicles which have no history. If a car is older than 10 years, government will not allow it to be imported according to the new law except if it's been used in Nigeria prior to being advertized in which case, VIN number will not be so critical.

However, if a car dealer claims this is a Naija vehicle (less than 10 years old) and has no VIN (which I very much doubt), let him/her say so in the posting and everyone will be aware that this vehicle they are about to buy has no VIN number and hence no history. We can start with that.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by jenju(m): 1:59pm On Oct 17, 2008
Seun:

Based on my little understanding of this VIN issue, deleting adverts without VIN would put local sellers at a disadvantage, because they might not have the VIN.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Seun,

I join others in recommending that all adverts without VIN be deleted. ALL cars have VIN nimbers. In Nigeria, before you can register a car your are required to supply the Chassis number, which is the same as the VIN number. The Chassis number is clearly written on car registration documents.

If a local dealer does not have his Chassis number( VIN number), he/she should clearly state that the car is not "Tokunbo" or that it is "Nigerian Used", and buyers will be able to make reasonable decisions.

If you require VIN on all "Tokunbos" and exempt those that are clearly marked as "Nigerian Used" just in case local dealers cannot provide their chassis number or VIN, I believe we shall all be better off for it.

Ultimately its your call.

Cheers,
J
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Seun(m): 2:03pm On Oct 17, 2008
Ok, I hereby a citizen police force to enforce compliance?  
If you notice a "US" or "Canadian" spec car without a VIN,
keep harassing the seller until he/shecomplies with the strong recommendation.
This is a commercial board.  it will be hard to find a neutral moderator.
Let us see how far community responsibility can take us.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 2:16pm On Oct 17, 2008
Seun, your decision is respected.

One thing though is that there is nothing to be neutral about regarding deleting postings without VIN number where seller has not declared this is a Naija vehicle. It's pretty straight forward isn't it. And if anyone feels cheated or undermined, he/she can complain by creating a new thread for that - I don't even think we will have that kind of situation. At the end of the day, the decision is yours and I am sure nairalanders will respect it.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by jenju(m): 2:18pm On Oct 17, 2008
Seun:

Ok, I hereby a citizen police force to enforce compliance?  
If you notice a "US" or "Canadian" spec car without a VIN,
keep harassing the seller until he/shecomplies with the strong recommendation.
This is a commercial board.  it will be hard to find a neutral moderator.
Let us see how far community responsibility can take us.

Seun,

A moderator will by default, be neutral.  It is impossible to be partial when the requirememt is simply to post VIN or  state that the car is Nigerian used.  If partialilty is the concern, then there really is no concern at all.  

The job will be easy, dealers post VIN or mark "Nigerian Used" else moderator remind them to do it, if they don't, then post is deleted. Its impossible to be partial.

Again its your call.

Cheers,
J
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by igwe11(m): 2:56pm On Oct 17, 2008
In addition to what has been said, tokumbo Nigerian used vehicles of less than 1year used  should as well be advertised with  Vin as at when the car was brought into the country to avoid use of plate numbers as excuse to dodge Vin,especial when the history is ugly.
With all this  watch out this site will win award in anti-corruption crusade!!!!!!!!!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Godalone(m): 3:28pm On Oct 17, 2008
Harassing a dealer that places adverts without VIN is still not the solution,such dealer needs to be warned from the admin and if he /she refuses to obey i think his/her thread should be deleted.Your excellency the GCFR of Nairaland,citizens of Nairaland wants you to speak on this.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2008
Ma$e:

Once the car is marked "American" or "Canadian" specs, a VIN should follow compulsorily!

Godalone:

@Seun,
Any used car should be tagged "Nigerian Used" that means VIN is not necessary but for others i think VIN should be made compulsory.

jenju:

. . . If you require VIN on all "Tokunbos" and exempt those that are clearly marked as "Nigerian Used" just in case local dealers cannot provide their chassis number or VIN, I believe we shall all be better off for it . . .

Seun:

. . . If you notice a "US" or "Canadian" spec car without a VIN,
keep harassing the seller until he/shecomplies with the strong recommendation. . .

[s]Well that settles it then cheesy Fixing something that ain't broke lipsrsealed cool[/s]

Wow, interesting, so I can order a dodgy tokunbo car from abroad, have it delivered today, the 17th of October 2008, use it for the weekend, put it back on Nairaland for sale on Monday 20th 2008 as a Nigerian used car and thereby have no need to list the VIN  cool Nice one grin
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 4:04pm On Oct 17, 2008
jenju:

. . . A person like Sienna . . .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-183448.0.html#msg2943383
cry     cry     cry     cry     cry     cry     cry     cry     cry     cry
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Sisikill: 4:09pm On Oct 17, 2008
Busy_body:

[s]Well that settles it then cheesy Fixing something that ain't broke lipsrsealed cool[/s]

Wow, interesting, so I can order a dodgy tokunbo car from abroad, have it delivered today, the 17th of October 2008, use it for the weekend, put it back on Nairaland for sale on Monday 20th 2008 as a Nigerian used car and thereby have no need to list the VIN  cool Nice one grin

Tee hee hee. . . please stop using common sense to disturb these fine gentlemen now. Haba, it's unfair oooh!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by ziontrain: 4:22pm On Oct 17, 2008
Nairalanders, if Seun will agree to having a moderator, I will like to nominate Siena and according to the link above, if Siena is not free for any reason, I think we can ask for volunteers. I believe if it is good enough for the travel section to have a moderator, it should be good enough for the auto section to have one particularly because of the experience of the last few days.

My suggestion is to have 2 moderators so if there's dispute, we can have a second opinion even though this is a very straight forward case.

If Seun will agree, I will like to volunteer to be a moderator and let Inspired nominate the other moderator or volunteer himself. Nairalanders, what say you?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Mase3: 4:57pm On Oct 17, 2008
@ busy_body, how much do you think you would sell a car marked "nigerian used" on nairaland?

how many people dey even look am sef?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2008
Sisikill:

Tee hee hee. . . please stop using common sense to disturb these fine gentlemen now. Haba, it's unfair oooh!

shocked shocked shocked You're the mangirl lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Busybody2(f): 9:11pm On Oct 17, 2008
Romeobest:

. . . As an expert in Fraud Identification given my Background in Law Enforcement Agency in Inglewood CA . . .
akuya:

. . . Given my law enforcement background, . . .
akuya:

. . . As I wrote earlier, my background is in law enforcement

We have heard you Akuya. cool  cheesy

###Now Oluwaseun, over to you. Iwo nikan tan, two people with their backgroundback to the ground in law enforcement, on hand to help you sanitize your forum without you paying them a single kobo shocked With a third in the form of Ziontrain, who is probably sitting his "background in law enforcement EXAMS" as I speaktype cool

Another pointer to help you whilst you stay out of solve this connundrum. One of the aforementioned duo has a vendatta against Inspired_man whilst the other is watching Phammyus like an hawk watches a chicken. Everyone in the know, knows who Ziontrain is gunning for, except Promise72 - I need to ask him to recommend some of what he is smoking to me

igwe 1:

@Zintrain,
you re ok for the job but   either akuya or romeobest should assist you .

Not so fast grin All of the names you suggested, are somehow, surgically joined somewhere I can't yet place my fingers on, so till then angry wink E be like say me sef I dey go join law enforcement where all the fun is at, it seems to be the new buzzword on Nairaland. grin grin grin
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by rasmur5: 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2008
Busy_body raises a valid point re designating a car as "Nigerian used" just to avoid posting the VIN. Let's not forget that the VIN also verifies the model/manufacture year (that has sometimes been disuputed on Nairaland ads), the last reported mileage etc; not just salvage or accident scenarios.

God knows a "Nigerian used" car can have it's odometer rolled back to show a figure less than it's reading upon shipment from US or Canada. Granted, no recorded history once the vehicle hits our shores but at least with the last Carfax mileage, a buyer has a pretty good idea of what the current mileage should look like depending on the car's operation since it arrived Nigeria.

I say let's keep things simple so as not to create avoidable loopholes. If it has a VIN, post it and leave the buyer to decide if it's a good deal or not.
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by layifioren(m): 11:55pm On Oct 17, 2008
I believe European vehicles does not have VIN no. Please correct me if I'm wrong? SO what if someone imports their car from an European country. VIN nos are great but in a country like Nigeria, it just serves as a means of confusion. Shikena!
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by layifioren(m): 3:36am On Oct 18, 2008
ziontrain:

Siena, I think you can help us here. My understanding is that european vehicles have VIN number which is called Chasis number. In addition to this, there is CARFAX equivalent in the UK where you can get the history of vehicles and I believe there's one for Germany too. Bottomline is that 80% of vehicles are from US and if your vehicle is not from US, Canada, Germany or UK say so and let's know why you are not posting VIN. We can start with that.

@Busy_body, a primary school student will present better logic than what you've presented here. What more can I say. If you don't know who Romeobest is by now, then I am sorry, your I.Q. is way too low for this forum. Everyone knows me on this forum and know what my agenda is - Transparency and honesty. I will say it out loud, I VOLUNTEER TO BE MODERATOR IF SEUN WILL ALLOW ME. If you want to be the moderator and Seun is ok with it, then I have no objection as long as the rules of engagement are what nairalanders have been asking for. My only concern is with the level of your logic - I just think it is not sophisticated enough for the calibre of people that are members of this forum.

You say people have vendetta against inspired - there is no need for this. Of course a lot of people are upset with him because it has been declared that he rolls back odometer reading of some of his vehicles by no less a person than his former business partner - Babeisme so, what nonsense are you talking about here. I mean, here is a guy who has issued DEATH THREAT PUBLICLY on this forum for crying out loud and is yet to retract the threat! Who will not be upset with that, who? If you are not, I am!!

Well, the carfax equivalent in UK (or Europe) needs to be made available then. This VIN no thing self dey carry too much wahala
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by Godalone(m): 9:19am On Oct 18, 2008
Ziontrain is a good choice regardless of his location,i know that he can deliver.
Seun,do you think only Nigeria based person is worthy to be the moderator of travel section?
Re: Chassis Number Or VIN Is Recommended On Every Listing by vinchecks: 11:56am On Oct 18, 2008
Godalone:

Ziontrain is a good choice regardless of his location,i know that he can deliver.
Seun,do you think only Nigeria based person is worthy to be the moderator of travel section?

Thats a wrong choice, From Previous posts it's revealed that ziontrain will be struggling to sell his Hurricane Ike flooded Honda Accord on this forum in a couple of days, We want a more reasonable, neutral person, that satisfies the Administrators requirement, definitely not ziontrain !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why You Must Sell Your Cars with Us. / 1962 Ferrari Abandoned For 40Years Sold For ₦55M In The U.k.(Pics) / Let's Handle All Your Payment To Copart and Iaai.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.