Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? (10540 Views)

Is It Right To Look Into The Mirror At Late Night??? / How Often Do You Look At Yourself In The Mirror In A Day? / The Average Woman Spends 2 Years Of Her Life Looking At Herself In The Mirror! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by cococandy(f): 1:55pm On Jul 22, 2014
Most of us don't even know how addicted we are to mirrors until there's none available

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
I actually hate looking in the mirror angry because the one in my house makes ones head look like coconut

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
Mirror is my only true friend.
I don't think I can stay a day without a mirror.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by cococandy(f): 2:55pm On Jul 22, 2014
How many ladies can go out a day without first looking in the mirror?
'Not I' said cococandy.
Many of us even carry one around with us in our handbags.lol

Unfortunately,from mere habit this has turned into a full blown obsession for many women.

While it may not be harmful at first,continuous indulgence in this obsession has led to conceit and vanity and sometimes narcissism for those who don't like what they see

Studies have shown that this addiction is becoming a globally recognized one and scientists have developed a method known as mirror fasting to help women work on this addiction and improve on their self esteem.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by merieam16(f): 3:01pm On Jul 22, 2014
Just look'd into d mirror nw.lol

3 Likes

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by cococandy(f): 3:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
can I give up my mirror addiction?

A NEW beauty trend is on the rise which promises to help women feel more confident – introducing “mirror fasting”. The theory is that by avoiding looking in mirrors for a significant period of time you will become less fixated on your image and will boost your self-esteem.

Excerpts from a convert's testimony

Debbi is happy to be reunited with her mirror [grin]
This is right up my street as while I don’t see myself as a particularly vain person I can’t deny that I’m somewhat addicted to my reflection. We have nine mirrors at home, three of which are in my bedroom.

When I admitted to a friend how much I check myself before going out she was amazed I found time to leave the house at all.

I don’t stand there gazing adoringly. I scrutinise myself from every angle, keen to see how others view me, so I know exactly what is going to step out of the door. Once outside it doesn’t stop. Car and shop windows are perfect for a quick image check.

Sometimes when I’m out for dinner I even have to make sure my seat doesn’t face a window or mirror otherwise I’m distracted by my own face all night.

A recent study, published in the journal Behaviour Research and Therapy, found that women look in the mirror around 38 times a day

I’m not alone. A recent study, published in the journal Behaviour Research and Therapy, found that women look in the mirror around 38 times a day.

It’s clearly high time I begin my mirror fast. For a week I decide to allow myself a small hand mirror to do my make-up and a cursory glance in a full-length mirror to make sure I avoid any sartorial skirt-tucked-into-knickers nightmares. I then cover the main mirrors in my house. I’m under no illusion that a habit I’ve had for years will be hard to break.

My first task is getting ready in the morning. I no longer spend precious minutes agonising over the new wrinkles etching themselves into my face or the odd blemish that may or may not evolve into a pimple. Basic tasks such as brushing my teeth or putting in my contact lenses are considerably more challenging. I play my outfits safe by wearing tried and tested jeans and T-shirt combinations but I can’t deny I’m anxious. Using a small hand mirror I quickly apply some eyeliner and mascara.

However, the second I leave the house to take my son to nursery, I’m hit by my reflection in a car window. I duck my head before being greeted by a bank of reflective office windows lining the road.

Usually I would glance sideways in order to make sure I’m standing up straight or to see if my bottom has changed in size since I left the house.

Now I’m not able to, I’m suddenly aware of how much I seek out my reflection.

My new plan is to keep my eyes in front of me and allow myself to think about other things such as the various meetings I have to arrange.

“It will get easier,” I reassure myself but like a true addict I’m suffering from withdrawal. I can’t help feeling that my teeth aren’t clean enough and I have to rely on friends to tell me if I have any spinach caught between them.

I don’t see any upsides to avoiding the mirror until my new regime comes into its own after one particularly late night.

Instead of gazing at hungover bloodshot eyes I scurry past every reflective surface and head out of the door carefree. If I have no idea how wretched I look I can’t possibly be bothered by it.

I reach new heights halfway through the week when I complete the nursery drop off in my scruffy gym gear but I find it impossible to remain reflection-free for the entire week. A rogue mirror in a public toilet catches me unaware.

At the end of my week I’m eager to check in the mirror that all is as it should be.

It’s a thrill to see myself brush my teeth and get dressed with the reassurance of my reflection.

Part of me misses the freedom of not worrying about what I look like though and since my experiment I’ve made a conscious effort to cut down on how much I look at myself.

Mirror fasting made me quite anxious at first but as the days passed I felt liberated as I became used to not checking myself every minute.

5 Likes

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Spicylate(f): 5:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
is it possible sef?
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by corisande: 5:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
grin
I can't do without a mirror
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
Sometimes I walk pass a car, or a window shop, ...
Reverse just to catch a glimpse of my self and shape and also the hair .It's was that bad grin
These days, I have reduced the reverse method.
I just use the slow motion method

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by cococandy(f): 11:09pm On Jul 23, 2014
grin grin
Slow motion. Lmao
Chillisauce: Sometimes I walk pass a car, or a window shop, ...
Reverse just to catch a glimpse of my self and shape and also the hair .It's was that bad grin
These days, I have reduced the reverse method.
I just use the slow motion method

5 Likes

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by apolonius(m): 9:34am On Jul 24, 2014
I do only when I comb or brush my hair. It is some vanity that I am not used to.smiley
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Dreyl(m): 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2014
For up to 3 months.

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Karleb(m): 4:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
As long as there is no mirror around.

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by ayusco85(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
This thread should be titled.....

"Ladies how long can u go without looking in the mirror"

For me sha, I think I can go

..................wait first lemme ask ifa

6 Likes

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by oathman(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
As long as possible
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by CharlieMaria(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
80yrs grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Wolison(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
Nnaaa!!!!
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by yimikaa: 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
A whole year undecided

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by pabon(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
I have no mirror

4 Likes

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by InwehAkpevwe(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
24 hrs max...
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by DGKN: 8:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
I dnt do wifawt MIROR

Hmmmm
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by constance500: 8:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
3 hrs.. I even keep one in my bag when going out grin
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by merit12(f): 8:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
I can't oh

I even go out with mirror
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by tigonana: 8:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
Na ghost I dey always see for deir dat y I no dey near am!!!
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by iheanyi40(m): 8:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
I do look at d mirror always jawe
To check on ma hair tongue
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2014
I can't do without it in a day

If I won brush my teeth, I go use mirror
If I won comb my hair, I go use mirror
If I won shave, I go use mirror
If I finished eating and I won remove meat from my teeth I go still use mirror.

If anybody sey he fit do without a mirror in a day .. that's a white lie.

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by iheanyi40(m): 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2014
ayusco85: .
my nigga grin

2 Likes

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by juicydiceyjoe(m): 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2014
This thread should be for ladies

My opinion though

2 Likes

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by Chipsy1(m): 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2014
...As long as diaris no mirrow around! I even check my ugly face on any pond Near by!

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by RotrEmmanuel: 9:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Looking In The Mirror? by pxjosh(m): 9:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
Once a week

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shitposting General / Math Quiz... Can You Get The Right Answer. / Happy New Year Nairalanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.