Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,508 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? (30353 Views)

8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Do You Remember This Lamp? Share Your Experiences Here / Mothers: What Was Your Baby's Birth Weight? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
pickabeau1:

Just give an idea..a range..100,500, etc

Single moms are complaining on the Frontpage that those who consider them dont want to take their child along yet you say there are many of them marrying https://www.nairaland.com/1821941/thread-single-mothers-fathers

ok

Of course they will face challenges because of the perception of the society aboout having kids outside wedlock But does that stop them from getting married at the end of the day? The only single mothers who decide not to marry are those whose husbands died and they feel their focus should be squarely on their kids. ABEG I NO FIT REPEAT MYSELF O. you can read my previous comments. No time for debate with you.

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by pickabeau1: 3:17pm On Jul 23, 2014
They will marry at the end of the day... they will have lost a lot of time.. some dont.. actually most wil not until the child in question is in the teenage or has even left the house

Also there would be assurances that there will be no financial burden on the step dad

I have been reading your past comments and noted you seemed to be downplaying the realities of single motherhood

Lets be real

Sophyrocks:

Of course they will face challenges because of the perception of the society aboout having kids outside wedlock [b]But does that stop them from getting married at the end of the day? [/b]The only single mothers who decide not to marry are those whose husbands died and they feel their focus should be squarely on their kids. ABEG I NO FIT REPEAT MYSELF O. you can read my previous comments. No time for debate with you.

4 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by Stillfire: 3:18pm On Jul 23, 2014
Can't marry a babypapa...eww!
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
pickabeau1: They will marry at the end of the day... they will have lost a lot of time.. some dont.. actually most wil not until the child in question is in the teenage or has even left the house

Also there would be assurances that there will be no financial burden on the step dad

I have been reading your past comments and noted you seemed to be downplaying the realities of single motherhood

Lets be real

Why are you hammering on the issue? How am i downplaying the realities? I admitted that the society still habours its reservation towards these women. I am also being realistic when i say they eventually get married after all challenges faced. So?

Let me say you keep hammering on this issue because you have your doubts about these women getting married. I won't blame you since you are a product of the society. You still have doubts. You are free to hold on to your POV and i will hold on to mine.

Am I free now?

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by pickabeau1: 3:28pm On Jul 23, 2014
You were always free smiley
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by crackhaus: 3:31pm On Jul 23, 2014
One common characteristic among single mothers is their tendency to become controlling and unusually clingy after a while in the relationship...

Not a good combination in one person, especially one with self-esteem issues (some single mothers already have a subconscious belief that the world is against them)...
It's only a matter of time before a woman like this starts to get on my nerves.
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by 5minsmadness: 3:38pm On Jul 23, 2014
No.
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by baron2000(m): 4:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
TV01:

Leave them 0!

How many singles are there out there sef? Forget single mums. Getting more desperate by the minute. Searching high and low and lamenting all over the place. Flocking to and filling out churches.

Instead of them to wise up and tell each other the truth about their outcomes of their "poor choices" and consequences of their bad actions, and make real structural changes to their thinking and actions, they are here cheerleading each other to misery. Their own worst enemies indeed.

TV

does this mean that she should forget ever getting married to another man? Has she lost ALL hope of having a real marriage
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by TV01(m): 5:11pm On Jul 23, 2014
baron2000: does this mean that she should forget ever getting married to another man? Has she lost ALL hope of having a real marriage

TV01: As an individual, there is no reason why this lady can't marry and marry well. But if she had a twin without a child out of wedlock, I rate her twins chances in both regards as that much better.

TV01: Sure a lot of "single-mums" eventually marry, but there is "marriage" and there is "marriage".

TV01: The good news is that if she - as an individual - has the character and deportment of a wife, she still has all to play for, especially given her age.

TV

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by RoyalRoy(m): 5:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
baron2000:

does this mean that she should forget ever getting married to another man? Has she lost ALL hope of having a real marriage

No she shouldn't lose all hope. But her choices of a man are limited to a very few and rare options.

Let her focus on building herself up and keep that part at the background for now!!
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by baby124: 5:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
OP,

There is someone for everyone, if you just have patience and look well. She should not be in a haste or in a hurry. Life happens to us all. Just have patience and be very careful when going into other relationships. She cannot force anyone to stay with her, so i suggest she channel that energy into more important things. When she is least expecting it, love will find her. She should also stop basing her life on another human being. Even if she never gets married again, she may be happier than most who are. Let her pick up her shoulders and face her life. We all came to this life on our own, and we will all die alone and rest in our graves alone. Dont kill yourself for anyone that does not deserve it. Leave this guy and go on with your life, life is short and you deserve to live it in peace.
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by coogar: 5:42pm On Jul 23, 2014
RoyalRoy:
No she shouldn't lose all hope. But her choices of a man are limited to a very few and rare options.

Let her focus on building herself up and keep that part at the background for now!!

she has 1% chance of ever getting married again. women are so gullible - they take what men say as the gospel truth whereas those men are just saying the magic word that will get them quickly between her legs.

a single mother that has just left her hubby is vulnerable in the eyes of men. she's weak, an easy target. men will flock around her knowing she's at her lowest ebb. they will promise her marriage knowing that's the easiest way to bäng her.

these women then quickly assume they are hot cakes since 25 men in the area are asking them out on a date. women: read my lips - these men only want quick sex, they are not interested in marriage or adding emotional baggage to their own stressed life.

there's a difference between dating for the purpose of shägging & dating for the purpose of marrying.

4 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by thorpido(m): 6:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
Sophyrocks: The single mothers i know are all hot cakes to Men.
Hot cakes?
I think not.
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by shizzle11(m): 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2014
some people actually succeded in in altering the supposed course/original intention of this thread, reference here is single mums and not single parents.

Well i cant tell if i can marry a single mum until i meet one
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by Funmimorgan(f): 6:52pm On Jul 23, 2014
I would rather have that baby and be called a single mother than to endager my life through ABORTION..
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by coogar: 7:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
Funmimorgan: I would rather have that baby and be called a single mother than to endager my life through ABORTION..

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/25/why-abortion-is-less-risky-than-childbirth/
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by bennyrazz: 7:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
I use to hear single mothers are sweet cheesy
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:03pm On Jul 23, 2014
My question is- am i right to tell her that her chances of getting married to another man are not damaged?
No you should not tell her that, she fully understands her position. Life is very unfair, the competition for good viable men out there is fierce and her chances do not get better with a child. Yes people can point here and there of one or two exceptions but here in naija o generally it does not help.

will you even consider dating one?
It depends on what the guy is looking for, guys have a wide range of things they might be looking for in a relationship. Dating for marriage however, errrrrrrrrrr well I suspect a huge majority of guys would not.

4 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by baron2000(m): 9:00am On Jul 25, 2014
bennyrazz: I use to hear single mothers are sweet cheesy

For me i think they are like every other woman. I think the hate expressed here from guys is just sad.

5 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by TV01(m): 9:41am On Jul 25, 2014
Sophyrocks: Of course they will face challenges because of the perception of the society aboout having kids outside wedlock

Nope, not due to the "perception" of society, but due to the "reality" of their situations. They have and are primarily responsible for another mans child/children. It's actually counter-intuitive to why humans "pair-bond" in the first place.

Funnily enough, other women will persist on the societal moré the most. How many women want their sons or brothers, friends or family members or marry single-mothers? How many would advise them to do so?

How many men or women grow up dreaming of marrying a single-parent. Who pictures that for their own future? Having children outside wedlock is rightly frowned upon, as it typically presents an "extra" cost/burden to society.

baron2000: For me i think they are like every other woman. I think the hate expressed here from guys is just sad.

Indeed, they are just like "every other woman", but the reality is as I have already stated above. No one is hating on them, just clearly outlining the truth of the situation and cautioning against it.

The haters are those trying to paint a picture of "carry go, notin' do you" and encouraging it as normal and moral practice. It's the women and children that typically suffer. Don't be misled by instances of the women still making good marriages or the children turning out well.

TGIF, lets leave sentiment or personal experience or desire out of broad discussions.

TV
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by pickabeau1: 9:45am On Jul 25, 2014
baron2000:

For me i think they are like every other woman. I think the hate expressed here from guys is just sad.

Dude/woman be objective

Where did u see hate here.. is telling you to have a sense of realism rather than misplaced and misguided optimism hate?

A lot of the people talking are single themselves and thus cannot relate

Some of the married woman (i dare say most) will not even allow their husbands relate with single moms

Be real, dude or woman

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by shaybebaby(f): 9:52am On Jul 25, 2014
TV01:

Nope, not due to the "perception" of society, but due to the "reality" of their situations. They have and are primarily responsible for another mans child/children. It's actually counter-intuitive to why humans "pair-bond" in the first place.

Funnily enough, other women will persist on the societal moré the most. How many women want their sons or brothers, friends or family members or marry single-mothers? How many would advise them to do so?

How many men or women grow up dreaming of marrying a single-parent. Who pictures that for their own future? Having children outside wedlock is rightly frowned upon, as it typically presents an "extra" cost/burden to society.

Indeed, they are just like "every other woman", but the reality is as I have already stated above. No one is hating on them, just clearly outlining the truth of the situation and cautioning against it.

The haters are those trying to paint a picture of "carry go, notin' do you" and encouraging it as normal and moral practice. It's the women and children that typically suffer. Don't be misled by instances of the women still making good marriages or the children turning out well.

TGIF, lets leave sentiment or personal experience or desire out of broad discussions.

TV
Perceptions shape our realities. Change the perception, change the reality. Reality is not static, it morphs and changes subject to how our perceptions of it changes.
In essence, the reality you perceive for single mothers can change, is changing and will change.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by TV01(m): 10:13am On Jul 25, 2014
shaybebaby:
Perceptions shape our realities. Change the perception, change the reality. Reality is not static, it morphs and changes subject to how our perceptions of it changes.
Nope, truth shapes reality. A woman with a child out of wedlock is just that. Percieve it how you will. Even if it is legally codified as a good thing and encouraged by the state, most men will still prefer to marry women without children from a previous relationship. Those that fail to percieve that fact do so to their own disadvantage.

Put a dog-collar and leash on your cat and re-name it bingo - it remains a cat. Give two men a licence, conduct a ceremony and call it marriage, it remains an abomination. And they and everyone else know it, regardless of the statutes. One can refuse to percieve truth, but it does not alter reality.

shaybebaby: In essence, the reality you perceive for single mothers can change, is changing and will change.
Altering perception does not change reality. Why are you still referring to them as single mums? Why, because the fact remains.

TV

3 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by TV01(m): 10:20am On Jul 25, 2014
pickabeau1:

Dude/woman be objective

Where did u see hate here.. is telling you to have a sense of realism rather than misplaced and misguided optimism hate?

A lot of the people talking are single themselves and thus cannot relate

Some of the married woman (i dare say most) will not even allow their husbands relate with single moms

Be real, dude or woman

It's the "new morality". Objection or disagreement to anything that anyone chooses to do is now termed "hate". People must always be affirmed in their choices - regardless of the outcomes - or you are a hater.

Where choices are glaringly immoral or wrong, statute and shaming will be used to persecute and condemn dissenting voices or contrary opinion

"The world", ensuring "conformity" since the fall. But now it's doing so pro-actively.

TV
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 25, 2014
TV01:

TGIF, lets leave sentiment or personal experience or desire out of broad discussions

TV

You talk like a Crude Sadist!!! No pun intended! Just read what i made bold up there. You are not happy that there are Single mothers who are turning out great after all the challenges they face or that there are success stories or that there will continue to be success stories. You seriously want single mums to suffer just to prove a point, that they are majorly responsible for their predicament or simply because the society stigmatizes them. Seriously?? You enjoy the stigma and in your judgemental mind, they have no right to happiness. They have no right to be happy simply because they are single mums? Are you kidding me? It pricks you when you hear success stories. It pricks you when you see that there are still men around, inspite of the stigma, who marry these women. What is your grudge with these women? Why can't you wish people well? why must you always wanna prove a point with stigma even when there is light at the end of the tunnel ?

You will really need to stop!! Your hatred for these women is sickening!! Gosh! and you call yourself a christian? Damn!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by pickabeau1: 10:56am On Jul 25, 2014
Tragic...

Hate? undecided
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by pickabeau1: 10:57am On Jul 25, 2014
Really confounding...

TV01:

It's the "new morality". Objection or disagreement to anything that anyone chooses to do is now termed "hate". People must always be affirmed in their choices - regardless of the outcomes - or you are a hater.

Where choices are glaringly immoral or wrong, statute and shaming will be used to persecute and condemn dissenting voices or contrary opinion

"The world", ensuring "conformity" since the fall. But now it's doing so pro-actively.

TV
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:04am On Jul 25, 2014
Reality. ......perception. ......

TV's opinion does not mean jack to the countless mothers brothers fathers sisters out there who will counsel their intending brother against getting married to someone with a child already.

One can choose to ignore reality, ignoring the consequences of ignoring reality is a totally different ball game all together.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by zeb04(f): 11:07am On Jul 25, 2014
I see the men here trying to prove that as a single mum,it will take *spiritual intervention* to get married. Well I think this is BS.

There is nothing wrong being a single mum. There is everything wrong if you feel your child is a product of shame nd you have to treat every fellow as a lottery even if you suffer mistreatments.

The men trying to make it look like a curse will be saying something different if they were advising their sisters.

As a single mum,don't put up with any mistreatments and don't settle for less than you deserve in any r/ship(having a child,don't make you less of a woman) this is so important because your kids are watching you. If you date someone who mistreats you,you are telling them that type of behaviour is okay.

Am not so concerned about you finding a man....am more concerned about you passing low self esteem to your child.

Finally if I were to be pregnant today,I wld prefer to be a single mum than have an abortion. Peace

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by coogar: 11:30am On Jul 25, 2014
zeb04:
Finally if I were to be pregnant today,I wld prefer to be a single mum than have an abortion. Peace

and that would be because your motive is to milk the unfortunate man dry. you are not keeping the baby to score morality points, you are keeping it cos it can pave way to monthly stipends from the father of the child.
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by zeb04(f): 11:36am On Jul 25, 2014
coogar:

and that would be because your motive is to milk the unfortunate man dry. you are not keeping the baby to score morality points, you are keeping it cos it can pave way to monthly stipends from the father of the child.
ok mr coogar. You are entitled to your opinion.
Re: Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences? by coogar: 11:38am On Jul 25, 2014
zeb04: ok mr coogar. You are entitled to your opinion.

which is always 100% accurate, anyways. if you think single motherhood is the new cool then may all your sons marry single mothers of 6 children from previous relationships.

say a loud amen to my prayer. grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Parents This Is What Your Children Say About You Outside / Zimbabwean Man Divorces Wife For Shouting Ex-Lover's Name During Love Making / Is There Anything As A Destined Wife/husband.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.