Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,690 members, 7,823,945 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community (8262 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike. / Igbo Deities Across Igboland....give Your Community/town's Own! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by 500GP: 7:53am On Jul 24, 2014
COLLECTION OF EXPENSIVE BRIDE PRICE. IT CAN LEAD THE GROOM ASTRAY.

#THAT CULTURE KILL PASS
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Amuga(f): 7:54am On Jul 24, 2014
shejane:

What part of Nigeria pls
kogi state
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 24, 2014
Atmmachine: Many konji among the female folk, i got rape.d by 5 married women.. i couldn't walk for two days. cool cool cool cool

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

U wish
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by ucheokpara100(m): 9:19am On Jul 24, 2014
Dis false and brain washin traditions are introduced by old lazy thiefs then called chief, nt we hv new generation con men cultures introduced by pastors over takin d ones of old fools, new once now are, pray against any evil net hanging ur prayers on d air, evry evil swallowing ur cold prayers cause thy are nt hot enough 4 d devil reasons being ur nt riteous enough 2 produce hot prayers, etc
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by MGeey(f): 9:24am On Jul 24, 2014
Amuga: kogi state

We have it in some part of Akwa Ibom State. It's called "ekpo nka owo"
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by stpat1(m): 9:36am On Jul 24, 2014
samflexxy: Am from a community were if a married woman is cauth with another man she would be striped naked in front of the whole community.she will also be banned from going to the market or attending any social gatherings while the man.Do u think its fair?

You should have mentioned the community. That's the only way we can learn.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by raystanley(m): 9:41am On Jul 24, 2014
shejane: I hate the way people look down on divorce women or single mothers

Mostly how a man will throw his wife out without nuffn

I belv if a man is tired of d marriage or his wife, he shd leave d house and go not d woman
And the woman will then, invite another man in ur house...
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 24, 2014
willorie:

earnestly l like it dat Traditions are fading......l just pray it's fade fast in my own community
Why?
Calling Fulaman198

2 Likes

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by hensben(m): 10:29am On Jul 24, 2014
The only reason I want some tradition to be abolish is that it favour men a lot over women, it make some illiterate men to oppress their wife a lot even some literate men oppress their wife too

1 Like

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by fairlyisabel(f): 10:49am On Jul 24, 2014
babymama3: I dislike that we don't have the tradition of men using their wives to do Kola for visitors as is done in some Benue community
Na to target one berra bobo and ask him to visit often grin

Hahahahahahaha
hahahahaha madam BM na your own i take o. I sorry for women who marry from the village where it is a taboo for a woman to cheat while is ceremonious for a man to do so. Una pele o
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by KMB: 11:19am On Jul 24, 2014
Genital mutilation

1 Like

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Mbediogu(m): 11:24am On Jul 24, 2014
xynerise: Eating Ona---A yam-like food, is a taboo.

WTF!! I ate is so many times before I was told. undecided
You must be an Uratta person from Owerri North.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by djeoziv(m): 11:24am On Jul 24, 2014
....they know nothing about u and Ur family....

Then all if a sudden from no where, they come and say u all must see Ur kindred before Ur daughter gets married......

.who give a fvvk about them......

I'm breaking the tradition anyways....

#team no tradition.
#psquared....

3 Likes

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by avuekwe(f): 11:57am On Jul 24, 2014
I only got to learn of the tradition of a certain village in abia state, the men from that village only marry women from their village but their women can marry from any state but preferably d next village. The village starts with 'I'. Ladies should find out about dis beforehand cos in my own case, u'll regret it when it's too late.

Another tradition is paying bride price to the father of the girl whether he was responsible for her upkeep or not. If a woman struggles to take care of her children singlehandedly, the bride price should be hers or bettter still, pay it to the law court.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Gold45(f): 12:00pm On Jul 24, 2014
xynerise: Eating Ona---A yam-like food, is a taboo.

WTF!! I ate is so many times before I was told. undecided

Which village are you from? Ona isn't found everywhere. I love that food.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by xynerise: 12:01pm On Jul 24, 2014
Mbediogu:
You must be an Uratta person from Owerri North.
Ehime-Mbano
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by buchibabe: 12:09pm On Jul 24, 2014
my community-
wen a woman is packing or moving out of her husbands home or her marriage out of her own volition, and her husbqnd mistakenly helps her pick up an item that fell out from her belongings , it automatically means d husband sent her away even if thats not d case.

so its beta d husband sits and watches his wife strugglng to move her tins than to help . if not na for him head o
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by aieromon(m): 12:12pm On Jul 24, 2014
Opiosko: Pls can u give some details abt the bolded. I think it's just superstitious scare tactics.

As a married woman in Esan land,you dare not commit adultery. Na you go take your mouth confess your sins.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by AriDsexy(f): 12:14pm On Jul 24, 2014
Amuga: Exactly what i thought until it happen to my cousin. I 've not being to my village for 13yrs now so i thought as a christain, couple with the fact that we were not raise up there it wont have an effect.
Now concerning the bolded, this is how it works. When a married woman commits adultery, it will not have an effect on her immediately till she have sex with her own husband.
The effects are; she immediately become sick and wont get better no matter the medication
given to that individual,
She will also begin to act like someone with a high fever.
But in some other tradition,it is the husband and children that would be affected...like husband falling sick and children too.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by AriDsexy(f): 12:19pm On Jul 24, 2014
hensben: The only reason I want some tradition to be abolish is that it favour men a lot over women, it make some illiterate men to oppress their wife a lot even some literate men oppress their wife too

Yes....some men will sit outside their houses drinking sapele water while their wives fends for the family
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 24, 2014
Where i come from, when a married women commits adultery it doesn't show immediately but with time, her entire family will be wiped off until she confesses and the necessary sacrifice performed.

There are also some things they do during some festivals that I don't fins funny.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by beeevan: 1:03pm On Jul 24, 2014
Bride price should be abolished.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Depot(m): 1:22pm On Jul 24, 2014
Where I come from, we don't kill snakes. Snakes sometimes invade people's houses only for you to get a stick and take them away. But I came to realize that they are all superstitious believe because my cousin that came from the states one used his pump action to kill 1 after I warned him not to kill it, but he persisted and yet nothing happened to him.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Amuga(f): 1:23pm On Jul 24, 2014
[quote

author=AriDsexy]
But in some other tradition,it is the husband and children that would be
affected...like husband falling sick and children too.[/quote] I dont
know about that. But in my area, it's the wife that would be affected,
and that is better.Let the owner of the load carry her stuff.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by AriDsexy(f): 1:33pm On Jul 24, 2014
Amuga: I dont
know about that. But in my area, it's the wife that would be affected,
and that is better.Let the owner of the load carry her stuff.
Very correct

1 Like

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:13pm On Jul 24, 2014
Delete away!
Last Bullet
I v no beefing for deities.
My concern is about my communities way of socializing, celebrating & showing off!
I hate it when MC especially the female ones at engagement ceremonies keep using diff tactics to obtain money from groom's family. You ll see a situation whereby they ll be demanding for housewives money, neighbourhood children's money, elder's money etc.
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by willorie(f): 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2014
Apatheist:
Why?
Calling Fulaman198

r u seriously asking me "why"?......it's like u've not come across some uncalled-for, rudeness & insignificant traditions b4
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 24, 2014
willorie:

r u seriously asking me "why"?......it's like u've not come across some uncalled-for, rudeness & insignificant traditions b4
Not all of them.
Your ancestors survived millennia with them
Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Fulaman198(m): 4:40pm On Jul 24, 2014
Apatheist:
Why?
Calling Fulaman198

I'll be here soon my phone is at its last moments

1 Like

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by kingston277(m): 5:16pm On Jul 24, 2014
ucheokpara100: Dis false and brain washin traditions are introduced by old lazy thiefs then called chief, nt we hv new generation con men cultures introduced by pastors over takin d ones of old fools, new once now are, pray against any evil net hanging ur prayers on d air, evry evil swallowing ur cold prayers cause thy are nt hot enough 4 d devil reasons being ur nt riteous enough 2 produce hot prayers, etc
Old fools?
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1554585_african-productivity_jpeg73ad16662aab95c5e70965fc917f4ece[/img]

Some people just enjoy backwardness as long as they remain far away from their forefathers.

1 Like

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by Fulaman198(m): 5:55pm On Jul 24, 2014
Apatheist:
Why?
Calling Fulaman198

Some people are like that, I'll expand upon what I'm saying.

There is no best/worst tradition in this world. Every tradition has its good and bad. Why is there no perfect tradition? Human beings are not perfect. Everywhere you travel around the world, you will notice and see vast imperfections.

So to the woman who says that she wishes for all tradition to dissipate from the face of this earth, she says so out of complete Naivete.

4 Likes

Re: What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community by bashfat9mm: 6:41pm On Jul 24, 2014
[6:54pm, 7/23/2014] Bashman2082: Pls click like wen u login
[6:54pm, 7/23/2014] Bashman2082: https://m.facebook.com/tourismambassador/photos/a.615062018592100.1073741828.615001271931508/624304781001157/?type=1&lul&_rdr

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? / Nri Kingdom (Igbo) / African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.