Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? (1086 Views)

The Best Way To Ask For Salary Increase From Your Boss And Get It ! / How Do I Ask For Salary Increase? / Roles And Responsibilities At An Oil Rig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by sheis: 6:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ajanlekoko, Jarus and all,
How do I ask for more responsibilities without sounding like a redundant employee?

I handle most of the accounting functions of a branch in my organisation. The branch became autonomous recently and my job responsibilities have reduced. I have not gotten more responsibilities and I feel my capabilities are being
underutilized even with my professional qualification.

NB: The said branch is outside Lagos.
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by AjanleKoko: 6:29pm On Jul 23, 2014
sheis: Ajanlekoko, Jarus and all,
How do I ask for more responsibilities without sounding like a redundant employee?

I handle most of the accounting functions of a branch in my organisation. The branch became autonomous recently and my job responsibilities have reduced. I have not gotten more responsibilities and I feel my capabilities are being

Normally you would pitch this to your boss. So long as your boss is alright, and not an insecure person who might interprete that as an attempt to widen your sphere of influence.
The best way to pitch is to look at areas that you think need attention, discuss with your oga and volunteer yourself. It's as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by since1914(m): 10:09pm On Jul 23, 2014
sheis: Ajanlekoko, Jarus and all,

very impressive...I wish most young people thought like like this. We all keep talking about the obligations employers have towards employees, but very few people ever think of the responsibilities employees should have towards their employers.
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by sheis: 11:45pm On Jul 23, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Normally you would pitch this to your boss. So long as your boss is alright, and not an insecure person who might interprete that as an attempt to widen your sphere of influence.
The best way to pitch is to look at areas that you think need attention, discuss with your oga and volunteer yourself. It's as simple as that.

Wow, what an insight you've got there, I will do as you have suggested. My main concern was how to present the issue to my boss without sounding like my services are no longer needed.
I still have other job functions but I want more, something challenging.
Thank you.
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by birdman(m): 12:16am On Jul 24, 2014
Find something that is being overlooked by everyone that you think will add some value to your boss or company. It could be something that just fell off radar for whatever reason. If need be, you can compare competitor's processes and see what you can add to match it in your company. Begin working on those tasks first, in addition to your regular duties, then mention it to your boss once you have something tangible and valuable to show for it. By tangible results, it doesn't have to be months of work. You need just enough groundwork to explain your self to bossman and get green light to continue. This way you have talked your boss into giving you more responsibility.

Of course it goes without saying that you must massage your approach to the personality/mood of your boss. If this unimpresses him, start your long term plan to exit what will be a dead-end job for you

1 Like

Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by BlackSwan: 6:38pm On Jul 24, 2014
Lol, how unusual. My former boss would have made you regret asking for more duties.

Anyway if they are paying you more then no qualms smiley
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by AjanleKoko: 7:04pm On Jul 24, 2014
BlackSwan: Lol, how unusual. My former boss would have made you regret asking for more duties.

That can be interpreted in two ways:

1. You're lazy, so if they bring real work your way, you run.

2. Your boss is a total sadist.
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by sheis: 10:40pm On Jul 24, 2014
Thank you birdman and everyone.

@blackswan, it depends on what you want. Some bosses can be mean though. You can't put your career on hold because of your boss, if you have a clear definition of your goals, nobody will stop you.
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by BlackSwan: 4:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
How far OP? Gotten more responsibilities?
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by birdman(m): 2:23am On Jul 29, 2014
BlackSwan: How far OP? Gotten more responsibilities?

in less than a week? haba...
Re: How Do I Ask For More Responsibilities? by sheis: 9:24pm On Aug 01, 2014
BlackSwan: How far OP? Gotten more responsibilities?
Not yet, but I have spoken with my boss.
Thanks everyone.

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Possible Full Meanings Of Some Of These Accounting Codes? / Cehv9 Is Here / How It Is To Live As A Doctor In Victoria Islands, Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.