Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 (14674 Views)

114 Babies Delivered As RCCG Convention Ends (Photo) / Word Of Faith Convention 2014 Starts Today / Amazing Miracles Awaits You At Christ Elects Convention 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 8:55pm On Jul 23, 2014
On 29th August 2013, the first ever e-convention was convened on nairaland www.nairaland.com/1416947/welcome-e-grace-convention-2013. The subject of discuss was mainly the grace of God manifested to all men. We had basically nairalanders present papers and it was a real blessing.

In the build up to the grace convention of last year, Goshen360, the convener, tgirl4real and myself, organized the program privately and decided on the speakers and topics. Some people were unhappy with our choice of speakers; so we decided then that if ever there will be another, the choices will be made more openly.

Therefore this thread is created as a fore runner to the GRACE CONVENTION 2014! Here nlanders will choose who they want to hear from and you would decide what topics you want discussed. However, Goshen and I will act as moderators to ensure the thread is not too open ended. To ensure this, I will enumerate some basic rules that would guide us in the choice of teachers and topics:

1. The central theme of the convention is GRACE: the grace of God revealed to all men in Jesus. Therefore all topics and subtopics must be related to grace. It doesn't have to mean that the word grace must be in the topic, it simply means that the topic must be biblical, for which God's grace is a central theme.

2. Speakers must be professing Christians.

3. Topics can also include life issues that cannot be divorced from the Christian life.

4. Suggestions are welcome but final choice of topics and speakers shall rest with the moderators though you can count on it that we shall be as fair as humanly possible.

5. This rule section shall be updated through the discuss and so suggestions for rules are welcome but will be ratified by moderators.

6. Moderators for the thread are Goshen360 and DrummaBoy.

We encourage you to make insightful suggestions and to avoid snide remarks.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2014
Some of the discussions that I have heard with brethren here have been heated ones. I was hoping this years convention will allow for a similitude of ecumenism, where despite our differences in opinions, we can still speak as one voice concerning matters of God's kingdom.

For these reasons, I would like to see some of the following people present papers at this year's convention:

striktlymi
Bidam
Image123
Alwaystrue
Gombs
Tgirl4real
Peter007
PastorKun
trustman
BabaGnoni
Goshen360
frosbel
Candour
Boomark
truthislight
Enigma (where is he?)
Joagbaje
Ihedinobi2
OLAADEGBU
christembassey
nlmediator
MrAnony1
PastorOluT
shdemidemi
Pastor AIO
Ayoku777
nuclearboy
DrummaBoy
ichuka
Yooguyz
alexleo
MarkMiwerds
nep2ra
nora544
banom
Ajibam
ubenedictus
Inesqor
SisterMe
bookmark
UyiIredia
italo
Ishilove

I will list others as I remember them.

I hope you see this on the mention list and post your opinion here.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Gombs(m): 10:09pm On Jul 24, 2014
DrummaBoy: On 29th August 2013, the first ever e-convention was convened on nairaland www.nairaland.com/1416947/welcome-e-grace-convention-2013. The subject of discuss was mainly the grace of God manifested to all men. We had basically nairalanders present papers and it was a real blessing.

In the build up to the grace convention of last year, Goshen360, the convener, tgirl4real and myself, organized the program privately and decided on the speakers and topics. Some people were unhappy with our choice of speakers; so we decided then that if ever there will be another, the choices will be made more openly.

Therefore this thread is created as a fore runner to the GRACE CONVENTION 2014! Here nlanders will choose who they want to hear from and you would decide what topics you want discussed. However, Goshen and I will act as moderators to ensure the thread is not too open ended. To ensure this, I will enumerate some basic rules that would guide us in the choice of teachers and topics:

1. The central theme of the convention is GRACE: the grace of God revealed to all men in Jesus. Therefore all topics and subtopics must be related to grace. It doesn't have to mean that the word grace must be in the topic, it simply means that the topic must be biblical, for which God's grace is a central theme.

2. Speakers must be professing Christians.

3. Topics can also include life issues that cannot be divorced from the Christian life.

4. Suggestions are welcome but final choice of topics and speakers shall rest with the moderators though you can count on it that we shall be as fair as humanly possible.

5. This rule section shall be updated through the discuss and so suggestions for rules are welcome but will be ratified by moderators.

6. Moderators for the thread are Goshen360 and DrummaBoy.

We encourage you to make insightful suggestions and to avoid snide remarks.

Thank you.

Why? undecided
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Tgirl4real(f): 10:31pm On Jul 24, 2014
DrummaBoy: Some of the discussions that I have heard with brethren here have been heated ones. I was hoping this years convention will allow for a similitude of ecumenism, where despite our differences in opinions, we can still speak as one voice concerning matters of God's kingdom.

For these reasons, I would like to see some of the following people present papers at this year's convention:

stryktlimi
Bidam
Image123
Alwaystrue
Gombs
Tgirl4real
Peter007
PastorKun
trustman
BabaGnoni
Goshen360
frosbel
candour
Boomark
truthislight
Enigma (where is he?)
Joagbaje
Ihedinobi2
OLAADEGBU
christembassey
nlmediator

Hello sir, I saw the opening post and I planned to buzz u later.

I particularly do not support (religion) ecumenism. There's no way you can have different doctrines and say the same thing. One side will have to compromise to accommodate the other.

2 Likes

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 11:12pm On Jul 24, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Hello sir, I saw the opening post and I planned to buzz u later.

I particularly do not support (religion) ecumenism. There's no way you can have different doctrines and say the same thing. One side will have to compromise to accommodate the other.

Hey Mama

I agree.

That's why I called it a "similitude of ecumenism".

Its humbling to know that despite our differences, we will all share Gods kingdom together. We had better not think God is compromising to make such accommodation for us all.

I had even thought of organizing a meeting were we could all meet and talk face to face but maybe we can start from here.

There is one name we all profess, JESUS, I am sure we can find a common ground on Him somewhere.

2 Likes

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 11:17pm On Jul 24, 2014
Gombs:

Why? undecided

Because its an initiative of Goshen360 and I am just a support.

Someone has to do the job.

Never mind. We will endeavor to be fair.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Gombs(m): 5:06am On Jul 25, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Because its an initiative of Goshen360 and I am just a support.

So, this is the best reason u have?

Someone has to do the job.

Hmmm... shedemidemi and frosbel would assist u both too?

Never mind. We will endeavor to be fair.

Fair? Heheheheheheh, like that tithe thread u moderated between Mark Miwerds and Image123?

*spreads mat, and keep watching
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Tgirl4real(f): 9:18am On Jul 25, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Hey Mama

I agree.

That's why I called it a "similitude of ecumenism".

Its humbling to know that despite our differences, we will all share Gods kingdom together. We had better not think God is compromising to make such accommodation for us all.

I had even thought of organizing a meeting were we could all meet and talk face to face but maybe we can start from here.

There is one name we all profess, JESUS, I am sure we can find a common ground on Him somewhere.

There are some differences that makes it clear that we serve 2 diff Jesus'. grin

I know you re trying to foster unity, but things will always be like this. 'Everybody' can not believe the same thing cos of 'human interpretation/personal revelation' of scriptures.

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by BabaGnoni: 9:27am On Jul 25, 2014
Tgirl4real:

There are some differences that makes it clear that we serve 2 diff Jesus'. grin

I know you re trying to foster unity, but things will always be like this.
'Everybody' can not believe the same thing cos of 'human interpretation/personal revelation' of scriptures.

"You can’t control everything:Turmoil, conflict, chaos, this is part of life.
Look at any playground:
The screaming, the laughter, the tears,
out of the mayhem comes out relationship and love
and the simple joy of being surprised by life.
"
- God, Joan of Arcadia

2 Likes

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Tgirl4real(f): 9:33am On Jul 25, 2014
BabaGnoni:

Look at any playground:
"
- God, Joan of Arcadia

Nice!
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 10:55am On Jul 25, 2014
Tgirl4real:

I know you re trying to foster unity, but things will always be like this. 'Everybody' can not believe the same thing cos of 'human interpretation/personal revelation' of scriptures.

T-Mama

I no dare disagree with you o but...

Let's give it a try...OK? Pls??

So what's your suggestion for an e-convention this year?
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 25, 2014
The title of the thread attracted me here. Didn't see the 'mention' cause you missed d 'y' in striktlymi.

The last convention was successful in my opinion. I bet this one would be an improvement on the last.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 11:14am On Jul 25, 2014
BabaGnoni:

Look at any playground:
"
- God, Joan of Arcadia

A very apt quote towards the convention.

Let me relay a story, I hope I get the details bc its been sometimes I read it:

On 31st October 1517 Martin Luther approached the doors of a prominent cathedral in the city of Wittenberg and nailed a 95 point theses on the errors of the RCC on its doors. By the time the dust settled, the Reformation had begun.

Three prominent figures spearhead the reform efforts of those days: Martin Luther (Germany); Huldrych Zwingli (Zurich) and John Calvin (Geneva). They agreed on three major points on Protestantism: Justification; Sola Scriptura; and Priesthood of all Saints. But they disagreed on minor issues like the Lord's Supper.

Luther would have been killed by the powers of Rome if not for the rulers of his country who, for reason God alone knows, were ready to defend him, even with military might. Zwingli did not have this advantage in Zurich. The point arrived when Zwingli and his followers had to defend their doctrine and lives against the encroachment of Catholic military. Luther looked the other way, possibly bc of differences in doctrine. Zwingli went to war and was killed.

John Calvin had suggested a middle point for Luther and Zwingli on the matter of the Lords Supper. They both refused it. Today the view of most non Catholics on the Lords Supper follow Calvin's interpretation.

Morale: The bible commands us to hold the truth in love. Not for truth sake we forsake love or for love sake we forsake truth. The worst of heretics are still mostly honest men and most of us have been in those shoes before.

I trust God to give understanding.

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 11:15am On Jul 25, 2014
striktlymi: The title of the thread attracted me here. Didn't see the 'mention' cause you missed d 'y' in striktlymi.

The last convention was successful in my opinion. I bet this one would be an improvement on the last.

Forgive me for the error. The correction is heeded.

Thank you.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Tgirl4real(f): 11:51am On Jul 25, 2014
DrummaBoy:

T-Mama

I no dare disagree with you o but...

Let's give it a try...OK? Pls??

So what's your suggestion for an e-convention this year?

I'm sorry sir...I beg to be excused. Thanks. cheesy
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Tgirl4real(f): 11:56am On Jul 25, 2014
DrummaBoy:

A very apt quote towards the convention.

Let me relay a story, I hope I get the details bc its been sometimes I read it:

On 31st October 1517 Martin Luther approached the doors of a prominent cathedral in the city of Wittenberg and nailed a 95 point theses on the errors of the RCC on its doors. By the time the dust settled, the Reformation had begun.

Three prominent figures spearhead the reform efforts of those days: Martin Luther (Germany); Huldrych Zwingli (Zurich) and John Calvin (Geneva). They agreed on three major points on Protestantism: Justification; Sola Scriptura; and Priesthood of all Saints. But they disagreed on minor issues like the Lord's Supper.

Luther would have been killed by the powers of Rome if not for the rulers of his country who, for reason God alone knows, were ready to defend him, even with military might. Zwingli did not have this advantage in Zurich. The point arrived when Zwingli and his followers had to defend their doctrine and lives against the encroachment of Catholic military. Luther looked the other way, possibly bc of differences in doctrine. Zwingli went to war and was killed.

John Calvin had suggested a middle point for Luther and Zwingli on the matter of the Lords Supper. They both refused it. Today the view of most non Catholics on the Lords Supper follow Calvin's interpretation.

Morale: The bible commands us to hold the truth in love. Not for truth sake we forsake love or for love sake we forsake truth. The worst of heretics are still mostly honest men and most of us have been in those shoes before.

I trust God to give understanding.

A very interesting read. Can you expantiate further by giving us these 2 positions on the Lord's supper? Thanks.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Goshen360(m): 2:47pm On Jul 25, 2014
First, I'll like to thank my brother, DrummaBoy for always having my back on project like this due to the fact he understand my busy schedule. God bless him much

2. I will like to take the honor and permission of all to announce the general theme under which the speakers of this year's convention will be speaking.

3. I will like us to agree how many days and sessions in each day we will have and this will determine how many speakers will will all nominate. For instance, if we agree 3 days and 3 sessions for each day, it means we will have 9 speakers and so, we much nominate 9 speakers.

4. After we conclude on (3) above, we will move to suggested topics. DrummaBoy & I will then work on those topics to see who speak on what topic or the other.

5. I will proceed to add to the list of speakers DrummaBoy already suggested and we can move on to nomination.

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Goshen360(m): 2:50pm On Jul 25, 2014
DrummaBoy:

striktlymi
Bidam
Image123
Alwaystrue
Gombs
Tgirl4real
Peter007
PastorKun
trustman
BabaGnoni
Goshen360
frosbel
candour
Boomark
truthislight
Enigma (where is he?)
Joagbaje
Ihedinobi2
OLAADEGBU
christembassey
nlmediator
MrAnony1
PastorOluT
shdemidemi
Pastor AIO
Ayoku777
Nuclearboy
DrummaBoy

In addition, I suggest\add to the list, ichuka be added. You covered most people on my mind already.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:55pm On Jul 25, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Some of the discussions that I have heard with brethren here have been heated ones. I was hoping this years convention will allow for a similitude of ecumenism, where despite our differences in opinions, we can still speak as one voice concerning matters of God's kingdom.

striktlymi
Bidam
Image123
Alwaystrue
Gombs
Tgirl4real
Peter007
PastorKun
trustman
BabaGnoni
Goshen360
frosbel
candour
Boomark
truthislight
Enigma (where is he?)
Joagbaje
Ihedinobi2
OLAADEGBU
christembassey
nlmediator
MrAnony1
PastorOluT
shdemidemi
Pastor AIO
Ayoku777
Nuclearboy
DrummaBoy

Thanks but no thanks for the ecumenical invitation extended to me. smiley

3 Likes

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 3:58pm On Jul 25, 2014
Goshen360:

In addition, I suggest\add to the list, ichuka be added. You covered most people on my mind already.

added

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

It's noted.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Lol@ecumenical...some peeps just wont get it.SMH
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Yooguyz: 8:53pm On Jul 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

you ecumenical? A laugh in spanish! Do you even know what ecumenical means? grin

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 8:55pm On Jul 25, 2014
Bidam: Lol@ecumenical...some peeps just wont get it.SMH

Get what exactly?

BTW, yooguyz, I see you. You are also invited to the "party".
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Yooguyz: 8:56pm On Jul 25, 2014
@Drummaboy, this is a good one. Thumbs up. Am in full support of the thread. I never knew you were an ecumenist like myself.
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 9:14pm On Jul 25, 2014
Yooguyz: @Drummaboy, this is a good one. Thumbs up. Am in full support of the thread. I never knew you were an ecumenist like myself.

Thank you Yooguyz.

Truth is, I am not exactly an ecumenist. I have my reservation about ecumenism.

But I know enough to discern Christ body on this forum to call his people together for a united purpose. I hope we can fulfill purpose on this thread.

I hope you will come along as we proceed?
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Yooguyz: 9:19pm On Jul 25, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Thank you Yooguyz.

Truth is, I am not exactly an ecumenist. I have my reservation about ecumenism.

But I know enough to discern Christ body on this forum to call his people together for a united purpose. I hope we can fulfill purpose on this thread.

I hope you will come along as we proceed?

Yes am fully behind you guys. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Gombs(m): 1:43am On Jul 26, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

grin
I smell another anti tither's grace convention like last year's... now, I feel folks (except anti tithers) won't accept this invitation on the grounds of insincerity on the part of the moderators ( not because they are anti tithers, candour for example has a better pedigree than they both), and since this thread would be grossly dominated by anti tithers and probably atheists, we can clearly assume insults would be an inevitable part of the thread as it is known to be difficult to have a civil discussion with anti tithers without them hauling invectives and insults.

And the idea of an ecumenical thread! I laff in swahili... maybe possible if and only if some new folks man it... but Goshen ft DB in moderation? Talk about garlic and onion...imagine the combination of both! grin

Imagine Kunle and shedemidemi in d mix... 2014 'grace convention' would be a defining part of NL religion section this year...thanks to the data loss.

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by DrummaBoy(m): 7:31am On Jul 26, 2014
Gombs:

grin
I smell another anti tither's grace convention like last year's... now, I feel folks (except anti tithers) won't accept this invitation on the grounds of insincerity on the part of the moderators ( not because they are anti tithers, candour for example has a better pedigree than they both), and since this thread would be grossly dominated by anti tithers and probably atheists, we can clearly assume insults would be an inevitable part of the thread as it is known to be difficult to have a civil discussion with anti tithers without them hauling invectives and insults.

And the idea of an ecumenical thread! I laff in swahili... maybe possible if and only if some new folks man it... but Goshen ft DB in moderation? Talk about garlic and onion...imagine the combination of both! grin

Imagine Kunle and shedemidemi in d mix... 2014 'grace convention' would be a defining part of NL religion section this year...thanks to the data loss.

"'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance ; we sang a dirge , and you did not mourn.' Matthew 11:17 ESV

1 Like

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by shdemidemi(m): 7:32am On Jul 26, 2014
@Gombs

If you are like this as a man, I wonder what a female version of you would be like.

4 Likes

Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Gombs(m): 7:55am On Jul 26, 2014
shdemidemi: @Gombs

If you are like this as a man, I wonder what a female version of you would be like.

grin grin
Re: The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 26, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Get what exactly?

You know exactly what am talking about.cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Why The Earth Surface Looks Flat / Is It Sinful To Deny Christ Under Threat Of Death? / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 2
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.