Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Can One Change Fields When Going For A Higher Degree? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can One Change Fields When Going For A Higher Degree? (767 Views)

What To Bring Along When Going For JAMB Exam 2016 / Should Teachers Be Considered A Higher Degree Field, Such As Being A Doctor? / Btw Dentistry Nd Medicine,whc Z Mor Tougher Nd Whc Has A Higher Employment Rate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can One Change Fields When Going For A Higher Degree? by MightyFortress: 1:43pm On Jul 24, 2014
This question is for the academicians in the house. A friend of mine is studying Toxicology at M.Sc level, and wishes to switch over to Biotechnology or Molecular Biology for his Phd, since it has always been his desired option. I would like to know if this is possible or if there would be any restrictions at Phd level, due to one's M.Sc. Experienced guys in the house, pls help answer this. Thanks.
Re: Can One Change Fields When Going For A Higher Degree? by TONYE001(m): 12:09pm On May 14, 2016
MightyFortress:
This question is for the academicians in the house. A friend of mine is studying Toxicology at M.Sc level, and wishes to switch over to Biotechnology or Molecular Biology for his Phd, since it has always been his desired option. I would like to know if this is possible or if there would be any restrictions at Phd level, due to one's M.Sc. Experienced guys in the house, pls help answer this. Thanks.

Hello Mightyfortress,

This may be too late..but I'll respond nevertheless.

Outside the shores of our country, there are numerous posibilities..in here, I'm afraid, it may not be possible.

Ideally, when switching fields, depending on the "distance" between the proposed new field and the former, one may be required to do a PGD first.

So, what finally happened to this friend of yours?
Re: Can One Change Fields When Going For A Higher Degree? by MightyFortress: 11:47pm On May 19, 2016
TONYE001:

Hello Mightyfortress,

This may be too late..but I'll respond nevertheless.

Outside the shores of our country, there are numerous possibilities..in here, I'm afraid, it may not be possible.

Ideally, when switching fields, depending on the "distance" between the proposed new field and the former, one may be required to do a PGD first.

So, what finally happened to this friend of yours?

Thanks for your reply.... He dropped the M.Sc in Toxicology and started an M.Sc in Biotechnology programme here in Nigeria....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN: Share Your Post Utme Results Here!! / Has Futa Registration Started? / Who's The Thief? (puzzle)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.