Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 (1306 Views)

PAYPAL Release Full Paypal Features To Nigerian Paypal Users / After Upgrade To Wordpress 4.0 I Am Getting A JS Error / How To Increase Max File Size Upload Limit From 2MB In Wordpress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 by bakenda(m): 4:45pm On Jul 25, 2014
I came across this, and am very excited.....

First there is anticipation, then there is hype and then there is the product. The release of WordPress 4.0 Beta version has put all the hype surrounding it to rest. While it can’t be said WordPress 4.0 is revolutionary, it is definitely evolutionary, that too right from the word Go. In this case though we can say right from the word Install. Here is what to expect of the latest release from the house of WordPress.

Localize your Website with WordPress 4.0

While the previous versions of WordPress supported localization, it was faintly tedious to localize your website. It involved manually uploading the translation files. Enter WordPress 4.0 and localization is made simpler. WordPress 4.0 detects the language of your browser. If it is not English then WordPress prompts you to choose a language of your choice. It also downloads ‘PO’ and ‘MO’ files required for translation.

Media Library

A far as user interface is concerned you will notice a distinct change in the media library layout. By default the media library is displayed as a grid view as opposed to the list view we saw in the previous WordPress versions. However if your preferences lie in the list view of the media library then worry not. WordPress 4.0 provides an option to switch back to the list view.

Plugin Search

The search result for new plugins shows up as a grid paving way for a better user experience. WordPress is calling this view a plugin card table. However it does not add much value to the functionality of plugin search feature.

Moreover, when you click on a certain plugin in WordPress 4.0 it opens as a modal pop up and displays the header image that is set in the WordPress plugin repository page for the plugin. The plugin can be installed both from the modal pop up or the grid view. It’s up to you!

Posting Made Easy in WordPress 4.0

One more feature that will come as a great relief is included in the formatting section. Here the menu bar in the editor will now be fixed on the top of the page even as the user scrolls down. So, now you can spend more of your time editing and less of your time scrolling. Sounds great…doesn’t it?

Another welcome change in this section is that embedding videos in your post has now become a cake walk. All you have to do is enter your video url in the WYSIWYG editor and WordPress 4.0 embeds the video preview in the page edit screen as an iframe. This works for your youtube, vimeo and dailymotion videos. However this does not work for metacafe hosted videos. So, if you want to embed metacafe videos then unfortunately you will have to stick to the manual method.

Widgets Customizing Panel

One more change that has been made in WordPress 4.0 is in the Themes Customization section. Here the widgets gets their own customization panel. This panel is simple to use and offers a better user experience. It can be used to add and remove widgets. These changes will get reflected in the Appearance -> Widgets section.

Overall its a job well done by the WordPress core team. The features do not disappoint. This update will definitely make using WordPress a more enjoyable experience. So if you like what you see 27th August 2014 is the date to watch out for…hopefully ;-)

Feel free to comment about what you think of these latest features in WordPress.

Source
Re: Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 by Billy23(m): 5:03pm On Jul 25, 2014
Am getting Fatal error: Call to undefined function
wp_get_current_user() in /home/www/
neromini.com/wp-includes/class-wp.php
on line 529
help me guys please just of recent my wordpress blog as being showing that error and since am new, i dont know what to do..
Re: Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 by bakenda(m): 5:32pm On Jul 25, 2014
Billy23: Am getting Fatal error: Call to undefined function
wp_get_current_user() in /home/www/
neromini.com/wp-includes/class-wp.php
on line 529
help me guys please just of recent my wordpress blog as being showing that error and since am new, i dont know what to do..

What version are you using?
Did you recently upgraded to a newer version?
Can you access the Admin?
Re: Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 by Billy23(m): 5:44pm On Jul 25, 2014
bakenda:

What version are you using?
Did you recently upgraded to a newer version?
Can you access the Admin?
im using version 3.8 and before when i upgraded to 3.9 it showed the error, i cant access my admin panel.. Tho the first time. Maybe it cud be from my adsense explosion plugin but i cant access my admin
Re: Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 by bakenda(m): 7:32pm On Jul 25, 2014
Billy23:
im using version 3.8 and before when i upgraded to 3.9 it showed the error, i cant access my admin panel.. Tho the first time. Maybe it cud be from my adsense explosion plugin but i cant access my admin

wp-includes/class-wp.php

Let's try this first, download a fresh copy of the version you are using, and upload the
file 'class-wp.php' in the wp-includes folder to the corresponding location on your server,
use an ftp program or cpanel file manager.

Let's see how it goes.
Re: Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 by Billy23(m): 10:49pm On Jul 25, 2014
bakenda:

wp-includes/class-wp.php

Let's try this first, download a fresh copy of the version you are using, and upload the
file 'class-wp.php' in the wp-includes folder to the corresponding location on your server,
use an ftp program or cpanel file manager.

Let's see how it goes.
do i extract the zip file and upload only the class-wp.php?
Re: Features To Expect In Wordpress 4.0 by bakenda(m): 4:23pm On Jul 26, 2014
Billy23:
do i extract the zip file and upload only the class-wp.php?

Yes.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Buy Facebook Page Likes / I Bought A Domain From Godaddy What Next Please / Please, Someone Should Suggest A Good Webdevelopment Company Or Individualto Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.