Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK (553 Views)

Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / FG Condemns Execution Of Two Nigerians In Indonesia For Drug Trafficking / If Benin-ore Road That Was Nigeria's Stubborn Generational Curse Can Be Smooth.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by calebiosu: 5:55pm On Jul 25, 2014
I moved to the U.S. from Lagos when I was six and my mother and brother were my only family but I was still raised in the Nigerian style as most Nigerian parents will do, meaning with the common superstitions and the strict upbringing. I used to resent the way my mother seemed to have such a backwards way of thinking, and that was especially apparent in contrast to American cultures. Not that I would dare call my mother by first name but I expected her to be more "open-minded" but she seemed so set in her ways. As I grew up and saw academic success and the fact that I am now at one of the most elite Universities in the US and in the world, I started to recall how the values I was raised with had really kept me from straying away, when I had thought it was only by my own will that I am where I am. I am interested in getting perspective from young Nigerians in US and UK about having grown up with Nigerian parents outside of Nigeria in socially progressive countries. I think it is important to reflect on our Nigerian identities which is strong in most Nigerians I know, our new western identity and their interplay. Did the Nigerian way you were raised influence you more than your western environment? Did you try to pick and choose what you liked from both cultures? Or would it even not have mattered either way to the way you think now?
Re: A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by Decibel: 5:56pm On Jul 25, 2014
cool cool cool
Re: A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by anago9010(m): 6:03pm On Jul 25, 2014
sorry mates, you are in the wrong place!!!! this place is populated by halfwits dumbbells. that has sold their souls for crumbs to come on blogosphere and spread propaganda and lies to back the current failing government in the country.
Re: A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by meforyou1(m): 6:20pm On Jul 25, 2014
anago9010: sorry mates, you are in the wrong place!!!! this place is populated by halfwits dumbbells. that has sold their souls for crumbs to come on blogosphere and spread propaganda and lies to back the current failing government in the country.
and you osogbo rural herbalist's son, eggheaders being the most foolish of all

3 Likes

Re: A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by anago9010(m): 6:25pm On Jul 25, 2014
meforyou1: and you osogbo rural herbalist's son, eggheaders being the most foolish of all

please animalistic osu, I don't jawjaw with obsessed charlatans. whose unicellular brain have been blocked by excess cholesterol blocking the neurons in their non functional brain.
Re: A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by meforyou1(m): 7:27pm On Jul 25, 2014
anago9010:

please animalistic osu, I don't jawjaw with obsessed charlatans. whose unicellular brain have been blocked by excess cholesterol blocking the neurons in their non functional brain.
exposing you caused me my alternate moniker to be banned till 2018.
This me for you moniker is very precious to me. Can't bandy words with u with this

1 Like

Re: A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by calebiosu: 10:57pm On Jul 25, 2014
I accidentally posted this to Politics, but I don't know how to delete it.

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu’s Contributions To Democracy In Nigeria By Fetus Igbala / China Offers Bonus For Mother's Moniker / Ebola Alert! FG Stops Transportation Of Corpses Into Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.