Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,607 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK (523 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? / Ask An African-american A Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Question For Young Generational Nigerians In US And UK by calebiosu: 6:03pm On Jul 25, 2014
I moved to the U.S. from Lagos when I was six and my mother and brother were my only family but I was still raised in the Nigerian style as most Nigerian parents will do, meaning with the common superstitions and the strict upbringing. I used to resent the way my mother seemed to have such a backwards way of thinking, and that was especially apparent in contrast to American cultures. Not that I would dare call my mother by first name but I expected her to be more "open-minded" but she seemed so set in her ways. As I grew up and saw academic success and the fact that I am now at one of the most elite Universities in the US and in the world, I started to recall how the values I was raised with had really kept me from straying away, when I had thought it was only by my own will that I am where I am. I am interested in getting perspective from young Nigerians in US and UK about having grown up with Nigerian parents outside of Nigeria in socially progressive countries. I think it is important to reflect on our Nigerian identities which is strong in most Nigerians I know, our new western identity and their interplay. Did the Nigerian way you were raised influence you more than your western environment? Did you try to pick and choose what you liked from both cultures? Or would it even not have mattered either way to the way you think now?

(1) (Reply)

Time To Win Big By Just Speaking Your Mother Tongue / Bedbug Fumigation Services / Derivatives Of The Name Ethiopia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.