Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,155 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong (18727 Views)

Can You Really Tell What Tribe A Person Comes From, From Looking At Them? / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 26, 2014
alotofgrace:

inverted, not wrong

Exactly!!... I was expecting to see a clear difference.
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Surely001(m): 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2014
Olekumaster: the problem is i can't locate my hometown "Akutupa Kiri" on the world map. Abeg who dem give d space to?

still cant find my home town here 'CHIBOK'
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by tomiobj(m): 10:43pm On Jul 26, 2014
osystein:

The distortion is the result of the Mercator map which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world

It gives the right shapes of countries but at the cost of distorting sizes in favour of the wealthy lands to the north

For instance, north America looks larger, or at least as big, as Africa, and Greenland also looks of comparable size

In reality, you can fit north America into Africa and still have space for India, Argentina, Tunisia and some left over

Map suggests Scandinavian countries are larger than India, whereas in reality India is three times the size

The biggest challenge for cartographers is that it is impossible to portray reality of spherical world on a flat map

Take a look at a map today, and you’re likely to see that North America is larger than Africa, Alaska is larger than Mexico and China is smaller than Greenland.

But in reality China is four times bigger than Greenland, Africa is three times bigger than North America and Mexico is larger than Alaska.

The distortion is the result of the Mercator projection, the map most commonly seen hanging in classrooms and in text books, which was created in 1596 to help sailors navigate the world.

The Mercator projection, the map most commonly seen
hanging in classrooms and in text books, was created in
1596 to help sailors navigate the world. The familiar map
gives the right shapes of land masses, but at the cost of
distorting their sizes in favour of the wealthy lands to the
north

You might think that the advent of satellite imagery and tools such as Google maps has improved our view of the world, but this isn’t necessarily the case, according to James Wan writing in the Guardian.

Much of this is due to technical reasons, said Mr Wan, while others inconsistences are caused by ideological assumptions that can change the way we see the world.

The biggest challenge is that it is impossible to portray the reality of the spherical world on a flat map – a problem that has haunted cartographers for centuries.

One of the best alternatives to the Mercator projection was
presented in 1974 by D. Arno Peters (pictured). The Gall-
Peters projection makes seeing the relative size of places
much easier. However it also has its flaws as certain places
appear stretched, horizontally near the poles and vertically
near the Equator

continue reading
How won't you people be able to make a round object flat (appear to be). Then you cut out the diameter. Then you open it up then you make it flat usn a computer software. Or you calculate the spherical budge then convert it to land mass
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by bestybee23(f): 9:54am On Jul 27, 2014
the map isnt wrong though, maybe the size... well i dont about that. North American is supposed to be smallar than Africa shall because its just a small fragment that actually pulled out of Africa due to plate movement (plate tectonics). dont just conclude d map is wrong because of d size, there are others factors that has proven the map is correct. works has been done especially btw Africa and North America which has proven right. they ve d same Formation. if you read about the geological history of the universe, u will get to know better that the map is correct and not wrong. give the cartographers some credits because recent geologist has also worked on it and there are evidence to prove its right.
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by UltimateJoseph: 2:44pm On Jul 27, 2014
Olekumaster: the problem is i can't locate my hometown "Akutupa Kiri" on the world map. Abeg who dem give d space to?
Go back to your village and ask the head of native doctors
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 27, 2014
Soknown: Nice article, eye opening no doubt.
But I will have loved to see more data as in mileage. What I mean is, If Africa is from Latitude/longitude 1 to Latitude/Longitude10, what is the distance/mileage between the cardinal points, that should give us a more objective idea of the size of each continent. Until when I have that fact , the present Map suffices.
what's with all the trying to sound learned in cartography..its simply an attempt at cryptic quasi-brilliance..be yourself man
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 27, 2014
UltimateJoseph:
Go back to your village and ask the head of native doctors
lame reply
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Soknown: 3:36pm On Jul 27, 2014
heefeholuwah: what's with all the trying to sound learned in cartography..its simply an attempt at cryptic quasi-brilliance..be yourself man
I smiled when I saw your comment. I want to say that is your opinion and frankly you are entitled to it but that doesn't mean you are right. NO BEEF SIR/MA (As applicable).
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 27, 2014
Soknown:
I smiled when I saw your comment. I want to say that is your opinion and frankly you are entitled to it but that doesn't mean you are right. NO BEEF SIR/MA (As applicable).
maturity is evident..anyways the comment was not an attempt to beef in the first place..just my humble observation

1 Like

Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Soknown: 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
heefeholuwah: maturity is evident..anyways the comment was not an attempt to beef in the first place..just my humble observation
Thanks.
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by ikevin(m): 9:29am On Jul 28, 2014
ademoladeji: . K
mehn, truly I mean no disrespect, but it is really annoying when you guys quote long articles only to write short sentences, just reply simply.

1 Like

Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by ademoladeji(m): 7:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
ikevin: mehn, truly I mean no disrespect, but it is really annoying when you guys quote long articles only to write short sentences, just reply simply.
I will adjust that next time... Sowie brov
Re: Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong by Stephxoblessed(f): 7:08pm On Sep 01, 2014
olu77:

You are welcome. Have u paid your acceptance fee?
What for?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Rides A Horse Home After Attending Eid El-fitr Prayers / Emir Of Dutse, Nuhu Muhammad Sunusi Is Dead / Emir Sanusi Covers Thisday Style Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.