Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? (17401 Views)

Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by gerona: 9:08am On Jul 26, 2014
I have a baby boy who is 3yrs and sucks his finger. All efforts to stop him has failed. I need help because it is his right finger, I am afraid it may affect his desire to write, his speech and deform the finger and teeth.

PLEASE HELP ME ON HOW BEST TO STOP HIM. Thanks.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by neuljosh(m): 9:24am On Jul 26, 2014
why not buy him a baby dummy. That would save his fingers. Here is what it looks like

16 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 26, 2014
Carry alomo bitters rubb am for those fingers,after testing the bitterness no be person go tell am to stop.

23 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by tyoseni(m): 9:34am On Jul 26, 2014
gerona: I have a baby boy who is 3yrs and sucks his finger. All efforts to stop him has failed. I need help because it is his right finger, I am afraid it may affect his desire to write, his speech and deform the finger and teeth.
PLEASE HELP ME ON HOW BEST TO STOP HIM. Thanks.
It's kind of too late because the child in picture is now a full grown up child. This could have been averted when he was still within the first 4 months of infant age by wearing him hand glove.
Try scare him about the implication of finger sucking if it will work.

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by tyoseni(m): 9:37am On Jul 26, 2014
neuljosh: why not buy him a baby dummy. That would save his fingers. Here is what it looks like
Baby dummy at that aget. Hmmmmm.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by tyoseni(m): 9:38am On Jul 26, 2014
denkyw: Carry alomo bitters rubb am for those fingers,after testing the bitterness no be person go tell am to stop.
The child has grown enough to know you rub something so that he can not suck. This is an action he has adapted to and it's not always he will have alomo bitters in his hand.

Anyway try all the option that you were advice and other that are still coming.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by DeHero1: 9:45am On Jul 26, 2014
You should have stopped him before now. Leave him. He will stop by himself.

If he continues, post it here after 5 years.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Pavore9: 9:47am On Jul 26, 2014
denkyw: Carry alomo bitters rubb am for those fingers,after testing the bitterness no be person go tell am to stop.
For my kid sister who is now in her 20's it was bitterleaf that was used, no be person tell am to stop!

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 26, 2014
Pavore9: For my kid sister who is now in her 20's it was bitterleaf that was used, no be person tell am to stop!
i tells you,hot pepper can do the work better cheesy
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 26, 2014
use grater to wound the thumb, soak the thumb inside hot water and use ground pepper to massage it. because of the injury, he'll stop.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by otobrisesarah(f): 7:31pm On Jul 26, 2014
lamps011: use grater to wound the thumb, soak the thumb inside hot water and use ground pepper to massage it. because of the injury, he'll stop.
haha Na! Dis is 2 severe. I sucked my thumb till I was about twelve-year-old. But some how I stopped.

9 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by bennyrazz: 9:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
you can as well use plaster grin you cut the finger with blade like making an incision then you plaster it round for two weeks. Ordinarily the finger should heal up after 1 day but prolong it by leaving the plaster on for one or two weeks
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by troy20(m): 10:06pm On Jul 26, 2014
rob his/her thumb with bitter leaf always.realy works

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by olorundimu(m): 11:41pm On Jul 26, 2014
Op, none of the above remedies can stop the child from sucking his finger. It's a habit that wanes as the child gets older, most do not last beyond 5 years of age. No application of pepper, bitter leaf, alomo bitter or even deliberately inflicting injury to the affected finger will stop this habit. Show the child tender loving care and be patient with him. The waning process starts during his first few months to one year in school when he gets enough time to mingle with his peers.

My 2cents

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Akbee(m): 5:51am On Jul 27, 2014
dont just worry poor thing!it wl cease sucking its thumb soon.however u cud start getting away its thumb from the hole(mouth) wenever it goes sucking.
.but why are u so worried abt what ur baby is doing?its no big deal na, adults suck sth worse dan ur babies thumb..

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by datguru: 5:51am On Jul 27, 2014
Make sure you always have bitter leaf in the house, when ever you catch him sucking, call him and rub them on all his fingers. It's cool.

I had a little boy like that but the father beat the he'll outta him until he stop out of fear but I don't really like that
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by jayseehe(m): 5:51am On Jul 27, 2014

if I hear say that one go work, the baby go just they drink am dey high grin

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Hardheolar(m): 5:52am On Jul 27, 2014
put pepper on her thumb..
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by alaladakosta(f): 5:56am On Jul 27, 2014
If the kid is so use to it. Their is absolutely nothing u can do.

17 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by shadowwalker101: 5:57am On Jul 27, 2014
Rob rob on that thumb
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by bunmioguns(m): 5:58am On Jul 27, 2014
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by tigonana: 6:00am On Jul 27, 2014
;Cut his or her 5fingers till he reach age fifteen nd return it back am sure dat will work grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by chinex276(m): 6:01am On Jul 27, 2014
Lyk some one said earlier ALOMO BITTERS sure pass, bt if u notice d dude avin an ereectiion run 4 ur lyf ooo
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 27, 2014
Any nikka or trouser you wear him should have pockets.
Keep doctor-do-good closeby, & make sure he sees it.
Tell him to pocket his hands
Then make sure he doesn't leave your sight. grin
-------------------------------------------------

Else find work for those idle hands cheesy
You may want to ask him to give you a hand in the kitchen or in petty things just to keep those hands busy.
You can still buy him a hand video game.

#thankmelater cool

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by wickyyolo: 6:03am On Jul 27, 2014
Its not too late. Rub bitter leaf on his finger everyday before he wakes up.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Henrypraise: 6:03am On Jul 27, 2014
tyoseni:
It's kind of too late because the child in picture is now a full grown up child. This could have been averted when he was still within the first 4 months of infant age by wearing him hand glove.
Try scare him about the implication of finger sucking if it will work.

How practicable is dis wearin glove?

My friends beautiful daughter is just 4 months old n she sucks her finger like her life depends on it. We av a tried d glove tin since she was 2months, my dear, babies ar wiser dan we tink, initially she will cry like sumtin is happenin to her n won't suckle breast, in a mata of weeks dis baby already knw how to remove d glove. At the end we allow her be n ensure her hands ar always clean. She is decidin her own life.

The best tin to do is monitor her n ensure her hands ar not dirty. If u get angry at d baby n also force d baby not to suck her fingers, u may be exposing her to psychological inbalance at an early age.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by disloman(m): 6:04am On Jul 27, 2014
neuljosh: why not buy him a baby dummy. That would save his fingers. Here is what it looks like
A 3 yrs old?Haaaaa.What I can say is,Its ur fault 4 not. Stopping him at d early stage.The method used I remembered when we were young is rubbing of bitter leaves on d baby's hand.So whenever he wanted to suck n taste bitter,He removes his thumb from. His mouth.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by habex005(m): 6:04am On Jul 27, 2014
relax,
When the time comes he will stop but let him mix more with his peers............

It always work
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by disloman(m): 6:05am On Jul 27, 2014
DeHero1: You should have stopped him before now. Leave him. He will stop by himself.

If he continues, post it here after 5 years.
Bros!u. Bad ooo.
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by BrAkingNews: 6:06am On Jul 27, 2014
ok
Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Omexonomy: 6:06am On Jul 27, 2014
Dont rub anything in the hand or play any foul play with the finnger. What the child is experiencing is due genetic disorder that disturb some children which will be over by the age of 6 or 7.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop My Baby From Thumb Sucking? by Mostwanted7: 6:06am On Jul 27, 2014
Happy Ed fitri to all muslims....Bon ramadan a tous les musulmans

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

23-year-old Mechanic Disappears, Family Seeks Help / GAY LOVE: Man, 95 Marries 67 Year Old Man Lover With Kisses (PHOTOS) / Wife Makes Hurtful Comments (curses?) To Me. What To Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.