Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Does God Speak To You? How? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Speak To You? How? (26318 Views)

How To Hear God Speak / Did God Speak To Me? Question For All. / Does God Speak To Humans? And How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 11:11am On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:

^^^
LAZARUS was already dead when the message that the one He lived is sick got to Him
- we know this because He told His disciples so on the day He got the message.
Just admit you're unable to explain the 2 days and 4 days thing or better still just put the original site URL you lifted your post from
I copy this from a web.

There are two possible ways to understand the sequence of events that
follow, depending on whether one
believes the Bethany where Jesus is
staying is in the south or the north. If
Bethany is in the south, as most scholars
believe, then it would take the messengers one day to reach Jesus and
one day for Jesus to reach Lazarus. Since
Jesus stayed put for two days and Lazarus
has been dead for four days when Jesus
does arrive, that means Lazarus must
have died on the same day as the messengers set out (cf. Barrett 1978:391).
If Bethany is a reference to Batanea in
the north the timing would be different.
It takes four days to travel from Batanea
to where Lazarus is. Since Jesus arrives
when Lazarus has been dead for four days, Jesus had waited until Lazarus died
before he set out. In either case the two-
day delay does not cause the death of
Lazarus, since Jesus could not have gotten
to him before he died, either because he
was dead before the messengers arrived with their message (southern view) or
because Jesus would only be halfway
there (northern view). In either case the
two-day delay does, however, insure that
Lazarus will have been dead for four days
when Jesus arrives.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by BabaGnoni: 11:44am On Aug 13, 2014
malvisguy212: I copy this from a web.
There are two possible ways to understand the sequence of events that
follow, depending on whether one
believes the Bethany where Jesus is
staying is in the south or the north. If
Bethany is in the south, as most scholars
believe, then it would take the messengers one day to reach Jesus and
one day for Jesus to reach Lazarus. Since
Jesus stayed put for two days and Lazarus
has been dead for four days when Jesus
does arrive, that means Lazarus must
have died on the same day as the messengers set out (cf. Barrett 1978:391).
If Bethany is a reference to Batanea in
the north the timing would be different.
It takes four days to travel from Batanea
to where Lazarus is. Since Jesus arrives
when Lazarus has been dead for four days, Jesus had waited until Lazarus died
before he set out. In either case the two-
day delay does not cause the death of
Lazarus, since Jesus could not have gotten
to him before he died, either because he
was dead before the messengers arrived with their message (southern view) or
because Jesus would only be halfway
there (northern view). In either case the
two-day delay does, however, insure that
Lazarus will have been dead for four days
when Jesus arrives.
^^^
That is exactly the point I wanted realised.
On the day Jesus got the message about Lazarus' sickness, Lazarus was already dead, so there was no need for Jesus to head or rush back. This fact means linking the 2 days - two thousand years doesn't add up and holds no water with the picture painted in your original post. Leave this part off and it makes it a bit more credible or believable.

Here is the breakdown:
Day 1: Mary & Sister sends out message to Jesus
Day 1: Messenger leaves to deliver message to Jesus. It will take messenger a day to reach Jesus.
Day 1: Lazarus unbeknown to messenger has died
Day 2: Messenger delivers message to Jesus that Lazarus is sick
Day 2: Jesus received but knows already that Lazarus is dead.
Day 2: Jesus waits 2 days before heading to Lazarus' place. In the 2 days waitingi, it will take a day to get to Lazarus' place
Day 4: on getting at Lazarus' place, it is confirmed Lazarus was dead four days ago.

So the 2 days waiting has no relevance or any place to be related in the picture your post and Mr Clayton G's was painting

You guys are drawing line on dots made up which aren't related to the picture you were painting.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:07pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:
^^^
That is exactly the point I wanted realised.
On the day Jesus got the message about Lazarus' sickness, Lazarus was already dead, so there was no need for Jesus to head or rush back. This fact means linking the 2 days - two thousand years doesn't add up and holds no water with the picture painted in your original post. Leave this part off and it makes it a bit more credible or believable.

Here is the breakdown:
Day 1: Mary & Sister sends out message to Jesus
Day 1: Messenger leaves to deliver message to Jesus. It will take messenger a day to reach Jesus.
Day 1: Lazarus unbeknown to messenger has died
Day 2: Messenger delivers message to Jesus that Lazarus is sick
Day 2: Jesus received but knows already that Lazarus is dead.
Day 2: Jesus waits 2 days before heading to Lazarus' place. In the 2 days waitingi, it will take a day to get to Lazarus' place
Day 4: on getting at Lazarus' place, it is confirmed Lazarus was dead four days ago.

So the 2 days waiting has no relevance or any place to be related in the picture your post and Mr Clayton G's was painting.

You guys are drawing line on dots made up which aren't related to the picture you were painting.

ok, I understand your point now,here is the fact:jesus had a good relationship with the family because the news say"lazarus whom you loved is sick"this mean he has a good relationship with the family,isn't it obvious that you know that someone you love so much has died , but you still waited for two days before goin?what dos dis mean? It mean, even if isreal were in tears, God will still Wait for two days[or two thousand years] before he reach out to them, God will not change his revelation.

Jesus knows that lazarus his dead before the messenger arrive,that mean jesus suppose to know that he will raise him from dead, the question is why did he wait for two days to raise someone he love so much? Strange isn't it? Yeah, HE KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING.thank you.

Are you a christian?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by BabaGnoni: 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
malvisguy212: ok, I understand your point now,here is the fact:jesus had a good relationship with the family because the news say"lazarus whom you loved is sick"this mean he has a good relationship with the family,isn't it obvious that you here the death of someone you love so much, but you still waited for two days before goin?what dos dis mean? It mean, even if isreal were in tears, God will still Wait for two days[or two thousand years] before he reach out to them, God will not change his revelation.

Jesus knows that lazarus his dead before the messenger arrive,that mean jesus suppose to know that he will raise him from dead, the question is why did he wait for two days to raise someone he love so much? Strange isn't it? Yeah, HE KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING.thank you.

Are you a christian?

malvisguy212:
jesus always speak in parables,the new testament is like a foreshadowing event of things that will happen nowadays,
bible dint just say two days to wast space,
jesus himself know what he was doin,this is the point LAZARUS HAS BEEN DEAD FOR FOUR DAYS,
BUT JESUS WAITED FOR FOR TWO DAYS, WHY? ABI JESUS DINT CARE FOR LAZARUS?
NO , HE KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOIN, HE WAS TRYIN TO TELL US SOMTIN.

This is the point and the answer to the above is in the below verses:
9Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light.
10It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.”

- John 11:9-10 NIV

Jesus did not want to travel at night (i.e. that was the cause of the delay, nothing about trying to say something at all and besides Lazarus was already sleeping and He knows He can and will wake him up)
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:

9Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light.
10It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light.”

Jesus did not want to travel at night (i.e. that was the cause of the delay, nothing about trying to say something at all and besides Lazarus was already sleeping and He knows He can and will wake him up)
you dint answer my question, are you christian?
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by BabaGnoni: 12:17pm On Aug 13, 2014
malvisguy212: you dint answer my question, are you christian?
What has "Are you a christian?" got to do with this?
Is this going to turn into a Paul-Agrippa kind?

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:22pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:

that is what you believe ,that jesus don't want to travel by night,if jesus would travel by night, will he waited for two days?somtin is not right here,he KNOW that the authority sought to stone him, why dint he travel by night were they would have been sleeping?I REAPET HE KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOIN.he want us to know somtin.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:27pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:
What has "Are you a christian?" got to do with this?
Is this going to turn into a Paul-Agrippa kind?
I wanted to know who am chatin with, is the question to hard to answer??anyway fill free not to tell me, it alright.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by BabaGnoni: 12:43pm On Aug 13, 2014
malvisguy212:
that is what you believe ,that jesus don't want to travel by night,if jesus would travel by night, will he waited for two days?
somtin is not right here, he KNOW that the authority sought to stone him,
why dint he travel by night were they would have been sleeping?
I REAPET HE KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOIN. he want us to know somtin.

Jesus left on the third day (i.e. the following day the messenger delivered the message) and got there the next day (i.e. on the fourth day)
- It takes a day to make the journey malvisguy212

You and that endtimeharvest website are putting apples and oranges together with that John 11:6 verse
It is not related and has no relevance to the picture you both are painting
No doubt, we are in the end times but bringing John 11:6 into it kinks or skews the picture a bit
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by malvisguy212: 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:

Jesus left on the third day (i.e. the following day the messenger delivered the message) and got there the next day (i.e. on the fourth day)

You and that endtimeharvest website are put apples and oranges together with that John 11:6 verse
No doubt, we are in the end times but bringing John 11:6 into it kinks or skews the picture a bit
ok. maby I read to much,but one thing for sure, I know were am heading to with the exergies.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by BabaGnoni: 12:58pm On Aug 13, 2014
malvisguy212:
ok. maby I read to much, but one thing for sure, I know were am heading to with the exergies.
I know you do bro, just leave John 11:6 out of the picture next time
- the third day traveling and the fourth day arriving is how the two days waiting came up
Shalom.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by JesusisLord85: 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2014
Tgirl4real: Good morning everyone.

It's been a while I did this. Lol

I saw this thread this morning (https://www.nairaland.com/1831971/how-pastors-hear-voice-god#25024510 ) and I thought to start a discussion on <b>"Hearing the Voice of God".</b>

A lot of havoc has been caused in christiandom, homes, marriages, businesses and even in individual lives because of this short phrase "thus sayeth the Lord" or "the Lord spoke to me".

If you claim to have heard from God before or you do hear from him constantly, could you please explain to us:

- how to identify the voice of God

- how does the voice of God sound?

- do you have examples similar to your experience in scriptures?

- do you have witnesses who could testify to have heard God's voice when he spoke to you like Saul on the way to Damascus in Acts 9.

- what is the purpose of His speaking to you today?

- what is the place of God's word - Holy scriptures in the lives of believers today?

Kindly provide answers with enough scriptural backing.

Thank you. cheesy

God does not speak to those who believe his holy commandment (law) is bondage. That is blasphemy.

Moreover, you women in churches that stand up and ask God to speak to you directly, are you sure you want to hear the great and terrible voice of the Most High.

Read what happened in Exodus when the Israelites heard the roar of His voice. lol. Believe me, better carry your bible and hear the promises written for you therein.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:25pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:
malvisguy212, we all take milk from other cows and then churn our own butter out of them
but when so much milk is taken from one place and/or just one cow,
then courtesy demands that the butter churned out should've appropriately be credited to the cow's milk it was made from

All was going well, until eisegesis was done on John 11 and the attempt made to reel in Lazarus into the "two thousand years [or two days]"
You might not be able to explain this as it was originally Mr. Clayton G's write up but can you try and throw more light on the following verses:

2(This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.)
3So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.”

6So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days,
7and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea.”
8“But Rabbi,” they said, “a short while ago the Jews there tried to stone you, and yet you are going back?”
11After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”
12His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.”
13Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
14So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead

17On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days.

- John 11: 2-3, 6-14 and 17 NIV

It was the two days in your post that caught my eyes, so noting the bold highlights, for the benefit of readers, learning, throw some light on the seemingly contradiction or inconsistency of Lazarus' death
- When? Was it two days or four days?
- Explain the discrepancy in the "two days" and "four days" time of death
To assist in your exegesis, I have provided the following bullet points:

• Lazarus' sisters sent out message to Jesus
• Jesus got message, then told His disciples that Lazarus was sleeping (i.e. he was dead),
He then stayed two days before heading to Lazarus's sisters'
• Jesus on getting to Lazarus' sisters, got to know that Lazarus was dead four days.

lol cheesy
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:

lol
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
JesusisLord85:

God does not speak to those who believe his holy commandment (law) is bondage. That is blasphemy.

Moreover, you women in churches that stand up and ask God to speak to you directly, are you sure you want to hear the great and terrible voice of the Most High.

Read what happened in Exodus when the Israelites heard the roar of His voice. lol. Believe me, better carry your bible and hear the promises written for you therein.

What's with your attitude of jumping into conversations without properly understanding what is being said/discussed in its proper context? You really need to chill. This attitude doesn't speak well of someone who claims to be in the light.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by JesusisLord85: 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
Tgirl4real:

What's with your attitude of jumping into conversations without properly understanding what is being said/discussed in its proper context? You really need to chill. This attitude doesn't speak well of someone who claims to be in the light.

As long as thou profess that faith given to you by the oppressors of our people, I know where you coming from. I was once in your camp. Got to edify the people with truth.

Shalom
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
BabaGnoni:

You and that endtimeharvest website are putting apples and oranges together with that John 11:6 verse
cry

Why burst the bubble na? sad sad

grin grin
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:17am On Aug 14, 2014
JesusisLord85:

As long as thou profess that faith given to you by the oppressors of our people, I know where you coming from. I was once in your camp. Got to edify the people with truth.

Shalom

Which camp are you talking about? And what form of edification have you been providing? I see more of confusion if you ask me. Pls walk along jare.

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by JesusisLord85: 11:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Which camp are you talking about? And what form of edification have you been providing? I see more of confusion if you ask me. Pls walk along jare.

You shall see confusion because you are under the delusion. He who walks after the truth shall see light.

Only one third of Israel shall enter.

Shalom
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:50pm On Aug 15, 2014
JesusisLord85:

You shall see confusion because you are under the delusion. He who walks after the truth shall see light.

Only one third of Israel shall enter.

Shalom

Na your problem be that. We shall see who is delusional between you and me soon enough. I can only pray you see beyond your confusion before its too late.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by JesusisLord85: 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
Tgirl4real:

Na your problem be that. We shall see who is delusional between you and me soon enough. I can only pray you see beyond your confusion[b] before its too late.[/b]

But I thought you people preach that once you 'believe in Jesus', you can never be unsaved. So what then will happen if its "too late"?
lol
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:42am On Aug 16, 2014
JesusisLord85:

But I thought you people preach that once you 'believe in Jesus', you can never be unsaved. So what then will happen if its "too late"?
lol

That is if you were ever saved. I don't have time to waste with you cos you ask very unintelligent questions.
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by JesusisLord85: 10:16am On Aug 16, 2014
Tgirl4real:

That is if you were never saved. I don't have time to waste with you cos you ask very unintelligent questions.

loooool. BUT you people teach "believe in Yahshua". I do. AND I follow His commandments.
Unintelligent questions? Is that not how I met you on NL? I lady asking elementary questions. That is nothing to mock you over. we were all ignorant once.

It is well. Will continue bringing nuggets of truth your way. Might spark some brain activity and free you from delusion.

SHalom
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by MrPresident1: 1:45pm On Aug 16, 2014
JesusisLord85:

loooool. BUT you people teach "believe in Yahshua". I do. AND I follow His commandments.
Unintelligent questions? Is that not how I met you on NL? I lady asking elementary questions. That is nothing to mock you over. we were all ignorant once.

It is well. Will continue bringing nuggets of truth your way. Might spark some brain activity and free you from delusion.

SHalom

Leave Tmama jare. lol. Let us all abide in Ecclesiastes 12:13

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Busybody2(f): 11:16am On Aug 25, 2014
Tgirl4real:

My own point is that of what relevance is the audible voice to you?

1. You are not an Apostle

2. You are not a prophet

3. We have received the promise

4. The scriptures is complete

Of what relevance is that your experience to the Church of Christ?

Tgirl4real:

Good!!! grin grin grin

I bet this chastisement came through the instrumentality of His word! Or is it more than your conscience pricking you and people scolding you to do the right thing?

Isaiah 64 and 1st Corinthians 2 tells us eyes have not seen, neither has ears heard...

We are all instruments to be used in God's vineyard... The same Bible chapter that talks about diversities of gift and operations and differences of administration of spiritual gifts such as "some appointed to teach, be Apostles, be Prophets, etc, also talks about us all being one body in Christ, with all part relevant. God's decision to make me a vessel and bestow His abundant honour on me by talking to me is all about Christ and His crucification and the demonstration of God's love...
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Busybody2(f): 12:27pm On Aug 25, 2014
ayobase:

u gat me cracked up again......lolz

he will never fail you.

but u should know that he doesn't take shyte......Moses a case study.

walking in His directives and making your petition known will do.

God also negotiate.

a case of a man who was denied entry to Deliverance Programme at Prayer City cos he went late to register. Due to that he determined never to near the church again.

one day God asked him to attend the church. The church he attends shares the same road with mfm, but a bit ahead. he has been getting this message from God, but he kept turning deaf ears.

on a particular sunday, his car broke down just in front of this mfm church. he did all he could to get the car fixed, but the car wouldnt. he heard the voice again, "here is the church before you now. go attend". he succumbed, but negotiated with God, "you are going to do three things for me if you want me to attend this church"

God did those for him with a month......his testimony.

as God takes the lead, one can also ask questions.......He loves you, so He will respond.

Mintayo:
Yes! If you are looking at the word negotiating as it is,then you are on your own!
Isaiah 41: 21.
Produce your cause, saith the Lord; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the king of Jacob.
Isaiah 43: 23.
Put me in remembrance, let Us plead together: declare thou, that thou mayest be justified.
Gen 18: 27-33.

You guys might not know it yet, but you have the same great discernment and breadth of mind, like the sand that is on the seashore, as King Solomon.

I pray the eyes of your heart that has been enlightened may never be shut again in Jesus' name.

Thanks for the insight on negotiation...I can now confidently go back to God cos there is a lot of people's life/salvation riding on this.

Thanks once again.

(((hugs)))

1 Like

Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Busybody2(f): 12:38pm On Aug 25, 2014
nannymcphee:

...but I believe there are people who hear or know things from God maybe thru word of knowledge etc there are times ministers want to pray & they are able to know what to say or do at that point in time at the leading of Gods spirit, I personally haven't really had such encounters so I settle for what I have which is Gods word!!

Pls how do u explain those deliverance minister who are able to see/know what happened in the past that's causing the deliveree's present circumstance?? It could be as simple as revealing that the person was dedicated to an idol by their grandparent stuffs like that?

Thanks

1st Corinthian 12 expounds on all these gifts and how we are all members of the body of Christ and how God decides what gift to give and lastly, how anyone as well can "also covet" these gifts...

It is all about the Gospel of Christ, so God can use us anyhow He deems fit and we can also ask for these gifts smiley
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by mcfynest(m): 1:49pm On Nov 08, 2014
HI T-GIRL..............
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2014
mcfynest:
HI T-GIRL..............

Hi cheesy
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 18, 2014
he speaks to me everyday through my dream
Re: Does God Speak To You? How? by Cherlene(f): 4:13pm On Apr 18, 2015
Olusanya333:
God Speaks in the following ways
- The Word
- Dreams
-Vision & revelation
-Still small voice
-Loud Audible voice(dat sound like thunder,its always terrible)
The Truth is u stop listening to wot man says den rely on God.

I ASSENT. God usually speaks to me THROUGH:
-HIS word
-Dreams

But as well as the remaining mentioned.
Have experienced ALL THE ABOVE @Olusanya stated.

Excluding a loud thunder audible voice.

Cherlene

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Impregnating Your Wife Is A Sin, Ask God For Forgiveness — Preacher Says / Apostle Suleman "Heals" Lady Who Got Blind During NYSC In Kwara (Pics, Video) / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.