Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud (913 Views)

Buhari Meets With Nigerian Girls Who Bagged First Class In India (Photos) / Rochas Okorocha’s Son Graduates Frm University Of Manchester With First Class / Soldiers Nab Bomb Makers In Gombe (see What They Recovered) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by EMMASON125: 6:47am On Jul 28, 2014
By Evelyn Usman
LAGOS— The Police Special Fraud Unit, PSFU, has smashed a syndicate which speclialises in designing multinational organisations’ websites to defraud unsuspecting members of the public, particularly applicants, and arrested six members.

Among the suspects are a first class honours graduate and two final year students of the Federal University of Technology Akure, FUTA.
The suspects’ modus oparadi, according to the unit, include using logos of multinational companies to place online advertisements for jobs and scholarships and demanding application fee from interested individuals.
Luck ran out for the suspects after the unit received a petition from the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, OPEC, last August, that a website designed as ‘OFID Scholarship Website’ (OPEC Fund for International Development for World Student Aid   Scholarship) with OFID name and logo is being used to defraud unsuspecting Nigerian applicants.
How they were arrested
Explaining how they were arrested, spokesperson for the unit, Ngozi Isintume-Agu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said: “The petition dated August 22, 2013, said in the website, applicants were required to pay a fee of N2,500 and over 2,000 applicants responded through FirstBank account number 2020874607 and Access Bank account number 0056941009 with the name, OFID WSAS NG.
“The petitioner stated further that it was one of the victims that contacted OFID via facebook, accusing it of being an accomplice in the fraud.
“ The Cybercrime Section of the unit swung into action and the mastermind of the fraud, one Falade Oluwapelumi Ayotunde, was arrested.
“His arrest led to the arrest of five other syndicate members. Police investigation so far revealed that over 2,000 applicants paid N2,500 each into the two bank accounts provided by the suspects and the principal suspect is the only signatory to both accounts.
“Twenty-five- year-old Falade Olowapelumi Ayotunde, a 500-level Estate Management student of the Federal University of Technology, Akure, FUTA, in his confessional statement to operatives of the unit, admitted to have designed the website of OFID WSAS in June, 2012.
“He, however, claimed that the idea was sold to him by Fajobi Olalekan and Bolatiri Opemipo. He also admitted in his statement that he opened an account in both banks with the name OFID WSAS NG for applicants to pay in their application fee which many responded to.
“The suspect who hails from Akure, Ondo state, further stated that he and his cohorts printed a postal for OFIDWAS which was on the website.
I was paid N120,000 for the job
On his part, Asaolu Victor, 25, a graduate of Mining Engineering from FUTA, admitted to have assisted to paste the posters on-line.
According to Asaolu, who is from Ilesha, Osun State, he was tempted to assist because of unemployment. “Yes, I assisted to paste it on-line and at the end, I was given the sum of N80,000 and later they added N40,000, totalling N120,000 for the job.”
Another suspect, Awote Temitope Emmanuel, 27, said: “I am a 500 level Estate Management student of FUTA. I assisted Ayotunde (principal suspect ) to   guarantee the accounts he opened for the OFID programme and I was paid N70,000.”
Asked if he was aware that the scholarship programme was fake, he nodded in affirmative.
I lent Ayotunde N12,000
Also on his part, 27-year-old Fajobi Olalekan, a first class Mechanical Engineering graduate of FUTA and the best graduating student in his department for 2012, told operatives that he only lent the alleged mastermind N12,000 to host the website.
According to him, “while in school, I lived in the same lodge with Ayotunde. He and his friends were always coming to me for educational assistance because of my intelligence. I once fell a victim of a scam scholarship known as EDIADS.
“Ayo approached me then and got some information regarding it which I believe gave him an idea on how to design his OFID Scholarship Website.
“I lent Ayotunde N12,000 which he used to host the website but he paid me N20,000 and informed me that the plan was successful.”
Professional advice
Adebomi Oluwatosin, who is also a graduate of FUTA, said he only offered the alleged mastermind professional advice and also lent him N100,000 at the initial stage which was paid back with an additional N100,000.
Investigation, according to the Commissioner of Police in-charge of the unit, Umar Idris, was on-going, informing that the suspects would be charged to court soon.
He however, advised members of the public to verify the authenticity of any on-line advert before parting with their money, even as he called on the victims to visit the PSFU at Milverton Road, Ikoyi , Lagos in furtherance of the investigation.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/police-nab-first-class-graduate-five-others-internet-fraud/
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 28, 2014
Mmm •
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 28, 2014
Mmm .
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by Donmarrius: 7:18am On Jul 28, 2014
The same story all over,coming from same people
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 28, 2014
Random guys driving flashy cars without a job, business or inheritance..
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by inteli: 7:22am On Jul 28, 2014
Wrong application of talent
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by macpetrus(m): 7:24am On Jul 28, 2014
Hmmmmm
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by konjakonja(m): 7:24am On Jul 28, 2014
Hehehe guys no dey smile eh. Everyday is for the thief one day is for the house keeper_ Hangman do your job
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by sean079: 7:29am On Jul 28, 2014
Great futarian!!!!!! Greatest of d greatest , of d greatest, of d greatest, of d greatest futarian!!!!!!!! nah so everyday for d thief, one day for owner. Make unah go chop some beans for inside akindeko toilet at elewe eran n kirikiri.
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by colossus2: 7:30am On Jul 28, 2014
Donmarrius: The same story all over,coming from same people
When will people stop this tribal war undecided
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by konjakonja(m): 8:00am On Jul 28, 2014
banega: Mmm •
cool
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 28, 2014
konjakonja: cool
Huh? undecided
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by EMMASON125: 9:01am On Jul 28, 2014
colossus2:
You are d tribal bigot here
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by slimfit1(m): 9:11am On Jul 28, 2014
konjakonja: Hehehe guys no dey smile eh. Everyday is for the thief one day is for the house keeper_ Hangman do your job

This could have been anyone. My question is how come our police don't treat our polithievecians the same way they are treating these kids? We should not forget that there are no jobs and the Nass are refusing social welfare. I don't support the crime they committed but they should have a light sentence.

1 Like

Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by shevon: 9:40am On Jul 28, 2014
colossus2:
I wonder o. As if it is not same thing all over the country.
If it were Ibo's in the news, they jab and you complain, you are a foolish Ibo man.
If it were Yoruba's in the news, they jab and you complain, you and Dele Giwa should have been bombed together.
If it were Hausa's in the news, they jab and you complain, they will report you to SSS as one of the sponsors of Boko Haram.
I don tire for the crop of youth we have these days; while our elders are busy lining their pockets with our 'future' for themselves and their generations, we are busy fighting each other on tribal lines. When these our elders die off, what future do we see for ourselves?
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by DEBUCHMANNY: 9:44am On Jul 28, 2014
politicians be warned! the revolution is just beginning, engage these brains productively or face their wrath soonest
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by Tyche(m): 10:55am On Jul 28, 2014
Front page material.

Oh! I forgot, there are no Igbo names there embarassed
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by colossus2: 11:12am On Jul 28, 2014
EMMASON125:
You are d tribal bigot here
You're an obtuse fellow.
Rubbish!!!

Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by eaglechild: 11:15am On Jul 28, 2014
All these substandard universities doling out first class, this is the consequence.
Re: Police Nab First Class Graduate, Five Others Over Internet Fraud by konjakonja(m): 12:14pm On Jul 28, 2014
eaglechild: All these substandard universities doling out first class, this is the consequence.
Substandard uni ?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Declares October 15 Horn- Free Day / What Happened To The Thread On Kings College Admission List For 2014/2015? / Nigeria Minister Disgraced In New York Watch And See At United State Of Americ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.