Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350054 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 12:45pm On Mar 01, 2018
Quoran:
Yes I will advise you mix your applications. Some for MS,some for PhD. I assume you're targeting Spring and Fall 2019, so you have time to do extensive research on the schools you want to apply to.Mail alot of Professors and from their responses, you will be able to conclude on the nature of funding available in their schools.I wish you all the best in your GRE.Cheers.
Thanks for your apt comment! I will put all of these into consideration.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:20pm On Mar 01, 2018
rasheedtobi:
What do you guys think. I had a modest application list- 3 schools for MS EE. I was a little disappointed in my GRE scores so I felt applying to many schools would not make much difference. I was wrong actually.

I was accepted in all but nothing on full funding yet. I have a pending application for a direct phD program, recommendation letters delaying things do you think funding could still come through the PhD route given the time constraints for fall 2018..deadline is May BTW.

CSU ft Collins: Accepted
Cleveland state Ohio: Accepted
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville: Accepted+ (partial funding)

UTD - PhD....pending --Application incomplete.

GRE: 311 TOEFL 100
GPA: 3.61/4.00
RESEARCH : NIL
Relevant PROFESSIONAL work: 5years

Cc: masterforce Scholastica16 Dremanuel Yildiz

Shout out to Scholastica16. How are you doing Sir

I am very well and happy for you.

As for Cleveland State, most of the people who got funded for MSc resumed there first before they got it. That could be your last resort if no one else funds you before you enter the USA.

Why is your UTD app incomplete and how can you complete it readily?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:22pm On Mar 01, 2018
Quoran:
How do you guys see/access this school,Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? Seen alot about the school on Quora (Rankings and all) though I don't like the name of the school lol. I only applied because of the fee application waiver. I have been admitted but no funding ,at least for now.

Scholastica16

RPI is a top school in the USA for engineering. Forget the Polytechnique part of their nomenclature (it started out as a skill-imbibing institute but is a research power house today). They are top 10 for Civil, Mech and EE in the USA. If their research interest matches yours, grab the offer with both hands and a leg. Some people have taken RPI over MIT. I kid you not.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 01, 2018
Scholastica16:

As for Cleveland State, most of the people who got funded for MSc resumed there first before they got it. That could be your last resort if no one else funds you before you enter the USA.

Why is your UTD app incomplete and how can you complete it readily?

My recommenders are the problem. Even after load of reminders they are yet to send their recommendations.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 8:09pm On Mar 01, 2018
Hmmm thanks man. I saw similar things on Quora. Hope your program is going on smoothly? I wish you the very best.
Scholastica16:

RPI is a top school in the USA for engineering. Forget the Polytechnique part of their nomenclature (it started out as a skill-imbibing institute but is a research power house today). They are top 10 for Civil, Mech and EE in the USA. If their research interest matches yours, grab the offer with both hands and a leg. Some people have taken RPI over MIT. I kid you not.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 11:02pm On Mar 01, 2018
Boss, please can you link us to those people that got funding when they got there. Moreover,I believe we have to send proof of fund to them for our i-20. We need to know how they went about it. Thanks for the assistance

Scholastica16:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 12:10pm On Mar 02, 2018
rasheedtobi:

*My recommenders are the problem* . Even after load of reminders they are yet to send their recommendations.

I can totally relate with this. I had to forego some apps because my recommenders didn't turn in their LORs. In fact, for my completed app, it took well over a month before some submitted.
As has been advised by some sages years back, you should try meeting them (armed with a working internet, laptop as well as an LOR draft). All the best! #teamfall2018

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by d4guy: 2:16pm On Mar 02, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kehnyshavin: 2:24pm On Mar 02, 2018
kylexy61:
Hello guys. I want to share my GRE experience. I only found this thread like 2 weeks ago. I took mine in August 2017, 8:30am sharp.

The analytical went well. As soon as I saw the issue task question, I thanked my stars that I had used the 'GRE AWA' android app. The topic was something about things getting more complex and incomprehensible as humans gain more knowledge.
I had already seen a similar topic before and although I had not actually practiced that topic, being familiar with it helped calm down my nerves. I didn't have too much problems with the argumentative either.

The other sections were in the order QVQVQ. The first 2 quant sets were quite easy so I'm guessing one of them is the experimental section. The last section? Oh boy!! My scores in the powerprep quant sections prior to the test had given me some confidence. By I was clearly not well prepared enough for what I faced in the actual test. The questions were slightly more difficult and time consuming, and as someone who was targeting a perfect quant score, I found this quite frustrating. The level of difficulty for the verbal section was roughly similar to that of the powerprep. There weren't as many esoteric words as there are in the 5lb Manhattan prep questions

At the end of the test, I got 163Q, 156V and a week later, an analytical score of 4.5. I was slightly dissapointed with my quant score because 2 days before my actual test, I took the 2nd powerprep test and scored 168Q, 158V.

But it's still good. All thanks to God

Please what materials did you use and how can i get access to it. My email is kehny.olu@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kehnyshavin: 2:45pm On Mar 02, 2018
smallsuper:
Thanks @ reDazey. I have been looking for who to break the silence.

Let me share my little experience.

As a mechanical engineering post graduate applicant, my targeted score was 326 and above. I have been consistently knacking between 156-159 in Verbal with my Quants mostly above 167 in all my practice test. I decided to "gave" my first GRE as our Indian peeps normally say on the 11th of Aug, the exam was in the format VQVQV. After my A.W, I could not concentrate due to the discordant sounds of keyboard punching from every angle and couldn't even comprehend the SEs and TCs. I knew immediately that I had "entered it". I got 170Q (because I can solve mathematics under any condition), 150V and 3.5 AW.
I had mixed feelings because of my low verbal and A.W score and my perfect quant score and I decided to rewrite the exam after two months of contemplation.

I registered for another Gre in late October and sat for the exam on the 1st of December. Nothing changed in my preparation and I ended up using the same materials. The exam was in the format VQVQV, at the end of the exam, I had 167 Quants, 156V (Though I was expecting something higher) and 3.5 A.W( I didn't practice writing, I thought it was all about template but I was wrong). The seeming improvement in my verbal was a result of my decision to be among the last set of people that entered the exam hall to prevent the previous unpropitious experience. Technically, I didn't improve in any section because I know 156 was achievable in the first attempt if not for the inauspicious experience.

How I wish I knew this thread then and asked for advice from savants here. That's why it's good to speak up, However, I remain undaunted and had learned my lesson.

#Team 2018
Waiting for admission decision from Georgia Tech, University of Maryland College Park, Iowa State University, University of Tennesse Knoxville, Louisiana State University and Ohio University.

Hoping you get in. Can I get access to the materials you used? kehny.olu@gmail.com is my mail
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Maverick18: 5:38pm On Mar 02, 2018
Hello House,
Please I am planning to take the GRE in a few months. I need the Magoosh premium access to practice with. I will be really happy if anyone is willing to share. Thanks in advance ��
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 7:03pm On Mar 02, 2018
Join the what's app grouop, couple of people can share theirs, but you need to MASTER the official test materials before you kick start so you don't dwell on extraneous things, bolster quant with manhattan 1-6, nova and get tricks from 5lb and 1014. Verbal is strictly ets in my opinion,
RC 99 is good for RC, Magoosh did a decent job,learn the words on manhattan 5lb SE and Barron 6 tests did a decent job on their verbal questions. In summary start before you get magoosh
Maverick18:
Hello House,
Please I am planning to take the GRE in a few months. I need the Magoosh premium access to practice with. I will be really happy if anyone is willing to share. Thanks in advance ��

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Battywonder(m): 11:02pm On Mar 02, 2018
ponpon:
Join the what's app grouop, couple of people can share theirs, but you need to MASTER the official test materials before you kick start so you don't dwell on extraneous things, bolster quant with manhattan 1-6, nova and get tricks from 5lb and 1014. Verbal is strictly ets in my opinion,
RC 99 is good for RC, Magoosh did a decent job,learn the words on manhattan 5lb SE and Barron 6 tests did a decent job on their verbal questions. In summary start before you get magoosh

Hello. Could you please share the link to the whatsApp group? Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 03, 2018
Anyone sending GRE score through B.Y MAFIT?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DexxyAlebs(m): 10:43am On Mar 03, 2018
tescoman90:
Anyone sending GRE score through B.Y MAFIT?
� me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by emmaroland: 6:19pm On Mar 03, 2018
d4guy:
Good afternoon guys, pls is anyone here preparing for GRE and stays in ib around ui precisely. Let relate abeg grin
hmmm, any tips
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 03, 2018
DexxyAlebs:
� me
Please, what was your experience?
OR
Are you about to use their service because I'm regretting it now.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by habeeb246(m): 10:26pm On Mar 03, 2018
Hello here
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DexxyAlebs(m): 10:47pm On Mar 03, 2018
tescoman90:

Please, what was your experience?
OR
Are you about to use their service because I'm regretting it now.

efficient paid 8k, gave them my login details.

What's the problem with yours?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 10:47pm On Mar 03, 2018
ponpon:

Kindly add my no. +2348039411444 to d group or send d group link to my email address, femiquadrim@gmail.com

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SenseiVoyles: 3:55am On Mar 04, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pampaya009(m): 9:37am On Mar 04, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am new here and I've gone through some of the experiences shared here and I'm well pleased. I have found clues on the right materials to practice with.
However, I have questions I'd love you guys to help me with.
I am a polytechnic graduate with GPA (3.43/4.00) and (3.10/4.00) ND and HND respectively from Electrical engineering department.
I recently send my transcript to WES and it's under valuation as I speak.
I'm also preparing for GRE and my exam date is 10th of April.
I am currently looking into Florida State university where I could apply for MSc or PhD directly.
I'd therefore like to know if my HND wouldn't be a constraint, is there anyone in the house who'd been given admission as a polytechnic graduate and can help me with relevant information?
If it is possible, I want to know the kinds of schools I should be looking to, schools with application waiver, and finally I need someone to give me clues on how to write a fascinating SOP.
I also need someone who stays around Alakuko area in Lagos whom I could practice with.
Thanks in anticipation for your kind reply

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 2:12pm On Mar 04, 2018
Pampaya009:
Hi everyone,
I am new here and I've gone through some of the experiences shared here and I'm well pleased. I have found clues on the right materials to practice with.
I am a polytechnic graduate with GPA (3.43/4.00) and (3.10/4.00) ND and HND respectively from Electrical engineering department.
I am currently looking into Florida State university where I could apply for MSc or PhD directly.
I'd therefore like to know if my HND wouldn't be a constraint, is there anyone in the house who'd been given admission as a polytechnic graduate and can help me with relevant information?
If it is possible, I want to know the kinds of schools I should be looking to, schools with application waiver, and finally I need someone to give me clues on how to write a fascinating SOP.
I also need someone who stays around Alakuko area in Lagos whom I could practice with.
You're welcome here.
You'll get invaluable info online, but a few of the basic things I believe your SOP should contain include:
1. Why you intend to study a particular field of study, your inspiration and future aspirations with the acquired degree/qualification.
2. Why you've chosen that institution and location (particular state in that country). You'll need to make adequate research on the school's website for this.
3. What qualities or qualifications and experiences you've acquired that will be beneficial to you studying such a course.
4. A brief explanation of your plans during your studies such a active participation in association/society meetings, specifics research interests.

But as I said you'll get more info online. Also, have experienced people review your SOP, for constructive criticism.
SOP's I believe should be captivating to its reader.

Just giving my two cents and would love to hear other opinions too, since I'm also learning!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by geejayjax: 4:48pm On Mar 04, 2018
Which school in Canada sir

IstandWitBuhari:

Thanks Boss for this information, please Sir, I received a half tuition waiver for PhD studies from my Supervisor in Canada. Now, I applied for Ptdf scholarship but it seems this years ptdf scholarship is restricted to China, Germany, France.
My dream Country is Canada and I already have a supervisor whom I have been in constant communication with for 6months now. My admission letter will be out soon by the grace of God.
Please what do you suggest I do, is it possible to use my half tuition waived Admission letter to my advantage to secure the Ptdf scholarship and still go to Canada?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 8:07pm On Mar 04, 2018
Sincerely, many schools frown at an HND. I can't remember but I think I have made a post about this somewhere on this thread. There are schools out there though that may take you.

It's a smart move that you have opted to have your transcripts evaluated. You would need to see the comment when they are done if they would say it is equivalent to a US Bachelors degree. If that is the verdict, then you are good to go.

With regards to the SOP, I made a post as well on how to write a great SOP.

On your SOP, you may want to follow this format. It's just a suggestion and not cast in stone.

Paragraph 1. Talk about the fact that you want to apply to the school and state the course you wish to apply for.
Make it short and simple. E.g Given my passion for solving analytical problems, I wish to apply for a masters program in Mathematics in your institution in order to blah blah blah and I believe I would excel in this program as I have the blah blah blah cos of blah blah blah... You get the idea.

Paragraph 2. Talk about your background in this field. How you first developed interest. Childhood experiences, tasks you performed that opened your eyes to the course, awards while growing up and round it off with how all that culminates to what you studied and what you hope to study given that background

Paragrahp 3. Talk about your professional skills. Work experience, research topics, interests and so on. This should something related to your course.

Paragraph 4. Talk about your personality and personal qualities you have that makes you stand out and how that would influence your graduate program and your research interest.

Paragraph 5. Elaborate extensively on what you hope to do with your degree when you are done

Paragraph 6. Conclude. Keep it short and simple. Something like... I hope to be given the opportunity to flex on campus and marry a white chic. Lol. Do that at your own detriment. Okay... More like I hope to be given the opportunity to study and achieve and blah blah. Swell their head here.

There is goes. That was what worked for me. I got full funding applying these strategies.

With regards to meeting people, are you attending classes at B.Y Mafit?

Pampaya009:
Hi everyone,

8 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 8:13pm On Mar 04, 2018
You need to be careful with loans. During my personal research I saw some. I think for them to give you this,
you need a co-signer who is a resident.

I know some people take loans though and they keep paying until they die and their children continue the Payment. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Some are Good, some are traps. You'll need to see the blueprints.
tizentos:
Although am optimistic, but am also looking at a worst case scenario.What are the pros and cons for getting a loan to study in a school like Stanford. The school has a loan package for international students. What's your view on this?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 8:23pm On Mar 04, 2018
The decision could still come through. It's not too late as it could come when the admission letter arrives.

That being said, you may want to consider the option of student loans to offset the balance for the partial scholarship you were given, if the balance you are to pay is not that much. Despite the fact that I got full funding,
I still applied for a little loan. Sounds crazy but from experience and due consultation, it pays to have something on the side. Some crazy bills crop up that the school will not cater for. And if there is no GA that brings in stipends or if it's not enough, one could run into trouble midway. Of course we all know studying abroad ain't easy. Goes way beyond the lights and meeting friends on campus.

I decided to defer my entry not because I couldn't get a ticket and hop on a plane but because I know the importance of saving for the rainy day.

I'm sorry I went beyond what you asked but I feel it's an opportunity for people to know... It won't be easy at first but if you stick to it, it will get easy. I'm sure my boss scholastica16 who mentored me would attest to this.
rasheedtobi:
What do you guys think. I had a modest application list- 3 schools for MS EE. I was a little disappointed in my GRE scores so I felt applying to many schools would not make much difference. I was wrong actually.

I was accepted in all but nothing on full funding yet. I have a pending application for a direct phD program, recommendation letters delaying things do you think funding could still come through the PhD route given the time constraints for fall 2018..deadline is May BTW.

CSU ft Collins: Accepted
Cleveland state Ohio: Accepted
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville: Accepted+ (partial funding)

UTD - PhD....pending --Application incomplete.

GRE: 311 TOEFL 100
GPA: 3.61/4.00
RESEARCH : NIL
Relevant PROFESSIONAL work: 5years

Cc: masterforce Scholastica16 Dremanuel Yildiz

Shout out to Scholastica16. How are you doing Sir

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 8:34pm On Mar 04, 2018
I have come across Rensselaer before. Considered applying to the school but applied the brakes cos of this scenario.

What's the essence of travelling all the way from Ghana to Nigeria to attend Moshood Abiola Polytechnic when I can easily apply to University of Lagos? cheesy grin

I'm sorry if you attended MAPoly. Was just an illustration. kiss
Quoran:
How do you guys see/access this school,Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute ? Seen alot about the school on Quora (Rankings and all) though I don't like the name of the school lol. I only applied because of the fee application waiver. I have been admitted but no funding ,at least for now.

Scholastica16
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 8:53pm On Mar 04, 2018
Hmmmmmmmm!
frostsc:
I have come across Rensselaer before. Considered applying to the school but applied the brakes cos of this scenario.

What's the essence of travelling all the way from Ghana to Nigeria to attend Moshood Abiola Polytechnic when I can easily apply to University of Lagos? cheesy grin

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 8:55pm On Mar 04, 2018
Polytechnics do not award graduate degrees.
frostsc:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 9:07pm On Mar 04, 2018
Was an illustration. smiley . But I guess you get my flow of thought. smiley
Quoran:
Polytechnics do not award graduate degrees.

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.