Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (361) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352150 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2018
STENON:
I have stopped reading for the verbal section of this GRE. I always have headche anytime I read it. Please am I the only one that is experiencing this?
You're not alone. I guess we're not so used to such.
You should learn recurring vocabulary like that in Magoosh flashcards and Manhattan's 5lb. Also, for the TC, SE, and RC, Princeton review 2014 makes good recommendations.
I think it has helped a bit. Try it out and see!! Just keep practicing, note your weaknesses and focus on them.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 3:58pm On Apr 17, 2018
Hi guys ; a cgpa of 2.50 in quantity surveying isn't a great result to get admission for masters in project management or even get scholarships, in the US, I'm I not supposed to sit for exams like GRE or TOEFl to help boost my chances or should I apply before sitting for the exams. Plz I'm confused here I need urgent answer.
Secondly, can I still apply for 2018 fall admission? Considering the short period time remaining? Or should I patiently prepare for spring 2019?

Lastly, which exam do I take? GRE or TOEFL considering my course of study and school.
Thanks in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:59pm On Apr 17, 2018
Sherlock5577:
Hello everyone grin!!!

The great news of admission + funding so far from hopefuls is really exhilarating!!! Congrats!! Best wishes to other hopefuls waiting for admission and funding decisions.

Please, I require some help.
My profile which I posted some time back is:
BSc Geology and Mining
GPA: 4.59/5.00
Prospective Course: MSc/PhD Petroleum Geoscience
GRE: 2nd May ; TOEFL: 2nd June

The schools I have collated to carry out my desired research include:

Preferred choices - UTexas Austin, TAMUC, West Virginia University, Oklahoma State University (These are the schools I intend to report my scores to)

Others - University of Louisiana Lafayette, University of Wyoming and University of Mississippi.

I have found some info on these schools from gradcafe.

Please, I require guidance with regards to the schools I've chosen and other schools I should consider.

Cc: pennstate sirRuddy

Thanks for your help!!!

You should look at Penn state as well. Since you are for PhD you stand a great chance at being funded.

I know someone that got into UT Austin fully funded for an MSc in PE. He is actually a forumite but barely posts. High GPA though, (think 4.8+). But the point is, Professors were even begging him to apply for a PhD but he refused.

I am excited for you.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2018
Scholastica16:
Congrats Quoran. Not surprised. The way you went about things I knew you were a serious person. I like TAMU CS but they did not like me. Ba$tards rejected my MS app but in their defence it was for Spring. grin

I am waiting for great news from Yildiz, Epithet, MasterforceII, Rexcheeng and anyone else I am forgetting.

As per the guy you met on Quora, I think I know who he is. Over-sound Dey worry the guy.

Congratulations once again.

Please sir if you don't mind, kindly share the name of that erudite individual, who is so sublime grin, so I can partake of the goods grin, by following him on Quora too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by STENON(f): 4:03pm On Apr 17, 2018
Sherlock5577:

You're not alone. I guess we're not so used to such.
You should learn recurring vocabulary like that in Magoosh flashcards and Manhattan's 5lb. Also, for the TC, SE, and RC, Princeton review 2014 makes good recommendations.
I think it has helped a bit. Try it out and see!! Just keep practicing, note your weaknesses and focus on them.
Thank you brother. I won't stop practising. Please how do I get those listed materials?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2018
Scholastica16:

You should look at Penn state as well. Since you are for PhD you stand a great chance at being funded.

I know someone that got into UT Austin fully funded for an MSc in PE. He is actually a forumite but barely posts. High GPA though, (think 4.8+). But the point is, Professors were even begging him to apply for a PhD but he refused.

I am excited for you.
I would do just that. Thank you sir! smiley. Wow that guy must be something!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:09pm On Apr 17, 2018
STENON:
Thank you brother. I won't stop practising. Please how do I get those listed materials?
You should check out those materials provided for at the beginning of this forum. I'm sure Manhattan's 5lb is among the materials there. There was also a Princeton review there, but I'm not sure it's for 2014. If it isn't there, then it should be in one of the Google Drive links poster a few days back.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by STENON(f): 4:12pm On Apr 17, 2018
Sherlock5577:

You should check out those materials provided for at the beginning of this forum. I'm sure Manhattan's 5lb is among the materials there. There was also a Princeton review there, but I'm not sure it's for 2014. If it isn't there, then it should be in one of the Google Drive links poster a few days back.
Okay, I'l check it out. Thank you for your caring heart sir

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:13pm On Apr 17, 2018
Scholastica16:
Congrats Quoran. Not surprised. The way you went about things I knew you were a serious person. I like TAMU CS but they did not like me. Ba$tards rejected my MS app but in their defence it was for Spring. grin

I am waiting for great news from Yildiz, Epithet, MasterforceII, Rexcheeng and anyone else I am forgetting.

As per the guy you met on Quora, I think I know who he is. Over-sound Dey worry the guy.

Please sir if you don't mind, kindly share the name of that erudite individual, who is so sublime grin, so I can partake of the goods grin, by following him on Quora too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:22pm On Apr 17, 2018
STENON:
Okay, I'l check it out. Thank you for your caring heart sir
This is it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ii97JplpxMdzhHNnYxSUlPOEE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by STENON(f): 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2018
Sherlock5577:

This is it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ii97JplpxMdzhHNnYxSUlPOEE
You have been so helpful to me bro. May divine favour always locate you throughout your existence on earth sir.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 4:27pm On Apr 17, 2018
Thanks boss
Scholastica16:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:33pm On Apr 17, 2018
STENON:
You have been so helpful to me bro. May divine favour always locate oyou throughout your existence on earth sir.
Amen ohh and thank you. Just learning from other munificient individuals here here wink!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:39pm On Apr 17, 2018
iamblisz:
Hi guys ; a cgpa of 2.50 in quantity surveying isn't a great result to get admission for masters in project management or even get scholarships, in the US, I'm I not supposed to sit for exams like GRE or TOEFl to help boost my chances or should I apply before sitting for the exams. Plz I'm confused here I need urgent answer.
Secondly, can I still apply for 2019 fall admission? Considering the short period time remaining? Or should I patiently prepare for spring 2019?

Lastly, which exam do I take? GRE or TOEFL considering my course of study and school.
Thanks in advance
Most of the info you seek for is embeedded within the posts here.
You're very much eligible for Fall19, and writing GRE and TOEFL is dependant on your choice schools, although I hear it's advisable you take them to improve your chances. Concerning funding, I'm not well-versed but I believe there's a school for you and they make an all-round review of applications. I mean your GPA, GRE, TOEFL, recommendations, statement of purpose, etc.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 4:46pm On Apr 17, 2018
Sherlock5577:

Most of the info you seek for is embeedded within the posts here.
You're very much eligible for Fall19, and writing GRE and TOEFL is dependant on your choice schools, although I hear it's advisable you take them to improve your chances. Concerning funding, I'm not well-versed but I believe there's a school for you and they make an all-round review of applications. I mean your GPA, GRE, TOEFL, recommendations, statement of purpose, etc.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by almeida3: 4:39am On Apr 18, 2018
STENON:
In another news, An Emeritus of Physics at SJSU california replied my mail and asked me to apply for 2018 fall admission . He asked if I am interested to be employed as a Lab instructor in that department and he'l provide full funding for me. Hmmmmmm.. . But I dont know how to reply him that I am not good in that aspect as lab instructor but just a research assistant. Please kindly advice me on this

Hi Stenon!

Except he is going to negotiate a full tuition waiver with graduate school(which is not always easy, the best you might get is an out-state excess waiver, which means you have to pay in-state tuition), I will advise you reconsider the offer. From experience, a POI at SJSU will pay max $15/hour for 20hours half time work. This amount will barely offset your cost of living in California. They may call it a full funding, but, in the real sense, it's not.

You may consider the offer, if however, you have a means of paying your tuition.

Regards!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by eventsms(m): 5:54am On Apr 18, 2018
Final year project topics and materials website for all students http://www.easyprojectmaterial.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 5:58am On Apr 18, 2018
who has this much talked about 2014 Princeton review?

i checked the google drive and it ain't there.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 6:02am On Apr 18, 2018
almeida3:

Hi Stenon!

Except he is going to negotiate a full tuition waiver with graduate school(which is not always easy, the best you might get is an out-state excess waiver, which means you have to pay in-state tuition), I will advise you reconsider the offer. From experience, a POI at SJSU will pay max $15/hour for 20hours half time work. This amount will barely offset your cost of living in California. They may call it a full funding, but, in the real sense, it's not.

You may consider the offer, if however, you have a means of paying your tuition.

Regards!
I think you should allow her get the full offer with the details first, and then she can make a decision to accept or reject the offer.
Congratulations to Quoran, that was really impressive.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 6:02am On Apr 18, 2018
Quoran:
Thanks boss

can you share the name of the nigeria admissions guy you know on Quora, so that guys can learn a thing or two from him?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ORI1(m): 7:20am On Apr 18, 2018
reDazey:
For the Opportunity Fund program, I have an information that Physics and Chemistry graduates with good second class upper results and above are seriously advised to apply.
You seem to know a lot about this stuff, can I pm you?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by almeida3: 7:56am On Apr 18, 2018
Time2Smile:

I think you should allow her get the full offer with the details first, and then she can make a decision to accept or reject the offer.
Congratulations to Quoran, that was really impressive.

Okay. I was advising based on the fact that she is yet to apply. If she has applied already, she should just go ahead. I just believe she would get a better ranked school based on her profile. That application fee should be channeled well.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ofavourmi(m): 12:26pm On Apr 18, 2018
Please is there any whatsapp group....Someone kindly add me up on 08038123958
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by starboychan: 5:42pm On Apr 18, 2018
Good evening all, I need y'all advice. After so much thinking today, I have decided to pursue my masters degree in civil engineering abroad. Please note that I finished from Unilorin with a cgpa of 3.12/5 ( second class lower). I intend to register for TOEFL after that I will register for gre as I am looking at fall 2019. Also note that I can't finance myself hence, I will be looking for scholarships or work study to pay my tuition while school. I really need y'all expert and experience advice, my prefer country is U.S, Germany and Canada.. Please kindly advise accordingly and sincerely about the possibility of get scholarships and how to go about the whole process. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluwaniyi66(m): 8:20pm On Apr 18, 2018
starboychan:
Good evening all, I need y'all advice. After so much thinking today, I have decided to pursue my masters degree in civil engineering abroad. Please note that I finished from Unilorin with a cgpa of 3.12/5 ( second class lower). I intend to register for TOEFL after that I will register for gre as I am looking at fall 2019. Also note that I can't finance myself hence, I will be looking for scholarships or work study to pay my tuition while school. I really need y'all expert and experience advice, my prefer country is U.S, Germany and Canada.. Please kindly advise accordingly and sincerely about the possibility of get scholarships and how to go about the whole process. Thanks
kindly read the page from 1 to 360, your questions would all be solved. I was very lazy like you before until I read the whole page and all my questions were answered. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GeeRaoult: 1:18pm On Apr 19, 2018
Hello gud people of nairaland! I have been a background observer on this platform for about 6months now. Although I've been prepping for the GRE for about a year now, it's been erratic; one time I have the zest and gusto and another I appear lackluster and impassive about the whole thing.

I must commend the altrusi

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GeeRaoult: 1:19pm On Apr 19, 2018
...the altruistic services of the ilks of Sirreddy, Danninja, Time2Smile, Happyday etc. I want to specially appreciate Otorhope for also giving me the drive that I need to push during my downtime.

I hope to give the GRE a shot by June 27, 2018. I look forward to sharing my experience just like the primogenitors of this forum did for posterity to have something to hold onto.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 4:30pm On Apr 19, 2018
Hey guys, is it a bad idea to start tutorial on GRE? Have been out of school for almost two years now. I contacted a center here in Abj and they charge #50'000 for two months and #30,000 for one month. Not that I don't believe myself it just that I'm not that good in math and I don't want to write it twice.

So what do guys think? Although the fees is very high., e go pain me wella to vomit this kind money for just two months.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 6:03pm On Apr 19, 2018
The Mechanical Engineering department of the University of Maine has some MS and PhD positions.

https://umaine.edu/mecheng/opportunities-researchers-graduate-students/
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kacey007: 6:58pm On Apr 19, 2018
I did my GRE today at JKK and had a score of 295.
Would you advice I re-write it for Msc Mathematics?
Verbal: 143
Quant.: 152
CGPA : 4.24/5
Cc time2smile

Thanks once again walspring for d GRE discount.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 7:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
Yes, I will advice you retake the GRE. Mathematics programs are usually funded in most top/medium schools I have seen. You have a good GPA and that's a strong point already. Just improve your scores. I guess you're going for Spring /Fall 2019?
kacey007:
I did my GRE today at JKK and had a score of 295.
Would you advice I re-write it for Msc Mathematics?
Verbal: 143
Quant.: 152
CGPA : 4.24/5
Cc time2smile

Thanks once again walspring for d GRE discount.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.