Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (96) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351592 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Priceless200(f): 3:32am On Jul 05, 2016
Please guys and gurus in the house, someone that have a 2.5/5 UG gpa in Geology and aspiring to do Petroleum engineering in Masters and PhD in the US, as it is this is a very poor gpa, does he have any chance in US, or should he just go for another undergraduate entirely in PE? Is it worth it... This is a career choice and he is seriously seeking advice, he is in his late 20s by the way... Cc SirRiddy, Ekofisk, Danjaninja, pennstate, ponpon, all the geoscientist here.... Please respond.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by alared93: 6:19am On Jul 05, 2016
pls add to Facebook group: alared93@yahoo.co.uk
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 05, 2016
Priceless200:
Please guys and gurus in the house, someone that have a 2.5/5 UG gpa in Geology and aspiring to do Petroleum engineering in Masters and PhD in the US, as it is this is a very poor gpa, does he have any chance in US, or should he just go for another undergraduate entirely in PE? Is it worth it... This is a career choice and he is seriously seeking advice, he is in his late 20s by the way... Cc SirRiddy, Ekofisk, Danjaninja, pennstate, ponpon, all the geoscientist here.... Please respond.
2.5 on 5.0 is equivalent to 2.0 on 4.0, that's a third class in my school. Anyway all hope isn't lost. The person must be able to ace the GRE very well and if he has any work experience or past achievements. it can help.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 9:58am On Jul 05, 2016
Have been trying to add people to the Facebook page via my phone but am getting a "no results found" response. how do I go about it guys.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by D3mon: 10:45am On Jul 05, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 11:22am On Jul 05, 2016
Priceless200:

Convert to 4.0 using the free Wes portal online. Ace the Gre, search for safe schools, explain the reason for poor GPA in your Sop and above all put it in baba God hand
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 11:44am On Jul 05, 2016
TheZed:
Have been trying to add people to the Facebook page via my phone but am getting a "no results found" response. how do I go about it guys.
cc ponpon
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Priceless200(f): 3:49pm On Jul 05, 2016
tensazangetsu:

2.5 on 5.0 is equivalent to 2.0 on 4.0, that's a third class in my school. Anyway all hope isn't lost. The person must be able to ace the GRE very well and if he has any work experience or past achievements. it can help.

Nah I think it should be 2.7 naa.. Nawa oo

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Priceless200(f): 3:57pm On Jul 05, 2016
ponpon:

Convert to 4.0 using the free Wes portal online. Ace the Gre, search for safe schools, explain the reason for poor GPA in your Sop and above all put it in baba God hand
So no need him going for another undergraduate degree.. Right? If he can blast his masters degree, he would be fine ?, or do you think this his UG gpa will continue to come up later, even after masters?

Ekofisk.. This is your field, still waiting for your best advice.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2016
Question1:
Good Morning guys, Pls I need help...

Currently a 300 level student of Economics with computing.. I will be graduating April Next year. And intending to WRIte GRE next year June. I'm currently on 3.97/4.00. My interest is PhD in Economics or international Economics does anyone has any school in mind with Funding please

If you can score over 330 in your first attempt, it's very hard to do. But if you can, you've just jump-started your chances.

Now, you need to get close to lecturers in your department. Who have research projects going on, and wouldn't mind your help.

This will do things for you; help you understand the research direction in Economics, and give you likely graduate research ideas; and also help you get glowing hot recommendation letters, when you'd need them for your applications.

Good job!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 05, 2016
Thank you for your good and balanced advice on this thread.
You are highly appreciated, sir. smiley
happyday:

If you can score over 330 in your first attempt, it's very hard to do. But if you can, you've just jump-started your chances.

Now, you need to get close to lecturers in your department. Who have research projects going on, and wouldn't mind your help.

This will do things for you; help you understand the research direction in Economics, and give you likely graduate research ideas; and also help you get glowing hot recommendation letters, when you'd need them for your applications.

Good job!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2016
sirRiddy:
Thank you for your good and balanced advice on this thread.
You are highly appreciated, sir. smiley

Sir, I'm glad I could be of help. I should thank YOU.

Thank you, Sir.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by segun4christ: 6:16pm On Jul 05, 2016
Pls add me to the facebook page: segzy4apex2009@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 05, 2016
Priceless200:

Nah I think it should be 2.7 naa.. Nawa oo
Dude most schools ask for 75 percent of your gpa. Calculate that and change it to percentage.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Question1: 10:08pm On Jul 05, 2016
happyday:

May the source of your wisdom never runs dry..Thanks alot

Good job!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ekofisk(m): 11:58pm On Jul 05, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ekofisk(m): 12:01am On Jul 06, 2016
Priceless200:

Priceless200:

So no need him going for another undergraduate degree.. Right? If he can blast his masters degree, he would be fine ?, or do you think this his UG gpa will continue to come up later, even after masters?

Ekofisk.. This is your field, still waiting for your best advice.

Sorry for the late response; it's been a busy day.

Let's get to it...An undergraduate GPA of 2.5 on a scale of 5.0 seems low for most but not all Petroleum Engineering programs in the US. Like most people have rightly said, though the GPA is a very important factor, it's by no means the only criteria for graduate school admission. The person in question can strive to ace the GRE and TOEFL exams and also come up with a decent statement of purpose. I believe this will boost his overall profile towards getting into a grad school. The letter of recommendation is equally important. Unfortunately, I'm aware most of our Lecturers here do turn-in generic recommendations that don't really help.

The challenge with Petroleum Engineering in the US is that there are few schools offering the course when compared with other disciplines. By my estimate, there are about 18 Petroleum Engineering programs in the US. With his profile, the first 10 or thereabout might be too ambitious for now. The problem is not with the GPA alone but also his Geology background, from which he had an average grade point. So, I doubt any of the top 10 programs will grant him an admit. I'm sure he'll find a couple of schools that will admit him albeit conditionally. In my opinion the school you attend doesn't really matter if it's not in the top three. I try not to dwell on that because all US PE programs are arguably better than what you have in Petroleum departments in Nigeria. His geology background will require that he enrols for Undergraduate courses in Drilling, Reservoir, Production and probably formation evaluation. These prerequisites might take two semesters because I don't think one course from each of the aforementioned areas will suffice. He's looking at spending an estimated 36 months for his program. I won't advice changing schools because I don't think he can transfer the credits from those prerequisites courses; in-fact the grades won't count towards his MSc. degree. He could aim for a better school for his PhD. That seems fair enough.

1. Geologist and aspiring to do Petroleum engineering in Masters and PhD: It's doable though challenging coupled with long program duration

2. Very poor GPA: Ace the tests and apply to a lowly-ranked less competitive program. Are you sure it's "very" poor? Maybe not...

3. Another undergraduate entirely in PE?: No. No. I won't advise he does that. It's better he aims for a masters in Geo-sciences instead. I believe he'll find a school. I don't think it's worth going back at that age. PE is sometimes over-hyped.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Priceless200(f): 12:34am On Jul 06, 2016
Ekofisk:

Sorry for the late response; it's been a busy day.

Let's get to it...An undergraduate GPA of 2.5 on a scale of 5.0 seems low for most but not all Petroleum Engineering programs in the US. Like most people have rightly said, though the GPA is a very important factor, it's by no means the only criteria for graduate school admission. The person in question can strive to ace the GRE and TOEFL exams and also come up with a decent statement of purpose. I believe this will boost his overall profile towards getting into a grad school. The letter of recommendation is equally important. Unfortunately, I'm aware most of our Lecturers here do turn-in generic recommendations that don't really help.

The challenge with Petroleum Engineering in the US is that there are few schools offering the course when compared with other disciplines. By my estimate, there are about 18 Petroleum Engineering programs in the US. With his profile, the first 10 or thereabout might be too ambitious for now. The problem is not with the GPA alone but also his Geology background, from which he had an average grade point. So, I doubt any of the top 10 programs will grant him an admit. I'm sure he'll find a couple of schools that will admit him albeit conditionally. In my opinion the school you attend doesn't really matter if it's not in the top three. I try not to dwell on that because all US PE programs are arguably better than what you have in Petroleum departments in Nigeria. His geology background will require that he enrols for Undergraduate courses in Drilling, Reservoir, Production and probably formation evaluation. These prerequisites might take two semesters because I don't think one course from each of the aforementioned areas will suffice. He's looking at spending an estimated 36 months for his program. I won't advice changing schools because I don't think he can transfer the credits from those prerequisites courses; in-fact the grades won't count towards his MSc. degree. He could aim for a better school for his PhD. That seems fair enough.

1. Geologist and aspiring to do Petroleum engineering in Masters and PhD: It's doable though challenging coupled with long program duration

2. Very poor GPA: Ace the tests and apply to a lowly-ranked less competitive program. Are you sure it's "very" poor? Maybe not...

3. Another undergraduate entirely in PE?: No. No. I won't advise he does that. It's better he aims for a masters in Geo-sciences instead. I believe he'll find a school. I don't think it's worth going back at that age. PE is sometimes over-hyped.

Thank you for this dear, God bless you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrjojo: 3:10am On Jul 06, 2016
sholly91:
Please add to the Facebook group. Sholly2me@yahoo.co.uk
added
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by D3mon: 8:28am On Jul 06, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Toluak1: 8:39am On Jul 06, 2016
Goodmorning guys.
Want to inquire from anyone that took the TOEFL recently.how much is it n how did u go abt the payment.I am planning to write it by month end.pls I need all the support I can get ,msterials,sites for online practice etc.to come out excellently.I will b waiting for your responses.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:03am On Jul 06, 2016
Toluak1:
Goodmorning guys.
Want to inquire from anyone that took the TOEFL recently.how much is it n how did u go abt the payment.I am planning to write it by month end.pls I need all the support I can get ,msterials,sites for online practice etc.to come out excellently.I will b waiting for your responses.

TOEFL costs $180 for virtually all test locations in Nigeria. Use an exchange rate of N335 to a US Dollar to get the Naira equivalent.

Next, go to https://toefl-registration.ets.org/TOEFLWeb/extISERLogonPrompt.do;

You'll need to create a new account, if you haven't done so before. Current nearest test dates are July 23rd, August 6th and August 26th. Settle on any of those dates, and fill in all details to register for the iBT.

Next, open a PayPal account on www.paypal.com. I used a GTB Mastercard (check for the Mastercard logo on the ATM card), linked it with my Paypal, and asked PayPal to deduct the naira equivalent of $180 from the GTB card.

Plan to spend three weeks for prep. I wouldn't know how comfortable you are with speaking, writing and reading English. You'll need to download the ETS Guide to the TOEFL, 4th edition here: https://www.fshare.vn/file/W3HUK16HMEUT to be sure of your strengths, and which areas you'll want to work on.

When prompted for a password, use sunrise.edu.vn.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 11:04am On Jul 06, 2016
Toluak1:
Goodmorning guys.

Google.com sir or use the nairaland search space

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gunther6(m): 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2016
I have TOEFL and GRE Voucher for registration for sale.... GRE #50K TOEFL #45K ... Send a PM

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by battoyyeb(m): 8:36pm On Jul 06, 2016
gunther6:
I have TOEFL and GRE Voucher for registration for sale.... GRE #50K TOEFL #45K ... Send a PM

Am interested
But my exam will b around September
Can I still get it or anoda person don book am?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Toluak1: 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2016
happyday:

TOEFL costs $180 for virtually all test locations in Nigeria. Use an exchange rate of N335 to a US Dollar to get the Naira equivalent.

Next, go to https://toefl-registration.ets.org/TOEFLWeb/extISERLogonPrompt.do;

You'll need to create a new account, if you haven't done so before. Current nearest test dates are July 23rd, August 6th and August 26th. Settle on any of those dates, and fill in all details to register for the iBT.

Next, open a PayPal account on www.paypal.com. I used a GTB Mastercard (check for the Mastercard logo on the ATM card), linked it with my Paypal, and asked PayPal to deduct the naira equivalent of $180 from the GTB card.

Plan to spend three weeks for prep. I wouldn't know how comfortable you are with speaking, writing and reading English. You'll need to download the ETS Guide to the TOEFL, 4th edition here: https://www.fshare.vn/file/W3HUK16HMEUT to be sure of your strengths, and which areas you'll want to work on.

When prompted for a password, use sunrise.edu.vn.

I appreciate ur swift revert.Thank you so much for dis piece.Will try follow d prompts.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by toeyeene: 3:08am On Jul 07, 2016
Please Add oluwatukaty@yahoo.co.uk to the Fb group
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by felai: 3:58am On Jul 07, 2016
TheZed:
Is that email connected to your Facebook?

Please add me
olufelai@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bijouxcutey(f): 7:43am On Jul 07, 2016
DavidShaibu:
PLEASE ADD TO WHATSAPP:

PLEASE ADD TO WHATSAPP
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bijouxcutey(f): 8:12am On Jul 07, 2016
bijouxcutey:

PLEASE ADD TO WHATSAPP

Please also add me to the facebook group, OfficialMo@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bijouxcutey(f): 8:17am On Jul 07, 2016
bijouxcutey:

Please also add me to the facebook group, OfficialMo@yahoo.com

Please add rossybijoux@yahoo.com to the facebook group. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Miracle212(f): 8:50am On Jul 07, 2016
Toluak1:
Goodmorning guys.
Hi, I am also Planning on writing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.