Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,223 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga - Family (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (39173 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by TV01(m): 1:02pm On Aug 19, 2014
MrAnony1: LOLOLOLOL Na wa Oooh. Who let the loonies out of the psych ward?

...and the funniest thing? No male or female on the list grin!

I feel pressured to adopt one of the 58 listed. Perhaps a cold glass of "gender fluid" whill I mull it over grin!

TV
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 1:12pm On Aug 19, 2014
they have dodgy scientists that help them with this stuff

Physical gender vs Mental gender

A man outside, a woman inside... like the boxing promoter who wants to do a gender reassignment to make himself a woman

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
MrAnony1:

LOLOLOLOL Na wa Oooh. Who let the loonies out of the psych ward?
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 19, 2014
TV01:

Gender is a ruse. A neologism in the vein of "gay" or "homosexual". Created and/or used as part of the aim to normalise deviancy and dysfunction.

Human beings - the human binary - are male and female. Apart from a few unfortunate instances of case such as intersex, that is it. No other categorisation is required.

Gender has now morphed into ove 50 odd categories at the last count. With orientation an alphabet soup, starting from LGB, and at last count somewhere at LGBTIQRSTVW...and increasing grin!

Orientation, which we are told is a spectrum - including hetero, homo and bi, but not other paraphillias such as attraction to animals, babies or the prepubescent?

If your sex, gender and orientation do not align, if the way you present is at odds with the way you feel, and not dovetailed with your "attraction", which is again different from your biological functionality there is something wrong.

And whilst we do not deny people the right to "self-identify" in whatever way they choose, we are not overturning thousands of years of anthropological evidence, cultural heritage and social norms just to justify the idiosyncrasises - or downright perversions - of a disordered minority.

Yeye de smell.

Morning everyone cheesy!

TV

Sex = male, Gender = masculine, Orientation = striker grin, Functionality = normal
TV, is it too late to make you my son's godfather? grin
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by TV01(m): 2:38pm On Aug 19, 2014
freshdude2: TV, is it too late to make you my son's godfather? grin
I'm honoured.

May your sons honour you and do your house proud.

TV

4 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2014
TV01:
I'm honoured.

May your sons honour you and do your house proud.

TV

Believe me, the honour would be mine.

Your sons too.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Amya(f): 3:33pm On Aug 19, 2014
yuzedo: Meanwhile....

OUCH!

I died!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wholeheartedly agree on the Teju Cole assessment, but, for the sake of indulgence, let us bring the comparison closer home (home in this context being female-female comparison).

I present to you, Sefi Atta, an author of Adichie's generation, twice as talented and half as abrasively verbose.

.. It doesn't hurt that she's light-skinted too. wink grin

Chimamanda should "take a cue", and maybe then, Everything Good Will Come! cool

'Everything good will come' is a terrible book.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 10:07pm On Aug 19, 2014
Kay17:
Would you be alright the word "perceive" or "expectation"?? Does impose sound too forceful to you?? The WHO definition, WIki's, John Money's and the feminists have a convergent definition on Gender. Basically as a social construct, a sociological concept built around the biological sexes. What this social roles would be are not biological neither did they come from Heaven. They are from earth and a product of society. Just like one of the websites I provided said, Gender in primitive societies was;
If you decide to change the word from "imposed" to "percieve" or "expect" that's fine but bear in mind that it would destroy your idea that the rights of women are denied to them because they are women or that men are given more rights because they are men.

Let's consider these two statements.

1. Society expects men to play the role of bread winner. Notice that here the rights and duties of the bread winner are allocated to whoever is playing the role therefore if a man doesn't play the role, he won't meet this expectation and therefore will not be accorded the accompanying rights and responsibilities.

2. Society imposes upon men the role of bread winner. Notice that here the man has no other choice than to play his role as bread winner and hence he is accorded the rights and responsibilities of bread winner whether he plays the role or not.

See the difference?

Compare to this.

1. Society expects East Africans to be marathon winners. This means that Kenyans usually win marathons but if East Africans lose a marathon, they would have failed to meet the societies expectation and therefore doesn't get the benefits of being a marathon winner.

2. Society allocates the position of marathon winner to East Africans. This on the other hand means that the position and the benefits that come with it are given to the East African independent of whether he plays the role or not.

Or this....

1. The Nigerian society perceives that suya sellers are Hausa/Fulani men.
2. The Nigerian soociety imposes the role of suya seller upon Hausa/Fulani men.

Words have meanings my friend. Those two statements mean very different things, If you really can't tell the difference in our positions after all the examples I have provided then that's just too bad.

By changing the wording as you have suggested, you will be effectively agreeing with me that just because most men or women play a particular role, doesn't make the role imposed on them and hence roles played by people do not make them unequal in any real sense especially if they are free to play the said role.

You just introduced/invented the bolded, and I do not know what biological gender means. And what could you possibly mean by sociological gender?
biological gender traits are those traits by which one may characterize males and females based on their biological make-up. e.g. the presence of male or female reproductive organs in the individuals.

sociological gender traits are traits typically exhibited by the male or female genders e.g. Men generally tend to be more agressive and reckless while women generally tend to be more emotional and easily moved to tears.

Hope that has now been cleared up for you.

The whole definitions Mr Anony! What do you understand by all the definitions I have provided, which the WHO approves??
I just told you already. WHO's definition which you provided is leans feminist.

This was what you said:

Does John Money use Gender synonymously with sex? NO! Was the original word used to mean sex? NO! Mr Anony you have been unfairly deceitful.

And this is what I was responding to when I said that:
....However, in many other contexts, including some areas of social sciences, gender includes sex or replaces it. Although this change in the meaning of gender can be traced to the 1980s...
If you want to hold that your article contradicts itself, I guess you are free to do so.

I have not been decietful in any way. I think you are still annoyed at how I exposed your dishonesty here: https://www.nairaland.com/1835324/adichies-feminism-vacuums-fallacies-gonzaga/23#25510581

This seems to me to be an attempt to hit back. It failed
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 10:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
MrAnony1:
If you decide to change the word from "imposed" to "percieve" or "expect" that's fine but bear in mind that it would destroy your idea that the rights of women are denied to them because they are women or that men are given more rights because they are men.

Let's consider these two statements.

1. Society expects men to play the role of bread winner. Notice that here the rights and duties of the bread winner are allocated to whoever is playing the role therefore if a man doesn't play the role, he won't meet this expectation and therefore will not be accorded the accompanying rights and responsibilities.

2. Society imposes upon men the role of bread winner. Notice that here the man has no other choice than to play his role as bread winner and hence he is accorded the rights and responsibilities of bread winner whether he plays the role or not.

See the difference?
Compare to this.

1. Society expects East Africans to be marathon winners. This means that Kenyans usually win marathons but if East Africans lose a marathon, they would have failed to meet the societies expectation and therefore doesn't get the benefits of being a marathon winner.

2. Society allocates the position of marathon winner to East Africans. This on the other hand means that the position and the benefits that come with it are given to the East African independent of whether he plays the role or not.

Or this....

1. The Nigerian society perceives that suya sellers are Hausa/Fulani men.
2. The Nigerian soociety imposes the role of suya seller upon Hausa/Fulani men.

Words have meanings my friend. Those two statements mean very different things, If you really can't tell the difference in our positions after all the examples I have provided then that's just too bad.

and you ignored all about the social construct aspect and devoted your attention to pedantry.

biological gender traits are those traits by which one may characterize males and females based on their biological make-up. e.g. the presence of male or female reproductive organs in the individuals.

sociological gender traits are traits typically exhibited by the male or female genders e.g. Men generally tend to be more agressive and reckless while women generally tend to be more emotional and easily moved to tears.
what's sociological in that?!

Hope that has now been cleared up for you.

I just told you already. WHO's definition which you provided is leans feminist.

And this is what I was responding to when I said that:

If you want to hold that your article contradicts itself, I guess you are free to do so.

I have not been decietful in any way. I think you are still annoyed at how I exposed your dishonesty here: https://www.nairaland.com/1835324/adichies-feminism-vacuums-fallacies-gonzaga/23#25510581

This seems to me to be an attempt to hit back. It failed

Good night. I'm done with you.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 11:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
Kay17: and you ignored all about the social construct aspect and devoted your attention to pedantry.
No it is not pedantry. It is the core of what we have been arguing about all along. You need to show that roles are imposed upon the sexes and it is not the case that they are freely choosing them. You still haven't done this and because you have failed to meet your burden of proof, your whole argument fails

what's sociological in that?!
What's sociological in what?

Good night. I'm done with you.
...Or are you?

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Joshthefirst(m): 12:54am On Aug 20, 2014
TV01:

I believe I have been quite clear in that regard - it's a needless construct at best. Its use is mostly ideological in nature and used to promote dysfunction and deviancy.

But I'm always game for a laugh grin

The following are the 58 gender options identified by ABC News:

•Agender
•Androgyne
•Androgynous
•Bigender
•Cis
•Cisgender
•Cis Female
•Cis Male
•Cis Man
•Cis Woman
•Cisgender Female
•Cisgender Male
•Cisgender Man
•Cisgender Woman
•Female to Male
•FTM
•Gender Fluid
•Gender Nonconforming
•Gender Questioning
•Gender Variant
•Genderqueer
•Intersex
•Male to Female
•MTF
•Neither
•Neutrois
•Non-binary
•Other
•Pangender
•Trans
•Trans*
•Trans Female
•Trans* Female
•Trans Male
•Trans* Male
•Trans Man
•Trans* Man
•Trans Person
•Trans* Person
•Trans Woman
•Trans* Woman
•Transfeminine
•Transgender
•Transgender Female
•Transgender Male
•Transgender Man
•Transgender Person
•Transgender Woman
•Transmasculine
•Transsexual
•Transsexual Female
•Transsexual Male
•Transsexual Man
•Transsexual Person
•Transsexual Woman
•Two-Spirit

TV

plus, don't think you are off the hook re abortion. You've woefully failed to make any semblance of a case on that cool!
shocked
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by apolonius(m): 7:07am On Aug 20, 2014
The world can happily accommodate Adiche's and your views. Just get busy sharing your own views than react to a young woman who is passionately sharing her thoughts and opinion on life and its issues.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Faun(m): 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
Damn! This guy finished Chimamanda here and I love it!
Perfectly pieced!
By the way, she just released another st*upid book yesterday, called "We Should All Be Feminists".
Well, na only the gullible she dey mislead.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by iykedare(m): 12:39am On Jun 01, 2015
Biitch please, I mentioned you by name. The "classy" thing to do is return the favour. Been a while I roasted your shrivelled arze. Remember when last you bleated? I'll joggle your memory.

Lol
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Crystal3214(f): 7:23am On Jun 01, 2015
the writer has made her point so der's notin u all can do about......d fact here is dat u pple refuse to accept the real meaning of feminism instead u choose the one dat suits u best anyway sha everyone to his or her own ideas........# am not a feminist

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

What Do We Expect A 40 Year Old Man To Have Achieved In Nigeria? / Which Is Worse? A Cheating Or Nagging Wife / Lagos Pastor Divorces Wife For Sex & Food Starvation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.