Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,819 members, 7,956,086 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:19 AM

Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga - Family (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (39579 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 2:08pm On Aug 13, 2014
Kay17:

@TV01 I'm not trying to be sneaky, rather trying to admit you to my side. Human rights are recognized for the sanctity of life and personhood, so such rights are inalienable especially for reasons like sacrifice. So if a foetus has a real right to life, it would be adverse to the mother's life also. So one must admit that women just have a natural right which they can easily enforce over the foetus.

Besides the foetus is as much potential as egg and sperm. Nonetheless please see my arguments as being without malice or deceit.

if i may ask why do you see the foetus as being adverse to the mother life
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Joshthefirst(m): 5:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
Kay17:

@TV01 I'm not trying to be sneaky, rather trying to admit you to my side. Human rights are recognized for the sanctity of life and personhood, so such rights are inalienable especially for reasons like sacrifice. So if a foetus has a real right to life, it would be adverse to the mother's life also. So one must admit that women just have a natural right which they can easily enforce over the foetus.

Besides the foetus is as much potential as egg and sperm. Nonetheless please see my arguments as being without malice or deceit.
last paragraph is wrong actually. A blatant lie.

The foetus IS a developing human, a conceived and developing one.

The egg or sperm is not.

3 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
Kay17: 1. But it is still an argument.
No it isn't. It is merely an unfounded claim

2. So wouldn't the rights be distributed differently?
Not necessarily
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 8:11am On Aug 14, 2014
MrAnony1:
No it isn't. It is merely an unfounded claim

Not necessarily

So why do you say the rights for both sexes were necessarily equal?
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by TV01(m): 10:02am On Aug 14, 2014
Kay17: @TV01 I'm not trying to be sneaky, rather trying to admit you to my side.
I understand your side, but I also have a clear grasp of what the issues and principles are in this discussion. Your basic premise is; "a woman has the right to terminate the life of her unb0orn child at any time and for any reason". I disagree.

Further, trying to base that on the rare instances where being pregnant may jeopardise the life of the mother is, in my opinion, disingenious.

Kay17: Human rights are recognized for the sanctity of life and personhood, so such rights are inalienable especially for reasons like sacrifice. So if a foetus has a real right to life, it would be adverse to the mother's life also.
And I believe this sanctity of life and personhood is equally applicable to the unborn. And to deny them the same is to violate their "inalienable" rights.

Pregancy is not thrust upon a woman. A foetus is not a parasite, neither does it ask to be concieved.

Kay17: So one must admit that women just have a natural right which they can easily enforce over the foetus.
Both mother and child have "natural" rights and none have primacy over the other. Further, the mother has a duty of care for her unborn child as one entrusted with it's care and nurture and we all have that duty of care in defense of the defenseless.

Why are you even fighting for or championing rights if you would deny them to the most vulnerable amongst us?

Kay17: Besides the foetus is as much potential as egg and sperm. Nonetheless please see my arguments as being without malice or deceit.
Thankfully, this has already been debunked.
Nobody is claiming rights for the billions of spermatozoa that don't make it (losers grin!) or the unfertilised ova that are passed as waste.

Mon ami, you are astruggling cool

TV

4 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Joshthefirst(m): 10:06am On Aug 14, 2014
^^^

Excellent rebuttal Sir!
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 14, 2014
What the West will be concerned about in the next years will be the rights of fathers if Western men decide to stand up for their rights. This will only turn into a mass movement if they will feel the need to do so.

Lol.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 2:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
TV01:
I understand your side, but I also have a clear grasp of what the issues and principles are in this discussion. Your basic premise is; "a woman has the right to terminate the life of her unb0orn child at any time and for any reason". I disagree.

Thank you for the understanding, however you undermine your own position that the right to life of the foetus is inalienable by asserting the mother's life over it. As i said earlier that the point of the right to life.

TV01: Further, trying to base that on the rare instances where being pregnant may jeopardise the life of the mother is, in my opinion, disingenious

It is a dilemma for you to resolve, because my position already prioritises the mother over the foetus, so I don't suffer that dilemma. you on the other hand, say they are equal.

And I believe this sanctity of life and personhood is equally applicable to the unborn. And to deny them the same is to violate their "inalienable" rights.

You have to concede that the right to the foetus is not alienable, since in the special circumstances when the pregnancy endangers the mother, the foetus would be de-prioritised to the mother.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 2:18pm On Aug 14, 2014
Joshthefirst: last paragraph is wrong actually. A blatant lie.

The foetus IS a developing human, a conceived and developing one.

The egg or sperm is not.

The natural progression of a spermotazoa is definitely in the path of a full human.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 2:52pm On Aug 14, 2014
Kay17:

The natural progression of a spermotazoa is definitely in the path of a full human.
Judging from the fact that the vast majority of sperm will naturally never fertilize an egg, I don't see how your assertion here can possibly be true. Care to explain to us how you arrived at this conclusion of yours?

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 3:01pm On Aug 14, 2014
The fact that men and women are viewed differently by the society does not necessarily imply that they don't have equal rights
Kay17:

I don't understand the point of this question. Please show where I said what you claim that I have said.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 4:24pm On Aug 14, 2014
MrAnony1: It is also interesting that you believe that the society gives men more responsibilities and duties but you don't consider it to be gender discrimination against men seeing that one gender is required to do more of the work than the other because of their gender. I didn't fail to notice that you were more concerned about the "greater rights of men" than the "greater duties of men".
Finally, I don't think it is wrong in any way to give more rights to the person who has more duties.

MrAnony1: I agree that IF a society gives a person more duties and responsibilities, it is only fair that it gives him more rights (with respect to his/her duties) but what I don't see is how it makes the people unequal in essence which is what you seem to be suggesting.

For instance; I believe it is only fair that the breadwinner of the family makes the decisions concerning the best use of the resources he/she is providing. In Nigeria it is often the man who plays this role, therefore it is only fair that his decisions carry more weight than the woman who isn't contributing as much as he is. In families where it is the woman who is the breadwinner, you find that she is likewise the one one who calls the shots.

Kay17: So wouldn't the rights be distributed differently?

MrAnony1:
Not necessarily

Kay17:

MrAnony1: The fact that men and women are viewed differently by the society does not necessarily imply that they don't have equal rights
I don't understand the point of this question. Please show where I said what you claim that I have said.

In the light of the above quotes, we arrived at the point where the society creates a gender picture of the value of the sexes and then distributes the rights in accordance with the social roles it has created for the sexes. You Anony1 accept such stratification and further accept that such distribution of rights is fair. YET you still insist absurdly that the rights distributed are equal!!

3 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2014
Kay17:

In the light of the above quotes, we arrived at the point where the society creates a gender picture of the value of the sexes and then distributes the rights in accordance with the social roles it has created for the sexes. You Anony1 accept such stratification and further accept that such distribution of rights is fair. YET you still insist absurdly that the rights distributed are equal!!

Brilliant!
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Joshthefirst(m): 6:47pm On Aug 14, 2014
Kay17:

no. Actually. The natural progression of a spermatozoon ends at fertilization. Until then it is only a cell. After fertilization, conception, the zygote is made, a developing human being.

Trying to shift borders is simply dishonest.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by troy20(m): 12:12am On Aug 15, 2014
you guys should try reading "the End of Men" by Hanna Rosin.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 5:45am On Aug 15, 2014
You really haven't been paying attention. Remember that I asked you to show where I said that the rights for both sexes are necessarily equal.

Kay17:

https://www.nairaland.com/1835324/adichies-feminism-vacuums-fallacies-gonzaga/23#25475698

In the light of the above quotes, we arrived at the point where the society creates a gender picture of the value of the sexes and then distributes the rights in accordance with the social roles it has created for the sexes.

Did we really arrive at this point or did you think we did because of your bias? Read my statements carefully:

MrAnony1: It is also interesting that you believe that the society gives men more responsibilities and duties but you don't consider it to be gender discrimination against men seeing that one gender is required to do more of the work than the other because of their gender. I didn't fail to notice that you were more concerned about the "greater rights of men" than the "greater duties of men".
Finally, I don't think it is wrong in any way to give more rights to the person who has more duties.

Kay17: You Anony1 accept such stratification and further accept that such distribution of rights is fair.
Is this really what I said? Please read my statements carefully.

MrAnony1: I agree that IF a society gives a person more duties and responsibilities, it is only fair that it gives him more rights (with respect to his/her duties) but what I don't see is how it makes the people unequal in essence which is what you seem to be suggesting.

For instance; I believe it is only fair that the breadwinner of the family makes the decisions concerning the best use of the resources he/she is providing. In Nigeria it is often the man who plays this role, therefore it is only fair that his decisions carry more weight than the woman who isn't contributing as much as he is. In families where it is the woman who is the breadwinner, you find that she is likewise the one one who calls the shots.
If you were paying any attention to what I was saying, you would have noticed that I wasn't "distributing" rights based on gender rather it was based on function....i.e. whichever sex - male or female - that bears the responsibility deserves the rights that accompany the responsibility. This is fair. Or don't you think it is?

Kay17: YET you still insist absurdly that the rights distributed are equal!!
Again this is precisely what I asked you to show me saying. I didn't fail to notice that you didn't actually show me saying anything similar to this rather you once again assumed that I said so which is strange especially because we had this exchange.

Kay17: So wouldn't the rights be distributed differently?

MrAnony1:Not necessarily
How you can jump from this to the conclusion that I insist that the rights are necessarily distributed equal beats me. Is it that you don't understand the meaning of "not necessarily"?

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 5:56am On Aug 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Brilliant!
Really? You seem as one who is so easily impressed.

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 8:00am On Aug 15, 2014
MrAnony1: You really haven't been paying attention. Remember that I asked you to show where I said that the rights for both sexes are necessarily equal.

Did we really arrive at this point or did you think we did because of your bias? Read my statements carefully:

Is this really what I said? Please read my statements carefully.

If you were paying any attention to what I was saying, you would have noticed that I wasn't "distributing" rights based on gender rather it was based on function....i.e. whichever sex - male or female - that bears the responsibility deserves the rights that accompany the responsibility. This is fair. Or don't you think it is?

Again this is precisely what I asked you to show me saying. I didn't fail to notice that you didn't actually show me saying anything similar to this rather you once again assumed that I said so which is strange especially because we had this exchange.

How you can jump from this to the conclusion that I insist that the rights are necessarily distributed equal beats me. Is it that you don't understand the meaning of "not necessarily"?

@mranony1 you blow hot and cold at the same time. Nobody is talking about equality, rather equal rights is the focal topic. Now, it is either you support equal rights across the board or rights proportionately weighed to duties and responsibilities. It can not be both AND through out this thread, you have switched from one position to the other whenever they seem favourable.

You have claimed both sexes have equal rights and asked me to contradict same AND at the same time openly said the bolded.

Amd finally, Society stratifies along gender lines. Women have their set social roles same with men, even though reality says otherwise. The expectations from men is different from women etc.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by TV01(m): 10:22am On Aug 15, 2014
Morrin' Kay17,

you are not making any headway here. I nfact you are unpicking your own position grin!

First you claim I said this;
Kay17: Thank you for the understanding, however you undermine your own position that the right to life of the foetus is inalienable by asserting the mother's life over it. As i said earlier that the point of the right to life.

then in the very next sentence you claim I said the opposite?
Kay17: It is a dilemma for you to resolve, because my position already prioritises the mother over the foetus, so I don't suffer that dilemma. you on the other hand, say they are equal.

And here you just scattered the whole thing?
Kay17: You have to concede that the right to the foetus is not alienable, since in the special circumstances when the pregnancy endangers the mother, the foetus would be de-prioritised to the mother.
Surely saying "is not alienable" is the same as saying is inalienable". If you want to make my point for me, please, be my guest wink!

This sounds like you are either stuck, lost, or attempting to use sophistry to make your point. So for the last time;

The sanctity of human life applies to all humans without fear or favour. A baby is a human at inception. Where a pregnancy may endanger the life of the mother, we do all we can too keep both alive. We do not kill one in order to save the other. Yes, one may die, but we do not purposely kill anyone - geddit? Killing is never the answer to the dillema of death. I have no personal dillema, my position is clear.

And finally, rare instances such as the one we are discussing do not morally or intellectually lead one to conclude that women should have the right to kill thier unborn babies - under the guise of equality, rights and autonomy - at any time and for any reason.

Once again I offer terms cheesy.

TV
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 11:27am On Aug 15, 2014
YOU ARE THE ONE that holds those two conflicting positions and I was tryying to point that out to you!!

And you have to stop this denial business, when a pregnancy endangers a woman's life the option is an abortion -- killing more or less.

TV01: Morrin' Kay17,

you are not making any headway here. I nfact you are unpicking your own position grin!

First you claim I said this;

then in the very next sentence you claim I said the opposite?

And here you just scattered the whole thing?

Surely saying "is not alienable" is the same as saying is inalienable". If you want to make my point for me, please, be my guest wink!

This sounds like you are either stuck, lost, or attempting to use sophistry to make your point. So for the last time;

The sanctity of human life applies to all humans without fear or favour. A baby is a human at inception. Where a pregnancy may endanger the life of the mother, we do all we can too keep both alive. We do not kill one in order to save the other. Yes, one may die, but we do not purposely kill anyone - geddit? Killing is never the answer to the dillema of death. I have no personal dillema, my position is clear.

And finally, rare instances such as the one we are discussing do not morally or intellectually lead one to conclude that women should have the right to kill thier unborn babies - under the guise of equality, rights and autonomy - at any time and for any reason.

Once again I offer terms cheesy.

TV
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by TV01(m): 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
Kay17: YOU ARE THE ONE that holds those two conflicting positions and I was tryying to point that out to you!!
My position is clear. Your strategy seems to consist of misrepresernting it to make your case. For clarity, I restated it in my last post.

Kay17: And you have to stop this denial business, when a pregnancy endangers a woman's life the option is an abortion -- killing more or less.
Very, very poor Kay17.Lets look at this in more detail;

Firstly, I said we do not abort. That a life may be lost - and that that life may well be the childs - but we do not kill the child. It does not mean that we undertake an abortion.

Secondly, God is good and great (that is really fist though - you understand me grin). The beauty of His creation - even in it's fallen state - is a wonder to behold. An unviable preganancy will normally terminate naturally if it is a danger to the mother, or even if conditions are not condusive. This will typically happen within the first trimester.

Thirdly, although term is typically 36-40 weeks babies can actually survive from about 20 weeks onwards. Not always and it's not that common. But it's becoming more frequent and as technology improves, much more likely

Fourthly, a mother who is not physically capable of carrying a child to term, should really think about not being pregnant in the first place.

Fifthly, do you know how many mothers would understand the sanctity of their childrens lives and reject your solution of "murder"?

And finally, you are trying to pivot your whole morally weak "abortion on demand" mantra on a situation that should rarely arise, and can be well managed without abortion.

Sans morals, absent arguement. Again I invite you to yield & repent cheesy!

Either way, please don;t feel you have to task yourself further if you have no new insight to add here.

TV
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
@tv01

I think I misunderstood you.

Are you saying when a pregnant woman is quarter to death because of her pregnancy, and your solution is to wait, watch probably eat popcorn and wait for who to die first?!
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
TV01: Morrin' Kay17,

The sanctity of human life applies to all humans without fear or favour. A baby is a human at inception. Where a pregnancy may endanger the life of the mother, we do all we can too keep both alive. We do not kill one in order to save the other. Yes, one may die, but we do not purposely kill anyone - geddit?Killing is never the answer to the dillema of death. I have no personal dillema, my position is clear....
https://www.nairaland.com/1835324/adichies-feminism-vacuums-fallacies-gonzaga/23#25494358

Kay17: @tv01

I think I misunderstood you.

Are you saying when a pregnant woman is quarter to death because of her pregnancy, and your solution is to wait, watch probably eat popcorn and wait for who to die first?!
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2014
kay17 is such a twister grin grin

i wonder why u guys bother

she is an advocate of abortion n choice n believes personhood is at birth... no need for the long debate
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 10:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
Kay17:

@mranony1 you blow hot and cold at the same time. Nobody is talking about equality, rather equal rights is the focal topic. Now, it is either you support equal rights across the board or rights proportionately weighed to duties and responsibilities. It can not be both AND through out this thread, you have switched from one position to the other whenever they seem favourable.

You have claimed both sexes have equal rights and asked me to contradict same AND at the same time openly said the bolded.
I have not contradicted myself in any way.

- I hold the position that men and women have equal rights under Nigerian law.

- I hold the position that certain duties and responsibilities naturally have certain rights attached to them.

- I hold the position that men and women in Nigeria are free to play whichever of the roles they choose and as a result possess the accompanying rights.

Now please tell me; Which of the above three positions are mutually incompatible?

Amd finally, Society stratifies along gender lines. Women have their set social roles same with men, even though reality says otherwise.
Please name some of these gender roles that society has set for men and women.

The expectations from men is different from women etc.
Please mention some of these expectations that are different for men and women.....and don't forget to tell us who it is exactly that have these expectations.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
pickabeau1: kay17 is such a twister grin grin

she is an advocate of abortion n choice n believes personhood is at birth... no need for the long debate
Sometimes it is good to give them a rope long enough to hang themselves with.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pansophist(m): 8:20am On Aug 16, 2014
The day feminist realized that gender roles are different, the better for our society. I've lived in Finland and will choose the Nigerian marriage culture over there.

Feminism is a scam and since it's birth, we have experienced all kind of social mayhem, gender competition, broken home etc. not good for the beautiful African culture.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Kay17: 8:22am On Aug 16, 2014
MrAnony1:
I have not contradicted myself in any way.

- I hold the position that men and women have equal rights under Nigerian law.

- I hold the position that certain duties and responsibilities naturally have certain rights attached to them.

- I hold the position that men and women in Nigeria are free to play whichever of the roles they choose and as a result possess the accompanying rights.

So you mean to say that men and women in Nigeria freely and are capable of freely moving between the gender roles?! Anony that is a blatant lie! And these "certain duties and responsibilities" constitute rights above the equal rights distributed, right? Because at the end of the day, those with the "certain duties and responsibilities" will have more rights than others.

mranony1: Please name some of these gender roles that society has set for men and women.

Please mention some of these expectations that are different for men and women.....and don't forget to tell us who it is exactly that have these expectations.

In case you forgot the meaning of Gender, here is assistance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

pickabeau1: kay17 is such a twister grin grin

I'd assume that's all you have to say.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 8:24am On Aug 16, 2014
Kay17:

its your assumption... no crime against that
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 16, 2014
MrAnony1:
Really? You seem as one who is so easily impressed.

Not with you though tongue
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 4:05pm On Aug 16, 2014
I asked you to point out which of the positions I hold were mutually incompatible. You didn't. This tells me that you can't back up your earlier claim that I hold contradictory positions. Moving on...

Kay17:
So you mean to say that men and women in Nigeria freely and are capable of freely moving between the gender roles?! Anony that is a blatant lie!
Please mention some of these gender roles and what laws prevent men and women from engaging in them.

And these "certain duties and responsibilities" constitute rights above the equal rights distributed, right? Because at the end of the day, those with the "certain duties and responsibilities" will have more rights than others.
Not necessarily.

In case you forgot the meaning of Gender, here is assistance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender
I didn't ask you for the meaning of gender. I asked you to name some of these gender roles and expectations that society has set for men and women.

He was only reacting to your dishonesty. You really ought to be ashamed at the sort of disgraceful tactics you were employing there.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 4:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
carefreewannabe: Not with you though tongue
Lol, I guess you are free to be impressed by anything you like.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Housewife Destroys Flat Screen Television Over Issues With Husband / Husbands Who Demand Their Wives Submit Their Salaries To Them / Husband Takes Back Cheating Wife Who Got Pregnant For Her Boss - Man Recounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.