Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife (3572 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Who Is The Rightful Owner Of The Breast? The Husband Or The Child. / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by dotuna3(m): 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2014
Is very funny yesterday when i make visit to a family.Though i went to the husband's office and from there he said we are going to his new house he just moved to.Getting home we met the wife and jokingly they said they will give me a good meal and i said i will prefer pounded yam since am just coming into their new apartment not knowing i don cause kasala . After the wife finished putting the yam on fire and the yam is done she called her husband for the pounding the hushand responded with eheeennnnn wetin? i should come and pound what? is like you are sick, is it because i sometime help you in pounding yam?.the woman responded with " how will tell me that is it my duty as a woman to be pounding it after i put it on fire? where do you want me to see the power? is that how uncle seun use to do to his wife?'. for my mind i know i don cause wahala so i said they should not worry i will do the pounding since i get power. lol.

but my qusetion is. who is to do the pounding, the woman or the man?
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
the husband should do it...:-)....some women will pound eh that they will get really tired to even eat and after wards the man go start to make advances again....ahan

5 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by uglyogre(f): 2:12pm On Jul 31, 2014
it is the responsibility of the pestle to pound the yam

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by dotuna3(m): 2:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
dorosola: the husband should do it...:-)....some women will pound eh that they will get really tired to even eat and after wards the man go start to make advances again....ahan
but in those days women are the one doing it. what's changing the world or what are changing in it
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by MizMyColi(f): 2:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
The maid of course undecided

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by purplesummer(f): 2:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
If it's the duty of the woman to cook then she should pound the yam as well as it's also part of cooking.
However, men should be benevolent enough to help their wives pound the yam or rich enough to afford an electronic yam pounder.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
thank god dere is poundo yam,.......... no need of fighting on who to pound d yam.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
MizMyColi: The maid of course undecided
wat if d maid she is not big enof to pound nko?
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by MizMyColi(f): 2:42pm On Jul 31, 2014
sameer1212: wat if d maid she is not big enof to pound nko?
Well, I was kidding grin The woman should have used wisdom. The question of who should or shouldn't ought'nt arise. Traditionally, Cooking's the woman's duty, Pounding that yam shouldn't be any different cheesy
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 31, 2014
Op finally na who come pound am?
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by beau49: 3:12pm On Jul 31, 2014
grin cheesy grin funny....I don't think it is anybody's duty,it all depends on the strength of the husband or wife. Sometimes the lady might not have the kind of strength for pounding and vice versa. And in a situation whereby both can't pound,then they should settle for poundo yam or get the machine for pounding or better still forget about eating pounded yam.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by cococandy(f): 3:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
Hahaha.
Funny issue.

I'll say depends on the quantity.
I've never pounded yam/fufu or anything poundable before. So I can't really say if it's hard work or not. But I guess it is.
So if the quantity is too big that it'll make her go out of breathe pounding it,pls be a gentleman and do it cheesy

I'm saying because the only pounding I've seen is during oil palm processing.and it is the men that do it in my area because it is heavy work for women.
While the women concentrate on delicious soup making.

Division of labor. See? Problem solved.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: Hahaha.
Funny issue.

I'll say depends on the quantity.
I've never pounded yam/fufu or anything poundable before. So I can't really say if it's hard work or not. But I guess it is.
So if the quantity is too big that it'll make her go out of breathe pounding it,pls be a gentleman and do it cheesy

I'm saying because the only pounding I've seen is during oil palm processing.and it is the men that do it in my area because it is heavy work for women.
While the women concentrate on delicious soup making.

Division of labor. See? Problem solved.

It is too much stress. The man should do it while the woman directs him. Except ofcourse the woman is used to it.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
softsparkyy: Op finally na who come pound am?
I did. embarassed
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
MzMariah: I did. embarassed
Lol but seriously some wives dey fvck up.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by cococandy(f): 3:28pm On Jul 31, 2014
Or they get a food processor.
smiley
Or resort to using poundo flour.
Ces't finis

This issue is too medieval to cause a fight in this time and age.
onirugbon1:

It is too much stress. The man should do it while the woman directs him. Except ofcourse the woman is used to it.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 31, 2014
MizMyColi: Well, I was kidding grin The woman should have used wisdom. The question of who should or shouldn't ought'nt arise. Traditionally, Cooking's the woman's duty, Pounding that yam shouldn't be any different cheesy
ok. am inpress for acepting dat its a womans responsibility.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: Or they get a food processor.
smiley
This issue is to medieval to cause a fight in this time and age.

Food processor to pound yam?
Where are they going to house it?
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 31, 2014
it depends on culture. Where I grew up, there is no big deal in pounding yam by a man. At least, I did many times before mama left us.

I may be losing the skills already cos it's now like once a year wherein it used to be weekly thing.

That thing dey scatter head with better soup. cheesy and if the yam get starch ye ye ye ye.... Na double scatter cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by cococandy(f): 3:34pm On Jul 31, 2014
There are small ones.
Some gas/oven size while some are table top size. For modern kitchens.
Does about everything. Not only pounding.
But in only small family size quantities.

That's if the man is one of those people who doesn't trust the yam flour but prefers his poundo made from fresh yams.
If not,the yam flour is the easiest option.

onirugbon1:

Food processor to pound yam?
Where are they going to house it?
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Godmystrength: 3:35pm On Jul 31, 2014
grin grin
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Kx: 3:36pm On Jul 31, 2014
Who pounds yam and akpu in "mama put"?
And why exactly is the person assigned such role?

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: There are small ones.
Some gas/oven size while some are table top size. For modern kitchens.
Does about everything. Not only pounding.
But in only small family size quantities.

That's if the man is one of those people who doesn't trust the yam flour but prefers his poundo made from fresh yams.
If not,the yam flour is the easiest option.

Oh ok. Didn't know about that.
I guess you got it figured all out already incase your own hubby just up and demands poundo yam for dinner, seeing you havnt pounded before.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by LaRoyalHighness(f): 3:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
Lol... and what happened to poundo yam?... and yam pounder?...

Btw... there is nothing there in pounding yam for my hubby... as in... he deserves it.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by cococandy(f): 3:45pm On Jul 31, 2014
grin yea I guess.
onirugbon1:

Oh ok. Didn't know about that.
I guess you got it figured all out already incase your own hubby just up and demands poundo yam for dinner, seeing you havnt pounded before.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 31, 2014
where I grew up, women don't enforce, it's more like a mutual responsibility. If the man isn't around, women don't complain. They pound it and do it very well ALONE.

It depends on culture.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: grin yea I guess.

No prob. Most men are nolonger traditionalists. If I dont eat poundo yam in 2 yrs Im still fine.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 31, 2014
2sExy1: it depends on culture. Where I grew up, there is no big deal in pounding yam by a man. At least, I did many times before mama left us.

I may be losing the skills already cos it's now like once a year wherein it used to be weekly thing.

That thing dey scatter head with better soup. cheesy and if the yam get starch ye ye ye ye.... Na double scatter cheesy
Bia, u dey f up big time. So make my mama sit down dey look my papa go tie wrapper abi wear boxers dey pound yam for visitor..wtf shocked shocked shocked

The man even dey ask her say sha na because he dey help her sometimes and in front of visitor she dey ask if na her duty to pound yam..Nna eh

Why some women dey do like this na? There is God o. Make my oga dey pound yam for visitor front.....ERA NNMO grin God punish devil. cheesy

1sExy1, I am a delta woman and I'm very use to pounding anything poundable. I can pound for 10 people and I nor go tire. I use to have a pic of me pounding in my diary but the tuanami took it away. Even if my hubby pounds for me and I need him to helpe pound I will no how to go about it and not disgracing myself in front of my visitor. My hubby won't pound for me sha, I'm not lazy in the kitchen but if the need arises then he will pound for me.

This is my opinion o..

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by cococandy(f): 3:59pm On Jul 31, 2014
onirugbon1:

No prob. Most men are nolonger traditionalists. If I dont eat poundo yam in 2 yrs Im still fine.
I know right?
He's as far from traditionalist as they come.
We've never even talked about poundo before.
Which reminds me
I'll raise the topic and ask him if he likes it.
Maybe he's never asked because he feels it'll be a lot of trouble for me.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by cococandy(f): 4:00pm On Jul 31, 2014
Where do u come from? wink
2sExy1: where I grew up, women don't enforce, it's more like a mutual responsibility. If the man isn't around, women don't complain. They pound it and do it very well ALONE.

It depends on culture.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
Godmystrength: grin grin
Yea I did the pounding, ask Op grin
Re: Whose Responsibility Is To Pound Yam. Husband Or Wife by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
MzMariah: Bia, u dey f up big time. So make my mama sit down dey look my papa go tie wrapper abi wear boxers dey pound yam for visitor..wtf shocked shocked shocked

The man even dey ask her say sha na because he dey help her sometimes and in front of visitor she dey ask if na her duty to pound yam..Nna eh

Why some women dey do like this na? There is God o. Make my oga dey pound yam for visitor front.....ERA NNMO grin God punish devil. cheesy

1sExy1, I am a delta woman and I'm very use to pounding anything poundable. I can pound for 10 people and I nor go tire. I use to have a pic of me pounding in my diary but the tuanami took it away. Even if my hubby pounds for me and I need him to helpe pound I will no how to go about it and not disgracing myself in front of my visitor. My hubby won't pound for me sha, I'm not lazy in the kitchen but if the need arises then he will pound for me.

This is my opinion o..
shocked shocked shocked

sorry, I didn't read the OP before commenting. I no even know say na husband and wife thing sef. I was just speaking based on normal context that involved me, my younger sister and you don't expect me to allow my mum pound na.

So, my apologies once again.

If na wife, it depends o. But in the context of the OP, the wife fvck up. She should have done it codedly.

Like the husband pointed out, na because him dey help her do am and most people often abuse privilege of that kind.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World’s Tallest Couple Recognized By Guinness World Records / Pls I Need Help, From My Violence Husband / Where Can I Get Cheap Lace Wigs In Bulk And At Affordable Price(s)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.