Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Identities And Nigerian Youth Growing Up Abroad - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Identities And Nigerian Youth Growing Up Abroad (575 Views)

Growing Up In A Nigerian Home-The 12 Common Stories / Indian And Nigerian Multicultural Wedding / Igbo Language And Nigerian Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Identities And Nigerian Youth Growing Up Abroad by Launuka: 5:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
The topic of Identity is becoming more and more complex for young people born and raised in the west. One explanation put forward is that the young Diaspora wherever they come from become more integrated into host countries and gradually lose connection with their countries of origin. Unlike their parents who have direct emotional connections back home, young people find that their emotional demands are within easy reach, from within their immediate environment.

[img][/img]

In the UK, more black people are identifying with the terms ‘black’ and ‘Afro-Caribbean’ ahead of ‘African’. Those who call themselves ‘Africans’ (not just via the ethnic minority sections of various university and job application forms) as an affirmative portrait of one’s identity highlights a recognised affirmation of connection to the continent. So the terms ‘Black is Beautiful’ and ‘Black and Proud’ (which dominate some of the discussions within some of the Afro-Caribbean barber shops and hairdressers) means one thing; but to be ‘African’ and proud can mean another. The question of Culture and Identity remains both a blessing and burden with regards to the question of ‘Where is home?’ for many young people of African origin living within the UK. Whilst travelling between London and Brussels, I have met more and more young blacks insisting to me that though they are Black and their parents are of African origin; they don’t feel inclined to help Africa since the host country is now their home. ‘Home is where you lay your head’ according to some brethren; a statement I personally do not fully disagree with. As a result; ‘Africa’ is compartmentalised into the box of ‘Where I am from’ and not necessarily ‘Where I belong’ or ‘Where I am going’.

Re: Identities And Nigerian Youth Growing Up Abroad by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 31, 2014
**yawn**

(1) (Reply)

Happy New Month Nairalanders / What Are The DUMBEST Questions You've Been Asked? / Vacancies At Afe Uni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.