Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (735 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 5:37am On Aug 01, 2014
One thing I have noted about recent NYSC postings is that everyone is scared of collecting their callup letters, especially those who are from the Southern, Eastern and Western part of Nigeria, and who were not able to influence their posting. Nobody wants to go to the Northern part of the country to serve. No sad . Not with all the bombings by the famous Boko Haram group. You need to see the faces of anyone sent to serve in the North. This gloom of sadness sad suddenly came over them. It as if they have been sentenced to the gallows. It's a day of testimony and happiness for those who are lucky not to have been posted to the North. The quantity of sad faces receiving callup letters has far proven to be greater than the quantity of happy faces.

Why continue with a programme that causes so much scare, anxiety, gloom and sadness? This were the questions asked by one of my learneth friend who happens to be heading for Law School. People shouldn't be posted to serve in other states apart from their states of origin he argued further. I was quick to point out that doing this would defeat the essence of the NYSC programme. Would you prefer the status quo remain and the country continues to record more deaths of viable young men and women he asked me passionately. I responded that Corpers were not being specifically target by the BH sect. Death of a Corper as a result of BH activities was purely collateral damage. He or she just happened to be at the wrong place at wrong time I said. My friend wouldn't accept this at all and we soon launched into a long series lectures/quotes and arguments.

At the end of our talk, the question of the viability of the NYSC programme amidst the incessant bombings by Boko Haram was still left unanswered. Maybe you the reader would have a practical and plausible solution to this issue. The floor is yours.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 6:17am On Aug 01, 2014
Why would you say BH don't target corpers, I hope you were posted there.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by HAYSHIRES: 12:09pm On Aug 03, 2014
Why should any sane country risk the lives of its own citizens just because of one falsified national unity which never existed anywhere. Since the objectives of the program has been truncated, then why not get it discontinued, but this days the essence of NYSC is for money looting

(1) (Reply)

Gentle Men Corp Members / Shocking News For Batch B Stream Two Corps Member 2014 Set (cross Rivers State) / PCM, Order Your Complete Camp Kit Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.