Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,699 members, 7,823,970 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (11480 Views)

Poll: What should the government do about NYSC scheme?

Continue with it: 20% (29 votes)
Scrap it: 73% (103 votes)
Undecided: 5% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by olawalebabs(m): 8:45am On Apr 24, 2011
With the continue killing of Nigerian youth in any unrest in all part of the country. Corp members are part of the target in any unrest in the north. Kidnapping in the south. Dont you think the scheme has outdate his usefullness. Drop your view here.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Apr 24, 2011
the scheme is as old as Nigeria itself with the view of foistering national unity but the truth must be said, nysc scheme as it stands now is a waste of time, resource and of no real value. Its the fastest way to an untimely death and a pain to parents. SCRAP D DAMM TIN-Imo
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by olawalebabs(m): 2:47pm On Jan 15, 2012
the new dimension to the security problem in Nigeria has further strengthen the call for scrapping of this scheme
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Blackteeth(m): 3:11pm On Jan 15, 2012
In spite of the nysc scheme, tribalism in Nairaland is hitting the rooftops.
In spite of the nysc scheme tribe is very important in Nigerian politics. AkA zoning
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by olawalebabs(m): 3:15pm On Jan 15, 2012
Blackteeth:

In spite of the nysc scheme, tribalism in Nairaland is hitting the rooftops.
In spite of the nysc scheme tribe is very important in Nigerian politics. AkA zoning
another salient point you just raise
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Blackteeth(m): 3:15pm On Jan 15, 2012
Some people are feeding fat with this nysc thing. They will fight tooth an nail to keep it in motion
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by eghost247(m): 3:23pm On Jan 15, 2012
Blackteeth:

Some people are feeding fat with this nysc thing. They will fight tooth an nail to keep it in motion
very true
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by bright007(f): 3:23pm On Jan 15, 2012
Infact they should abolish it,Its å waste of time $ life.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by sheyguy: 3:26pm On Jan 15, 2012
In addition to the security problem which the north does not care about, The scheme has been largely ineffective for some years now. It mainly serves to produce cheap labour for our northern school.
U hardly see northern indigenes serving in the south these days. I think they shld scrap it, if it must stay, then corpers must be posted to their state of origin or within their region and posting to far places shld be done with their consent and voluntarily.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Princek12(m): 3:27pm On Jan 15, 2012
The NYSC program, in my humble opinion, has no real-world significance and should be scrapped like a bad habit. It has outgrown its usefulness, it is an anachronism of the past, and it is a practice that is being continued for no reason other than nostalgia. Among the other problems this program has caused, for example the killing of corpers by Boko Haram, it has prevented many older Nigerians in the diaspora from running for public office in Nigeria. Can you imagine a diaspora Nigerian in his fifties returning home to run for public office or work for the government only to be told that he is ineligible because he has not served. Very backward thinking, if you ask me.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by dlinglos(f): 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2012
olawalebab:

the new dimension to the security problem in Nigeria has further strengthen the call for scrapping of this scheme
It is a waste of time! Why should our youths endanger themselves?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by lobeth316: 3:32pm On Jan 15, 2012
NYSC scheme should not be scrapped, rather corp members should be posted to their geo-political zones. I'm one of the guys that benefited from NYSC scheme.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Princek12(m): 3:36pm On Jan 15, 2012
lobeth316:

NYSC scheme should not be scrapped, rather corp members should be posted to their geo-political zones. I'm one of the guys that benefited from NYSC scheme.

please tell us how you benefited from the NYSC scheme?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 15, 2012
NYSC needs reform not scrapping. Many of you saying scrap have not graduated nor attended NYSC programme. It was a life experience I will not forget. It needs posting reform.

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by gempo(m): 3:43pm On Jan 15, 2012
Am in support of the scraping of NYSC. It has outlived its usefulness coupled with the killings up in the north. Those advocating for the posting of corpers in their various regions, makes no sense because then the objective of the scheme which is to put you up with other ethnic group different fom yours will then be useless.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by ridgeman: 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2012
1-serve in your own state

2-Maximum age of 21

3-Voluntary

Secondary school leavers should be the target.

NYSC is another avenue for draining funds without accountability or consequence!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by brightk(m): 3:45pm On Jan 15, 2012
Am due for service this year and by Gods grace i should be leaving with first batch , this one when the country dey jerk every sec, what do u guys think will befall us this year, the same posting to northern states or putting us in our respective geographical zones, i am confused
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 15, 2012
Princek12:

please tell us how you benefited from the NYSC scheme?

I'm thinking he got a good posting and was retained.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by victorazy(m): 3:46pm On Jan 15, 2012
yes
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by frenchman2: 3:51pm On Jan 15, 2012
Nigeria is number one when it comes to carving out great policies.

We then get it all wrong when it's time to implement them.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 15, 2012
frenchman2:

The truth is that NYSC has outlived its purpose.what we now have is an agency that determines who gets the best placement based on nepotism.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by olawalebabs(m): 4:05pm On Jan 15, 2012
frenchman2:

what do you then suggest should be done?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 15, 2012
it should be srapped as its a waste.of time
lobeth316:

pray, how does this foster unity?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 15, 2012
olawalebab:

what do you then suggest should be done?

It should be scrapped and money will also be saved.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by tboy11(m): 4:12pm On Jan 15, 2012
It should be scrapped though am yet to serve bt d scheme has outlived it purpose even now 85% or corpers serve in secondary schl. Its even dangereous in this time of insecurity in Nigeria
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by valencia25(m): 4:15pm On Jan 15, 2012
I think it has to be ignored, can't even understand reason why it exist, would have thought of the benefit it brings but in my view I don't think there's any benefits in it (Someone should Prove me wrong),
It's just another way of Sacrificing the innocent souls would should be helping and supporting after going through a hell of work, Strikes, Reading etc,

TO HELL WITH THEM!

Hope you have all gotten the FREE AIRTEL BONUS? If not it's here GET FREE AIRTEL BONUS NOW!! http://naijamediaworld..com/2012/01/get-free-airtel-bonus-now.html?spref=tw
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Emekamex(m): 4:23pm On Jan 15, 2012
I am gonna be serving this year and will definitely work my posting. I dont want to serve in the God forsaken north. NYSC should be scrapped.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Tsiya(m): 4:25pm On Jan 15, 2012
The negative issues associated with this programme far outweigh the merit and if GEJ was intending to cut wasteful spending then NYSC, Senate, NASS , Road Safety, NOA, UBE and Nomadic Education should be scrapped.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by olawalebabs(m): 4:28pm On Jan 15, 2012
Nomadic should be retain o, so as to educate the almajiris
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by VoodooDoll(m): 4:35pm On Jan 15, 2012
NYSC should be turned to military training. If it was then perhaps ethnic groups would recognise and respect each other better. Graduates would be familiar with the workings of a gun. And would have some experience of controlling crowds.

If it can't be turned to military training, then scrap it!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 15, 2012
Well, I'd say NYSC is a waste of time and public funds. I'm a batch B corper 2011 and to my knowledge 80% of ppl re-deployed to their home-zones mostly northerners, hence its objective is not even being attained - unity. They shud scrap the kini so I go do my NIIT course instead.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? by Emekamex(m): 4:38pm On Jan 15, 2012
VoodooDoll:

NYSC should be turned to military training. If it was then perhaps ethnic groups would recognise and respect each other better. Graduates would be familiar with the workings of a gun. And would have some experience of controlling crowds.
If it can't be turned to military training, then scrap it!
Wont that lead to increased violence

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Corpers: How Do Soldiers In Your Various Camps Treat You? / Gifts You Will Like To Receive As An Outgoing Corper! / Help: Can I Get A Job Without NYSC Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.