Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,948 members, 7,952,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:15 AM

See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims (2985 Views)

Female Billionaires That Own Private Jets In Nigeria(photos) / Fulani Herdsmen Working For Boko Haram – Falae / What Happened To The N58 Billion Raised For Victims Of Boko Haram In The North? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2014
At the fund raising dinner for the
‘Victims Support Funds’, held last
night, 31 July, at the Banquet Hall
of the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja, an
estimated N60 billion was raised,
according to state radio service,
Voice of Nigeria.
The victims support funds’ was
recently inaugurated by
President Goodluck Jonathan to
cater for the victims of Nigeria’s
terror attacks, and the committee
for the fund is chaired by Gen.
Theophilus Danjuma (rtd).
Several notable Nigerians
supported the cause by donating
large amounts, some of which
are Africa’s richest man, Aliko
Dangote who donated N1billion
while Zenith bank Chairman, Jim
Ovia pledged the same amount.
Leading by example, head of the
fund, TY Danjuma pledged
$10miilion (N1.7billion), while
saying that the money donated
should not be used to fight Boko
Haram, but for the specific
purpose of aiding the victims of
terror. He said, “this fund is not
meant to fight terroists but to
support victims of terror”.
Chairman of Heirs Holdings, Tony
Elumelu made the biggest
statement of intent on the night
by pledging to donate a sum of
N2.5billion.
Meanwhile, President Jonathan
revealed that a doctor from Aba
sent him a bank draft of the
token sum of N5,000. He said,
“Dr. Uchenna Kalu a citizen in Aba
sent a bank draft of N5,000 as
his contribution to the Victim
Support Fund. His action touched
me very much.”
The president had earlier
enjoined Nigerians to support
the fund with donations, saying,
“for those who have been
victims, they need comfort. They
need succour. We cannot replace
the life of a child that has been
snuffed out. We cannot replace
the lives of men and women who
have been killed. We cannot
return broken limbs to their
original state. We cannot take
away the trauma that people
have been put through.
“Their memories are scarred,
some for the rest of their lives,
over what they knew nothing
about. The best we can do in this
circumstance is to offer them a
shoulder to lean on and to
stretch out our hands of
fellowship to them and tell them
we feel their pains and share in
their sorrow” the president said.

#GEJ

2 Likes

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by kevinhacker(m): 2:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
source
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Arosa(m): 2:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
Somebody wey get calculator make him calculate for us abeg.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by nerodenero: 2:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
Channelstv showed it last night
kevinhacker: source
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by CharlesPhc: 2:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
fanacy:
Leading by example, head of the fund, TY Danjuma pledged $10miilion (N1.7billion), while saying that the money donated should not be used to fight Boko Haram, but for the specific purpose of aiding the victims of terror. He said, “this fund is not meant to fight terroists but to support victims of terror”.

Here we go again...!!! Until the terrorists are taken out, the amount donated may soon become 'peanut' to the increased number of victims. If you ask me i see this as a case of putting the cart before the horse...!!!

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Bashirfuntua(m): 2:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
What a shamefull statement by the ogogoro Goodluck Ebola Jonathief

3 Likes

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by dridowu: 2:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
CharlesPhc:

Here we go again...!!! Until the terrorists are taken out, the amount donated may soon become 'peanut' to the increased number of victims. If you ask me i see this as a case of putting the cart before the horse...!!!
God Bless You for this valid point
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by kettykin: 2:47pm On Aug 01, 2014
how much is Oby Ezekwesili donating

2 Likes

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by OlusolaWarrior: 2:54pm On Aug 01, 2014
I don't see this as putting the cart before the horse as you implied. There are victims, and we all know quite well there will be victims again until Boko Haram is completely wiped out. But until then, do you wish to see such victims of terror attacks (direct victims or close relatives that are bereaved as a result of loss) neglected and left to their mourn/grieve alone? Please note that such monies that would be given out to the victims would be used to help them resettle in other places, if need be, and as well to cater to their daily welfare until they can get some engagement that would earn them some income.
CharlesPhc:

4 Likes

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by seankafor(m): 2:58pm On Aug 01, 2014
Bashirfuntua: What a shamefull statement by the ogogoro Goodluck Ebola Jonathief
how is it a shaneful statement.if u re frustrated why not go and hang or better off if u go fuk ur mum..sorry for dat

5 Likes

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by nickxtra(m): 3:01pm On Aug 01, 2014
kevinhacker: source
I watched it live on NTA. The total sums donated is more than the 60 billion Naira. It should be in the region of 80 to 100 billion Naira. FG and F.C.T and area councils within F.C.T donated about 13 billion Naira, T.Y Danguma 10 million dollars(about 1.65 billion Naira), Arthur Eze, 5 million US dollars, Tony Elumelu, about 2.5 billion naira cumuulatively, Dangote, several others 1 billion Naira each, Oil and Gas sector, 17 billion Naira, Banking sector, 15 billion Naira, Mrs. Alakija and several others 500 million Naira each, National Assembly and several others 100 million Naira each, etc, etc. According to the Victims Support Fund committee, donations continue, no matter the how little. And it shall be for victims of terrorist attacks through out the country, although more prevalent in the North.

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by feedthenation(m): 3:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
What needs to be done firstly is to eradicate the menace and insecurity pose by boko haram insurgency, then appropriate development could start.
Most of the money raised are only on paper, i can guarantee that 10% of the whole amount will be redeemed.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by OlusolaWarrior: 3:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
I don't see this as putting the cart before the horse as you implied. There are victims, and we all know quite well there will be victims again until Boko Haram is completely wiped out. But until then, do you wish to see such victims of terror attacks (direct victims or close relatives that are bereaved as a result of loss) neglected and left to their mourn/grieve alone? Please note that such monies that would be given out to the victims would be used to help them resettle in other places, if need be, and as well to cater to their daily welfare until they can get some engagement that would earn them some income.

CharlesPhc:

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by prophetone(m): 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2014
Definitely not putting the cart before the horse as there are funds already allocated to the fight against the insurgency, and even more is being lobbied for. This multiplicity of funding streams will encourage mismanagement of the money and resultant loss of focus on achieving the objective.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by CharlesPhc: 3:51pm On Aug 01, 2014
Imagine this scenario for a moment; A market woman in Maiduguri who looks up to the government for security becomes a victim of BH. The govt. ignores the BH for a while and gives her money to start all over in neighboring Adamawa State. Few months later BH comes again to Adamawa and she abandons her new trade and runs to Kano State. In Kano State she is told that same BH fighters are flinging bombs like children playing with 'bangas' Please tell me, Psychologically, would the govt. aid mean anything to this woman again? 2. If it does, how many times would the govt. be willing to keep giving relive aid to this woman? How many relocation would the govt. do for this woman and many other added victims if they continue to put the cart before the horse? Which is cheaper for the govt. to use the funds to eliminate the BH and allow this woman continue her stock in trade peacefully in her home state or turn her to a secondary refugee? Pls don't get me wrong, I'm not against giving them some financial aid but i think more actions against the insurgence first would be a better relieve...!!!

OlusolaWarrior: I don't see this as putting the cart before the horse as you implied. There are victims, and we all know quite well there will be victims again until Boko Haram is completely wiped out. But until then, do you wish to see such victims of terror attacks (direct victims or close relatives that are bereaved as a result of loss) neglected and left to their mourn/grieve alone? Please note that such monies that would be given out to the victims would be used to help them resettle in other places, if need be, and as well to cater to their daily welfare until they can get some engagement that would earn them some income.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Reptyle(m): 4:14pm On Aug 01, 2014
kettykin: how much is Oby Ezekwesili donating

She is not a billionaire.

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by CharlesPhc: 4:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
Reptyle: She is not a billionaire.

They didn't say only billionaires should donate...!!! After all Mr. President confirmed receipt of N5,000 from Aba.

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by omenka(m): 4:31pm On Aug 01, 2014
Under Jonathan, Nigeria has constantly put carts before horses in everything State sponsored!!

#Itsdamnshame.

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by nairamaverick(m): 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
they should just give a large part of the money to the book haram in exchange for the girls and also sign a treaty.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by obeski13(m): 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2014
OlusolaWarrior: I don't see this as putting the cart before the horse as you implied. There are victims, and we all know quite well there will be victims again until Boko Haram is completely wiped out. But until then, do you wish to see such victims of terror attacks (direct victims or close relatives that are bereaved as a result of loss) neglected and left to their mourn/grieve alone? Please note that such monies that would be given out to the victims would be used to help them resettle in other places, if need be, and as well to cater to their daily welfare until they can get some engagement that would earn them some income.

.thank u jare.i dont understand how some people think

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by johnmartus(m): 5:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
kettykin: how much is Oby Ezekwesili donating
the contribution she made is more than what Jonathan contribute ask yourself how much your clueless president donate

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
feedthenation: What needs to be done firstly is to eradicate the menace and insecurity pose by boko haram insurgency, then appropriate development could start.
Most of the money raised are only on paper, i can guarantee that 10% of the whole amount will be redeemed.
So while the war goes on the victims should be left to continue suffering? It doesn't make sense. Are you aware that there are families whose means of livelihood have been destroyed, families who do not know where their next meal will come from? Are you aware that there are people in the hospital with no money to pick bills? So to you these people should be left in these conditions until the war is won, who knows when the war will even be over?
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
fanacy: At the fund raising dinner for the
‘Victims Support Funds’, held last
night, 31 July, at the Banquet Hall
of the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja, an
estimated N60 billion was raised,
according to state radio service,
Voice of Nigeria.
The victims support funds’ was
recently inaugurated by
President Goodluck Jonathan to
cater for the victims of Nigeria’s
terror attacks, and the committee
for the fund is chaired by Gen.
Theophilus Danjuma (rtd).
Several notable Nigerians
supported the cause by donating
large amounts, some of which
are Africa’s richest man, Aliko
Dangote who donated N1billion
while Zenith bank Chairman, Jim
Ovia pledged the same amount.
Leading by example, head of the
fund, TY Danjuma pledged
$10miilion (N1.7billion), while
saying that the money donated
should not be used to fight Boko
Haram, but for the specific
purpose of aiding the victims of
terror. He said, “this fund is not
meant to fight terroists but to
support victims of terror”.
Chairman of Heirs Holdings, Tony
Elumelu made the biggest
statement of intent on the night
by pledging to donate a sum of
N2.5billion.
Meanwhile, President Jonathan
revealed that a doctor from Aba
sent him a bank draft of the
token sum of N5,000. He said,
“Dr. Uchenna Kalu a citizen in Aba
sent a bank draft of N5,000 as
his contribution to the Victim
Support Fund. His action touched
me very much.”
The president had earlier
enjoined Nigerians to support
the fund with donations, saying,
“for those who have been
victims, they need comfort. They
need succour. We cannot replace
the life of a child that has been
snuffed out. We cannot replace
the lives of men and women who
have been killed. We cannot
return broken limbs to their
original state. We cannot take
away the trauma that people
have been put through.
“Their memories are scarred,
some for the rest of their lives,
over what they knew nothing
about. The best we can do in this
circumstance is to offer them a
shoulder to lean on and to
stretch out our hands of
fellowship to them and tell them
we feel their pains and share in
their sorrow” the president said.

#GEJ
60 billion Naira in one night? LIE. Meaning each guest gave N1 billion. $10million is not equal to N1.7 billion.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by bolaino(m): 6:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
I guess election funding has started, here goes nothing. Na which day Black man go get sense? Smh.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by VICTORCIZA(m): 6:27pm On Aug 01, 2014
GOD BLESS MR PRESIDENT.
GOD HEAL NIGERIA
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 01, 2014
balamz: 60 billion Naira in one night? LIE. Meaning each guest gave N1 billion. $10million is not equal to N1.7 billion.

where were you when NTA and co. was showing it live yesterday nyt?

mayb u were busy sleeping lyk a drunk kid

u need to watch the event nd knw who is d liar
for ur informate ...d fund raised is even more than #60bn
last bullet :-D
$1 is 170naira, so do d calculation of $10m by yah cef

1 Like

Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by succyreal(m): 7:41pm On Aug 01, 2014
shortly we will hear investigation into misappropriation of boko haram victim fund
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by iluvnaija: 8:45pm On Aug 01, 2014
this people have stolen so much that they are displaying wealth like this?

Why should we borrow $1B when this guys have them in their account.
Re: See How Much Nigerian Billionaires Raised For Boko Victims by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 01, 2014
Bashirfuntua: What a shamefull statement by the ogogoro Goodluck Ebola Jonathief
Aboki na, what's shameful about his statement or is it your hate-filled comment you're talking of?

(1) (Reply)

JONATHAN 2015: Have You Seen Goodluck Bags Of Rice? [see Photo] / Up Close And Personal Picture Of President Jonathan With OAU SUG Exco / Buhari With Graduating Classmates (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.