Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four (881 Views)

Family Of Diezani Alison-madueke Outraged By Dele Momodu's Visit To Her - Lawyer / Gov Orji Sympathizes With Victims Of Generator Fume In Aba / Married Man & Girlfriend Killed By Generator Fume In Ebonyi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by EMMASON125: 8:09am On Aug 02, 2014

■ We’re in shock – Neighbours

The Ramadan merriment turned tragic for a family of four in Igere-Ihunsa, near OPIC estate in Agbara area of Ogun State, when the community woke up to the stark reality that an entire household would not be part of the eid-el-fitri celebrations on Monday as they have all been wiped out overnight by the fume from their generator.

The deceased have been identified as Osho Sunday (38), who is the head of the family and a farmer too; Taiwo Osho, the wife who was 30, and two children, Daniel and Anu who were aged 10 and 7, respectively.

Narrating how the victims lost their lives, Osho’s second wife, popularly known as Mama Solo, explained that on Sunday night, it was the turn of the husband to sleep with the senior wife as was the practice within their household. She stated that in addition to the festive mood of Ramadan, it was a joyous moment in the family as the senior wife’s son, Daniel graduated from primary school on Saturday.

“NEPA (PHCN) took the light at about 9pm on Sunday and then my husband switched on the generator because I was staying at the boys quarter of the house so that he and the first wife and the children could enjoy their night rest,” she disclosed. She further told Saturday Sun that the generator was kept close to the door of the room where the deceased slept because it was a room self-contained apartment and the fear that it might rain in the night.

The widow said that at about 3 a.m, she woke up to call her husband on phone to inform him that public electricity supply had been restored so that he could switch over from the generator. She added that her husband did not pick his call till she slept off. At 4 a.m, she also said she called him and there was no response still, adding that she didn’t raise any alarm because she felt that he was probably tired and fast asleep.

“By morning, I started feeling confused because it was so unusual of my husband to be that sleepy and it was then I became suspicious and I went to the door and found out that the door wasn’t even opened and it was so hard to open. I immediately beckoned to his younger brother and others around and that was how we forced the door opened and found out that my husband and his first wife and two children were dead,” she stated. She added that she was still in shock as she could not comprehend what happened. “I can’t believe this is how people would just die suddenly, I have only heard this type of incident on TV and radio but I have not experienced it personally”, she said.

One of the elders of the community, John Isaac explained that the incident was one that has touched the spine of all members of the community. “Sunday Osho was a very hardworking man that was focused and dedicated to his trade. He showed what a man needed to be diligent. He was easy going and could not hurt a fly at all”, he stated, adding that the community, however, had something to be thankful for as the first child of the late farmer narrowly missed death “because she came around and wanted to sleep with them in the room but Sunday Osho resisted her and told her to go to her husband’s house to pass the night and that was how she narrowly missed death.”

Rev. Aina Ogunbiyi, another elder in the community, disclosed that the generator was too close to the room of the deceased and as such there was no ventilation with all the windows and doors locked to prevent the the generator noise from getting to them. “The generator that was being used by the family was not a even a tiger generator which is popularly known as I better pass my neighbour. It is a very big generator, with the exhaust facing the entrance of the room and since they were asleep, they didn’t even know, they just inhaled the fume and passed on in their sleep”, Rev Ogunbiyi added.

The younger brother to the deceased said he still spoke to his brother on Sunday and they had plans on how to go about their farming business only for him to be woken by the second wife who came to inform that she had not heard from her husband that morning. “This is a tragic death and I am still in great shock”, he added.

Meanwhile, the family of the first wife had already taken her corpse for burial in their village while Sunday and the two children have also been buried.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=74944
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 02, 2014
Jesus shocked

Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by Sallychizzl3: 8:10am On Aug 02, 2014
RIP to the dead.

Their deaths is on the government head as well as the deaths of hundreds that lose their lives daily due to one death traps or the other set by the government. God will surely judge everyone accordingly.

You need to have a thinking head to comprehend what I mean tho, so if you don't understand please just skip.
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by Nobody: 8:11am On Aug 02, 2014
Booked
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 02, 2014
Poverty actually wiped them out.

Ignorance also did.

Generators are not meant to stay in enclosures..

Very pathetic.

RIP
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by 0rlando0woh: 8:18am On Aug 02, 2014
When some of us say Nigeria should start building coal power plants which by the way produces over 50% of the world's electricity, some politically correct idîots will say it is outdated and pollutes the environment. Now tell me what kind of pollution we can get from 1 or 2 coal power plants as compared to millions of generators all over Nigeria!
US, UK, Germany, China, Russia and other developed countries still use coal plants, some are still building more, while others are expanding the current ones, but some idîots think Nigeria will be at the forefront of the so called phantom renewable energy, how laughable!
A single coal power plant is capable of producing more than double of the total electricity we currently produce.

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by juman(m): 8:21am On Aug 02, 2014
Another victims of useless "leaders".

Despite squandering billions of dollars on their so-called electricity provision.

Even sef how many mega watts added by jonathan goodluck?
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by gratieao: 8:51am On Aug 02, 2014
Why are people still sleeping with generator inside their room. Na ignorance kill them. The man could not even buy foam in his room. Imagine naking his wife akpako unto carpet
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by otokx(m): 9:09am On Aug 02, 2014
When we say there is no light in University of Port Harcourt and Aluu some people laugh and claim they have light in their locality but the truth will always come out.
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:12am On Aug 02, 2014
They probably Inhaled "Fresh Air" as being promoted by jonathanians tongue

2 Likes

Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 02, 2014
Sallychizzl3: RIP to the dead.

Their deaths is on the government head as well as the deaths of hundreds that lose their lives daily due to one death traps or the other set by the government. God will surely judge everyone accordingly.

You need to have a thinking head to comprehend what I mean tho, so if you don't understand please just skip.
No Sir! Government shouldn't be blamed. Blame the Ignorance and negligence of the deceased. Govt has been preaching against your Generator being too close to your room. People have died of it in the past! We as citizens have our role to play.

RIP to the Family... May God grant the bereaved the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss(Amen)
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by Sallychizzl3: 9:26am On Aug 02, 2014
whatlyf: No Sir! Government shouldn't be blamed. Blame the Ignorance and negligence of the deceased. Govt has been preaching against your Generator being too close to your room. People have died of it in the past! We as citizens have our role to play.

RIP to the Family... May God grant the bereaved the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss(Amen)

I still beg to differ sah!

Bottom line, if there had been 'constant' electricity, not necessarily uninterrupted power supply, and they know there will be power shortly after an outage , they wouldn't have a generator in the first place let alone die of its exhaust fumes.
Our power supply in this country had gone from bad to worst and the government is there looting and planning impeachments.

Now tell me who is to be blamed?

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by Sallychizzl3: 9:29am On Aug 02, 2014
custadebayo: THE NIGERIA CUSTOM SERVICE
(NCS) is currently giving out
impounded vehicle at affordable
auction prize,1st HAND
TOKUNBO CARS, never been used
in Nigeria. These cars were seized as a
result of illegal importation
into the country; They are
readily available in give-away
price
This car are in seme border ports in Nigeria Awaiting
removal by Clearance.
NAME: COMRADE ADEBAYO
JOHNSON (PUBLIC RELATION
OFFICER OF NIGERIA
CUSTOM,SEME BORDER COMMAND)
CONTACT NUMBER:
CONTACT ADDRESS-:2025A
Badagry Express
Way,Operation 2-Enforcement office(ZONE A),SEME
BORDER COMMAND (boundary
between Nigeria and
Cotonou,seme border
port),Lagos,Nigeria.
OFFICE MAILING ADDRESS- customngrauctions@g
mail.com
CARS AVAILABLE
CAR MAKE CAR MODEL PRICE
LIMIT
TOYOTA camry #200000-600000
COROLLA #200000-700000
AVALON #250000-750000
HIGHLANDER #350000-1000000
VENZA #400000-12000000
LAND CRUISER #350000-1000000
NISSAN ALL MODELS
#20000-950000
LAND ROVER ALL MODEL
#400000-1250000
BMW ALL MODEL #300000-800000
MERCEDES BENZ ALL MODEL
#300000-85000
HEAVY DUTY TRAILERS AND
TRUCK AT AFFORDABLE PRIZE
and lots more……… ALL BUYERS SHOULD NOTE THAT
BUYING OF NIGERIA
AUCTION VEHICLES HAS NO
COMPLICATIONS WHAT SO
EVER,SINCE ALL THE NECESSARY
DOCUMENTS WILL BE HANDED OVER TO CUSTOMERS TO
AVOID SUCH
INDIVIDUAL BUYING FOR HIS/HER
PERSONAL USE
All new buyer should make a
scan copy of the following to customngrauctions@gmail.com:-
a. National id card, international
passport or driver's
license.
b. Local Gov. of origin certificate.
c. Birth certificate. d. A colored passport
photograph. (for warehouse
permit)
Regards from (NCS)

Can't these scammers be banned immediately they start their shiit? angry
Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by redsun(m): 10:17am On Aug 02, 2014
banega: Jesus shocked

Okon,a very witty actor.I love okon goes to school.If there was oscar in africa,i am sure it will win the best movie and lead actor.

That is the tragedy of ignorance in the 21st century.Some people are not just ripe enough to use man mad machines by themselves,they don't understand how it works,its perils and dangers.

The government should be sued for all these avoidable deaths,they respionsible for not providing the people basic electricity,aswell as not educating them on the usefulness and dangers of generators.Policies on how,where and when it should be used are not in place.

1 Like

Re: Ramadan Tragedy: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Four by juman(m): 11:14am On Aug 02, 2014
The president has failed to provide improved electricity.

Another president is needed.

(1) (Reply)

2015: Presidential Campaign Posters For Speaker, Aminu Tambuwal Flood Abuja / Ribadu Is An Ethically-challenged Hypocrite – Presidency (2013) / Those Behind Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.