Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,473 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? (1685 Views)

#plstellooni: the GOD Of The Yorubas -(Olodumare) Is Not The Same god, The Jews / Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? / Christians And Muslims Worship The Same God ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Eyanuholuwa(f): 6:14pm On Aug 03, 2014
smiley smiley[b][/b]
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by 12345DKO(m): 6:28pm On Aug 03, 2014
CAPITAL NO
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 6:29pm On Aug 03, 2014
Only if christains are not worshipping 3 gods; god of the father, and of the son and of the holy spirit...then, i'd say xtains and muslims are worshipping the same God. It is for a fact that God of Adam, Nuhu/Noah Abraham/ibrahim, yunus/jona, enoch/idris, david/dauda, suleiman/solomon, joseph/yusuf, jacob/yakub, musa/moses, luutu/loth, jesus/isah is the God of muhammad(s.a.w) and whose msg muhammad came with. He came with the msg of "one God" and the only one worthy of worship- which other prophets of God that preceded him came with. No muslim is a true muslim if he/she does not believe and love these prophets as muhammad.
The difference is trinity.

2 Likes

Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by 12345DKO(m): 6:33pm On Aug 03, 2014
[quote author=caseless]Only if christains are not worshipping 3 gods; god of the father, and of the son and of the holy spirit...then, i'd say xtains and muslims are worshipping the same God. God of Adam, Abraham/ibrahim, yunus/jona, enoch/idris, david/dauda, suleiman/solomon, joseph/yusuf, jacob/yakub, musa/moses, luutu/loth, jesus/isah is the God of muhammad(s.a.w) and whose msg muhammad came with. He came with the msg of "one God" and the only one worthy of worship- which other prophets of God that preceded him came with. No muslim is a true muslim if he/she does not believe and love these prophets as muhammad.

GOD the Father, GOD the Son and GOD the Holy Spirit are ONE not three.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Vincenzi: 6:34pm On Aug 03, 2014
caseless: Only if christains are not worshipping 3 gods; god of the father, and of the son and of the holy spirit...then, i'd say xtains and muslims are worshipping the same God. It is for a fact that God of Adam, Nuhu/Noah Abraham/ibrahim, yunus/jona, enoch/idris, david/dauda, suleiman/solomon, joseph/yusuf, jacob/yakub, musa/moses, luutu/loth, jesus/isah is the God of muhammad(s.a.w) and whose msg muhammad came with. He came with the msg of "one God" and the only one worthy of worship- which other prophets of God that preceded him came with. No muslim is a true muslim if he/she does not believe and love these prophets as muhammad.
Story for the gods.
The three are one. If you do not believe in Jesus as God's son,it is pointless explaining trinity t o you.

We are NOT serving the same god,sentiments aside.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Dsage1: 6:42pm On Aug 03, 2014
Vincenzi:
Story for the gods.
The three are one. If you do not believe in Jesus as God's son,it is pointless explaining trinity t o you.

And where did both religions came from?
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2014
12345DKO: .
trinity is a fabrication.

1 Like

Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 6:45pm On Aug 03, 2014
Vincenzi:
Story for the gods.

trinity is a holy 'falacy'! U worship jesus, we worship God. U see d diff?

1 Like

Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 8:10pm On Aug 03, 2014
Vincenzi:
Story for the gods.

the father unlimited; the son unlimited; and the holyghost unlimited...
Likewise the father is almighty ;the son almighty and the holy ghost almighty. And yet they're not 3 almighties; but one almighty . So the father is God; the son God ;and the holy ghost is God. And in this trinity none is before, or after another; none is greater or less than another.
Xtainity and its adherents must answer some question; too much confusion.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by thorpido(m): 8:50pm On Aug 03, 2014
caseless: Only if christains are not worshipping 3 gods; god of the father, and of the son and of the holy spirit...then, i'd say xtains and muslims are worshipping the same God. It is for a fact that God of Adam, Nuhu/Noah Abraham/ibrahim, yunus/jona, enoch/idris, david/dauda, suleiman/solomon, joseph/yusuf, jacob/yakub, musa/moses, luutu/loth, jesus/isah is the God of muhammad(s.a.w) and whose msg muhammad came with.
what fact?what proof do you have for your fact?
You do not know the God Who sent Jesus!Everyone who knows Him believes the gospel.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Blackfire(m): 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2014
[quote
author=caseless]Only if christains are not worshipping 3 gods; god of
the father, and of the son and of the holy spirit...then, i'd say xtains
and muslims are worshipping the same God. It is for a fact that God of
Adam, Nuhu/Noah Abraham/ibrahim, yunus/jona, enoch/idris, david/dauda,
suleiman/solomon, joseph/yusuf, jacob/yakub, musa/moses, luutu/loth,
jesus/isah is the God of muhammad(s.a.w) and whose msg muhammad came
with. He came with the msg of "one God" and the only one worthy of
worship- which other prophets of God that preceded him came with. No
muslim is a true muslim if he/she does not believe and love these
prophets as muhammad.
The difference is trinity.[/quote]
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2014
thorpido: what fact?what proof do you have for your fact?
You do not know the God Who sent Jesus! Everyone who knows Him believes the gospel.
d gospel was fabricated by men; i don't believe in it.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by delkuf(m): 9:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
We are not serving the same God. I cannot serve a God that say if I kill fellow human, I will be given 72 virgin.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by thorpido(m): 11:03pm On Aug 03, 2014
caseless: d gospel was fabricated by men; i don't believe in it.
The quran came by Muhammed.He was a man too.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Eyanuholuwa(f): 12:27am On Aug 04, 2014
WelL,I thimlk we actually don't serve the same God because of d way of life or methods of living is a very good aspect in which we should emphasize on....For exaple:Muslims claim to be peace makers yet they go all around going against education nd killing innocent people...saying that they will inherit seven virgins or sometin.....Although dere tend to similarities in d only books of these religions.....am not supporting any religion am jst being factual.....Muslims please don't mad at mhe.....
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Sanchez01: 7:27am On Aug 04, 2014
Dsage1:

And where did both religions came from?

Ishmael, the son of Sarah's handmaid founded what is known as Islam today. Since he grew up under Abraham, he must have learnt one or two things from Abraham's household but he and his mother were asked to leave the household since his mother was not legitimately married to Abraham. And before that, the birth of Ishmael came as a prophecy to Hagar by an Angel who told Hagar that:
"You are now with a child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the Lord has heard your misery. 12.He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hands will be against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers." ---- Gen 16:11-12.

The above took place while Hagar fled the home of Abraham. And although she returned, she left the house with Ishmael after she mocked Sarah. (Gen 21:8-20).

And @the topic: We certainly do not worship the same God.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 8:28am On Aug 04, 2014
thorpido: The quran came by Muhammed.He was a man too.
the uniqueness and 'compactness' of d quran shld show u that it was not written by muhammad; no old and new testament, no kjv, no name of his companion was tagged to any verse of d quran, like u have matt 8:10 etc in d bible. Who were these men to jesus?
Bible has bn edited more than 5000 times. Quran has bn original and great; evn clinton, napoleo, churchill and so many great men attested to this fact.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 8:32am On Aug 04, 2014
Eyanuholuwa: WelL,I thimlk we actually don't serve the same God because of d way of life or methods of living is a very good aspect in which we should emphasize on....For exaple:Muslims claim to be peace makers yet they go all around going against education nd killing innocent people...saying that they will inherit seven virgins or sometin.....Although dere tend to similarities in d only books of these religions.....am not supporting any religion am jst being factual..... Muslims please don't mad at mhe .....
muslims won't b mad at u cos u haven't made any sense.

1 Like

Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Caseless: 8:37am On Aug 04, 2014
Sanchez01: [s]
Ishmael, the son of Sarah's handmaid founded what is known as Islam today. Since he grew up under Abraham, he must have learnt one or two things from Abraham's household but he and his mother were asked to leave the household since his mother was not legitimately married to Abraham. And before that, the birth of Ishmael came as a prophecy to Hagar by an Angel who told Hagar that:
"You are now with a child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the Lord has heard your misery. 12.He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hands will be against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers." ---- Gen 16:11-12.

The above took place while Hagar fled the home of Abraham. And although she returned, she left the house with Ishmael after she mocked Sarah. (Gen 21:8-20).[/s]

everybody is at liberty to cook his own fake story.
We dnt worship d same God; u worship jesus and 2 other gods. Muslim worship God/ALLAH.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Sanchez01: 9:26am On Aug 04, 2014
caseless: everybody is at liberty to cook his own fake story.
We dnt worship d same God; u worship jesus and 2 other gods. Muslim worship God/ALLAH.
i guess someone is hurt?

1 Like

Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by thorpido(m): 11:46am On Aug 04, 2014
caseless: the uniqueness and 'compactness' of d quran shld show u that it was not written by muhammad; no old and new testament, no kjv, no name of his companion was tagged to any verse of d quran, like u have matt 8:10 etc in d bible. Who were these men to jesus?
Bible has bn edited more than 5000 times. Quran has bn original and great; evn clinton, napoleo, churchill and so many great men attested to this fact.
Big deal about the quran remaining the same(which is arguable according to history).The works of Shakespeare has also remained the same.Before the copy that you have was put together,there has been arguments about what was initially written(do your research).I hope you know Muhammed was illiterate and did not write himself.Others wrote,so your argument about the bible being written by men faults your own belief.
You also do not understand that God can use 'many' men for His works.
Finally,how come Muhammed was unspoken of by all the prophets and even Jesus never made mention of him,yet he(as claimed by him) is the greatest and last prophet?How come no book except the quran ever spoke of him?How can the 'last' prophet be unknown by other prophets either in dreams or visions?Doesn't seem right!

Please don't quote scriptures from the bible to me since you claim the bible is not true.Moreover,the scriptures you always quote as muslims never referred to Muhammed.Do a proper check before answering my question.

1 Like

Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by 12345DKO(m): 12:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
caseless: trinity is a fabrication.
ur opinion
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Sanchez01: 1:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
thorpido: Big deal about the quran remaining the same(which is arguable according to history).The works of Shakespeare has also remained the same.Before the copy that you have was put together,there has been arguments about what was initially written(do your [/b]research).I hope you know Muhammed was illiterate and did not write himself.Others wrote,so your argument about the bible being written by men faults your own belief.
You also do not understand that God can use 'many' men for His works.
[b]Finally,how come Muhammed was unspoken of by all the prophets and even Jesus never made mention of him,yet he(as claimed by him) is the greatest and last prophet?How come no book except the quran ever spoke of him?How can the 'last' prophet be unknown by other prophets either in dreams or visions? Doesn't seem right!

Please don't quote scriptures from the bible to me since you claim the bible is not true.Moreover,the scriptures you always quote as muslims never referred to Muhammed.Do a proper check before answering my question.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Dsage1: 11:05pm On Aug 05, 2014
Sanchez01:

The above took place while Hagar fled the home of Abraham. And although she returned, she left the house with Ishmael after she mocked Sarah. (Gen 21:8-20).

You don't get it sir!

The last time I checked, I discovered that both religions was brought to you and I from the same continent (middle east). So, what the hell are you people arguing about/trying to differentiate?

According to the bible, Jesus is the only direct son of God, while Quran claimed Muhammad to be only true God sent messenger. From these two aforementioned scripture,one can easily deduce that there is likely one superior master/God to whom both Jesus and Muhammad are Son and messenger respectively.

Arguing about whether Christians and Muslims are serving the same God or difference God is pointless and a mere waste of precious time.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Sanchez01: 9:43am On Aug 06, 2014
Dsage1:

You don't get it sir!

The last time I checked, I discovered that both religions was brought to you and I from the same continent (middle east). So, what the hell are you people arguing about/trying to differentiate?

According to the bible, Jesus is the only direct son of God, while Quran claimed Muhammad to be only true God sent messenger. From these two aforementioned scripture,one can easily deduce that there is likely one superior master/God to whom both Jesus and Muhammad are Son and messenger respectively.

Arguing about whether Christians and Muslims are serving the same God or difference God is pointless and a mere waste of precious time.
Quite right but you surely missed a lot of points...

Okay, then—do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

First, all Christians don't worship the same God, and all Muslims don't worship the same God.

Fair enough.

But I think that Muslims and Christians who embrace the normative traditions of their faith refer to the same object, to the same Being, when they pray, when they worship, when they talk about God. The referent is the same.

The description of God is partly different. There are significant differences that are the subject of strenuous debates. Some differences really are foundational to the faith, like the doctrine of the Trinity. At the same time, there's this amazing overlap and similarity. We need to build on what is similar rather than simply bemoan what's different.

What are the most striking similarities between the way Muslims talk about Allah and the way Christians talk about God?

One that shouldn't be forgotten is that God is one in both traditions. That's very important. Two, God is merciful. Also, God is just. God's oneness, God's mercy, and God's justice are significant commonalities. We have different understandings of each of these, but the overlaps are really impressive.

Some theologians argue that when Christians and Muslims say "God is one," they mean fundamentally different things, since for the Christian, God is a Trinity.

I would respond by asking, "Do Christians and Jews worship different gods?" And I would hope the response would be, "No. Jews and Christians worship the same God. They just understand God in a different way—Christians in a Trinitarian way, and Jews not."

Some Jews and Muslims accuse Christians of being idolatrous for believing in the Trinity. My response to both groups is that they fundamentally misunderstand the Christian understanding of the Trinity. It's not that we worship three distinct entities who sit on three thrones next to each other; we worship one undivided, divine being who comes to us in three persons.

If somebody postulates the existence of more than one god, I would have to say we don't worship the same god. If somebody says that God is basically one with the world, I would also have to say we don't worship the same god. What binds Muslims and Christians, and what is central to my argument, is that God is one, that God is distinct from the world, and that the one God has created everything that is not God. There is a radical divide between creature and creator. This is a fundamental monotheistic belief. Muslims, Christians, and Jews share that belief. Therefore, they believe in the same God. Polytheists and idolaters do not share that belief.

If Christians and Muslims worship the same God and understand his will as more or less the same—to love God and neighbor—are Islam and Christianity two equally worthy paths to salvation?

I can worship the same God and still not properly, adequately, fully relate to that God or understand who that God is and what God's ways with humanity are. Each of the faiths, Islam and Christianity, has a different way of understanding precisely what God demands and, more fundamentally, what God gives. And I think it's appropriate for each of the faiths—but especially for Christians, who are commanded to do so—to engage in witness, to point to the full reality of who God is and what Jesus Christ in particular has done for the salvation of humanity.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Dsage1: 11:29am On Aug 06, 2014
Sanchez01:
Quite right but you surely missed a lot of points...

Okay, then—do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

First, all Christians don't worship the same God, and all Muslims don't worship the same God.

Fair enough.

But I think that Muslims and Christians who embrace the normative traditions of their faith refer to the same object, to the same Being, when they pray, when they worship, when they talk about God. The referent is the same.

The description of God is partly different. There are significant differences that are the subject of strenuous debates. Some differences really are foundational to the faith, like the doctrine of the Trinity. At the same time, there's this amazing overlap and similarity. We need to build on what is similar rather than simply bemoan what's different.

What are the most striking similarities between the way Muslims talk about Allah and the way Christians talk about God?

One that shouldn't be forgotten is that God is one in both traditions. That's very important. Two, God is merciful. Also, God is just. God's oneness, God's mercy, and God's justice are significant commonalities. We have different understandings of each of these, but the overlaps are really impressive.

Some theologians argue that when Christians and Muslims say "God is one," they mean fundamentally different things, since for the Christian, God is a Trinity.

I would respond by asking, "Do Christians and Jews worship different gods?" And I would hope the response would be, "No. Jews and Christians worship the same God. They just understand God in a different way—Christians in a Trinitarian way, and Jews not."

Some Jews and Muslims accuse Christians of being idolatrous for believing in the Trinity. My response to both groups is that they fundamentally misunderstand the Christian understanding of the Trinity. It's not that we worship three distinct entities who sit on three thrones next to each other; we worship one undivided, divine being who comes to us in three persons.

If somebody postulates the existence of more than one god, I would have to say we don't worship the same god. If somebody says that God is basically one with the world, I would also have to say we don't worship the same god. What binds Muslims and Christians, and what is central to my argument, is that God is one, that God is distinct from the world, and that the one God has created everything that is not God. There is a radical divide between creature and creator. This is a fundamental monotheistic belief. Muslims, Christians, and Jews share that belief. Therefore, they believe in the same God. Polytheists and idolaters do not share that belief.

If Christians and Muslims worship the same God and understand his will as more or less the same—to love God and neighbor—are Islam and Christianity two equally worthy paths to salvation?

I can worship the same God and still not properly, adequately, fully relate to that God or understand who that God is and what God's ways with humanity are. Each of the faiths, Islam and Christianity, has a different way of understanding precisely what God demands and, more fundamentally, what God gives. And I think it's appropriate for each of the faiths—but especially for Christians, who are commanded to do so—to engage in witness, to point to the full reality of who God is and what Jesus Christ in particular has done for the salvation of humanity.

If I understand your post very well, I will assume you actually acknowledge the existence of one God worshiped in difference manners through Jesus,Muhammad etc?
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Damilare1998(m): 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2014
12345DKO: [/quote]
12345DKO:
YES THAT IS CORRECT
[quote author=12345DKO]
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by ZKOSOSO(m): 3:27pm On Aug 18, 2014
There is no need for any dogon turanci here for by their friuts you shall know them!!
The answer is capital NO.
Queen of Heaven with its Symbol of Moon and a star is what Allah is. The history of Nimrod and Seminaris would eventually open your eyes to know the chameleonic numenclature of Allah. Don't be Confused.
See for yourself allover The world where muslims are found u will notice a pathological hate for true christians and churches. But look at wherever Christians are found in the whole world you will notice Love For all of humanity including mosques and muslims.
Instead of looking for whether we serve Same God rather look for the fruits of Love from God to mankind and ask yourself which religion practice it and which One believe in violence, hate, bloodshed, peadophiles, looting, abduction of peoples daughters for sex, domination over others by anymeans etc.
Make no mistake that Jesus of the bible is not the same as Isa of quran. No.
Lot, solomon, david, adam etc were not prophets in the bible but islam called them prophets.
There is only ONE GOD ALMIGHTY as explained by the mystery of TRINITY.
He lives in ME!!
I Call Him my Father!!
Can a muslim say the same thing?
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Ochoiho: 3:59pm On Aug 18, 2014
caseless: everybody is at liberty to cook his own fake story.

Allah is not God. Its a Blood-sucking demon with a unquenchable taste for blood. The koran inspire murder, even of ones children, to please Allah Islam.The koran is a deception. What the Imans do in the Mosque is same as Idolatry.

1 Like

Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by Ochoiho: 4:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
[quote author=Dsage1]

If I understand your post very well, I will assume you actually acknowledge the existence of one God worshiped in difference manners through Jesus,Muhammad etc?

There are several demons Posing as God. The Almighty God can not be reach through several means.
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by tijjanioyan: 7:11am On Aug 19, 2014
caseless: the father unlimited; the son unlimited; and the holyghost unlimited...
Likewise the father is almighty ;the son almighty and the holy ghost almighty. And yet they're not 3 almighties; but one almighty . So the father is God; the son God ;and the holy ghost is God. And in this trinity none is before, or after another; none is greater or less than another.
Xtainity and its adherents must answer some question; too much confusion.
and which verse in d bible dat giv u trinity?
Re: Do Christians And Muslims Reall Serve The Same God??? by tijjanioyan: 7:12am On Aug 19, 2014
delkuf: We are not serving the same God. I cannot serve a God that say if I kill fellow human, I will be given 72 virgin.
bring ur proof

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Existentialism? / [picture] The 6th Commandment Is Inconclusive And Cannot Be Defined / Things The Bible Never Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.