Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:53 PM

Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others (23327 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Official Languages Of African Countries---very Sad / I Hope That The Indigenous Languages Of Nigeria Will Continue To Be Spoken. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:14pm On Aug 07, 2014
pickabeau1:

Yes.. but Fulani was the lanaguage of the conquerors... how come they could not subsume Hausa

Because Hausa was the language of trade and governance. The Throne of Hausaland is still very much Hausa. The majority population is Hausa.

The Fulani learnt to govern from the Hausa model. Basically all the court rituals,etc., are Hausa.

Dan Fodio was more of a pan-islamist, than he was a Fulbe Nationalist.

His main intention was imposing islam, not Fulani culture. He probably even despised original Mbororo culture because once he gained the Hausa throne, he didnt do much for the cattle-Fulani ,except for giving them free reign to enter Arewa.

4 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pickabeau1: 5:17pm On Aug 07, 2014
Interesting ...
PAGAN9JA:

Because Hausa was the language of trade and governance. The Throne of Hausaland is still very much Hausa. The majority population is Hausa.

The Fulani learnt to govern from the Hausa model. Basically all the court rituals,etc., are Hausa.

Dan Fodio was more of a pan-islamist, than he was a Fulbe Nationalist.

His main intention was imposing islam, not Fulani culture. He probably even despised original Mbororo culture because once he gained the Hausa throne, he didnt do much for the cattle-Fulani ,except for giving them free reign to enter Arewa.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by cheruv: 5:19pm On Aug 07, 2014
pickabeau1:

Yes.. but Fulani was the lanaguage of the conquerors... how come they could not subsume Hausa
some languages are just like that.. no matter how many times you conquer their speakers, they'd end up assimilating you.for example the land of Sin(China) has been conquered by these foreign dynasties
1]Liao/khitan..926-1125
2]Jin/Manchu or jurchen(old name)... 1125-1234
3]Yuan/Mongol..... 1234-1368
4]Qing/Manchu or jurchen as they were previously known... 1644-1911
the funniest thing about these dynasties is that instead of khitanizing;jurchenizing or manchurizing and mongolizing the Han,they ended up being sinicized by the Han cheesy
I've a feeling that the hausas are like the Han.. they'd end up hausanizing the Fulani cheesy grin
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:21pm On Aug 07, 2014
When the islamic Caliphate conquered Iran and Baghdad using the help of Bedu Arab Tribes, what happened next?

The Powerful and rich settled in Baghdad and formed their own courtly customs based on the earlier Iranian model.

The Bedouin Arab Tribes who formed the bulk of the Army , then returned back to their near pre-islamic nomadic state in the Deserts of Arabia.

Upto 60 yrs back, Arabia had always been a poor, destitute place filled with Bedouin tribes raiding each other and practicing Ancient Arab customs, that is not practiced by other muslims.

There was no development at all in Arabia from the islamic wealth generated by the Caliphate. Not one remarkable architectural building or anything of significance.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:26pm On Aug 07, 2014
The truth is that the only reason the Cattle Herding Tribes like The Mbororo or the BEdouins sided with these islamic jihads, was the promise of wealth and plunder. religion was secondary.

THey had no intention of settling in civilization though. Very few did, back then.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 8:14pm On Aug 07, 2014
Fulaman198:

What do you think of the Ika people?

I think the same of them, as i think of their co-travellers in Rivers state.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 8:23pm On Aug 07, 2014
1shortblackboy: . In Africa where d history of a people is hardly written how can we dismiss a groups oral tradituons of their history. It is wrong for u to say there's no hitory of these people speaking other languages. Most of d history of d people of Africa is hardly ascertainable we only accept what seems reasonable from peoples oral history.

History of those cursed people can't be different from the history of the rest of the world. With no Igbo colonization on them, and absence of a dead language, it's obvious these cursed tribes had been Igbo speaking from antiquity. Ndiigbo are neighbours to akwa ibom tribes too, but akwa ibom languages are still the same as it used to be, even small Ogoni still retained her language, even when they have Igbo speaking Ndoki neighbours. I am yet to hear in history, where a neighbouring group abandoned it's language for that of it's neighbours without being colonized by their neighbours, and completely forget the name of the language they use to speak, it's only cursed people that would make such claims.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by 1shortblackboy: 10:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
pazienza:

History of those cursed people can't be different from the history of the rest of the world. With no Igbo colonization on them, and absence of a dead language, it's obvious these cursed tribes had been Igbo speaking from antiquity. Ndiigbo are neighbours to akwa ibom tribes too, but akwa ibom languages are still the same as it used to be, even small Ogoni still retained her language, even when they have Igbo speaking Ndoki neighbours. I am yet to hear in history, where a neighbouring group abandoned it's language for that of it's neighbours without being colonized by their neighbours, and completely forget the name of the language they use to speak, it's only cursed people that would make such claims.
I guess u have just refused to appreciate my point
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 08, 2014
Tangale, a language spoken in some parts of Gombe State should be on this list.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:45am On Aug 08, 2014
enigmaotr: Tangale, a language spoken in some parts of Gombe State should be on this list.

I have a Tangale friend. Ill ask him the status.

As for Marghi, all other branches are safe (for now), except Marghi West.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Fulaman198(m): 7:52am On Aug 08, 2014
enigmaotr: Tangale, a language spoken in some parts of Gombe State should be on this list.

I already mentioned it earlier
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 08, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

I have a Tangale friend. Ill ask him the status.

As for Marghi, all other branches are safe (for now), except Marghi West.
Most young people do not know how to speak the Languge. It's not too late to salvage the situation though.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
Fulaman198:

I already mentioned it earlier
I didn't notice it.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Humblebloke(m): 6:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
pazienza:

America like i told you, is a new world. All the whites in America trace their origin to different European groups. You can only compare Nigeria to Europe, another old world continent with indigenous people.

Lagos is not in anyway having diversity. There is peace in Lagos because the rest of the country left the politics and governance of Lagos to Yolobars, even the civil service. The day Ndiigbo would dare galvanize and massively try to share the political power of Lagos with Yolobars, would be the day blood would flow. This is so because Lagos is a land with active indigenous people, but in California USA,a certain migrant from Austria became a governor of that state, this was possible because of the fact that America is a country of migrants.

Man... Ur case is so critical.
Ur posts shows u a IRREPAIRABLE TRIBAL BIGOT....and u r hatin on ISLAM 2...

Nawa 4 u!
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by AmunRaOlodumare: 6:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
Most studies shows that African pupils do much better in mathematics, science and other school subjects when learning in their own language.

Many African empires in the past were composed of people of different languages and ethnicity. African communicate with each others through multilingualism and the use of lingua franca.

African education should use African languages as language of instructions and use multilingualism.

Considering the current situation in Nigeria the best policies would be

1- Use of local languages for every school subjects like Mathematic, Science and History. As long as possible up to the university level.
2- Have pupils learn another African language from Nigeria. Possibly a national/regional lingua franca. It can be a choice among many.
3- Have pupils learn English as an international lingua franca.

African people are often multilingual by nature. While nobody wants to give up their own language, the language of their community. This is the perfect solution. Some pilot studies have been made and in term of grades, the children have better grades when learning in their own community language and are more responsive in class.

I firmly believe that if Africans would use their own language in education like most of the world (Japanese, Korean, Finnish, Hebrew, English, Portuguese, Russians, VietNamese, Chinese, Swedish, etc) we would see a much faster rates of development. Beside British countries no European countries at all use English as language of instructions, only us poor colonized people do!!

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
Education can be done in English. SInce there are some complex terms, scientific terms,etc., hard to translate into native language.

However , the First Language of Mother Tongue should be made compulsory in Primary and Secondary schools though, with intensive essay writings, folk tales,etc., to be taught to students.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by AmunRaOlodumare: 7:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
PAGAN9JA: Education can be done in English. SInce there are some complex terms, scientific terms,etc., hard to translate into native language.
Every languages in the world need to translate terms from English to their own language whether it's Russian, Swedish, Japanese, Hebrew, Finnish, Czech, etc. When you learn those terms when you're young, it's easy to know them.

Using foreign (colonial) languages as language of instruction is one of the most obvious causes of African underdevelopment!

No country in Europe beside Britain use English as language of instruction!!! None!! (although they do learn it as second language)
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 9:13am On Aug 09, 2014
Humblebloke:

Man... Ur case is so critical.
Ur posts shows u a IRREPAIRABLE TRIBAL BIGOT....and u r hatin on ISLAM 2...

Nawa 4 u!

I don't hate Islam, i see all religions as the same. No difference between Islam and xtianity, the only difference being that we didn't witness the violent stage of xtianity in our life time, cos history tells us that xtians were once terrorists like their muslim brothers. But we are quite unfortunate to be witnessing the violent stage of islam in our life time, where as xtianity is now in it's non violence stage, so as a person who isn't a member of any religion, i would prefer to have xtians around me, than muslims, not because i like xtianity more than islam, cos i consider them same, but because of the stages of evolution of both religions. While xtianity is presently non violent, same can't be said of islam.

As for the tribal bigot part, well in am unapologetically pro Igbo, and believe it or not, i habour no hatred for non Igbos, i just don't believe Ndiigbo have any reason to share same country with non Igbos, especially Nigerian groups whom Ndiigbo share divergent life, cultural political and religious ideologies with.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 09, 2014
pazienza: This would be true,if Ndiigbo had once colonized the group in question, or if the group speaks Igbo language or any of it's dialects as a second and not first language.
alright

However, if a group that speaks an intelligible Igbo dialect as it's first language, but disclaims being Igbo. That group is cursed, and suffers from self hate/ inferiority complex( a trait not known amongst Ndiigbo), hence the group is obviously of an inferior stock, and would be deemed too inferior to bear the great name Igbo,by the rest of Igbo speaking tribes.

if it happens that a group adopts igbo language as their first language because their original language dies out, it doesn't make them igbo. By your reasoning, because some nigerians speak english as their first language, they are somehow british, but because they claim to be yoruba, igbo or something else, they automatically become inferior british.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 1:47pm On Aug 09, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:
alright

if it happens that a group adopts igbo language as their first language because their original language dies out, it doesn't make them igbo. By your reasoning, because some nigerians speak english as their first language, they are somehow british, but because they claim to be yoruba, igbo or something else, they automatically become inferior british.

Some Nigerians speak English as their first language, because Nigeria was colonized by Britain, but we know that Ndiigbo are not empire builders, so we colonized no Nigerian group to make them speak our language. So as you can see, your comparision of English language, a colonial language,and Igbo language is totally misplaced

Secondly, even when a Nigerian speaks English as a first language, the Nigerian still knows that the native language of his people is not English, he just doesn't know this, he also knows the name of the language his people speak originally. But in the case of the 'cursed' people, there is no evidence of previous language before their adoption of an Igboid one, their oral history has no knowledge of previous language other than their present language, this is so because there were no previous language. Heck, even small Egun people still know their Egun language, even though Yolobar language is now rendering it extinct, how much more bigger groups like the 'cursed' tribes of Delta and Rivers state.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 09, 2014
pazienza:

Some Nigerians speak English as their first language, because Nigeria was colonized by Britain, but we know that Ndiigbo are not empire builders, so we colonized no Nigerian group to make them speak our language. So as you can see, your comparision of English language, a colonial language,and Igbo language is totally misplaced

Secondly, even when a Nigerian speaks English as a first language, the Nigerian still knows that the native language of his people is not English, he just doesn't know this, he also knows the name of the language his people speak originally. But in the case of the 'cursed' people, there is no evidence of previous language before their adoption of an Igboid one, their oral history has no knowledge of previous language other than their present language, this is so because there were no previous language. Heck, even small Egun people still know their Egun language, even though Yolobar language is now rendering it extinct, how much more bigger groups like the 'cursed' tribes of Delta and Rivers state.

firstly. Alright, it's generally accepted that the igbo didn't subjugate others, and the growth of the Nri kingdom without the use of war is a ready example. But some languages may hinder others without the people actually being subjugated. Mandarin(chinese) is one example, Igbo may also be one, because it was the language used by a people who were adept at trading long before colonialism.

secondly. Things happen, languages disapper, languages get assimilated. people who speak igboid languages might as well have lost theirs long ago to igbo. You shouldn't look down on them because of the fact that they retain a distinct culture from most other igbo speaking groups. their dialect of Igbo should be as valued as any and their culture as celebrated as any, and they also reserve the right to stick with their original identity or whichever new identity they make for themselves, or discover themselves in.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by pazienza(m): 6:26pm On Aug 09, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

firstly. Alright, it's generally accepted that the igbo didn't subjugate others, and the growth of the Nri kingdom without the use of war is a ready example. But some languages may hinder others without the people actually being subjugated. Mandarin(chinese) is one example, Igbo may also be one, because it was the language used by a people who were adept at trading long before colonialism.

secondly. Things happen, languages disapper, languages get assimilated. people who speak igboid languages might as well have lost theirs long ago to igbo. You shouldn't look down on them because of the fact that they retain a distinct culture from most other igbo speaking groups. their dialect of Igbo should be as valued as any and their culture as celebrated as any, and they also reserve the right to stick with their original identity or whichever new identity they make for themselves, or discover themselves in.

Those Igboid groups have no distinct culture from the rest of Ndiigbo, the ancient gods remain the same, Ali/ani/ana/ala remain the earth goddess from Igbanke to Arochukwu, just as water remain mmili/mmiri/mmunyi/mini, native doctors remain Dibia/dibe/diwe, king remain Eze, they have no distinct culture more than the variation that exists throughout the rest of Igboland between two Igbo towns. So their so called distinctness is imaginary ,self induced and so far away from reality.

Igbos traded with Ogonis too, and Ogoni is smaller than all these Igboid groups, yet Ogoni dialects stands, we traded with the Ibibios/Anangs/Efiks, yet they still retained their dialects, in Opobo where many Igbos mixed with Ijaws, the Ijaws still retain their Ibani dialect even though it's dying,but atleast we know there is a dialect called ibani, the Olukumi that lives amongst the Aniocha Igbo people in delta, still have their Yoloboid dialect, even though it's dying, the Igalas that traded with Igbos in Nsukka and Aguleri still retain their Igala language, the Idomas that traded with the Ezza and Ikwo Igbos still retained their Idoma language.

But the 'cursed' Igboid tribes want us to believe that they lost their language to Igbo language, because of their interaction with Ndiigbo, incredible!

I can't look down on them more than they had already looked on themselves, i wish them what they wish themselves.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by teewhybabee(f): 8:46pm On Aug 09, 2014
BrAkingNews: anabira uwa vini
anebira mivini. Seme du we huse?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by BrAkingNews: 8:59pm On Aug 09, 2014
teewhybabee: anebira mivini. Seme du we huse?
mesi kimaye ni nah. so can we hook up?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by teewhybabee(f): 10:31pm On Aug 09, 2014
BrAkingNews: mesi kimaye ni nah. so can we hook up?
hahaha, so na hook up go end all dis our ebira gist..?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by BrAkingNews: 3:52am On Aug 10, 2014
teewhybabee: hahaha, so na hook up go end all dis our ebira gist..?
LOL, anything else more important? ??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ghanaian King, Céphas Bansah Rules Via Skype From Germany, Builds Jail For Women / Oluwo Installs Emmytex Martins Emeka As Eze Ndigbo Of Iwoland Today (Pictures) / Fulani Siddika Sanusi's Bridal Shower (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.