Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others (23037 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Official Languages Of African Countries---very Sad / I Hope That The Indigenous Languages Of Nigeria Will Continue To Be Spoken. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by MrTeymee(m): 7:26am On Aug 06, 2014
*speechless*
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Lagusta(m): 7:26am On Aug 06, 2014
There is a language spoken in badagry area of lagos, called egun or ogun.... That language is getting extinct too, if not that they have a paramount ruler i.e akran of badagry
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Revolva(m): 7:32am On Aug 06, 2014
Wow apart from the bassa language ...listed I have not heard of any of these languages
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by IronBoi(m): 7:34am On Aug 06, 2014
many languages in cross river are in this category, only been spoken in small villages. like okuni where i serve in cross river. the language is only spoken in d village even nxt village like 2km away have different language
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by dont8(m): 7:47am On Aug 06, 2014
He's saying the truth, so again, what has cultural diversity given us other than what he listed.
Chrisx1x: what is this one saying? Are u ok?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by nymphomaniac(m): 7:47am On Aug 06, 2014
#teamEnglish language....one thing is certain, pidgin can never go extinct

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Abiagirl777(f): 7:48am On Aug 06, 2014
Come to Eleme LGA Rivers state and hear languages.none of de communities there can understand what the neighbouring community speaks.in de next 20 yrs,what you'll hear there is English,pidgin and Igbo languages.
Talk of Extinction

2 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Princess4eva(f): 8:03am On Aug 06, 2014
makzeze: HAUSA SHOULD BE MADE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF NIGERIA.

Ori e ti daru! So Yorubas and Ibos should look on abi? Anofia!

6 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by maestroferddi: 8:08am On Aug 06, 2014
1shortblackboy: When a smaller group lives close to a larger group and has constant interactions with the larger gruop, its Language may go extinct. These are known facts to linguits and anthropologists......Igbos take note
Keep deluding yourself. The Igbo language is among the most vibrant in Nigeria. The assertion that it is falling into disuse is majorly a media invention championed by detractors. There is currently an upsurge of interest in the language across Nigeria. And then Nollywood is doing such a marvellous job...

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by halix239(f): 8:19am On Aug 06, 2014
AKMoney1: Well, I don't know anything about these languages but YORUBA ROCKS. wink

Omo YORUBA ni mi oo, SWAGGER. grin
a.k.a kpomo mouths
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 06, 2014
Ceasar1: I'm not a fan of our cultural diversity. It has installed nothing but hatred, division, and distrust amongst Us. We can't function as one becasuse we are all different. So I don't give a damn about it's extinction! Wtcheww!
i'm amazed by ur myopic view on this issue. The fact that the colonial masters deemed it fit to pin us all together doesn't make it right if other people lose their cultural heritage. All the hatred, division and war u claimed was caused by diverse cultures was actually caused by attitude like yours. Cultural diversity is what makes Nigeria unique
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by jared007: 8:31am On Aug 06, 2014
Urhobo lang is going extinct! Pidgin english is replacing it

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by anonimi: 8:48am On Aug 06, 2014
Please add YORUBA also.

2 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2014
Natural trend , the remaining ones should b valued, with one being picked as the national language
Hausa is widely spoken but they dont have enough materials and intellectuals, so i Will go for igbo or yoruba
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by masqot(m): 9:01am On Aug 06, 2014
It's surprising how some people are utterly myopic on this topic. The author of this observation raised a serious issue of concern. Any river that forgets its source would dry. First, we are African and we can only trace our history down here. I learnt Wesley Snipes' and the Williams' visit to Nigeria was because they traced their history down to Africa (unconfirmed). Language is one of the information needed on ancestrry.com to trace a man's genealogy.
My fear is that very soon so many languages would face extinction threat (including major languages). Parents should make extra effort to make their children understand their true identity. In the 80s, Nigeria languages are part of subjects in the elementary schools. I doubt if this is obtainable these days because my children don't offer any indigenous language in their schools. Except I speak my language to them at home, which is not, they may not know how to speak it.
Though this is one of the characteristics of globalization, I believe government needs to do something to salvage and protect our languages. God bless. Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Ezibless: 9:02am On Aug 06, 2014
[color=#000000][/color][b][/b] Why won't it be mostly Northerners? When they promote HAUSA language leaving theirs to go extinct! I've seen and being with Kaduna peeps that speak hausa 80% of the time and wen u asked them,they'll be like ''no ooo,my real languge is 'KATAF'''

#Hausa don become their lingua franca na
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Ezibless: 9:06am On Aug 06, 2014
jared007: Urhobo lang is going extinct! Pidgin english is replacing it
Sooo true. I've listened to one Papa Ayo's messages where he preached in one Warri town and it was interpreted in Pidgin!

And i was like WhatTheHeck!!!!
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by izuplayspiano(m): 9:16am On Aug 06, 2014
1shortblackboy: When a smaller group lives close to a larger group and has constant interactions with the larger gruop, its Language may go extinct. These are known facts to linguits and anthropologists......Igbos take note
Anu mpama

2 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by cirmuell(m): 9:32am On Aug 06, 2014
Lagusta: There is a language spoken in badagry area of lagos, called egun or ogun.... That language is getting extinct too, if not that they have a paramount ruler i.e akran of badagry
it's not bro,the languageis widely spoken in Benin republic; Cotonou precisely wink
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by inice(m): 9:35am On Aug 06, 2014
MOBJECTIVE: THE BENGALI PEOPLE OF PRESENT DAY BANGLADESH ACTUALLY FOUGHT FOR THEIR OWN LANGUAGE. THEY FOUGHT, AGITATED AND MARCHED FOR IT'S USE AS AN OFFICIAL LANGUAGE. FOR IT'S USE IN CURRENCY, GOVERNMENT,EDUCATION, etc; STUDENT'S EVEN DIED FIGHTING FOR THIER LANGUAGE. BUT IT PAID OFF! TODAY, BENGALI IS ONE OF THE WORLD'S MOST SPOKEN LANGUAGES, AND IS RANKED 7TH IN THE WORLD smiley

big lie
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 9:36am On Aug 06, 2014
inice:

big lie

What?
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by inice(m): 9:40am On Aug 06, 2014
Chrisx1x: what is this one saying? Are u ok?
because the English bobo doesn't know his root mtchew
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by ChiSun27(m): 9:46am On Aug 06, 2014
makzeze: HAUSA SHOULD BE MADE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF NIGERIA.

R u high on somethn
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Mustapha111888(m): 9:56am On Aug 06, 2014
[quote author=MOBJECTIVE]Nigeria boasts of her many and diverse cultures and languages, but steps need to be taken to preserve the most important cultural heritage of our various ethic groups otherwise we risk loosing them forever. Below is a list of endangered languages in Nigeria; how long will it be till YOUR own Language is on this list? 20 years, 30 years, 50, 100...

1) Basa-Kontagora language

Basa-Kontagora is a nearly extinct Kainji language of Nigeria. It is spoken in Mariga, Niger state, near Kontagora and the Basa homeland.
Only 10 known speakers as of 1987
Once had 30000 speakers

2) Bete language

The Bete language of Nigeria is a nearly extinct language spoken by a small minority (50 people) of the 3,000 inhabitants of Bete Town, Takum, Taraba State; its speakers have mostly shifted to Jukun Takum. It is close to Lufu.

3) Baissa Fali language

Fali is a moribund language of southern Taraba State, Nigeria. It had few speakers in 1992. It is of uncertain affiliation within the Niger–Congo language family, clearly within the Benue–Congo languages but otherwise unclassified.

4) Defaka language

*region:Rivers State, Bonny District
*200 speakers as of 2001

Ethnically, the Defaka people are distinct from the Nkoroo, but they have assimilated to Nkoroo culture to such a degree that their language seems to be the only sign of a distinct Defaka identity. Use of the Defaka language however is quickly receding in favour of the language of the Nkoroo. Nowadays, most Defaka speakers are elderly people, and even among these, Defaka is rarely spoken — the total number of Defaka speakers is at most 200 nowadays (SIL/Ethnologue 15th ed.). The decrease in use of Defaka is stronger in Nkoroo town than in the Iwoma area. All children grow up speaking Nkoroo (an Ijo language) as a first language. The next most used language among the Defaka is Igbo, owing to the political influence of the Opobo since the days of the Oil Rivers Trade. Igbo has been a language of instruction in many schools in the region and still functions as a regional trade language.

5) Kiong language

Kiong, or Kayon, is a nearly extinct Upper Cross River language of Nigeria.
100 speakers as of 2004

6) Kudu-Camo language

Kudu and Camo (Chamo) are a nearly extinct Kainji dialect cluster of Nigeria.

region: Bauchi state
42 known speakers as of 1990

7) Labir language

Labir, or Jaku, is one of the Southern Bantoid Jarawan languages of Nigeria, spoken in Bauchi State

500 speakers as of 2008
Once had 13000 speakers

8] Lere language

Lere is a nearly extinct Kainji dialect cluster of Nigeria. spoken by very few out of about 15000 people

region: Bauchi state
unknown number of speakers

9) Lufu language

The Lufu language of Nigeria is a language still spoken mostly by older adults among the Lufu people of the Takum Local Government Authority, Taraba State; its speakers have mostly shifted to Jukun. It is close to Bete.

3200 speakers as of 2006

10) Polci/Luri language

Polci (Polchi) is a Chadic dialect cluster of Nigeria. Speakers are shifting to Hausa.
The extinct Luri dialect is not well attested. Work by Bernard Caron with the last speakers shows that it is closely related to Langas dialect.

Region: Bauchi state
there were 22000 speakers in 1995

11) Njerep language

Njerep is a nearly extinct Mambiloid language of Nigeria.
Niger delta region
only 6 speakers in year 2000

12) Odut Language
Extinct cry
Odut is an extinct Upper Cross River language of Nigeria
region once spoken: Cross river state

13) Putai language
Putai (also known as Marghi West) is a nearly extinct Afro-Asiatic language spoken in Nigeria. The language is dying out in favor of Kanuri.

region: Borno State
50 speakers (date unknown)

14) Shau language
Shau (Sho), or Lìsháù, is a nearly extinct Kainji language of Nigeria.

Region: Bauchi state
Unknown number of speakers

15) Somyev language
Somyev (Somyewe), also known as Kila, is a nearly extinct Mambiloid language of Nigeria, spoken by a caste of blacksmiths that live among the Mambila.

18 speakers as of year 2000

16) Vono language
Vono, also known as Kiwollo (Kiballo), is a nearly extinct Kainji language of Nigeria
region: Kaduna state
number of speakers unknown
there were 500 speakers in 1973

17) Ziriya language
Ziriya (Jiriya) and Sheni are a Kainji language of Nigeria. They are geographically but perhaps not linguistically distinct.

Regions: Bauchi and kaduna state
Ethnicity: 3000

Image showing major ethno linguistic groups in Nigeria

In fact this is my first time of knowing these language
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by CoolKizzy(m): 10:19am On Aug 06, 2014
^^ aboki
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by popson1st: 10:26am On Aug 06, 2014
igbsam:

God Bless you for this...........What Benefit has cultural diversity given us ? rather than hate and division

God bless you both. Our cultural diversity has only produced Shekau and Dokubo. Nonsense country.

1 Like

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Arcard(m): 10:40am On Aug 06, 2014
ka chukwu dozie ukwu na-ibe no eba ugbua
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Sweetlemon(f): 10:47am On Aug 06, 2014
Nope! English is NOT the cause of the extinction. How can it be when the average graduate can hardly construct simple sentences without throwing bombs?

The real cause is the larger languages swallowing up the smaller ones. For instance, in the North and even middle belt everybody speaks Hausa. Ask them their own language and you will hear all sorts of strange names. Can they speak their own languages? Hardly!
In the Niger-delta, apart from the Urhobos, the Ijaws, and Ishekiris, pidgin is the lingua franca. Even among Yorubas and Igbos, they still have their own versions. How many Ijebus can speak Ijebu gan gan? How many Igbos can speak their own Igbo versions? The only groups still keeping up with their languages are the Efiks, Ibibios, Oron, Eket, Annang, and a few other groups from Akwa-Ibom/Cross River.

3 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Briareos(m): 10:54am On Aug 06, 2014
Ceasar1: I'm not a fan of our cultural diversity. It has installed nothing but hatred, division, and distrust amongst Us. We can't function as one becasuse we are all different. So I don't give a damn about it's extinction! Wtcheww!

Diversity is not responsible for hatred, division and distrust among us.

Somalia has just one tribe - yet they are war torn. US is the most diversified country in the world - do I need to say more?

2 Likes

Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 06, 2014
Briareos:

Diversity is not responsible for hatred, division and distrust among us.

Somalia has just one tribe - yet they are war torn. US is the most diversified country in the world - do I need to say more?

No offense, but do you understand what I'm trying to say at all? undecided

We both need to understand each other before proceeding to discuss.
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by halix239(f): 11:10am On Aug 06, 2014
wot of baju, I guess it has also gone on extinction
Re: Endangered Languages Of Nigeria + Others by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:14am On Aug 06, 2014
I know many of these languages. It is sad they are getting extinct. Something needs to be done. We must atleast document all the words, syllables,etc., for future generations. The Nigerian Govt. must encourage these languages in schools.

Cultural Diversity is good for the Nation. we just need to learn to live with each other.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WELCOME TO AFRICA - 15 Funny Attributes That Suggest That You Might Be African / Masquerade Festival Celebration In Akwa Ibom State (Videos, Photos) / Oluwo Installs Emmytex Martins Emeka As Eze Ndigbo Of Iwoland Today (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.