Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,660 members, 7,955,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:49 AM

Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest (25205 Views)

Durban Invites All Short Filmmmakers To Submit Entries For 6th Talent Campus / Viewing Nigerian Tv Stations Is Like A Nightmare / The Durban Youth In Film Society Presents The Durban Short Film Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Ikamenze(m): 3:24am On Aug 11, 2014
@speedyboi and d last girl dat commented,God bless u both...

Some pple will argue dat Bollywood is whr it is today because of the ORIGINALITY in their films...but then again..dat word ORIGINALITY is relative..let's ask ourselves,what makes a film original? Is it because of the language used d in dialogues? Or becos they are telling their own stories? But are they really telling their own stories? I've seen some pretty cool action indian movies with all hollywood effects and shit...I've seen films from bollywood that are complete rip offs from hollywood films....so whr's d originality in dat?

My point is,whether u like it or not,its dis same propaganda ridden western stereotypical films dat SELLS...dey sell because the audience love em...don't be deceived,foreign films n tv series sell more in Nigeria than nollywood films....

While I don't wish Nigeria to go d S.A route, I wish we cud serzly take a cue from hollywood by giving d audience what dey want...Entertaining..Original movies with good,well interpreted storyline and action that d audience can relate with...we need to start telling our story,we need to start telling our story WELL....

So in all honesty,I wudnt blame d south africans for trying to join d band wagon,dey fink dats d way forward....

Again..dis is a wake up call to we d next or shud I say present generation of filmmakers..we've got a big task ahead of us...Time to stop dulling..

@villageboi....u are neither here nor there...its quite annoying really....u can only play king on internet platforms for so long..if u dnt like d way things re in d industry,do something about it....be d change u wanna see.....put all dat ur knowledge to gud use nor be to dey nairaland dey form Chairman....

10 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Briareos(m): 8:49am On Aug 11, 2014
^^^

Didn't get the meat of what you wrote for most part but Bollywood was built on copying Hollywood. They practically remade all top notch Hollywood films into Indian versions.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 9:02am On Aug 11, 2014
@ Ikamenze

First let me tell you that I did click ‘like’ on your post because some of the content was good. However, I’ll also say you’re very wrong in the last part of your post in laying the claim that you ‘know me’, what I do or don’t do to the extent that you feel you need to attack me as a person. If I post something and you have an issue with it, feel free to have a debate about it.

You state I’m neither ‘here nor there’. I’ve always been clear on exactly where I stand – We need to tell far better stories, period. I’ve never shifted from that view and if you have not figured that out by now then that’s your opinion and tough if it gives you a headache, as it clearly does.
How many times have you been to see a movie, you didn’t like it and you asked for your money back? Never! How many times have you been to a restaurant you didn’t like the food and so decided to become a chef? Never! How many times have you driven on a pot-holed road and then decided to become an engineer? Never!
It’s the regular and quite frankly childish Nigerian argument “If you don’t like something then where is your own?”

Please point me in the direction of the law that states, “If you don’t like certain art you must make yours and make it better?”. One does not have to, and again to show your lack of knowledge about me, how come you are not aware that in various threads when people have attacked others for not liking A, B or C with the regular “where is your own” I’ve always said ‘they don’t have to make anything, they are audience members’? Ikamenze, it’s ridiculous for you to say I’m here ‘forming chairman’ or playing King of the Internet… please do feel free to bring out any posts where I’ve said that to you.

You say “We need to start telling our story WELL.” If that’s what you want to do then feel free, I’m not stopping you. Or is your annoyance about me once having dissected a script of yours? I don’t know you, I don’t know what you do or what you’re not doing and it’s simply none of my business and neither will I attack you for that. Fine, you have an issue with me having a bit of knowledge and being on Nairaland… I’m no threat to whatever plans you have, as said before feel free to do your thing. But doesn’t that beg the question “What are YOU doing on Nairaland?”. Don’t answer that because no one has the right to question that.

10 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 10:20am On Aug 11, 2014
@villageboi...Thanks for your post.

@Ikamenze...Bro, your post was eye-opening (along with what speedyboi wrote) but the end was a let-down. You can 'correct' people and drive home your point without making people feel you're 'attacking' them (I assume that's not your intent).

Like my script thread, many of your corrections were valid but I had to sound 'silly' in my response 'cos I felt you were 'attacking my person'.

I'm just being truthful, not an attempt to defend a friend: Villageboi. If it was Villageboi too that did this, I would even take it personally and may spew invectives sef.

Learn to commmunicate without sounding nasty. Thanks. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Ikamenze(m): 10:24am On Aug 11, 2014
@villageboi...Bobo calm down..see as u just provoke...perhaps I was out of line with d whole chairman of d net thing...I'm sori okay....

No I don't see u as a threat..I actually find u quite inspiring...its ur honest criticism of my script years back dat made me seat up and tighten my belt....I appreciate dat..

So nor vex oo...I was simply expressing what I felt like at d tym.....we can still do dat can't we?

6 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 10:29am On Aug 11, 2014
sholay2011: @villageboi...Thanks for your post.

@Ikamenze...Bro, your post was eye-opening (along with what speedyboi wrote) but the end was a let-down. You can 'correct' people and drive home your point without making people feel you're 'attacking' them (I assume that's not your intent).

Like my script thread, many of your corrections were valid but I had to sound 'silly' in my response 'cos I felt you were 'attacking my person'.

I'm just being truthful, not an attempt to defend a friend: Villageboi. If it was Villageboi too that does this, I would even take it personally and may spew invectives sef.

Learn to commmunicate without sounding nasty. Thanks. smiley

Thanks Sholay, none of us are perfect, we all do make mistakes and we sometimes say things we shouldnt... but hey we're human. Ikamenze does post quite a bit of pretty good stuff but he also resorts to slightly personal attacks in various threads. As you said, it might not be his intention hence me not seriously going one off on him. But there are other ways to vent opinions without making it that personal. I'm no saint, never have claimed to be, I used to be a bit rough around the edges my early days here... to the extent in some threads now people say 'That's not you' - Even I have had to learn better ways of criticism and encouragement - at the end of the day I guess we all want the same goal.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 10:31am On Aug 11, 2014
Ikamenze: @villageboi...Bobo calm down..see as u just provoke...perhaps I was out of line with d whole chairman of d net thing...I'm sori okay....

No I don't see u as a threat..I actually find u quite inspiring...its ur honest criticism of my script years back dat made me seat up and tighten my belt....I appreciate dat..

So nor vex oo...I was simply expressing what I felt like at d tym.....we can still do dat can't we?

Hey no problem.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by sholay2011(m): 10:34am On Aug 11, 2014
VillageBoi:

Thanks Sholay, none of us are perfect, we all do make mistakes and we sometimes say things we shouldnt... but hey we're human. Ikamenze does post quite a bit of pretty good stuff but he also resorts to slightly personal attacks in various threads. As you said, it might not be his intention hence me not going off on him. But there are other ways to vent opinions without making it that personal. I'm no saint, never have claimed to be, I used to be a bit rough around the edges my early days here... to the extent in some threads now people say 'That's not you' - Even I have had to learn better ways of criticism and encouragement - at the end of the day I guess we all want the same goal.
Lol. Thank God you know you were not really 'nice' with your criticisms then when I first got here and I kinda had a hard time getting you. grin

Thanks to God, you don dey change tongue. Me too (didn't always take criticism well then, whether destructive or constructive) and that made our combination toxic. sad I think I'm improving sha. grin
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Silensa(m): 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2014
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Orikinla(m): 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2014
Not all Nollywood movies are craps.
See the list of the Best Nigerian Films in 2014 highlighted in the latest edition of the Nollywood Mirror Series.

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Abbey2sam(m): 8:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
and who cares about what south Africa thinks............ of all countries nah southafrica go criticise Nigeria
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by RoyalRoy(m): 8:16pm On Aug 13, 2014
:
Article by - Oris Aigbokhaevbolo

and you with all your space consuming name could not stand up for your country. I will never believe a South African Movie will ever make sense more than a Naija one with their poor diction and acting. They may be way ahead on soap operas and series but not in a regular movie.

And you sat there taking all the biased bashing and you still have the guts to come home and lament ? Shame on You.

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Simitrendy: 8:18pm On Aug 13, 2014
Aiit
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Toks2008(m): 8:21pm On Aug 13, 2014
Noted
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by nextstep(m): 8:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
The movie critique is missing two critical pieces:

1. We like our Nollywood. With all it's flaws, it is ours; it entertains, employs and sustains us. We've seen it improve over the years and there are now some movies that would rival some of the critiques' choices and even some of the movies that come out of Hollywood ("Last Flight to Abuja" and "The Meeting", come to mind)

2. Nollywood is not about making movies for western tastes. Can you imagine "Egusi with isi ewu and stock fish" winning culinary awards in an event dominated by French judges? But shall we then insult our food for not being a critique's choice? Mba nu.

They can take their awards. We'll keep our homegrown industry that employs us jare.

13 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Ghost01(m): 8:36pm On Aug 13, 2014
Who cares what masquerade dances at one festival in Durban? Iya Mulikat, abeg do quick carry my milk & maltina come jare, I no go tey sleep tonight. Oogun eje buruku!

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by PhumiTJ(f): 8:40pm On Aug 13, 2014
great article...excellent writing. not too biased. not too judgemental ..d only tin left is for nollywood to finally open its eyes and make quality movies and stop touting DAT third largest industry BS.

make dis an industry we are proud of....

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 13, 2014
And this is exactly how we keep celebrating mediocrity... Useless Nollywood movies, hian undecided . Nigerians, always want to involve the west in all their stupidity since 1884.

Tell the truth as it should be, Nollywood is crap, simple. Make una nor dey con paint am white with those stupid "keeping our culture" gimmicks.

9 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by anonimi: 8:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
Genevieve Nnaji said something similar about the need to up our game in Nollywood and was criticized by many on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1800723/movie-director-blasts-genevieve-nnaji

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by PhumiTJ(f): 8:46pm On Aug 13, 2014
safarigirl: A thousand gbosas to speedyboi for that awesome post abeg.

SA movies are extremely boring cuz they only shoot what Westerners like. No originality at all, nothing hip and fun. All their movies are either based on apartheid, drug abuse or some other shitty problem people would rather forget.

They're little pawns, the Western worl isn't interested in a civilized Africa, they only love watching woe-unto-I movies like Mandela, war and propaganda movies like that nonsensically boring Black Gold and ridiculous movies like Mr. Bones.

In fact, Osuofia in London was so famous cuz it depicted an impossibly uncivilized African in the Western World, which is exactly what they want to see

I could kiss you for dis excellent post smiley
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by PhumiTJ(f): 8:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.

seriously I could kiss you for this... smiley wink
+2000 likes

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by TonySpike: 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2014
What is missing in nollywood is to ability to fuse thought provoking storylines with logical and intellectually organised plots. As long as we keep on producing mediocre and sick movies like "Akpan goes to school", "skelewu babes", "blackberry babes" e.t.c, we are not going to develop our film industry.

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2014
Nollywood is crap alryt.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by room089: 9:03pm On Aug 13, 2014
dejahvu: Lagos monopoly is the Bane of creativity in the nigerian entertainment industry

So on point!

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by NellyGhenghen(m): 9:08pm On Aug 13, 2014
What is all this garbage? undecided last time i checked, Nollywood movies were the most viewed movies in Africa, In different languages, some even go to the extent of making funnY subtitles just to understand our movies. From the west to the east to the south, yes even the bitter anti-nigerian ungrateful south africans watch our movies, and even abroad everyone knows mr ibu, osuofia, aki and paw paw, genevieve etc how many south african movie actors do we know? Nigeria is the home of African entertainment AND the whiteman bottom licking south Africans are not content, so what did you expect from A South African movie festival hosted on South African soil? mtchee proper garbage! on the next topic. undecided And OP or whoever wrote this article, you deserve to have your passport ceased! sitting there like a box of fufu, listening to garbage from south africans and coming to tell us rubbish, you might aswell move there. Nollywood movies are the best in Africa thumbs to Naija and Ghana.

6 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Orina(m): 9:16pm On Aug 13, 2014
speedyboi: What's this about exactly? Durban film festival.... What's that? Nollywood films screen in much bigger festivals, who cares what South Africans think? They've always been anti-Nigeria, so to hell.

And we Nigerians; in our eyes (in all aspects of life), every kid is the best in the world, except ours. Who've bothered to know what's going on in SA film industry right now? Or what South Africans actually think about their films?

Talk of consistency, why didn't they keep winning oscars after Totsi? Talk about the Oscar sef, They won Oscar once and so effing what?!!! That's 10 years ago, get over it already! Look around, nothing really changed after Totsi.

Not one single Bollywood film has ever won an Oscar, yet Indians are not killing themselves over it. They are not using Oscar to measure their success, infact they don't care about it! Yet, everyone around the world will pick bollywood then take many many steps before even thinking of recognizing our almighty Oscar winning SA industry.

Bottomline is; i don't envy SA cinema! I don't wish Nollywood to be in its shoes. I don't want Nollywood to start making propanga-ridden western stereotypical films, just to attract western audience. That's what SA is doing and most South Africans bash their filmmakers for that and more. Most even use Nigeria as an example for their filmmakers. I don't want an industry without self esteem. I don't care if we keep producing crap, as long as we don't loose ourselves or start making some "shitty Tarzan-like" films. I'm comfortable with Nollywood depicting the typical Nigerian world and i even want them to up that "hip" style, a big NO to some "pity party" films! No way!

I'm sure the day Bollywood will start getting Oscar is when they start making "slum dog nonsense" kinda films where they'll depict some indians struggling to make it. That's the Oscar spirit; if it ain't hollywood, then don't depict a civilized citylife of your country, else no Oscar for you. What they want are films with strong "messages". You know what the message is wink.

you know wetin?? I love YOU!!
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by ghostofsparta(m): 9:19pm On Aug 13, 2014
“is it not better to produce nothing than to produce crap?”

TRUE TALK
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Lordlexyy: 9:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
safarigirl: A thousand gbosas to speedyboi for that awesome post abeg.

SA movies are extremely boring cuz they only shoot what Westerners like. No originality at all, nothing hip and fun. All their movies are either based on apartheid, drug abuse or some other shitty problem people would rather forget.

They're little pawns, the Western worl isn't interested in a civilized Africa, they only love watching woe-unto-I movies like Mandela, war and propaganda movies like that nonsensically boring Black Gold and ridiculous movies like Mr. Bones.

In fact, Osuofia in London was so famous cuz it depicted an impossibly uncivilized African in the Western World, which is exactly what they want to see
Yeah right, and you think we should keep acting stupidly just for some worthless recognition abi? We must be original, that i agree, but producing crap like the one you mentioned to satisfy the white man's curiosity is an insult to our pride. Nolly wood remain a bag of gabbage that have no space when true movie premier or festivals are mentioned. The unprofessionality and quality depicts the sorry state of things here, the unseriousness and the pechant for gains rather than quality. Comparing south African movie production and Nolly wood is like comparing heaven and earth.

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by UrbanMystique: 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2014

i give this post double thumbs up.. although they ned to put in more money for quality production but they should never westernize storyline cos of one stup.id oscar.

btw... i quote everything for reference cool

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by mencade5(m): 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
God forbid bad thing. All the films in my laptop are american and indian films.
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Amya(f): 9:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
I do believe our entertainment industry is growing. We'll eventually get their at this pace.

The basic problem I think the industry is facing is funding. That's why we produce really brilliant romantic comedies that are cheaper to produce rather than action movies.

Our actors are completely amazing and would compete on an international platform any day if there is enough funding and the right infrastructure available to the industry. I hear the average budget to produce the typical Nigerian movie is N5Millon. With that ridiculously low amount they even try to make something watchable. Imagine if the average movie is now made between N50M-N100M we'll rule then.

In other news, my only problem with Nigerian movies is their love for cliches. It never ends with this people. This makes movies predictable and less interesting to watch.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
You deserve a hug for this your post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NBC Releases List Of Media Houses That Breached Broadcasting Code / Top 7 Interesting Korean Historical Dramas / What's That Movie You Watch 3 Times But You Still Feel Like Watching It Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.