Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,734 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest (25049 Views)

Durban Invites All Short Filmmmakers To Submit Entries For 6th Talent Campus / Viewing Nigerian Tv Stations Is Like A Nightmare / The Durban Youth In Film Society Presents The Durban Short Film Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by iamord(m): 11:33am On Aug 23, 2014
Let me say. Majority of the directors in the industry . Have little idea on the art. Of cinematography. Producers by trade. Even some of the graphic that they use I wonder if the person that did it used microsoft word on windows 98 The industry is just good in making Mouth. But nevertheless I long for the day we will see quality african stories springing up
Re: Nollywood Nightmare At Durban Int Film Fest by VillageBoi(m): 4:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
Really good posts from Obi1kenobi, is the industry 'trying'? Yes. However, you are completely right in that the industry is more about quantity than quality -
Obi1kenobi: Flooding the market with poor quality films is nothing to brag about but Nigerians believe it's something to brag about.

I guess the main issue is 99% of the people in the industry are in it first and foremost for a quick buck. But then again how easy is it to be in this for the 'art' - especially in a place like Nigeria - I guess pretty difficult.

Obi1kenobi: Finding a way to really communicate with the audience to experience things from a different, original vantage point...
Aspire to produce more ambitious projects discussing more serious issues that stimulate an adult mind - I don't need you producing movies with a children's "tales by moonlight" moral or religious lesson at the end. We aren't kids.
Very true but how much thought do we put into things? How willing are we to 'think outside the box'? Especially when the bulk of people are interested in 'celebritydom'.

Obi1kenobi: The greatest problem of the Nigerian film industry is the total lack of organization and the lack of professionalism to truly set the industry apart from the marketers and traders that run the industry...
Or the actors who only see the industry as a meal-ticket - often because they have nothing else to do with their lives...
They don't live for the passion of producing something truly brilliant and original...
Straight up. And as has been said so many times Nigerians HATE to hear the 'truth' if it isn't praising the mediocrity that exists in almost EVERYTHING we do.

We all talk dedication and passion but how many are 'really' ready or truly willing to put in the work?

Obi1kenobi: It's a shame the best African movies have to be shot by foreigners. Or South Africans. Movies like Hotel Rwanda or Sarafina tell the stories that Nollywood are incapable of telling. The few attempts at such things I've seen have been highly underwhelming.
Yes it is a big shame and the 'few' attempts, as you rightly mentioned, have been very underwhelming. I've said it in a million threads and I won't deny it... our industry has a huge issue with LAZINESS.

I'll post a couple of clips or so to do with the film 'Boyhood' by Richard Linklater - he made the film over 12yrs by shooting a bit at a time. Now that is dedication. People take note - I am not for one second saying we should be doing this - I am posting it as an example for arguments sake. How someone can take a seemingly impossible idea and THINK hard enough to find a solution.

Boyhood - Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0oX0xiwOv8

An interview with the director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-selLiYt94

Will things in the industry get better and better? I have no doubt that they will. If any of you have the chance please do go to this thread on the film 'A Place In The Stars' by Steve Gukas. I don't know much about it but it looks promising.
https://www.nairaland.com/1870221/place-stars-trailer

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: Housemates Nominated For Possible Eviction On Sunday / Profile Of Chichi, Bbnaija Season 7 Housemate / Big Brother Naija Vs Gulder Ultimate Search; Which Is More Interesting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.