Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! (19416 Views)

Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks / The Best Peppery Jollof Rice Recipe / Coconut Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
Bought a couple of coconuts on the way home yesterday! I was really excited about them, so I decided to make coconut rice! smiley

(Amateur food photographer, here. Don't tease me embarassed)

This morning, I had a glass of the fresh coconut milk I made last night. Sooo good.

The thicker milk from the first straining, I used for the rice. The more diluted second and third straining, I kept aside to drink.

Ok, so the recipe. I tried this one from Kauna Kitchen.com

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups of rice
• 2 cups of fresh coconut milk
• 1 cup of chicken or beef stock
• 2 tablespoons of dry ground crayfish
• 1/2 an onion (finely diced)
• 2 tablespoons of vegetable/canola oil
• 2 seasoning cubes (knorr or maggi)
• Salt, to taste
• 1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper/atarodo
• Dried meat/fish (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Wash rice thoroughly and then parboil for 10 minutes. After parboiling the rice, wash it with some cold water; drain and set aside.

2. On medium heat, heat the oil in a medium sized pot; then add the diced onions and pepper. Saute the onions and pepper for about 2 minutes (the onions should still retain their colour and not turn brown).

3. Add the beef or chicken stock, coconut milk, crayfish, dried meat/fish, and seasoning cubes to the sauteed onions and pepper and bring to a boil.

4. Once the sauce starts boiling, add the parboiled rice; cover the pot and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is well cooked. (Check your rice occasionally to ensure it does not burn)

5. Serve with any side dish and meat of your choice.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

(I served with fried plantain and homemade fruit juice. I remembered to put meat this time embarassed)

My mom really liked it. My dad, who never gives undeserved praise for food, gave me a thumbs up, LOL.

So, Nairaland, what's your coconut rice recipe?

22 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by cancaworm: 7:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
Wow. Nice one.

3 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 8:45pm On Aug 05, 2014
I just used some of my coconut milk to soak garri cheesy

It's really good!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to put it in my milo cheesy cheesy cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 05, 2014
I tried coconut rice once, but added Tomate . The Tomate sauce just killed the taste. I will try this your recipe later. .

I like the way you detailed it too .
Bravo Meiya

2 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
cancaworm: Wow. Nice one.
Thank youuu

Chillisauce: I tried coconut rice once, but added Tomate . The Tomate sauce just killed the taste. I will try this your recipe later. .
I like the way you detailed it too .
Bravo Meiya
Yeah, I think the coconut flavor is kind of delicate? That's why I think fresh coconut milk is best, and THICK coconut milk, with little to no other oils involved

Thank you smiley
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
MissMeiya:
Thank youuu

Yeah, I think the coconut flavor is kind of delicate? That's why I think fresh coconut milk is best, and THICK coconut milk, with little to no other oils involved

Thank you smiley

I dont have strength for that fresh one. The already processed one will do abeg. cheesy it should taste same.

But I don't just like the white color . What doyou suggest to make it a little red. Not Palm oil pls

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 11:35pm On Aug 05, 2014
Chillisauce:

I dont have strength for that fresh one. The already processed one will do abeg. cheesy it should taste same.

But I don't just like the white color . What doyou suggest to make it a little red. Not Palm oil pls

Ok, mine came out yellow tinted because of the meat stock... If you wanted it to be redder, maybe you could try some paprika? I think that wouldn't interfere too much with the flavor

3 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 6:00am On Aug 06, 2014
looks gud. cheesy

made something similar before...just plain coconut rice, i added crayfish n other things too, but i added 2 much water so i didn't taste much of the coconut milk. i've also made jamaican rice n peas (it requires coconut milk) and nigerian jollof rice with coconut milk. these two came out gud. funny, i bought coconut milk today! thinking of making coconut jollof rice with it. haven't made it in a while, shud b interesting shocked

3 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by mamachops(f): 8:44am On Aug 06, 2014
here is mine....though I love the feel of crayfish, dryfish and possibly prawn in it..... over all its almost same recipe as yours...

Yea, sometimes I add vegetables like carrot and peas.

welldone op...ilove the way you served it.

4 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 06, 2014
Looks yum!

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by kabasa77(m): 9:56am On Aug 07, 2014
@ op please did blend the coco nut or grating? Want to try this.. Thanks
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 07, 2014
kabasa77: @ op please did blend the coco nut or grating? Want to try this.. Thanks

I removed the flesh from the shell with a small knife and blended it with 2 cups of water. Then I strained the milk from the chaff--this milk is the one I used for the rice.

I added 2 cups of water to the chaff and blended it again, and strained it, added 2 cups of water to the chaff again, blended and strained it--this milk, I kept aside to drink, used for garri soaking (tastes so good!), used in my milo, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Roland17(m): 1:59am On Aug 09, 2014
I sieved the milk from the chaff once after blending (the temptation to eat a sizable portion of the coconut was immense, but God pass that coconut sha) thus my coconut rice came out very tasty, I added tons of chopped green, red and yellow bell pepper not forgetting chopped tomatoes and onions. I used minced beef and some fried chicken..

It was awesome..

5 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 09, 2014
Roland17: I sieved the milk from the chaff once after blending (the temptation to eat a sizable portion of the coconut was immense, but God pass that coconut sha) thus my coconut rice came out very tasty, I added tons of chopped green, red and yellow bell pepper not forgetting chopped tomatoes and onions. I used minced beef and some fried chicken..

It was awesome..

Yayyyy! That looks so good!!!
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 09, 2014
kiss
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by ceo4eva: 4:27am On Aug 10, 2014
This must be a delicious delicacy.
Will give it a try!
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by freshness2020: 4:31am On Aug 10, 2014
Great recipe..
Africa my Africa!

4 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by gbaskiboy: 4:32am On Aug 10, 2014
Am allergic to coconut don't think I'll savour the food
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Originalsly: 4:55am On Aug 10, 2014
Op....you make me laugh!.....fresh coconutmilk from last night!....and couldn't you find something smaller to break the coconut instead of that cow killing axe?....and in pix 3...is that a mini hammer resting in the rice?? Very good for a first timer....at least your family enjoyed it. When I try I would be very happy if my dog swallow a mouthful...and I wouldn't care a damn if he brings it all up after! Next time try adding more fresh seasonings to spice up the food. To extract more milk from the coconut I suggest you grate it...add a little water and squeeze it over a strainer.More juice can be extracted from grated rather than blended coconut. Off I got to get my axe to.....

3 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 5:13am On Aug 10, 2014

Is this chicken or chekeleke or what? Why is it looking so anorexic

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by hensben(m): 5:17am On Aug 10, 2014
All these bird food..nah
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by sunnywhyt(m): 5:22am On Aug 10, 2014
Copied
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by GentleMimi: 5:23am On Aug 10, 2014
Yippppppeeeeeeeeeee!
I can always be trusted to be found on a food thread like this...lol! And one of my favourite dishes too. Iyanmmmi!
i'll give u guys some sacred tips i adopted from my neighbour in Uyo.
If u really want the taste of the coconut,keep a little portion of the concentrated milk u sieved aside. What i mean is,after grating,do not add water. Squeeze out the natural milk...very little will do. (It depends on the amount of coconut used in the first place). Then add water to the rest and sieve. The first milk is to be added when the rice is almost done. I sprinkle it and then add a little of my coconut milk powder. The coconut taste can never be doubted!
Enjoy!
grin

3 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by cynhamscakes(f): 5:35am On Aug 10, 2014
Weldone op. I love the fact that your recipe excludes tomatoes. Tomatoes kills the taste of Coconut in coconut rice.

2 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Sarimah(f): 5:47am On Aug 10, 2014
Now i'm getting hungry sad
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by holyboss: 6:06am On Aug 10, 2014
So what now? U wan giv us chop undecided

I can't bliv I saw this on frntPage
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by dejt4u(m): 6:14am On Aug 10, 2014
All this one na long thing.. Dnt you remember the style of OKAFOR, the int'l steward.. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by condralbede(m): 6:16am On Aug 10, 2014
How I wish I can cook this......now I miss home!tnx op

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by kevoh(m): 6:39am On Aug 10, 2014
Originalsly: To extract more milk from the coconut I suggest you grate it...add a little water and squeeze it over a strainer.More juice can be extracted from grated rather than blended coconut.

Thanks. I was about to ask how you guys manage to extract the 'milk'.
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by emmabest2000(m): 6:53am On Aug 10, 2014
MissMeiya: Bought a couple of coconuts on the way home yesterday! I was really excited about them, so I decided to make coconut rice! smiley

(Amateur food photographer, here. Don't tease me embarassed)

This morning, I had a glass of the fresh coconut milk I made last night. Sooo good.

The thicker milk from the first straining, I used for the rice. The more diluted second and third straining, I kept aside to drink.

Ok, so the recipe. I tried this one from Kauna Kitchen.com

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups of rice
• 2 cups of fresh coconut milk
• 1 cup of chicken or beef stock
• 2 tablespoons of dry ground crayfish
• 1/2 an onion (finely diced)
• 2 tablespoons of vegetable/canola oil
• 2 seasoning cubes (knorr or maggi)
• Salt, to taste
• 1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper/atarodo
• Dried meat/fish (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Wash rice thoroughly and then parboil for 10 minutes. After parboiling the rice, wash it with some cold water; drain and set aside.

2. On medium heat, heat the oil in a medium sized pot; then add the diced onions and pepper. Saute the onions and pepper for about 2 minutes (the onions should still retain their colour and not turn brown).

3. Add the beef or chicken stock, coconut milk, crayfish, dried meat/fish, and seasoning cubes to the sauteed onions and pepper and bring to a boil.

4. Once the sauce starts boiling, add the parboiled rice; cover the pot and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is well cooked. (Check your rice occasionally to ensure it does not burn)

5. Serve with any side dish and meat of your choice.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

(I served with fried plantain and homemade fruit juice. I remembered to put meat this time embarassed)

My mom really liked it. My dad, who never gives undeserved praise for food, gave me a thumbs up, LOL.

So, Nairaland, what's your coconut rice recipe?
looks delicious sha ...

2 Likes

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Youngzedd(m): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2014
Subscribing

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by NaLaugh: 7:07am On Aug 10, 2014
cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Let's Do The #SoupChallenge / How To Make Yam Balls / "Poisonous" Jack And Jill Biscuits Message Is A Hoax

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.