Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Coconut Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Coconut Rice (9066 Views)

How To Cook Nigeria Hot Coconut Rice / Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! / Help With Coconut Rice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coconut Rice by jaysworld(f): 12:17pm On Nov 15, 2007
Does anyone here know how to prepare cococnut rice?pls i need your assistance.
Re: Coconut Rice by omoge(f): 5:17pm On Nov 15, 2007
2 coconuts
3cups of rice
pepper
onion
maggi
salt

--Break your coconut and remove the shell.
--Cut coconut into sizable piece, pour into blender, add water and blend till smooth
--sieve (to get juice) throw away the chaff
--pour coconut juice into your pot, add slice onion and pepper (only if you like pepper) and bring to boil
--add your rice, maggi and salt to taste
--reduce heat and cook till rice is soft

you are ready for wacking  grin

Note: sometimes i use Ata rodo pepper, slice tomatoes (atimes i blend my tomatoe and onion and pour into the coconut juice). coconut rice is also good without tomato and pepper
for plain coconut rice, i don't use tomato.
Try each way (plain or orishirishi added) and see the one you like. Happy eating. Now you made me hungry of coconut rice the more  grin
Re: Coconut Rice by jaysworld(f): 9:37am On Nov 16, 2007
Thanks a great deal Omoge.thats kinda simole.thought it was gonna be some task.you are da bomb. wink smiley lipsrsealed embarassed[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Coconut Rice by Tsz: 1:26pm On Nov 19, 2007
It looks a little bit strange embarassed,

Just wt i think ya tongue
Re: Coconut Rice by akeye(f): 2:27pm On Nov 19, 2007
yummy
Re: Coconut Rice by omoge(f): 4:43pm On Nov 19, 2007
so what is strange about using Coconut Juice to cook rice?

it's like you use water to cook rice (coconut juice just replace your water).

now explain what's strange about it. i have seen people eating Oyster raw with coconut juice.

Tsz:

It looks a little bit strange embarassed,

Just wt i think ya tongue

food is a gift appreciate it omo  cheesy

@Jaysworld, you are welcome. Yes it is simple wink
Re: Coconut Rice by Tsz: 8:11am On Nov 20, 2007
I haven't try it yet,

But I think the taste of ' Mixed coconout juice and rice' will be quite stange.

It's because the coconout juice is sweet,

Maybe it is my problem. smiley

Um,,,,I will try it in my spare time!

By the way, I think the recipe is quite novel! grin

Thank you!
Re: Coconut Rice by omoge(f): 4:05pm On Nov 20, 2007
haven't you heard of people using sugar to cook their soup, rice, noodles? Yes i have seen people pouring sugar into their stews.

coconut/coconut juice can be used in making different things. there are coconut pie and coconut soup etc if you go to the South like New Orleans. The juice isn't that sweet mind you. Nothing sweet as in sugary taste in coconut rice. a trial will convince you.
Cheers.
Re: Coconut Rice by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 20, 2007
@Omoge

Nice Job. . and thanks for adding up to the method of cooking cRice. . .

sieve (to get juice) throw away the chaff

Nope! I beg to differ here, the chaff can be verrry useful and tasty. . . just add some sugar, mix well and pour into your pan. . . allow to heat dry till brownish in colour. . .here come a good appetiser. . . tongue  grin

Actually I don't throw mine away wink, I love to use the chaff as well. . . cool
Re: Coconut Rice by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 20, 2007
omoge or anyone else,have you people used coconut milk in cans to cook coconut rice?
tried it once it was a disaster!!
didn't know whether to eat the coconut rice with cutlery or roll it into a bolus like foo foo using my bare hands grin
what did I do wrong?
Re: Coconut Rice by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 20, 2007
nwando:

omoge or anyone else,have you people used coconut milk in cans to cook coconut rice?
didn't know whether to eat the coconut rice with cutlery or roll it into a bolus like foo foo using my bare hand grin
what did I do wrong?

I haven't tried it yet, @Nwando, you could be very funny atimes  grin  thank you for making me laugh each time i read through your posts.  grin

funny you.
Re: Coconut Rice by omoge(f): 6:57pm On Nov 20, 2007
Nwando, grin grin *laughing*

i have seen it but haven't tried it because I don't know how many years it has been there  grin.
anyway sha, I just like doing things like we do it at home  wink. . . go backyard and break my coconut  cheesy. because of working the coconut from scratch, i make coconut rice once in a while.

OlowoTee, i tried that chaff kini and sugar once. I didn't like it. not tasty because no more juice in there.
so my chaff always ends up in the trash.
Re: Coconut Rice by omoge25(f): 8:22am On Nov 26, 2007
@nwando
sorry it didnt work for you but we use the can coconut milk to cook rice, and it never comes out mushy. We add one can of coconut milk into our tomato/pepper mixture. so when it cooks the rice has a red color to it, just like jollof. You might be adding too much, we just use 1 Goya can for a whole pot of rice.
Re: Coconut Rice by cuteNhot(f): 6:05pm On Dec 14, 2007
omoge:

2 coconuts
3cups of rice
pepper
onion
maggi
salt

--Break your coconut and remove the shell.
--Cut coconut into sizable piece, pour into blender, add water and blend till smooth
--sieve (to get juice) throw away the chaff
--pour coconut juice into your pot, add slice onion and pepper (only if you like pepper) and bring to boil
--add your rice, maggi and salt to taste
--reduce heat and cook till rice is soft

you are ready for wacking grin

Note: sometimes i use Ata rodo pepper, slice tomatoes (atimes i blend my tomatoe and onion and pour into the coconut juice). coconut rice is also good without tomato and pepper
for plain coconut rice, i don't use tomato.
Try each way (plain or orishirishi added) and see the one you like. Happy eating. Now you made me hungry of coconut rice the more grin
with so much coconuts the rice is bound to be oily.
better yet, bring to boil the one nut(after blending and extracting the juice), ADD sprigs of thyme, eskellion and pepper.
when the juice begin to curd and the smell of the condiments begin to raft in the air add the rice. allow to simmer and cook.
Re: Coconut Rice by cuteNhot(f): 6:08pm On Dec 14, 2007
nwando:

didn't know whether to eat the coconut rice with cutlery or roll it into a bolus like foo foo using my bare hands grin
what did I do wrong?
too much coconut milk. you needed to have diluted the milk.
Re: Coconut Rice by omoge(f): 6:09pm On Dec 14, 2007
eh madam, just post your own recipe, thank you undecided
Re: Coconut Rice by GurlyGirlO(f): 6:01pm On May 05, 2008
I made Omoge's recipe with 2 cups rice, 1 cup canned coconut milk, 3 cups water and the other ingredients. It came out yummy. Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Fabulous Fresh Foods: Yoghurt And Parfait / Quick Easy Recipe On How To Make Sweet Donuts / Share Your Worst Eating-out Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.