Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! (19417 Views)

Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks / The Best Peppery Jollof Rice Recipe / Coconut Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by mejai(m): 7:09am On Aug 10, 2014
With diced green pepper is good also. Biko OP, what is that AXE for kwanu? grin
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 10, 2014
Well I do grate mine. But it's pretty stressful. Well Coconut rice is usually sweet! It makes you want to eat more even if you're filled up

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by giles14(m): 7:20am On Aug 10, 2014
MissMeiya: Bought a couple of coconuts on the way home yesterday! I was really excited about them, so I decided to make coconut rice! smiley

(Amateur food photographer, here. Don't tease me embarassed)

This morning, I had a glass of the fresh coconut milk I made last night. Sooo good.

The thicker milk from the first straining, I used for the rice. The more diluted second and third straining, I kept aside to drink.

Ok, so the recipe. I tried this one from Kauna Kitchen.com

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups of rice
• 2 cups of fresh coconut milk
• 1 cup of chicken or beef stock
• 2 tablespoons of dry ground crayfish
• 1/2 an onion (finely diced)
• 2 tablespoons of vegetable/canola oil
• 2 seasoning cubes (knorr or maggi)
• Salt, to taste
• 1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper/atarodo
• Dried meat/fish (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Wash rice thoroughly and then parboil for 10 minutes. After parboiling the rice, wash it with some cold water; drain and set aside.

2. On medium heat, heat the oil in a medium sized pot; then add the diced onions and pepper. Saute the onions and pepper for about 2 minutes (the onions should still retain their colour and not turn brown).

3. Add the beef or chicken stock, coconut milk, crayfish, dried meat/fish, and seasoning cubes to the sauteed onions and pepper and bring to a boil.

4. Once the sauce starts boiling, add the parboiled rice; cover the pot and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is well cooked. (Check your rice occasionally to ensure it does not burn)

5. Serve with any side dish and meat of your choice.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

(I served with fried plantain and homemade fruit juice. I remembered to put meat this time embarassed)

My mom really liked it. My dad, who never gives undeserved praise for food, gave me a thumbs up, LOL.

So, Nairaland, what's your coconut rice recipe?
u try .well me I do garnish it with carrots green peppers and den with green peas or beans

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by zurine(f): 7:49am On Aug 10, 2014
well don op

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 10, 2014
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:57am On Aug 10, 2014
My mum insists on always using the smallest holed grater in the kitchen for the coconut. Last year, when I vexed and used a bigger grater, she shouted that the milk won't come out, that I've spoiled it. And made me pound the grated coconut till it was smaller.

I really hate coconut rice. But I'll try that trick of keeping undilute coconut milk to add once the rice is boiled.
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by sisiafrika(f): 7:59am On Aug 10, 2014
MissMeiya: I just used some of my coconut milk to soak garri cheesy

It's really good!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to put it in my milo cheesy cheesy cheesy
honeypie, wat did GSKing did to u?
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 10, 2014
sisiafrika: honeypie, wat did GSKing did to u?

cheesy Nothing o! Just pointed some things out to me embarassed

She didn't mean to, but she gave me a reality check ♡

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 10, 2014
GentleMimi: Yippppppeeeeeeeeeee!
I can always be trusted to be found on a food thread like this...lol! And one of my favourite dishes too. Iyanmmmi!
i'll give u guys some sacred tips i adopted from my neighbour in Uyo.
If u really want the taste of the coconut,keep a little portion of the concentrated milk u sieved aside. What i mean is,after grating,do not add water. Squeeze out the natural milk...very little will do. (It depends on the amount of coconut used in the first place). Then add water to the rest and sieve. The first milk is to be added when the rice is almost done. I sprinkle it and then add a little of my coconut milk powder. The coconut taste can never be doubted!
Enjoy!
grin

Yes!!! My dear, you know I've been waiting for you! grin

And of course, you never fail to deliver, as usual! Great tip!
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 10, 2014
How does it taste like?
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by ibdeals1(m): 8:38am On Aug 10, 2014
yumy
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by BlackBaron: 8:56am On Aug 10, 2014
I normally do the coconut white rice.

But always comes out a bit soggy...any tips?
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 10, 2014
BlackBaron: I normally do the coconut white rice.

But always comes out a bit soggy...any tips?

It sounds like you're using too much liquid to cook it. Or the rice is too "done" by the time you cook it in the seasoning liquid.

Make sure when you parboil your rice, it's only halfway done, then WASH IT IN COLD WATER to stop the cooking process. Hot rice will continue to cook, even after it has left the fire.

When you are cooking it in the seasoning liquid, make sure you only use enough liquid that will finishing cooking it. Look at the amounts in the recipe for an idea of the correct proportion of rice to liquid.

If you accidentally find yourself with fully cooked rice still sitting in liquid, you can:

• (If there's a lot of liquid) Drain the rice as much as you can
• Uncover the pot and turn up the heat to try and dry up the rice. Watch the rice carefully so it doesn't burn!!

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Revolva(m): 9:21am On Aug 10, 2014
I can sell my birth right for a plate of coconut rice...i swear
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by assana: 10:10am On Aug 10, 2014
Menhhhhh looks kool sha,buh trust me u can't beat my coconut rice,just love the rice grin
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by ajetunde: 10:37am On Aug 10, 2014
Op, how much is your bride price? And please also send your dad's account number for me to pay it.
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Feraz(m): 10:52am On Aug 10, 2014
MissMeiya, you have come again! Making me hungry this morning!! angryangryangryangry

From your write up, where you said add your chicken stock, is it that the chicken is to be cooked alongside the rice? Then again, is water supposed to be added or is it just the extracted milk that one is to use to make the rice done? Also, isn't the brown part of the coconut supposed to change the colour of the milk?

E be like say the work dey for extracting the milk.

The last I ate coconut rice was about 8/9 years ago...so don't mind me.
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Lolaabokoku(f): 11:21am On Aug 10, 2014
Yummy grin
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by kuderrich: 11:29am On Aug 10, 2014
dejt4u: All this one na long thing.. Dnt you remember the style of OKAFOR, the int'l steward.. grin grin grin grin grin
d surest and d quickest way 'okafor himself'
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by goldenvicky(f): 11:41am On Aug 10, 2014
Nyc
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by oleeee(m): 11:56am On Aug 10, 2014
OP will you marry me? i m inlove
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 10, 2014
Coconut sauce

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 10, 2014
uhhm. anyone else notice the axe?
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Divinehenrich(m): 1:36pm On Aug 10, 2014
2 cube of seasoning(maggi) isn't too much for only 2 cups of rice? I no sabi na learn I dey learn and na wetin make me dey ask
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 10, 2014
Feraz: MissMeiya, you have come again! Making me hungry this morning!! angryangryangryangry

From your write up, where you said add your chicken stock, is it that the chicken is to be cooked alongside the rice? Then again, is water supposed to be added or is it just the extracted milk that one is to use to make the rice done? Also, isn't the brown part of the coconut supposed to change the colour of the milk?

E be like say the work dey for extracting the milk.

The last I ate coconut rice was about 8/9 years ago...so don't mind me.

LOL! Feraz. How are you?

The stock is water from cooking meat.

My mother got me into the habit of cooking a lot of chicken in a biiig pot, and then drying the meat very well so it doesn't spoil. Then we cool the water with ice or in the refrigerator, and skim away the fat that floats to the top. That water, we then use for cooking various things, to add flavor (soups, stew, rice, etc). Same thing with the dried chicken.

But just cooking meat prior, and saving the water from the meat will do. Then add the COOKED meat to the liquid with the rice.

No water! Just coconut milk.

The brown part of the coconut (the skin) gets strained out of the milk.
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by J0nyb0y(m): 1:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
Nice one op. But please which is better., grating or blending? Cos grating seems tedious
And i guess you'l have to chop the coconut first before blending so as not to spoil the blades of the blender...

1 Like

Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
Divinehenrich: 2 cube of seasoning(maggi) isn't too much for only 2 cups of rice?

Rice expands when cooked. In the end, it was 6 cups of cooked rice.
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 10, 2014
J0nyb0y: Nice one op. But please which is better., grating or blending? Cos grating seems tedious
And i guess you'l have to chop the coconut first before blending so as not to spoil the blades of the blender...

People have suggested grating and squeezing, but I am with you, it sounds tedious. The coconut flavor from the rice I made was VERY pronounced, and I blended with 2 cups of water for 1 coconut, then strained. I even blended that same coconut twice more to make coconut milk for drinking, and the taste was still strong.

If you use a small knife to pluck the flesh from the coconut halves, you will get those pieces to blend.
Re: Coconut Rice Recipe!!!! by kabasa77(m): 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2014
cooked mine today..sorry no pictures..men full my house finish the full pot in less than 10 mins! Lol.. Thanks Op,i dey feel like superman as everybody just dey hail my cooking...its pretty straight forward..Please more.,and yea, blending its much easier,i tried grating, that na work...had to blend it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Make Yam Balls / Let's Do The #SoupChallenge / "Poisonous" Jack And Jill Biscuits Message Is A Hoax

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.