Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,130 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? (3920 Views)

Morality Demands A Moral Law Giver / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:22am On Aug 15, 2014
mazaje:

His bible is filled with mass murders like Moses, Joshua, Ezekiel, etc. . .These are the people he reveres. mass murderers and people that engage in annihilation of others. . .Fools like Oladegbuu do good because they are afraid. . .

Why don't you break the law of the land where you reside if you claim not to be afraid of the law?
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:25am On Aug 15, 2014
Redlyn:

Do you OP agree that rape is morally wrong in all cases? If so how do you know? Afterall it is endorsed in some passages.

Even atheists know that is wrong, the only reason he doesn't do it is because he fears the consequences of being caught. shocked

What passage endorses it?
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:27am On Aug 15, 2014
PastorAIO:

He won't understand what you are getting at here. He has lost the capability. He's literally given up the ability to make ethical and moral considerations for himself and it shows in his character.

Ouch! shocked
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:28am On Aug 15, 2014
1ord:

Pls save your preaching for your mugu congregation

Good advise. wink
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Weah96: 6:42am On Aug 15, 2014
Joshthefirst:

The only difference is that i have accepted someone elses's substitution and mercy and gained a new life, while you in your love for evil reject it and doggedly cling to meaningless foolishness.

This is a contradiction of an earlier statement made by you in this very thread. You said quite clearly that no one goes to hell for unbelief. Here you are now claiming that unbelief and evil are one and the same. In other words, if someone doesn't believe that an obscure Hebrew figure is the son of an invisible God, then that person must be driven by evil.

Fine, let's consider the case of our Muslims brothers and sisters.They have accepted Allah, who promises them everlasting life filled with all kinds of bountiful goodies. In return, they are to use their bodies as vessels of incessant worship and adoration. Complete submission.

Are you saying that righteous Muslims are going to heaven even though they do not accept Jesus as Lord and personal savior? They seem to pass your litmus test for entry. They have belief, Allah has promised to take care of them. They obey the ten commandments. They have fulfilled all your requirements, accept using their mouths to say a few magic words. Your God says he's going to roast them, next to me, maybe even side by side. You do believe this, do you not?

3 Likes

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Joshthefirst(m): 7:13am On Aug 15, 2014
Weah96:

This is a contradiction of an earlier statement made by you in this very thread. You said quite clearly that no one goes to hell for unbelief. Here you are now claiming that unbelief and evil are one and the same. In other words, if someone doesn't believe that an obscure Hebrew figure is the son of an invisible God, then that person must be driven by evil.
The bolded is a misinterpretation of my words. I do not know if it is deliberate though. Go back and read up what I've been saying. I'm tired of typing the same thing. It seems you're hard of hearing.

Weah96:
Fine, let's consider the case of our Muslims brothers and sisters.They have accepted Allah, who promises them everlasting life filled with all kinds of bountiful goodies. In return, they are to use their bodies as vessels of incessant worship and adoration. Complete submission.
They are being told a lie. An illogical lie for that matter, than only a few questions will expose. I am comissioned to tell them the truth.

Weah96:
Are you saying that righteous Muslims are going to heaven even though they do not accept Jesus as Lord and personal savior? They seem to pass your litmus test for entry.
There's no such thing as righteous muslims. And no one has ever passed the requirements for entry as no one has ever been righteous. We have all done a form of wrong or another. We are all guilty. Inspite of our 'goodworks', we still do bad everyday. This is the dilemma we're in, and this is the dilemma that God sent Jesus to solve. Trust in him releases mercy.

Its like being found guilty of committing a crime and telling a judge you've been doing good. No. a righteous judge will judge based on the crime youve commited. Your only hope is then to accept you're guilty, and obtain mercy. Mercy is provided because Jesus came and paid the fine on your behalf. He served your sentence, paid your punishment and offers you new life.

I will not repeat this again. It is after hearing this good news that a man who seeks salvation repents and trusts in Jesus and is saved. But a man who is drawn to evil spouts nonsense and tries to justify himself or rejects it because of his love for the poison that will drive him to hell.

Weah96:
They have belief, Allah has promised to take care of them. They obey the ten commandments. They have fulfilled all your requirements, accept using their mouths to say a few magic words. Your God says he's going to roast them, next to me, maybe even side by side. You do believe this, do you not?
Just 'belief' wont save any man.

And no. They do not obey the 10 commandments. No one has ever obeyed them. Everyone is guilty of that law. But some are saved from the repercussions, as I have already amply explained. Others reject salvation and bear the full weight of their unrighteousness in hell, as I have amply exolained. Unbelief in truth stems from evil in the heart you see. And the evil weight will cause you to sink down into the deep realms of eternal seperation from everything made good and holy by God.

And Yes. I do not know if its a literal roast, but you will be thrown into the realms of hell, maybe into deeper realms than they. If you continue in life and die as a guilty sinner.
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Joshthefirst(m): 7:22am On Aug 15, 2014
mazaje:

The wages of sin is death sis not the same as he who does not believe is condemned already. . .The bible is very clear on what it says in John 3:18. . . who ever believes in Jesus is not condemned is what it says, it then goes on to say that who ever does not believe in Jesus is condemned already because they refuse to believe in god's only son. .It clearly states the reason .That is pretty clear, i really do not know what you are on about. . .
Good. You choose not to know even after all I've been saying. You choose to cling to a verse you do not understand in your effort to justify your stuppid point of view. Suit yourself.
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Weah96: 8:06am On Aug 15, 2014
Joshthefirst:

And Yes. I do not know if its a literal roast, but you will be thrown into the realms of hell, maybe into deeper realms than they. If you continue in life and die as a guilty sinner.

But we are both sinners, you just recited some magic words, right? We're the same, except for the magic words. Right? I just want to get that part clear. Remember you're now saying again that choosing not to believe in Jesus doesn't mean that someone loves evil. You called that a misinterpretation of your words.

1 Like

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by cold(m): 10:30am On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

But you fear going to jail, don't you?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Either you like it or not both atheists and theist have the image of God that makes them do good, one fears the arm of the law while the other obeys God who has absolute morality.
You're contradicting yourself:
First you say it is the "image of god" (which, I don't know) that makes man "good," then in the same breath you say it's the fear of the arm of law that makes atheists "good", and obedience to god that makes theist "good". undecided

Furthermore, expounding on your "logic" that it is the image of god that makes man good, it follows logically that is the same "image of god" that makes man "evil" (immoral). smiley

3 Likes

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
cold:

Very rich coming from someone who considers Abraham his father. Someone who tried to kill his own son because of a voice in his head supposedly from his sky daddy. If the op consider such an act worthy of admiration and emulation,what could he possibly consider reprehensible?
Again,if all morality stems from god like ola would have us believe,where does god get his morality?

God has absolute morality. From Him flows morality. Check it out here if you will pass God's morality test ==> www.NeedGod.com
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by TheBigUrban2: 3:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

God has absolute morality. From Him flows morality. Check it out here if you will pass God's morality test ==> www.NeedGod.com

If God has absolute morality why did his absolute morality change from the old testament to the new testament?

An eye for an eye <> turn the other cheek
Death by stoning <> he without sin, cast the first stone

5 Likes

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Is God subject to moral laws? Or are those laws only applicable to humans?
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Weah96: 4:20pm On Aug 15, 2014
musKeeto:

Is it moral to seize the land belonging to a tribe and murder everyone including their women and children? God has ordered humans to conduct themselves like that on several occasions. Allah also gave his followers the exact same message btw, to murder you and your infidel children. Is that morality?
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
cold:

I don't follow religion I follow Jesus. smiley

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
Apatheist:

You're contradicting yourself:
First you say it is the "image of god" (which, I don't know) that makes man "good," then in the same breath you say it's the fear of the arm of law that makes atheists "good", and obedience to god that makes theist "good". undecided

Furthermore, expounding on your "logic" that it is the image of god that makes man good, it follows logically that is the same "image of god" that makes man "evil" (immoral). smiley

Take this test to see whether you are a good person or not. ==> www.NeedGod .com
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

If God has absolute morality why did his absolute morality change from the old testament to the new testament?

An eye for an eye <> turn the other cheek
Death by stoning <> he without sin, cast the first stone

His Moral Law remains constant. Check it out here to see whether you will pass the test. ==> www.NeedGod .com
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
musKeeto:

When I say God is the absolute morality from whom all morality flows that should answer your question. See whether you can meet up to God's moral standard. ==> www.NeedGod .com
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
Weah96:

Is it moral to seize the land belonging to a tribe and murder everyone including their women and children? God has ordered humans to conduct themselves like that on several occasions. Allah also gave his followers the exact same message btw, to murder you and your infidel children. Is that morality?

Is it moral for you to destroy your creation/invention that is no longer fit for purpose?
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Take this test to see whether you are a good person or not. ==> www.NeedGod.com
And you totally ignored the matter at hand. undecided

Now you are the adjudicator on matters concerning morality?! shocked
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
Apatheist:

And you totally ignored the matter at hand. undecided

Now you are the adjudicator on matters concerning morality?! shocked

The matter at hand is that you atheists should tell us what grounds apart from God you have for your morality, if you have any? undecided

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The matter at hand is that you atheists should tell us what grounds apart from God you have for your morality, if you have any? undecided
Morality is subjective.

I'll start a thread about it
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
Apatheist:

Morality is subjective.

To the atheist, morality is subjective and arbitrary.

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

To the atheist, morality is subjective and arbitrary.
Funny cartoon. smiley

Morality is subjective. smiley

what is morally good commanded by God because it is
morally good, or is it morally good because it is
commanded by God?"
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
Apatheist:

Funny cartoon. smiley

It sums up your fishy morality in a few words. grin

Apatheist:

Morality is subjective. smiley

Since some folks believe that it is right to kill unborn babies while others think there's no problem with killing people of other religions or ethnicities and some think it's OK to be racists. Tell me, whose position shall we follow if we are to be subjective in our moral code of conduct? Are you saying we are all right, shouldn't there be a line drawn in the sand somewhere?

Apatheist:

what is morally good commanded by God because it is
morally good, or is it morally good because it is
commanded by God?"

Absolute morality doesn't comport with atheism and that's why you say that morality is subjective. When push comes to shove, as one of the fishes depicted in the cartoon found out, you will realise that morality is not a personally subjective choice.
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by Weah96: 6:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Is it moral for you to destroy your creation/invention that is no longer fit for purpose?

Yes, and no. Laptops and old phones get discarded. But they are non living materials. And they're not kept in a basement somewhere being tortured.

But reasonable people will agree that if the inventor was omniscient and omnipotent during the process of invention then it becomes cruelty. It means that he not only anticipated his creation becoming obsolete (omniscience), but also had all the power to avert it (omnipotent). This is highly unlike the God who is described as loving and caring and all knowing.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by mazaje(m): 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2014

2 Likes

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by cold(m): 8:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

It sums up your fishy morality in a few words. grin

Since some folks believe that it is right to kill unborn babies while others think there's no problem with killing people of other religions or ethnicities and some think it's OK to be racists. Tell me, whose position shall we follow if we are to be subjective in our moral code of conduct? Are you saying we are all right, shouldn't there be a line drawn in the sand somewhere?
Absolute morality doesn't comport with atheism and that's why you say that morality is subjective. When push comes to shove, as one of the fishes depicted in the cartoon found out, you will realise that morality is not a personally subjective choice.
Look who's talking about killing babies. Seriously which god are you on about? The yahweh god or a different one? Your hypocrisy is unparalleled

2 Likes

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:59pm On Aug 15, 2014
Weah96:

Yes, and no. Laptops and old phones get discarded. But they are non living materials. And they're not kept in a basement somewhere being tortured.

How dare you discard old phones and laptops? You must be heartless. shocked What do you say to criminals who get imprisoned? That must be injustice don't you think? undecided

Weah96:

But reasonable people will agree that if the inventor was omniscient and omnipotent during the process of invention then it becomes cruelty. It means that he not only anticipated his creation becoming obsolete (omniscience), but also had all the power to avert it (omnipotent). This is highly unlike the God who is described as loving and caring and all knowing.

Reasonable people know that the Omniscient and Omnipotent God created Man in His own image and therefore are more than laptops and old phones. Man who is spirit who has a soul and living in a body has been created as a free moral agent and with that freedom comes responsibility. Since spirits cannot die physically they get imprisoned for the life time of the never dying God. God only wants those who will willingly worship Him in spirit and truth.
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
cold:

Look who's talking about killing babies. Seriously which god are you on about? The yahweh god or a different one? Your hypocrisy is unparalleled

God is the Creator and deserves the right to discard His creation as He sees fit. That does not give us the right to discard what we have not created. Abortion is murder because you have taken the life that you cannot create.

See what made these folks change their minds about abortion within seconds... www.the180movie.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2KsU_dhwI
Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by 1ord: 10:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Either you like it or not both atheists and theist have the image of God that makes them do good, one fears the arm of the law while the other obeys God who has absolute morality.
Nope it is not because one fears the arm of the law. It is the realization that if we were all red eyed cannibals their would be no progress in humanity and our chances of self accomplishment and attempts to further humanity will be futile and pointless. Further the chances of our survival in an organised and controlled situation is optimal. That is why atheists agnostics and deists seem to want to control religion. Because we have moved beyond it and it just seems to drag us as a species backwards. with a good enough lawyer and sufficient bribes i can find a loop hole within the law so fear of the law is not a good enough reason to give as why atheist do not kill. Its just that the stress and time spent can be spent immortalizing my name and receiving plaudits and awards. Hence atheist do not fear the law they respect and encourage it because it furthers their agenda and optimizes their chances of survival. Imagine what it would have been like been a free thinker in the stone ages with no laws. we would have been flayed for heresy for opening up the human body to find out how it works. Now you enjoy a long life due to the risk a free thinker took although many were flayed. We have taken the mantle upon ourselves to further humanity so they can become the Gods and determine the point of their existence not as an individual but as a unit. That is why we have problems with religion it creates an individual specific identity. Explaining this will take too much time. Hope i have cleared your doubts.

1 Like

Re: What Is Atheist's Moral Grounding? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
1ord:

Nope it is not because one fears the arm of the law. It is the realization that if we were all red eyed cannibals their would be no progress in humanity and our chances of self accomplishment and attempts to further humanity will be futile and pointless. Further the chances of our survival in an organised and controlled situation is optimal. That is why atheists agnostics and deists seem to want to control religion. Because we have moved beyond it and it just seems to drag us as a species backwards. I do not kill because i fear the law,with a good enough lawyer and sufficient bribes i can find a loop hole within the law. Its just that the stress and time spent can be spent immortalizing my name and receiving plaudits and awards. Hence atheist do not fear the law they respect and encourage it because it furthers their agenda and optimizes their chances of survival. Imagine what it would have been like been a free thinker in the stone ages with no laws. we would have been flayed for heresy for opening up the human body to find out how it works. Now you enjoy a long life due to the risk a free thinker took although many were flayed. We have taken the mantle upon ourselves to further humanity so they can become the Gods and determine the point of their existence not as an individual but as a unit. That is why we have problems with religion it creates an individual specific identity. Explaining this will take too much time. Hope i have cleared your doubts.

Your fishy morality just takes advantage of the situation to please yourselves. If your Government reduces the age of consent for sex to 13 would you not take advantage of the situation? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Best Way To Fight A Witch / The Fastest Growing Prophetic And Deliverance Ministry In Nigeria / Fast, Pray, Fill your heart with GOD's Words. Love GOD. Love People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.