Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,319 members, 7,829,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot (787 Views)

Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala / Ibrahim Coomasie, Son Of Abacha’s Police IG Shows Off Wealth (PHOTOS) / Throwback Pics Of Abacha, MKO & Tinubu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot by ctytechnologies: 3:53am On Aug 08, 2014
[img]http://4.bp..com/-ksDhucByPtM/Uxfdp4np6FI/AAAAAAAABck/Ip2mV49m0AA/s1600/sani+abacha+loot+us.jpg[/img]

The US Justice Department said Thursday it had won legal control of nearly a half-billion dollars worth of corrupt gains hidden in bank accounts by former Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha.

The department said a court judgment on Wednesday gave it title to more than $480 million that Abacha, who ruled Nigeria from 1993 to 1998, and associates had embezzled and placed in accounts in Jersey, England, Ireland and France.

That took US authorities one step closer to eventually repatriating the money, only a portion of the billions allegedly stolen by Abacha, to Nigeria.

The US is still seeking control over another four Abacha-tied investment portfolios in Britain containing $148 million.

Based on the court judgement, the department will seek to have authorities in those four jurisdictions order banks to transfer the money to it, on the basis that the corrupt funds were originally moved through the US financial system.

“General Abacha and others systematically embezzled billions of dollars in public funds from the Central Bank of Nigeria on the false pretense that the funds were neces.......

Click here to read full post from source link
Re: US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot by naijajobspost(m): 2:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
Abacha the don . Nigeria with many bad leaders
Re: US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 08, 2014
Buhari wants to come and do his own

1 Like

Re: US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot by 9jalyte: 5:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ok, every year US is busy playing santa, helping us recover the endless billions Abacha looted. I am beginning to wonder the motive of this, is it guilty conscience on the death of Abacha or is there another thing in the pipeline. I have no doubt, this whole return of Abacha's loot is a pointer to something we have not figured out, but let's thanks them though.

Now the big question, why Abacha always! the man is dead, we have rejoiced/mourned him, why still reminding us of Abacha. What did that man do to US. If they are really honest in their gestures, why not help us recover the loots of our living thieves, or are they afraid of them, or their sophistication can not locate the other loots. Since past 15 years, the amount of money looted in Nigeria cannot be compared in anyway to what they world kept away for Abacha. I ask again, almighty US, are you saying your eyes only see the loots of dead men.

I can only point to some possibilities: this Abacha loot are always used to keep Nigeria indebted to them, as "big bros", or It is a continuous way of justifying an action which hunts some people's conscience, Or still, there is something behind we have not figured out. Let them help us identify the loots from our living leaders, if the are really transparent. Our interest now is to prosecute and punish the living and not always repeating the cliche of Abacha loot, it is becoming boring. Another possibility is that they know where the other loots are, and are using them to blackmail some of our leaders for whatever purpose - we know how it works.
In Fact, next time, if they have no news of the loot of someone alive, they should hold their peace, after all, we did not make our budget based on Abacha's loot. It becoming too much for these fellows that will not leave Nigeria alone. And before I forget, they should also help us blacklist those buying stolen crude from Nigeria. Every time we hear how Nigerian are corrupt, but someone is funding the stealing of crude from Nigeria, CNN will never talk about the Oyibo crime. Ok o.

1 Like

Re: US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot by brownlord1: 5:05pm On Aug 08, 2014
9jalyte: Ok, every year US is busy playing santa, helping us recover the endless billions Abacha looted. I am beginning to wonder the motive of this, is it guilty conscience on the death of Abacha or is there another thing in the pipeline. I have no doubt, this whole return of Abacha's loot is a pointer to something we have not figured out, but let's thanks them though.

Now the big question, why Abacha always! the man is dead, we have rejoiced/mourned him, why still reminding us of Abacha. What did that man do to US. If they are really honest in their gestures, why not help us recover the loots of our living thieves, or are they afraid of them, or their sophistication can not locate the other loots. Since past 15 years, the amount of money looted in Nigeria cannot be compared in anyway to what they world kept away for Abacha. I ask again, almighty US, are you saying your eyes only see the loots of dead men.

I can only point to some possibilities: this Abacha loot are always used to keep Nigeria indebted to them, as "big bros", or It is a continuous way of justifying an action which hunts some people's conscience, Or still, there is something behind we have not figured out. Let them help us identify the loots from our living leaders, if the are really transparent. Our interest now is to prosecute and punish the living and not always repeating the cliche of Abacha loot, it is becoming boring. Another possibility is that they know where the other loots are, and are using them to blackmail some of our leaders for whatever purpose - we know how it works.
In Fact, next time, if they have no news of the loot of someone alive, they should hold their peace, after all, we did not make our budget based on Abacha's loot. It becoming too much for these fellows that will not leave Nigeria alone. And before I forget, they should also help us blacklist those buying stolen crude from Nigeria. Every time we hear how Nigerian are corrupt, but someone is funding the stealing of crude from Nigeria, CNN will never talk about the Oyibo crime. Ok o.

Excellent, but you go wait tire
Re: US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 08, 2014
smiley propaganda
Re: US Wins Control Of Half-billion Dollars Corrupt Gains Of Abacha’s Loot by LekansaX: 6:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
Foolish leaders Blind followers.. Tnk God my Visa don ready.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram: ‘bodies Litter’ Bama Town – BBC / Boko Haram Video Shows Abubakar Shekau Alive / 2015: No Plan To Field Muslim-muslim Ticket — APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.