Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" (718 Views)

Football Star Forced To Strip Naked To Prove She Is Not Man / Who Do You Acredit To Be The Man Of The Match Against Man U Vs Chelsea / Di Maria Is Shortsighted But Man United Need A Winger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by gentlezypher: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2014
I'm not a regular in the World Football community. I occasionally read the front page articles and regularly check the Manchester United page.
Through my light endeavours into the grand World Football community, I have come across a very disturbing trend.
People referring to Manchester United as "Man U".
I understand that 90% of living people do not know that "Man U" is one of the most offensive and disrespectful nicknames ever given to a club.
Let me tell you why.
The origin of the term "Man U" is a song to insult the deceased Duncan Edwards. The Leeds fans (not to knock on any Leeds fans out there, but this is fact) created their own version of the song to insult all the men that died in the Munich air disaster of 1958.
Rival supporters have since adopted this term for the same use: To insult the men who died in Munich.
The song went something like this:
"Man U, Man U, went on a plane! Man U, Man U, never came back again!"
"Man U, never intended in coming home!"
If that doesn't get your blood boiling, nothing on this earth will.
I am not angry at anyone who has used this term, as it is not common knowledge.
Just know that it is used to offend not only Manchester United, but the memory of the Munich air disaster.
I hope that makes it a bit clearer that saying "Man U" is a mortal insult, particularly to the older supporters.
Appropriate names are as follows: Manchester United, Man United, United, Red Devils.
That is why we chant, "There's only one United!"
If you take one thing from this article, it is that you will never use the term "Man U" again. Also, if you see that term flying around, you correct the uninformed user.
This has been a public service announcement. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by DickDastardly(m): 4:17pm On Aug 09, 2014
This is a very very idle talk.
Btw, go tell that to moyes tongue
Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by rastamouse: 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2014
OK. Best Man U fan ever wink
Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by gentlezypher: 7:53pm On Aug 09, 2014
rastamouse: OK. Best Man U fan ever wink
u just did it again not man u but man utd

1 Like

Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by rastamouse: 8:03pm On Aug 09, 2014
gentlezypher: u just did it again not man u but man utd

Ooops....you also mentioned Man U again grin
Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by iiichidodo: 8:38pm On Aug 09, 2014
Some of us do prefer "Manure"...
Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by plainmirror(m): 5:33pm On Sep 03, 2014
If it's not Manchester, then it can not be united.

#RedDevils

1 Like

Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by dondavidson(m): 7:41pm On Sep 03, 2014
its not MAN UNITED
its MANCHESTER UNITED

1 Like

Re: Its Not "Man U" But "Man United" by RayMcBlue(m): 9:49pm On Sep 03, 2014
It's not Manchester United, rather, it's Manchester United Football Club.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Emmanuel Sarki Set To Debut For Haiti National Team / 99% Sure Maximum Betting Infor / Naijaside.com Present Fifa's 23 Men List For 2014 Ballo D'or Award,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.