Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! (4836 Views)

Mention Your Most Embarrassing Moments With The Opposite Sex. / His Dad Died But He Didnt Cry / My Husband Thinks I Lied 2 Him About My Virginity Bcz I Didnt Bleed The 1st Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by divalishis: 2:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
I started dating this guy x years ago. A couple of months into the relationship, he told me he wanted to further his studies. Well, I wasn't in full support. And a short while latter after he started fully, I became very insecure as it was a long distance relationship.

I didn't ask How lectures were going. If he wanted to Read in the library I'd accuse him of seeing other girls Since he would tell me he couldn't pick my calls in the library.

We would argue and bicker before exams and sometimes spend the night talking it out and exams were the next day. To Please me, he didn't keep late nights Since all I accused him of was cheating.

He would tell me I was hurting him, wasn't allowing him concentrate. But I continued.

I guess it became too much as after a particularly serious fight, he told me it was over. I thought it was business as usual until I saw he wouldn't pick my calls or talk to me.

Days stretched into months, months into a year. Two.
All my attempts at reconciliation were rebuffed.

Then I got a breakthrough. He gave us another chance. Things have been going on well as we have both matured and i know never to act like i used to.

At this point, he was doing the final corrections to his thesis. He was supposed to have finished But his new busy job delayed him.

I saw the final draft and noticed he omitted my name from the acknowledgment, even though we were back together. He thanked his profs, his family, his friends, his roommates. He mentioned people by their name. Even those that did minor favours for him, he mentioned. But mine is nowhere to be found.

Am I justified to feel so sad, angry even. Considering the fact that we are getting married, don't I deserve a mention? He made a distinction in his thesis and it hurts that he doesn't see me as one of those who went with him on that academic journey. Has he even truly forgiven me?
Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 10, 2014
Go and work on your insecurity before you commit murder suicide one day.

Why should he acknowledge you? Aknowledgement is for those who SUPPORTED him you didnt support him, left to you he would have failed, you wont let him read or attend lectures in peace why then do you think you deserve a mention?
You are not in love but obsessed, when he wants to travel on official trips am sure you will raise hell, when he stays in same hotel with colleagues I doubt you will let him sleep with monitoring calls.

Are you jobless or just a monitoring spirit?

51 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by phabulous88(m): 3:20pm On Aug 10, 2014
divalishis:

I didn't ask How lectures were going. If he wanted to Read in the library I'd accuse him of seeing other girls Since he would tell me he couldn't pick my calls in the library.

We would argue and bicker before exams and sometimes spend the night talking it out and exams were the next day. To Please me, he didn't keep late nights Since all I accused him of was cheating.

He would tell me I was hurting him, wasn't allowing him concentrate. But I continued.

At this point, he was doing the final corrections to his thesis. He was supposed to have finished But his new busy job delayed him.

I just mentioned you grin

Go through the above points and be truthful to yourself, were you really a part of his studies? He acknowledged those who supported him whilst studying but what were you? An accuser and a distractions. He's even likes you to accept you back after a year, who knows what you've been doing in that one year?

4 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by divalishis: 3:24pm On Aug 10, 2014
@aisha
I support him. I didn't know better then But I do now.
He has been talking of quitting his job which put him in interaction with scores of people everyday, where he can even meet finer girls, But I give him the encourage he needs to hold on.

I encourage him everyday, Because his work is both tasking and time consuming.

You shouldn't sound so angry and mad. If the person involved could walk past all that, to a certain extent, then who are you to judge me so harshly? After all, nobody is perfect. And he saw some good in me to have come back....

16 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 10, 2014
divalishis: I started dating this guy x years ago. A couple of months into the relationship, he told me he wanted to further his studies. Well, I wasn't in full support. And a short while latter after he started fully, I became very insecure as it was a long distance relationship.

I guess it became too much as after a particularly serious fight, he told me it was over. I thought it was business as usual until I saw he wouldn't pick my calls or talk to me.

Days stretched into months, months into a year. Two.
All my attempts at reconciliation were rebuffed.

Then I got a breakthrough. He gave us another chance. Things have been going on well as we have both matured and i know never to act like i used to.

I saw the final draft and noticed he omitted my name from the acknowledgment, even though we were back together. He thanked his profs, his family, his friends, his roommates. He mentioned people by their name. Even those that did minor favours for him, he mentioned. But mine is nowhere to be found.

Am I justified to feel so sad, angry even. Considering the fact that we are getting married, don't I deserve a mention? He made a distinction in his thesis and it hurts that he doesn't see me as one of those who went with him on that academic journey. Has he even truly forgiven me?

You are a very lucky woman to have gotten a second chance & his not mentioning you in his thesis should be the last thing on your mind right now. You have said it yourself that you didnt really do much to support him whilst he was in school, so he will be lying if he put your name on it.

The guy sounds like someone with principles and even though this principle hurts you now, you will see the advantages of this quality in the future.

What you should be doing is working hard to get him to trust you with his feelings/life again. It will take time, but if you have truly learnt from your mistakes and are genuingly making amends, then with time, he should begin to appreciate you in his life again.
Truly be his number one fan and he will acknowledge and appreciate you

If you do feel deep in you that he hasnt really forgiven you and he is being deliberatly malicious, then do have a heart to heart chat with him.

14 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 10, 2014
Let's be honesty here, You deserve an acknowledgment. It doesn't matter what you did to him but as partners now, he ought to acknowledge you as a pillar of support in one way or the other.

#BTW, I don't know why some peeps here vent their frustrated life's in their comments. Give it a rest jeez!

19 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 10, 2014
divalishis: @aisha
He has been talking of quitting his job which put him in interaction with scores of people everyday, where he can even meet finer girls, But I give him the encourage he needs to hold on.
You shouldn't sound so angry and mad. If the person involved could walk past all that, to a certain extent, then who are you to judge me so harshly? After all, nobody is perfect. And he saw some good in me to have come back....

Good you have learned and moved on, since you didntmention that in your original post and based on what you are complaining about its easy to assume your insecurities are kicking off again.

Well, did you guys make up before he finished his thesis?

If I were you, I would let this go and work on building a new relationship with him gain his trust and confidence.

You really did not support his studies based on what you wrote, most times when we say sorry we expect immediate results and acceptance but a relationship especially one severed takes time to rebuild.

I advice you to stay calm and not make this an issue, read on "conquering insecurities" google it. Also make a voice note reminder to yourself and set it to recite everyday, tell your self that you will not let fear run your life or relationships.

Fear and faith cannot exists together, its fear that makes you act like that assuming things that dont exist. Know that even if a man cheats and your relationship breaks LIFE DOES GO ON, your calling and monitoring will not stop anyone from doing what they want to do.

Whenever you feel like reacting to issues negatively, gently rub your chest and tell yourself to calm down.

Much much later if you are still together you can let himknow you were hurt by being unaknowledged and LISTEN to his apology or explanation. Dont make it an issue now else you hear something more harsh than what I wrote

10 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2014
one of d reason y i dont mention names in d acknowldgnt page......d best thing to do is to just generalise it.....makes evryone feel happy so far as u consider ursef as my friend.....back to d issue,dats just so unfair of him...for him mention his fwends name..he shud at least dedicate a line for u too....

7 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 10, 2014
divalishis: @aisha

You are on the right track.
Carry on doing just that & with time, he will begin to trust you again.
Have you been able to look inwards at why you feel so insecure? Previous bad relationships maybe?
You may want to discuss it with him, so at least he understands you when you make mistakes and he can allay your fears.
Dont forget that two heads are better than one and it takes both hands to wash the hands clean after a meal.

Having said all that, if you do genuingly see something that will negetively affect either/both of you, then you still need to voice it out.

Pray for wisdom

All the best

3 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by bellong: 4:14pm On Aug 10, 2014
As an academics, thesis is not for romantic pass or gesture but strictly academic.

Only those who contributed positively in kind, research, monetary, consciously and unconsciously deserve a mention.

From what you have narrated, you don't deserve a drop of ink in that thesis, it doesn't mean the guy is not in love with you. It only means this is strictly academics not romance.

If you had been supportive, you would have gotten a mention. Those people you thought contributed little to his success actually contributed something invaluable like words of encouragement during your caustic mouth days. So, it is not because he is marrying you, he should put up a smokescreen in a thesis.

Now tell me, why did you think you deserve a mention?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 10, 2014
I feel its ok to expect him to acknowledge you afterall you've been there from inception and inspite of your past differences you guys are good now.

It seems you are afraid if you bring it up you will look like you are falling into your old pattern of being insecure but this is your husband to be and you may be suprised it was an oversight on his part. Instead of stuffing it down,turning it over and over in your mind,analysing his action till it breeds resentment in your heart,talk to him in a way that does not sound like a demand or an accusation.

1 Like

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by MizMyColi(f): 4:21pm On Aug 10, 2014
Leh me not lie, if I were in her shoes, it'd hurt angry whether or not I contributed as immensely. [You can't possibly call me insecure] cheesy That said, keep loving him and expect nothing in return. It might be mentally tasking, but you'll be fine. Don't even mention it to Him, keep on working on yourself and keep loving the woman that you're becoming whether or not he validates you.

5 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by MizMyColi(f): 4:29pm On Aug 10, 2014
andromida: I feel its ok to expect him to acknowledge you afterall you've been there from inception and inspite of your past differences you guys are good now.

It seems you are afraid if you bring it up you will look like you are falling into your old pattern of being insecure but this is your husband to be and you may be suprised it was an oversight on his part. Instead of stuffing it down,turning it over and over in your mind,analysing his action till it breeds resentment in your heart,talk to him in a way that does not sound like a demand or an accusation.
Oversight?! Huh?
Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Kanwulia: 4:29pm On Aug 10, 2014
It is okay to feel hurt.
You don't have to win all the time.
Take it as a punishment for YOUR bad behavior in the past.
You have 2 options.

1. Ask him why your name was omitted for he may not have thought about it. kiss
2. Let him be. It might be a test. Some battles are not worth fighting and everything does not have to be about YOU! kiss

19 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by MizMyColi(f): 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2014
Okay cool Now that I think of it, maybe he wrote the acknowledgement part before you two made up?

6 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 10, 2014
MizMyColi: Leh me not lie, if I were in her shoes, it'd hurt angry whether or not I contributed as immensely. [You can't possibly call me insecure] cheesy That said, keep loving him and expect nothing in return. It might be mentally tasking, but you'll be fine. Don't even mention it to Him, keep on working on yourself and keep loving the woman that you're becoming whether or not he validates you.

Honestly I would be hurt too . . .
But deep in me, if I tell my self the truth, I will know that I had caused most of it

6 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by crackhaus: 4:34pm On Aug 10, 2014
divalishis: I started dating this guy x years ago. A couple of months into the relationship, he told me he wanted to further his studies. Well, I wasn't in full support. And a short while latter after he started fully, I became very insecure as it was a long distance relationship.

He would tell me I was hurting him, wasn't allowing him concentrate. BUT I CONTINUED.

Lady I won't even sugarcoat anything, YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED.

If you seriously believe in your heart that you should have been mentioned on his acknowledgment page, then insecurity is the least of your problem...Try working on your delusional disorder (grandiose-type) as well, it's a psychological problem...Google it! grin

15 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by MizMyColi(f): 4:39pm On Aug 10, 2014
chaircover:

Honestly I would be hurt too . . .
But deep in me, if I tell my self the truth, I will know that I had caused most of it
^^^ True, That. But then, even when you've told yourself that truth, you'd still think in the lines of "But, even at that......."
Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by MizMyColi(f): 4:40pm On Aug 10, 2014
crackhaus:
Lady I won't even sugarcoat anything, YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED.

If you seriously believe in your heart that you should have been mentioned on his acknowledgment page, then insecurity is the least of your problem...Try working on your delusional disorder (grandiose-type) as well, it's a psychological problem...Google it! grin
undecided

1 Like

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by crackhaus: 4:41pm On Aug 10, 2014
Kanwulia: It is okay to feel hurt.
You don't have to win all the time.
Take it as a punishment for YOUR bad behavior in the past.
You have 2 options.

1. Ask him why your name was omitted for he may not have thought about it. kiss
2. Let him be. It might be a test. Some battles are not worth fighting and everything does not have to be about YOU! kiss
Hmmmm...

Someone decided to make sense today. Indeed there is a God.

27 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
Be honest: are you hurt for not getting a mention or because when people open the thesis they wont see your name?

You got off easy believe me. If I wanted to get a masters and better my life and the man I was dating was not supportive, then would hound me with calls and accusations not allowing me to concentraten hiannnnnnnn oh, sorry him chapter don close be that.

Your guy is a hero oh for forgiving you, me I know I wont even look back at any spouse who isnt supportive of my goals or dreams. My "feminist" instincts will kick in and totally write him off lol.

Your guy is a hero, just do jeje and as Almondjoy has said take it as "punishment for bad behavior" believe me that was a very light punishment

8 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 10, 2014
Ceasar1: Let's be honesty here, You deserve an acknowledgment. It doesn't matter what you did to him but as partners now, he ought to acknowledge you as a pillar of support in one way or the other.

#BTW, I don't know why some peeps here vent their frustrated life's in their comments. Give it a rest jeez!

Sometimes i want to reply you but always decide not to because the way you type in italics and colors. That's the reason why i don't quote you even if you make sense sometimes. It's very annoying. And for your info everyone has a right to their own opinion, nobody is frustrated. Try to type normally so i can take you as matured.

6 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by crackhaus: 4:47pm On Aug 10, 2014
MizMyColi: undecided
We're so not on the same page regarding this matter.

2 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 10, 2014
MizMyColi: ^^^ True, That. But then, even when you've told yourself that truth, you'd still think in the lines of "But, even at that......."

Maybe, but the feeling of hurt wont be as intense as when I first found out.

When things dont go to plan, its always good to take time and evaluate things. Sometimes on first look, we think we are right, but when we think deeper, we realise that we are not 100% blameless

How would he have felt or what would have happened if he had failed exams due to his not being in the right state of mind, becasue he spent the night before sorting out arguments with the op

5 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 10, 2014
How can he acknowledge you when you weren't there to support him undecided

Two things .
Forget about it since you do not merit it
Or gently type in your name into the draft. No be you hold the draft?
You see, problem solved.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
MizMyColi: Oversight?! Huh?

Yeah oversight. I've made that kind of mistake before in my case it was with a very close friend who had been really helpful. When she saw it she simply said I can't see my name here and I felt so baaad. I apologised she was very forgiving.

Imagine if she had said nothing and came up with stories in her head she would have started acting out.

In this case i know there is a precedence of insecure behavior on her part but if he had not forgiven her he would not have come back and since they got back I imagine she has been doing her best to be supportive of him.

She should ask to know so she can forgive,forget and move on in peace not just assume that he still has beef with her and if he says he does not feel her name should be there then she knows this is one of those instances she is not winning but atleast she knows.

1 Like

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 10, 2014
Chillisauce: How can he acknowledge you when you weren't there to support him undecided
Two things .
Forget about it since you do not merit it
Or gently type in your name into the draft. No be you hold the draft?
You see, problem solved.

My sister, me I was even thinking I was over reacting but I put myself in the guys shoe just imagine.

Poster, I said it before work on yourself, the more I read the more I notice:

1. You feel entitled to certain things not caring how the other person feels. (Why wouldnt he acknowledge me even though I was unsupportive but still he should have acknowledged me)

2. You feel justified ( He must have seen something good in me to come back)

3. You dont seem to understand clearly when you are wrong and keep pushing other peoples buttons even when they say stop (I felt it was business as usual till he stopped picking my calls)

We all learn and grow, but one cannot learn till they open their minds and hearts to the wants and needs of others.

Am sorry if you think you are justified in getting upset over something you clearly didnt earn then you still havent learned.

You are NOT entitled to benefits, You EARN them, this you didnt earn, work hard next time and earn an acknowledgement, its not automatic

20 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by MizMyColi(f): 5:08pm On Aug 10, 2014
chaircover:

Maybe, but the feeling of hurt wont be as intense as when I first found out.

When things dont go to plan, its always good to take time and evaluate things. Sometimes on first look, we think we are right, but when we think deeper, we realise that we are not 100% blameless

How would he have felt or what would have happened if he had failed exams due to his not being in the right state of mind, because he spent the night before sorting out arguments with the op

You know, you're right.

Personally, I've never been a fan of a man being all uptight principled and unfeeling when it comes to relationship matters.

If she can, without flinching nor showing any sign of emotion, its best she talks about it though, just to clear up her thought process, not in a nagging form of course but making him know she noticed and respects his decision of not including her name, because of how she was to Him @TheTime.

See, Madam Chaircover, I'm speaking from experience here. I won't go into details. But I think I have a fair idea of what it must be like for the OP. I do not claim to have apprehended on issues like this, but I've done something like what I suggested and seen results.

Whether or not he includes her name doesn't affect her value and worth one bit. (She's likely feeling that way now) She can and will be better for Herself and for Him.

Question is, does she whole-heartedly believe this about herself?

3 Likes

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by SirAweezy(m): 5:11pm On Aug 10, 2014
Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by SirAweezy(m): 5:13pm On Aug 10, 2014
aisha2: Go and work on your insecurity before you commit murder suicide one day.

Why should he acknowledge you? Aknowledgement is for those who SUPPORTED him you didnt support him, left to you he would have failed, you wont let him read or attend lectures in peace why then do you think you deserve a mention?
You are not in love but obsessed, when he wants to travel on official trips am sure you will raise hell, when he stays in same hotel with colleagues I doubt you will let him sleep with monitoring calls.

Are you jobless or just a monitoring spirit?

Ouch! Those punches were hot! I couldn't even handle them mehnnnn lol grin You made great sense outa d nonesense

1 Like

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by MizMyColi(f): 5:16pm On Aug 10, 2014
andromida:

Yeah oversight. I've made that kind of mistake before in my case it was with a very close friend who had been really helpful. When she saw it she simply said I can't see my name here and I felt so baaad. I apologised she was very forgiving.

Imagine if she had said nothing and came up with stories in her head she would have started acting out.

In this case i know there is a precedence of insecure behavior on her part but if he had not forgiven her he would not have come back and since they got back I imagine she has been doing her best to be supportive of him.

She should ask to know so she can forgive,forget and move on in peace not just assume that he still has beef with her and if he says he does not feel her name should be there then she knows this is one of those instances she is not winning but atleast she knows.
Y'know, in my latest reply to Chair cover, I actually consented to your idea, I was against it initially because, I feared she might do so and mess things up.

1 Like

Re: He Didnt Mention Me In His Acknowledgment! by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 10, 2014
aisha2:
My sister, me I was even thinking I was over reacting but I put myself in the guys shoe just imagine.
Poster, I said it before work on yourself, the more I read the more I notice:
1. You feel entitled to certain things not caring how the other person feels. (Why wouldnt he acknowledge me even though I was unsupportive but still he should have acknowledged me)
2. You feel justified ( He must have seen something good in me to come back)
3. You dont seem to understand clearly when you are wrong and keep pushing other peoples buttons even when they say stop (I felt it was business as usual till he stopped picking my calls)
We all learn and grow, but one cannot learn till they open their minds and hearts to the wants and needs of others.
Am sorry if you think you are justified in getting upset over something you clearly didnt earn then you still havent learned.
You are NOT entitled to benefits, You EARN them, this you didnt earn, work hard next time and earn an acknowledgement, its not automatic
thank you
Most Nigerians like this mentality of my right to this and that even when you don't merit it.

Just like some folks saying because he is my brother, I should have this and that.

The other time, on one thread, another is asking for money to continue her studies abroad . I mentioned loan, s(he) refused. Say na free money. Bacause here in nairaland , some folks had been donated money to, so s(he) is also entitled to free money.

We should know when we deserve things abeg. He just made up with you, why not wait and see the direction you guys are going before making this a topic.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Control Your Sexual Urge When Your Wife Is Menstruating / Mothers Can You Do This To Your Daughter(s)? PIC!!! / Very Neat Water Dispenser With Bottle For 35k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.