Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help (3617 Views)

Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / My Engine Capacity!! What Does It Mean? / My Engine Rings Are Failing: Is It Better To Work On It Or Change The Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:33am On Aug 11, 2014
lomomike: OP, smartchoice, GAZZUZZ, Uboma, et al following the steps this thread is heading, do you suggest we rename this thread accordingly or we go create a new thread so that we don't derail his thread? I'm asking your opinion with greater attention to the OP's attention.

New thread for recommended engine/tranny sellers and updated prices of engine and tranny for diferent makes/ models (models should be specified) locations also so its not just lagos.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by uboma(m): 11:39am On Aug 11, 2014
Bossmd:

The thread is not been derailed....I think along the line we have sorted the Op's issues. Any other useful tips can be chipped in, the op can also pick some useful tips from these discussions.

Very well then. @ lomomike, please lemme have your number.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by presidentpikin: 2:22pm On Aug 11, 2014
I went to the part market in kd, the price for belgium engine is N75,000 with one wk gurantee but funny enogh all the engine I saw were just like trash.visual wise my engine is more neat than those engine and having a thinking of rebuilding my engine cos still in fair condition.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:50pm On Aug 11, 2014
presidentpikin: I went to the part market in kd, the price for belgium engine is N75,000 with one wk gurantee but funny enogh all the engine I saw were just like trash.visual wise my engine is more neat than those engine and having a thinking of rebuilding my engine cos still in fair condition.

Some of them look like trash and make more sence than what you have, oil spill on an engine does not make it a rubish, you need a technical eye to look at an engine, please go with a "trusted" friend or mechanic.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Bossmd: 7:57pm On Aug 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Some of them look like trash and make more sence than what you have, oil spill on an engine does not make it a rubish, you need a technical eye to look at an engine, please go with a "trusted" friend or mechanic.

Its not what the engine looks like physically that determines its efficiency. Go with a good mechanic, they know how to test a sound engine.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by uboma(m): 8:42pm On Aug 11, 2014
presidentpikin: I went to the part market in kd, the price for belgium engine is N75,000 with one wk gurantee but funny enogh all the engine I saw were just like trash.visual wise my engine is more neat than those engine and having a thinking of rebuilding my engine cos still in fair condition.

If you can get a competent mechanic, it will better to rebuild your engine instead of buying the so called belgium engines that we can't trace their history...
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by uboma(m): 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2014
Bossmd:

Its not what the engine looks like physically that determines its efficiency. Go with a good mechanic, they know how to test a sound engine.

I beg to differ. There's no good mechanic so far here in Nigeria that can test if a previously used engine is sound. I'm talking from experience. Sometime this year, I took my Bimmer to my mechanic for the regular oil change and saw a man with my kind of Bimmer who wanted to replace his engine. My mechanic and him had so far gotten 2 engines which weren't too sound after mounting them. It was the third one that clicked.

So my brother, all na wash. Our trial and error mechanics here will assure that they can get a good engine but they can never be 70% accurate. Instead if you get a good engine, just consider yourself LUCKY.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Bossmd: 10:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
uboma:

I beg to differ. There's no good mechanic so far here in Nigeria that can test if a previously used engine is sound. I'm talking from experience. Sometime this year, I took my Bimmer to my mechanic for the regular oil change and saw a man with my kind of Bimmer who wanted to replace his engine. My mechanic and him had so far gotten 2 engines which weren't too sound after mounting them. It was the third one that clicked.

So my brother, all na wash. Our trial and error mechanics here will assure that they can get a good engine but they can never be 70% accurate. Instead if you get a good engine, just consider yourself LUCKY.

How do you know an engine that is not sound? Just curious
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Bossmd: 10:32pm On Aug 11, 2014
uboma:

If you can get a competent mechanic, it will better to rebuild your engine instead of buying the so called belgium engines that we can't trace their history...

80% of engineers here on nairaland will disagree with you on this. To rebuild the engine seems the best option really but that crankshaft assembly is such a finely tuned system that even a thousandth of error will become noticeable. The bearing clearances are measured to the last fractions and must conform to factory standards to function efficiently. How many of our roadside mechanics have these advanced equipment to do these measurements? This is why it is best to just replace your engine once it fails.

I tried this rebuild option when my engine knocked but it was just a waste of time and energy because the problem still persisted and at the end of the day I replaced the engine.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by uboma(m): 10:37pm On Aug 11, 2014
Bossmd:

80% of engineers here on nairaland will disagree with you on this. To rebuild the engine seems the best option really but that crankshaft assembly is such a finely tuned system that even a thousandth of error will become noticeable. The bearing clearances are measured to the last fractions and must conform to factory standards to function efficiently. How many of our roadside mechanics have these advanced equipment to do these measurements? This is why it is best to just replace your engine once it fails.

I tried this rebuild option when my engine knocked but it was just a waste of time and energy because the problem still persisted and at the end of the day I replaced the engine.

Did you read my post very well? Did you see the clause I used (if you can get a competent mechanic...)?
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by uboma(m): 10:39pm On Aug 11, 2014
Bossmd:

Ask

GOOGLE
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Bossmd: 1:17am On Aug 12, 2014
uboma:

Did you read my post very well? Did you see the clause I used (if you can get a competent mechanic...)?

No naija mechanic has such level of competence except learned technicians and certified Automotive Engineers.

How I wish 'Siena' can open an 'Auto Fix' shop in some major cities across Nigeria, all our Auto problems will be solved grin
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by presidentpikin: 10:13am On Aug 12, 2014
Actually my engine didn't knocked but this is the culprit of my engine
- White smoke each time am drivinhg my car
- Each time I travelled a long distance,oil shortage
- Rough idling and until recently black smoke and unable to drive up to 80 km/hr.
I started exeprience this when I washed the engine of my car followed by overheating of the engine. Before this time the car was in good condition
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Bossmd: 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2014
presidentpikin: Actually my engine didn't knocked but this is the culprit of my engine
- White smoke each time am drivinhg my car
- Each time I travelled a long distance,oil shortage
- Rough idling and until recently black smoke and unable to drive up to 80 km/hr.
I started exeprience this when I washed the engine of my car followed by overheating of the engine. Before this time the car was in good condition

Lesson: Never wash your engine with water....clean it yourself with a wet cloth and detergent.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 12, 2014
Good day N'landers, pls I need an urgent help on my toyota camry 96 engine. Firstly I don't know what happen, the engine got knocked after servicing it a month before. I was driving it when I heard a loud noise from d bunnet, I called my Mech n he make me realize that the engine is knocked. Pls what would have been the cause and kindly advise me, am I to buy a "full engine or half engine".
And what's the price of the Engine both the full one and the half one. Thanks
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Bossmd: 7:05pm On Aug 12, 2014
Emerson28: Good day N'landers, pls I need an urgent help on my toyota camry 96 engine. Firstly I don't know what happen, the engine got knocked after servicing it a month before. I was driving it when I heard a loud noise from d bunnet, I called my Mech n he make me realize that the engine is knocked. Pls what would have been the cause and kindly advise me, am I to buy a "full engine or half engine".
And what's the price of the Engine both the full one and the half one. Thanks

Call 0803 360 6425 - Desmond.
He deals in all kinds of Japanese Toyota Engines.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

You bought a 2AZ@160k wow last one I got in jos was 2weeks ago @ 220k I think we should make a thread on current engine prices and contacts when it comes to engine and transsmission replacement, so people don't get ripped off so easily.

Mean while your thread is not updated on your new engine keep us updated.

I got the same 2AZ for 120k in May in ladipo my Dad is friends with the importer we got there late was supposed to get it for less. We had to buy from the guy to importer sold it to. They sell engine and gear together so the guy took the gear and gave us the engine.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by presidentpikin: 8:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
Finally engine overhauled and in optimum performance... Thank you Gazzuz your advice on radiator cap replacement is the bomb and thermostat replaced ... All is fine. Am so grateful to you all.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
Bossmd:

It's actually very easy.

1) Build a test stand

2) Run a compresion test

3) Fire up the engine and measure oil pressure

Before you install it change all the oils, hoses and gaskets that you can easily get to. MUST change the TBelt/Chain and clutch if manual.

I can pretty much look at an engine to see if I will even bother with testing it. It comes with experience.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 26, 2014
Bossmd:

Engines are rebuilt all the time in Nigeria. We really need to stop putting ourselves down.

Sure the specs needed during engine rebuild are within ranges (not exact), with a good machine shop (it's not actually the mechanic that is responsible as much as the machinist), good parts, the engine will be as good as new and in many cases even better than new since you will most likely be increasing the cylinder sizes. So a 2.0 might become a 2.1, I've rebuilt 1.3 to 1.4 before.

When we find good mechanics with good tools let's share them on NL, they are there in Nigeria. I met 2 in Ibadan (graduates) that I will be working with in December.
Re: Urgent Help About My Engine...please Help by DECOtech(m): 10:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
Bossmd:

No naija mechanic has such level of competence except learned technicians and certified Automotive Engineers.

How I wish 'Siena' can open an 'Auto Fix' shop in some major cities across Nigeria, all our Auto problems will be solved grin
So your plan is now to divided or clone Siena into how many individuals ..... ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Sale: Very Neat 2006 Toyota Corolla Sport For N1.95m. / My 2007 Honda Accord EX-L Thread (Maintenance & Upgrades) / Nissan Primera: Manual Or Auto?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.