Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt (1779 Views)

''the Money Or Continue Your Job Hunt Another Place'' / 8 Stages Of A Successful Job Hunt / Frank Odey's 7 Days Intensive E-Course On Job Hunt Mastery Is Loaded!!! Check (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Giannakopoulos(f): 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
Being hardworking doesn't mean going about doing strenuous job ie is unprofitable but , here are some signs that you're being lazy in your approach to your hunt.

1. You only apply to jobs you find online. While plenty of people get hired by responding to online job postings, if that's all you use, you'll be up against an enormous amount of competition. Your odds of getting interviews will go up dramatically if you use your network to mine for personal connections to jobs you want.

2. You send the same basic cover letter to every job you apply for. If your cover letter is generic enough to work for every job you apply for and you're not customizing it each time, you're missing out on one of the most effective ways to grab a hiring manager's attention. A good letter needs to be adapted for every application, because it should talk specifically about why you'd excel at this particular job, not just any job.

3. You don't prepare much for interviews. If you're not spending at least several hours preparing for an interview, you're selling yourself short. You should spend time reaching the employer, but also practicing your answers to likely interview questions and coming up with thoughtful questions of your own. Doing this can dramatically change how well you come across in an interview.

4. You don't prep your references before giving them out. It's courteous to let your references know when they should be expecting a call about you. Plus, by touching base with them before they're contacted, you can tell them what you'd most like them to emphasize about you for any given job.

5. You're not even sure what your references would say about you. If you don't know, it's time to find out. Call up your references and ask for an honest assessment of how positive a recommendation they can give you. And if you're worried you're getting a bad reference from a former employer, see if you can negotiate something more neutral. It's often easy to get a bad reference toned down if you ask politely.

6. You're not helping others. One of the best ways to build and reinforce your network is to help the people who are in it—by connecting them with potential opportunities, sending them articles they might find interesting, or introducing them to contacts with similar interests. Not only is this a kind thing to do, but it means that your network is much more likely to be there for you when you'd like to ask for something yourself.

7. You don't send thank-you notes after a job interview. You might think a post-interview note is an unnecessary nicety, but sending them can make a mark on an interviewer who is on the fence about you. Make a point of always emailing your interviewer within a few days after the interview to reiterate your interest in the position and refer back to the conversation.

8. You're only interested in a job, not in finding the right job. Caring only about getting a job offer and not thinking critically about how happy you'll be once you're in the job is a good way to ensure that you end up with a job that makes you miserable. Take the time to look for jobs—and managers and office cultures— that are truly right for you and screen out the ones that aren't.

SOURCE: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2013/01/14/are-you-being-lazy-in-your-job-search
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Saraha1(f): 3:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
Saraha1: Am guilty of number 1.

Erm, Ok.
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Rich4god(m): 3:34pm On Aug 12, 2014
I didnt really understand number 1...
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Marvin67: 4:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
Abeg all these things about jobs and the best way to get them are becoming to sound like music. I don't doubt any of the points raised by the article. They're all vital points. I just want to point out that two factors give people jobs faster than any other factors in Nigeria, those two things are 1. Who you know. 2. The grace of God. Who do you think would get a job faster between someone who knows almost all the middle class people in his church, street and every where he goes to , and someone who has just one uncle in as a permanent secretary in the federal civil service? So many people have tried everything they've seen on the net, some people may even change their names, just because they want a name that maybe flows with the name of the company they're applying to, yet they don't get the job. Some just graduate from the university, apply naively for one job and they get the job ahead of all the experienced job applicants who know all tricks of tailoring their cv's and cover letters.
As I said earlier, I'm not disputing any of the points, they all work. I'm just saying nothing works faster than the Grace of God upon a person, and no networking works faster than having "one top oga at the top" in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by luvola(m): 4:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
I have started dropping CVs to audit firms /coys still no show yet/positive response . It like hugging a transformer and still not die. God help us all ;DI have started dropping CVs to audit firms /coys still no show yet/positive response . It like hugging a transformer and still not die. God help us all
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by HooxJnr(m): 5:09pm On Aug 12, 2014
I totally agree with all the points raised above.
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Giannakopoulos(f): 5:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
Having gone through this article myself,house,would you term someone who has passed through the first and final stages of an interview,but is waiting to called on for training "a lazy man"?,I listened to a documentary on "who is a lazy man",and my conscience is really disturbing me. Or should one just do any work (even if there's no profit) he sees because he doesn't want to be termed "a lazy man"?
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mtcheeeeww. .who go get work go get...

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Dramadiddy(m): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
Meanwhile, learn to play the piano with tutorials on nairaland's official thread
for keyboardists.. Visit now! No knowledge is a waste http://
www.nairaland.com/1814503/thread-keyboardists
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Giannakopoulos(f): 8:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
Dramadiddy: Meanwhile, learn to play the piano with tutorials on nairaland's official thread
for keyboardists.. Visit now! No knowledge is a waste http://
www.nairaland.com/1814503/thread-keyboardists
Baba what are you doing here
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by victorNRceo: 9:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
nice one OP

a promo is on, 50mb each to 25 PERSONS.
D new Android plans with Etisalat.
50mb@N100_1gb@1.4k n mor
https://www.nairaland.com/1840190/d-new-etisalat-android-plans
enquires on whatsapp/voice call 09090431565
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Dramadiddy(m): 9:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
Giannakopoulos: Baba what are you doing here
pushing the thread ooo my brother
Re: 8 Signs To Show You Are Lazy On Your Job Hunt by Chasicolis(f): 11:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
at lax..i med fp

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Job Market: Six Highly Effective Secrets of Top-achieving Graduates / Fresh Graduate Personal Banker At Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc / Who Else Got Such Mail? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.