Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace? (890 Views)

My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace / 12 Effective Ways To Gain Respect In The Workplace. / How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace? by laivwire(m): 10:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
I was posted as an assistant branch manger to one of the my company offices within Nigeria. I am not small but quite slim with a very young look. Naturally I presented myself as a friendly person to all the staff working in that branch as I desired to inspire and not order people around unfortunately this has not worked well in my favour. As a matter of fact, I got some inside information today that the top management noticed my performance and wanted to promote me a full manager, the only weakness that stood in my way was the fact that I could not delegate authority as I was too friendly and staff just take me for granted. I need advice! These guys are older than I am, probably more experienced but theres a reason I was posted here. To achieve goals while coordinating and working as a team. How do I make the turn around?
Re: How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace? by laivwire(m): 10:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
This topic was repeated mistakenly, mods please help close this. Thanks
Re: How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 14, 2014
laivwire: This topic was repeated mistakenly, mods please help close this. Thanks

Let me give you a quick and simple and a straightforward answer.

In my years if experience, I have noticed that most of the times, management WILL usually promote those they have seen to take charge and direct their subordinates with authority. This does not mean you should not be friendly but it will be so minimal that at the end of the day they would even despise your friendliness when they feel you order them around and then smile with them again.

So if you want promotion and are driven, a goal getter and value promotion over friendship, then do what you have to do. Take charge.
Re: How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace? by laivwire(m): 9:48pm On Aug 14, 2014
Thanks sir. Its noted

(1) (Reply)

Masters In Information Systems VS Masters In Finance - Which Is Better? / DELETED / Geology & Geophysics Student Seeking IT Placements, Let Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.