Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:03 AM

Advice On Acura Mdx 04 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice On Acura Mdx 04 (13973 Views)

Acura Mdx Tech Package 2008 Model Showing Check Transmission With Flashing D / I Need Advice On Acura Mdx 2002-2004 / Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 5:14am On Aug 16, 2014
Stumbled on a clean and a good deal Acura MDX 04 here on NL Nigerian used. I am fixated on having the car someday but with the advice from two close friends am a bit confused. Is there any real issue peculiar to the model yr and brand? Also I based in Port Harcourt can I have the location of a good service workshop should I take on the deal. It is to be my first SUV so I sure do need this advice
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by kingschild123(m): 2:24pm On Aug 16, 2014
It's a great car with little or no maintenance at all just minor works on the brake oil and pads that's all. My verdict- go for it, it's a nice car.

Pros
Room for seven passengers or serious amounts of cargo, gutsy V6 engine, well-balanced suspension, top-rated crash test scores, low price.

Cons
Limited off-road capability, below-average tow rating, ho-hum interior design and materials.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by domack99(m): 2:30pm On Aug 16, 2014
pasino26: Stumbled on a clean and a good deal Acura MDX 04 here on NL Nigerian used. I am fixated on having the car someday but with the advice from two close friends am a bit confused. Is there any real issue peculiar to the model yr and brand? Also I based in Port Harcourt can I have the location of a good service workshop should I take on the deal. It is to be my first SUV so I sure do need this advice

I use MDX 04 personally myself (Touring with RES), am presently based in Lagos. You have to understand that the car is a luxury SUV that is equipped with all necessity.

MDX 04 is a 3.5 litre capacity engine so you can't compare the fuel consumption with other basic SUV like Highlander, Pilot, CRV, etc. MDX is in Toyota lexus category

I bought mine early this year and I have been using it for six month now with no issue, you get the best fuel efficiency on highways not really good with city with lots of traffic, this is true for all high capacity litre engine. I spend an average of 5k on weekly basis including weekends and I believe this works for me because my office route is against Lagos traffic. My previous car is a V6 Mazda with 2.4 litre engine capacity and then I spend like N3,500 weekly.

The car is a very good one but you need to inspect well to ensure you are not buying liability, I mean a faulty one. And also never allow any how mechanic to touch the vehicle, I usually do my home work myself before going to the Mech, you can learn a lot here on Nairaland.

let me know if you still want to know more

9 Likes

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by domack99(m): 2:47pm On Aug 16, 2014
kingschild123: It's a great car with little or no maintenance at all just minor works on the brake oil and pads that's all. My verdict- go for it, it's a nice car.

Pros
Room for seven passengers or serious amounts of cargo, gutsy V6 engine, well-balanced suspension, top-rated crash test scores, low price.

Cons
Limited off-road capability, below-average tow rating, ho-hum interior design and materials.

For a 2004 model, I will say the interior is not that bad, though you get to see better interiors nowadays but this is an 04 model, very few 04 like Lexus RX330 can beat the interior but the SUV has the best exterior design for that year range

1 Like

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 16, 2014
I think the main problem it has is its transmission issues. There have been many complaints about the transmission, but besides that, I believe it's a great ride.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by sultaan(m): 6:43pm On Aug 16, 2014
Google 2004 Honda accord, pilot, odyssey and Acura MDX transmission so you know what you are buying
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 16, 2014
Wow thanks guys, been really educative. I also have the 2004 Honda Accord in mind. As it stands I will use my spare time to do some local enquiry for an MDX Dr in PH.
domack99:
I use MDX 04 personally myself (Touring with RES), am presently based in Lagos. You have to understand that the car is a luxury SUV that is equipped with all necessity.
MDX 04 is a 3.5 litre capacity engine so you can't compare the fuel consumption with other basic SUV like Highlander, Pilot, CRV, etc. MDX is in Toyota lexus category
I bought mine early this year and I have been using it for six month now with no issue, you get the best fuel efficiency on highways not really good with city with lots of traffic, this is true for all high capacity litre engine. I spend an average of 5k on weekly basis including weekends and I believe this works for me because my office route is against Lagos traffic. My previous car is a V6 Mazda with 2.4 litre engine capacity and then I spend like N3,500 weekly.
The car is a very good one but you need to inspect well to ensure you are not buying liability, I mean a faulty one. And also never allow any how mechanic to touch the vehicle, I usually do my home work myself before going to the Mech, you can learn a lot here on Nairaland.

Man you have yourself a disciple .
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by domack99(m): 11:16pm On Aug 16, 2014
sultaan: Google 2004 Honda accord, pilot, odyssey and Acura MDX transmission so you know what you are buying
Victoriousvic: I think the main problem it has is its transmission issues. There have been many complaints about the transmission, but besides that, I believe it's a great ride.
sultaan: Google 2004 Honda accord, pilot, odyssey and Acura MDX transmission so you know what you are buying

I have to disagree with both of you, MDX don't have transmission issue, infact if you googlle transmission problem for any type of car be it TOYOTA, Mazda, Kia, Honda, just name it you will see lots of result but i will tell you that Transmission issue is not peculiar to MDX 04 model, i have colleagues in office that are using the 02 and 04 model and also have a neighbour that uses the 03 model, none ever complain about the transmission to me.

I heard the same thing about honda cars concerning shaft and transmission, i did my research thoroughly to the extend of talking to MDX parts dealer in Ladipo and Oyigbo market in Lagos before buying the SUV, what i could say is maintenance is the key here, for you to use this type of car you must be ready to buy high level quality oil and go to reliable mechanic, understand car part and do little diagnosing by using ELM327 to understand your vehicle performance.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 3:58am On Aug 17, 2014
domack99:

I have to disagree with both of you, MDX don't have transmission issue, infact if you googlle transmission problem for any type of car be it TOYOTA, Mazda, Kia, Honda, just name it you will see lots of result but i will tell you that Transmission issue is not peculiar to MDX 04 model, i have colleagues in office that are using the 02 and 04 model and also have a neighbour that uses the 03 model, none ever complain about the transmission to me.

I heard the same thing about honda cars concerning shaft and transmission, i did my research thoroughly to the extend of talking to MDX parts dealer in Ladipo and Oyigbo market in Lagos before buying the SUV, what i could say is maintenance is the key here, for you to use this type of car you must be ready to buy high level quality oil and go to reliable mechanic, understand car part and do little diagnosing by using ELM327 to understand your vehicle performance.

I really appreciate your lectures and am following keenly this series on MDX. My colleague in the office said his cousin keeps complaining bout the parts and all that stuffs with suspension. A close friend who deal cars just advised against it and he couldn't give a reason to his maybe his guts I think. But from a user like you am 70% convinced on the car been aware that maintenance is key here.. Once more am following you and will move to acquire the car this week after a relative carries out inspection on it.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 17, 2014
domack99:

You seriously need to do a little more research sir. Speaking with some colleagues who have been "lucky" so far, and some mechanics abi part dealers, doesn't mean that there are others out there who aren't passing through the transmission issue. I know what I'm saying.

I'll ask you to do one thing for me, just one. Google 'Transmission mdx 2004' and tell me what you see.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by abatically(m): 7:46am On Aug 17, 2014
Victoriousvic:
You seriously need to do a little more research sir. Speaking with some colleagues who have been "lucky" so far, and some mechanics abi part dealers, doesn't mean that there are others out there who aren't passing through the transmission issue. I know what I'm saying.

I'll ask you to do one thing for me, just one. Google 'Transmission mdx 2004' and tell me what you see.

Bro, google transmission 2005 Audi a4. Or transmission issues Toyota Camry 07, or transmission issues of any car and I tell u then no car will be worth buying.

7 Likes

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by seemsnice: 11:06am On Aug 17, 2014
domack99:

Stop deceiving ursef, A boss of mine bought dis Acura MDX, the car hardly spent 2yrs before developing transmission problem, he has to order for complete gear abroad and fix before selling it. I `ll advice u guys to get something better, thou all are used cars, it`s by luck you can get a better car, naiaja mechanics luv toyota, buh i can never agree as d best car, buy the one of your mind and maintain it very well.

GOOODLUCK.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by domack99(m): 11:12am On Aug 17, 2014
pasino26:

I really appreciate your lectures and am following keenly this series on MDX. My colleague in the office said his cousin keeps complaining bout the parts and all that stuffs with suspension. A close friend who deal cars just advised against it and he couldn't give a reason to his maybe his guts I think. But from a user like you am 70% convinced on the car been aware that maintenance is key here.. Once more am following you and will move to acquire the car this week after a relative carries out inspection on it.

I usually do a PM (Preventive maintenance) not a break down maintenance, I don't know the problem with you friends ride but I know all car has its own problem especially if not will maintained. Giving you car to a wrong mechanical can complicate things for you, I have learnt my lesson the hard way now I do my personal research and with Nairaland and forums for all type of cars you will certainly see people with similar problem and how they resolved it.

Ensure the car is okay before buying and hope the seller has a good maintenance record, you can as well check the VIN record to know more about the car history this is very important. Sometimes people tamper with the Millage.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by domack99(m): 11:32am On Aug 17, 2014
seemsnice:

Stop deceiving ursef, A boss of mine bought dis Acura MDX, the car hardly spent 2yrs before developing transmission problem, he has to order for complete gear abroad and fix before selling it. I `ll advice u guys to get something better, thou all are used cars, it`s by luck you can get a better car, naiaja mechanics luv toyota, buh i can never agree as d best car, buy the one of your mind and maintain it very well.

GOOODLUCK.

Have a friend who uses Mazda millennia as well and recently his Mechanic told him the transmission is gone, five different transmission where replace and yet the hold light still come and the car driving was not smooth. Only to call another person and was told there was nothing wrong with his initial transmission except that everything is wrong with the Mechanic. Most recent car transmission are design to go on save move to protect the package if anything is wrong with the car that could damage the transmission. for your boss to go aside Nigeria to get the transmission package shows he was not connecting with the right people when he can get the part in Naija. Very sure he will never near MDX again, shipping Transmission package from abroad would have cost him a fortune

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 17, 2014
you guys should calm down And listen
there is no car in these world I repeat no car that can't develop tranny issues
it matters on how you maintain your car
imagine using a wrong cheap tranny oil are you a mad man then you come online and start saying jagons Dr d car is rubbish
the people your talking about that had transmission issues do you use the car with them ?, No
to they even know if the car needs a tranny oil change?
No
when they see service engine soon or check engine do they scan ?
No as long as the car is moving abi. you will spend all ur money when it packs up

most issues with vehicles are caused by the users

take for instance a guy here on nl with a Camry 07 that complained of a sound in his engine
it showed low oil pressure on the dash he still went ahead with driving
your car is a fool? it will make u a fool too
nau he has purchased anoda engine
will he make such mistake again? No
acura mdx 2004 is a nice car buy if u like it

6 Likes

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by abatically(m): 1:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
Readone35L: you guys should calm down And listen
there is no car in these world I repeat no car that can't develop tranny issues
it matters on how you maintain your car
imagine using a wrong cheap tranny oil are you a mad man then you come online and start saying jagons Dr d car is rubbish
the people your talking about that had transmission issues do you use the car with them ?, No
to they even know if the car needs a tranny oil change?
No
when they see service engine soon or check engine do they scan ?
No as long as the car is moving abi. you will spend all ur money when it packs up

most issues with vehicles are caused by the users

take for instance a guy here on nl with a Camry 07 that complained of a sound in his engine
it showed low oil pressure on the dash he still went ahead with driving
your car is a fool? it will make u a fool too
nau he has purchased anoda engine
will he make such mistake again? No
acura mdx 2004 is a nice car buy if u like it

Spot on. I know someone who had low oil pressure light on his dash and he still drove the car until the engine knocked. Now he has to change the engine. When I asked him he said he will never buy that model of car again. Tell me do u blame the car brand or the careless owner? The car manufacturer installed a sensor to let u know when oil pressure is low, but u ignored it. Same way with lots of people driving around with with check engine light and flashing d light on their dash.

Lots of Nigerian drivers need to go back to the basis and learn the basics of driving a car. Understand the meaning of every light on the instrument cluster. Mist people don't even check their temperature gauge or known when their transmission fluid is due. And when they have little tranny problem, they replace the fluid with cheap ones.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 17, 2014
I wouldn't agree more on the issue of PMs. It is a well known fact that we expect our cars to understand we don't have the time to fix a fault when there's an error message 'leave the thing to blink it will stop when it's tired'. I am made up to pick up the ride if not this another still. I have never been stranded by my car cuz I treat her like a lady, spend on her to take me to my destinations. That's the mistake of most road users. MDX here I come after Domack de here. I look forward to a smooth experience with her so long as this very one is well maintained.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by sultaan(m): 6:32pm On Aug 17, 2014
The warning with my post is you will need a more frequent transmission service with the newer fluid DW***.

Even the original fluid from factory was not good enough atfz-1.SO if the transmission is good when you buy it the interval for service is as small as 20k miles whereas the one for a grand cherokee/chrysler is about 70k miles
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 17, 2014
abatically:

Bro, google transmission 2005 Audi a4. Or transmission issues Toyota Camry 07, or transmission issues of any car and I tell u then no car will be worth buying.
Yeah bro. I agree with you. My point is, the acura mdx 04 has a transmission issue. There's no point denying that fact, like he did.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by domack99(m): 8:56am On Aug 18, 2014
sultaan: The warning with my post is you will need a more frequent transmission service with the newer fluid DW***.

Even the original fluid from factory was not good enough atfz-1.SO if the transmission is good when you buy it the interval for service is as small as 20k miles whereas the one for a grand cherokee/chrysler is about 70k miles

Thanks Bro, I will certainly check this out, though have not change my ATF since the car arrive, I only did the normal Naija servicing. The last Bumper to Bumper check I did shows that my ATF is still in good condition.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by sultaan(m): 1:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
domack99:

Thanks Bro, I will certainly check this out, though have not change my ATF since the car arrive, I only did the normal Naija servicing. The last Bumper to Bumper check I did shows that my ATF is still in good condition.

I am not telling you to do a service just to know you can't ignore it like in most models because the original fluid was they are on the third fluid type since that transmission was made compared to other brands
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by domack99(m): 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2014
sultaan:

I am not telling you to do a service just to know you can't ignore it like in most models because the original fluid was they are on the third fluid type since that transmission was made compared to other brands

Got it, will surely take not of this if the need to change ATF arises
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by chucky234(m): 6:40pm On Aug 18, 2014
seemsnice:

GOOODLUCK.
My question is was your boss using the manufacturer's recommended ATF ?
You run a luxury car with conventional transmission fluid and expect the transmission to be fine.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by chucky234(m): 6:44pm On Aug 18, 2014
Victoriousvic:
Yeah bro. I agree with you. My point is, the acura mdx 04 has a transmission issue. There's no point denying that fact, like he did.
04 MDX have no transmission issue, five of my friends drives the 04/05 MDX and no issues, one just sold his after 4yrs then got 08 MDX.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by eaglevirus: 8:34pm On Aug 24, 2014
Guys I own an 04 MDX, got it last yr for my wify from a post I saw on NL, the car drives smooth and does not have issues u cant fix with the right parts. Its a used car for Gawd's sake, 10yrs old. It has a poor mileage within city and superb one on the highway(like all other 3.5l SUV's). Pls go ahead and buy the Acura Mdx and you will enjoy the ride if you carry out good maintenance, my broda has a 2000 model and he has tranny issues because he does not have a good mechanic. Find a reputable mechanic and you will not have car issues.

DO YOU KNOW THE LOCATION OF YOUR TYRE PRESSURE SENSOR, when you find this out(for those who didn't) you will know why most of us have car issues.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 25, 2014

Can't wait to mount the wheels, actually I intend getting confirmation on the purchase soon as a family member is handling that for me. You guys are just amazing and I look forward to the splendid user experience.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

TARGET ACQUIRED

1 Like

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by mishooo(m): 2:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
OP, you CANT go wrong with an MDX, especially the 2004 and after. 2001-2003 often develops transmission issues (if not taken care of well) after the 100,000Km mark but that has been corrected in 2004 and after designs.

I presently use a 2006 MDX and that car is very solid. the parts are easy to get as it uses some Honda parts but it is a luxury car.
Trust me, let your mechanic look at it and you'll surely enjoy it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
mishooo: OP, you CANT go wrong with an MDX, especially the 2004 and after. 2001-2003 often develops transmission issues (if not taken care of well) after the 100,000Km mark but that has been corrected in 2004 and after designs.

I presently use a 2006 MDX and that car is very solid. the parts are easy to get as it uses some Honda parts but it is a luxury car.
Trust me, let your mechanic look at it and you'll surely enjoy it.

Thanks bro, will have it depart Lagos tomorrow just that I missed installing the nav and dvd by a nairalander. Am convinced am in for a thrilling experience cuz I got you guys.
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by chelseabmw(m): 10:38am On Aug 28, 2014
pasino26:

Thanks bro, will have it depart Lagos tomorrow just that I missed installing the nav and dvd by a nairalander. Am convinced am in for a thrilling experience cuz I got you guys.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/MDX/

Pls go through this. The 2004 is the most problematic

1 Like

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 28, 2014
chelseabmw:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/MDX/

Pls go through this. The 2004 is the most problematic

Boss I did as you adviced, yea true the 2004 model got tranny issues mostly the TORGUE CONVERTER. It is safe to note that some were recalled for fixing and some left out. With the facts before me I can safely deduce it's a 50/50 chance I will be having this issue. I can't safely state that particular I recently acquired was recalled or not, nothing is ever certain 100%. If it brakes, we fix it!!! But I don't wish to have issues. Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by chelseabmw(m): 2:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
pasino26:

Boss I did as you adviced, yea true the 2004 model got tranny issues mostly the TORGUE CONVERTER. It is safe to note that some were recalled for fixing and some left out. With the facts before me I can safely deduce it's a 50/50 chance I will be having this issue. I can't safely state that particular I recently acquired was recalled or not, nothing is ever certain 100%. If it brakes, we fix it!!! But I don't wish to have issues. Thanks boss

Oh you have bought it already? Wasn't aware of that bro... congrats in advance...

Btw.... u nor call us to come follow u wash am grin

I drive the 2007 model and I can reliably say that MDX is MAD cheesy wish u d best
Re: Advice On Acura Mdx 04 by wowdiva: 10:51am On Jun 02, 2017
domack99:

@domack99 Thanks for your review, I intend buying an mdx soon. I will need you input please on things I need to look out for

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Begins Compulsory Computerized Vehicle Inspection / Skoda Mocks Elon’s Tesla Launch In TV Ad As It Sends A Car To Mars-A Tiny Ville / Top 10 Common Car Problems And How To Rectify Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.