Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,755 members, 7,827,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field (14478 Views)

[CLOSED] Free Logo Design For Your Business. / Tips For Professional Logo Design, A Must Read For All Logo Designers / Logo Design Mistakes Graphic-Artists Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by erad(m): 4:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
[img]http://www.itbuzzer.in/images/logo-design.gif[/img]

I’ve learned from quite a few mistakes during my time as a designer, and to save you from doing likewise, here are 10 logo tips I picked up.

1. A logo doesn’t need to say what a company does

Restaurant logos don’t need to show food, dentist logos don’t need to show teeth, furniture store logos don’t need to show furniture. Just because it’s relevant, doesn’t mean you can’t do better.

The Mercedes logo isn’t a car. The Virgin Atlantic logo isn’t an aeroplane. The Apple logo isn’t a computer. Etc. Etc.

2. Not every logo needs a symbol

Sometimes a client just needs a professional wordmark to identify their business. Don’t be afraid to ask what they think.

3. Two-way process

Remember, things might not always pan out as you hope. Your client might request something you disagree with. If that happens, try giving them what they want, then show them what you believe is an improvement, and why. They’re less likely to be so resistant if they already see how their thoughts pan out.

4. Picasso started somewhere

You don’t need to be an artist to realise the benefits of logo sketching. Ideas can flow much faster between a pen and paper than they can a mouse and monitor.

5. Under-promise, over-deliver

If you’re unsure how long a task will take to complete, estimate longer. Design projects are like construction work — you piece lots of little elements together to form a greater whole, and setbacks can crop up at any time.

6. Leave trends to the fashion industry

Trends come and go, and when you’re talking about changing a pair of jeans, or buying a new dress, that’s fine, but where your brand identity is concerned, longevity is key.

Don’t follow the pack.

Stand out.

7. Work in black first
By leaving colour to the end of the process, you focus on the idea. No amount of gradient or colour will rescue a poorly designed mark.

8. Keep it appropriate

Designing for a lawyer? Ditch the fun approach. Designing for a kid’s TV show? Nothing too serious. I could go on, but you get the picture.

9. A simple logo aids recognition

Keeping the design simple allows for flexibility in size. Ideally, your design should work at a minimum of around one inch without loss of detail. Look at the logos of large corporations like Mitsubishi, Samsung, FedEx, BBC etc. Their logos look simple and are easier to recognise because of it.

10. One thing to remember

That’s it. Leave your client with just one thing to remember about the design. All strong logos have one single feature to help them stand out.

Not two, three, or four.

One.

Source:http://www.logodesignlove.com/logo-design-tips

[size=14pt]Check the portfolio(s) of Nairaland logo designers here; https://www.nairaland.com/1823110/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers[/size]

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by donylap: 9:42am On Aug 30, 2014
Fist page tinz
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by alotofgrace(m): 9:42am On Aug 30, 2014
learning

basically i would like to get my hands dirty with designs..u know!? just to know it
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 30, 2014
B
O
O
K
E
D

1 Like

Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by priscaoge(f): 9:46am On Aug 30, 2014
It's informative especially for those studying Arts in d Uni. Just take a little time n read it. Nice post @OP.

Btw that last logo looks like d way I draw my eye pencilgringrin #JustKidding

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 30, 2014
ok
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by jorhney(m): 9:48am On Aug 30, 2014
h
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by MRLINGTON(m): 9:51am On Aug 30, 2014
#Noted #Rated #Booked
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by uken73(m): 9:53am On Aug 30, 2014
So many tips on Logo designs this days.
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by CharlieMaria(m): 9:54am On Aug 30, 2014
Space for rent.
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Donkaz(m): 9:56am On Aug 30, 2014
nice one op.
me wey no get anything, when i do the logo i go put am for my head
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by priscaoge(f): 9:56am On Aug 30, 2014
lildrop: B
O
O
K
E
D
Part of creativity abicheesycheesycheesy
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 30, 2014
priscaoge:
Part of creativity abicheesycheesycheesy
designing ma own logo..... am a fast learner grin
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by priscaoge(f): 10:02am On Aug 30, 2014
lildrop:
designing ma own logo..... am a fast learner grin
Dat 1 deycheesycheesy
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by BashirAhmad1(m): 10:03am On Aug 30, 2014
Nice one... good to be on FP! we learnt a lot.
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by priscaoge(f): 10:06am On Aug 30, 2014
donylap: Fist page tinz
And FTC abi?cheesy
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 30, 2014
BashirAhmad1: Nice one... good to be on FP! we learnt a lot.
WALAHI
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 30, 2014
dats d bomb
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 30, 2014
priscaoge:
Part of creativity stupidity abicheesycheesycheesy
grin
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Blackheritage: 10:11am On Aug 30, 2014
erad: [img]http://www.itbuzzer.in/images/logo-design.gif[/img]

I’ve learned from quite a few mistakes during my time as a designer, and to save you from doing likewise, here are 10 logo tips I picked up.

1. A logo doesn’t need to say what a company does

Restaurant logos don’t need to show food, dentist logos don’t need to show teeth, furniture store logos don’t need to show furniture. Just because it’s relevant, doesn’t mean you can’t do better.

The Mercedes logo isn’t a car. The Virgin Atlantic logo isn’t an aeroplane. The Apple logo isn’t a computer. Etc. Etc.

2. Not every logo needs a symbol

Sometimes a client just needs a professional wordmark to identify their business. Don’t be afraid to ask what they think.

3. Two-way process

Remember, things might not always pan out as you hope. Your client might request something you disagree with. If that happens, try giving them what they want, then show them what you believe is an improvement, and why. They’re less likely to be so resistant if they already see how their thoughts pan out.

4. Picasso started somewhere

You don’t need to be an artist to realise the benefits of logo sketching. Ideas can flow much faster between a pen and paper than they can a mouse and monitor.

5. Under-promise, over-deliver

If you’re unsure how long a task will take to complete, estimate longer. Design projects are like construction work — you piece lots of little elements together to form a greater whole, and setbacks can crop up at any time.

6. Leave trends to the fashion industry

Trends come and go, and when you’re talking about changing a pair of jeans, or buying a new dress, that’s fine, but where your brand identity is concerned, longevity is key.

Don’t follow the pack.

Stand out.

7. Work in black first
By leaving colour to the end of the process, you focus on the idea. No amount of gradient or colour will rescue a poorly designed mark.

8. Keep it appropriate

Designing for a lawyer? Ditch the fun approach. Designing for a kid’s TV show? Nothing too serious. I could go on, but you get the picture.

9. A simple logo aids recognition

Keeping the design simple allows for flexibility in size. Ideally, your design should work at a minimum of around one inch without loss of detail. Look at the logos of large corporations like Mitsubishi, Samsung, FedEx, BBC etc. Their logos look simple and are easier to recognise because of it.

10. One thing to remember

That’s it. Leave your client with just one thing to remember about the design. All strong logos have one single feature to help them stand out.

Not two, three, or four.

One.

Source:http://www.logodesignlove.com/logo-design-tips

[size=14pt]Check the portfolio(s) of Nairaland logo designers here; https://www.nairaland.com/1823110/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers[/size]
Pls how much will logo design cost me?? And where is your office??
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by condralbede(m): 10:13am On Aug 30, 2014
Noted
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by priscaoge(f): 10:13am On Aug 30, 2014
Op Ur No1 point is cool but as u know,many people tend to use symbols that correspond to their business as not everyone might understand what d business is all about. Sometimes a mere looking @ d logo will pass a msg across immediately to ur audience that "Yes this is what they do" that's Y u see people using it...Nice thread all the same.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by freshness2020: 10:14am On Aug 30, 2014
Following!
Just dabbed into graphics..and am loving it!
Still need some tutelage ♈όϋ know !
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by allanphash7(m): 10:14am On Aug 30, 2014
learnt
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Aydesmond(m): 10:15am On Aug 30, 2014
passer by..its a secret
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by iceberylin(m): 10:16am On Aug 30, 2014
i dont knw if its just me but i think NL need a better Logo
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by PHfinest(m): 10:17am On Aug 30, 2014
Very nice writeup. I have been doing branding as a hobby since 2007. I have done some great logos with only MS paint.
Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by hizaya61(m): 10:18am On Aug 30, 2014
here is mine i guess you all will like it

1 Like

Re: Ten Logo Design Tips From The Field by Jhosh(m): 10:20am On Aug 30, 2014
.#

This space z nt for sale.Beware of ma son kabiru..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Real-draw Pro Cd Key / Most Realistic Tatoos Ever Drawn (pictures) / TUTORIAL! Greatly Enhance An Image In Simple Steps (PS CS3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.