Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,492 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) (52900 Views)

Ten Most Famous People In Nigeria 2016 / PROF PELLER, The Enchanting Story Of Nigeria’s Most Famous Magician [PHOTOS] / Famous African-americans Of Igbo Descent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2014
Many of these celebrities are more popular than some African Presidents. They are famous and are easily recognized.
Here is a count down to my top 12 most famous entertainers in Africa.

12 FALLY IPUPA- Congo

Fally Ipupa is a singer-songwriter from the
Democratic Republic of the Congo . He was
part of the band of Koffi Olomidé, Quartier
Latin International , from 1999 to 2006 before
starting a solo career. His first solo album
was Droit chemin released in 2006, and his
second album Arsenal de Belles Melodies
(A2BM) was released in 2009. In 2007, Ipupa
won the Kora Awards for Best Artist or Group
from Central Africa. In 2010, Fally Ipupa
won the MTV Africa Music Awards 2010 for
Best Video (for Sexy Dance ) and Best
Francophone. He won the urban awards for
best African artist. Ipupa was nominated in the
Best Live Act category at the 2014 MTV Africa
Music Awards . He released an album named
kosa leka in 2014.

11 AWILO LONGOMBA- Congo

His second CD, Coupe Bibamba (1998) made
him known throughout Africa, Europe and
America. This was followed by Kafou Kafou
(2001) and an album, Mondongo (2004), which
features Japponais, Dally Kimoko, Caen
Madoka, Djudjuchet, Josky Kiambukuta and
Simaro Lutumba . He is also credited as an
atalaku (animateur) on some soukous records.
Awilo now lives in France and is engaged to
musician Barbara Kanam .
In 2008, Awilo Longomba released the new
album Super-Man which was another success.
Awilo continued his popularity in USA/ Canada
while on tour with Nabtry International Cultural
Dancers, an African dance group founded in
2007 by Grace Haukwa. The Super-Man tour
was successful throughout 2008 and 2009. By
popular votes and a historic win at the
International Reggae and World Music Awards
with over 120 countries voting in, Super-Man
won the Best Soukous Entertainer Award 2009.
CEO and founder of Nabtry Grace Haukwa, who
represents Awilo in the US, received the award
on Awilo's behalf at the ceremony.

10 JACKIE APPIAH- Ghana

Jackie Appiah is the most famous actress from Ghana. Jackie is to Ghollywood, exactly what Genevieve Nnaji is to Nollywood. Jackie has won several awards.

9 FEMI KUTI- Nigeria

Femi is the eldest son of the legendary Fela Kuti who was labeled as the ‘King of Rock n’ Roll in Africa’. At 49 years of age, this Nigerian musician has been able to keep his father’s spirit alive through his energetic Afrobeat music. He has toured the world performing his music and has done numerous collaborations with other international artists like Common and Mos def (both from the US). His album, Fight to Win, sold gold. Femi has been nominated for a Grammy award four times in the world music category in 2003, 2010, 2012 and 2013 but has never won. Being nominated is a wonderful thing, but hopefully he would win someday.

8 OMOTOLA JALADE EKEINDE- Nigeria

Omotola is a super star actress from Nigeria and a very famous one at that. Omotola's fame got her name featured as Times Most Influential People in The World in 2013, a list that equally featured the likes of Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Mitchell Obama,and other world personalities.

7 P'SQUARE- Nigeria

They have conquered African music industry. They have performed in front of many African presidents who always invite them. They have won several international and local awards. They are indeed famous.

6 D'BANJ- Nigeria

Dapo Daniel Oyebanjo (popularly known as D'banj, born June 9, 1980) is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, harmonica player, and businessman. He has won several music awards, including the awards for Best African Act at the MTV Europe Music Awards 2007, Artist of the Year at the MTV Africa Music Awards 2009, Best International Act: Africa at the BET Awards 2011, and Best-selling African Artist at the 2014 World Music Awards. He adopted the stage name D'banj, a combination of his first name Dapo and his surname Oyebanjo. D'banj is currently best known internationally for his 2012 summer hit "Oliver Twist", an up tempo dance fusion of Afrobeat and electronic dance music that topped the African charts 2011 and was a top 10 hit in the UK singles chart in 2012 reaching #2 on the UK R&B chart.

5 2BABA- Nigeria

Innocent Ujah Idibia (born in Jos,Plateau State,Nigeria), better known by his stage name 2face Idibia, is a Nigerian singer, songwriter and record producer. He officially discontinued the use of the name Tuface and selected Tu-baba as his stage name. He is one of the most decorated and successful Afro pop artists in Africa. He is one of the most bankable artists in Africa.
2Face has received one MTV Europe Music Award, one World Music Award, five Headies Awards(Hip-hop award), four Chanel O Music Video Awards and one BET award for his musical work, four MTV Africa Music Awards, one MOBO award, one KORA award, and numerous additional nominations.

4 GENEVIEVE NNAJI- Nigeria

Genevieve is the most popular Nollywood actress and the most popular African actress. She was dubbed the Julia Roberts of Africa by Oprah Winfrey Show in an episode dubbed "Meet the Most Famous People in the World".

3 YVONNE CHACA CHACA- South Africa

Yvonne Chaka Chaka(bornYvonne Machaka in 1965)is a South African singer.Dubbed­ the "Princess of Africa", Chaka Chaka has been at the forefront of South African popular music for 20 years. Songs like"I'm Burning Up", "thank you mister dj", "I Cry for Freedom", "Makoti", "Motherland"and the ever-popular "Umqombothi" ("African Beer"wink ensured Yvonne's stardom. The song "Umqombothi" was featured in the opening scene of the 2004 movie Hotel Rwanda.

2 LUPITA NYONG- Kenya

In little more than a year, Lupita Nyong’o has made the leap from serious student to Oscar-winning actress and head-turning fashion star. Her popularity has been escalating after featuring in "12 Years A Slave". She has covered international magazines such as Vogue and People Magazine where she was named the Most Beautiful Woman.

Born March 1, 1983) is an actress,film and music video director of dual Kenyan and Mexican citizenship. After­ graduating from Hampshire College with a bachelor's degree in film and theatre studies, Nyong'o worked as a production assistant on several Hollywood films. In 2008 she made her acting debut with the short film East River and subsequently starred in the Kenyan television series Shuga(2009). Also in 2009, she wrote, produced and directed the documentary film in My Genes. Nyong'o later completed a master's degree in acting from the Yale School of Drama, followed by her first feature film role in Steve McQueen's historical drama 12 Years a Slave(2013). Her role as the slave Patsey in the film was widely acclaimed, earning her the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, among numerous other awards and nominations. In 2014, she was named "The Most Beautiful Woman" by People.

1 AKON- Senegal

Akon appears to be the most famous African musician.Although a resident of the US now, Akonreally cherishes and embraces his Senegalese roots. The 41 year old musician and entrepreneur has released 3 albums that have all sold platinum. He is highly regarded in the Hip Hop world and has helped other musicians, like Lady Gaga, make their breakthrough as well. He owns Konvict Record Label, Konvict Clothing, and Konfidence Foundation.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 5:58pm On Aug 16, 2014
Akon

1 Like

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 5:58pm On Aug 16, 2014
lupita

4 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
Chaka chaka

11 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
Genevieve

2baba

8 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2014
omotola

6 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2014
D'banj

psquare

4 Likes

femi kuti

Jackie appiah

2 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 6:03pm On Aug 16, 2014
awilo logomba

fally ipupa

6 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by Tval(m): 6:32pm On Aug 16, 2014
To be the first person to comment on Lalasticala's thread isn't an easy thing.

I dedicate this space to all Ebola Patients, quick recoveries to you all, may the architect of the universe be with you.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by Tval(m): 6:32pm On Aug 16, 2014
I think popularity features includes, an artiste fan base (which could be assessed through the number of followers the artiste has on twitter, facebook, instagram and nairaland), how an artiste music/film is being marketed outside his/her house/street/local government/state/country/continent, and finally international awards won by the artiste.

The artistes who have these features are ........

1.Wizkid got 1,200,000 followers on twitter, 278K followers on Instagram, 932K likes on facebook and .... Followers on nairaland(I know you are on nairaland keep hiding).

2. Davido a.k.a O.B.O has 881,000 followers on twitter, 258K followers on instagram, he has no facebook page and .... Followers on nairaland(keep hiding also). Won different international awards, sold out concerts across the globe.

3. Me, yes you saw it, I av been nominated 4 different times in four different categories at the Grammy awards, I personally rejected BET awards for the best male artiste(not international act the likes of Davido, Sarkodie, Wizkid and Ice Cream won), because Obama didn't come to the airport to welcome me, I performed at 10 different shows in 10 different european countries in a day(that sounds cool), I was invited to give a speech on the relationship between music and football at the just concluded World Cup, but I refused the invitation due to personal reasons.

On a more serious note, one of Wizkid and Davido should be on that list compiled by Our chairman, Lalasticala.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by Tval(m): 6:33pm On Aug 16, 2014
cheesy cheesy
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by secnelly: 6:37pm On Aug 16, 2014
This space is for sale.

1 Like

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by Beckybeky(f): 6:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
Wow I'm certainly coming up
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by bustyhelen(f): 7:31pm On Aug 16, 2014
Nice list. i like dat fally guy. dbanj rocks

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by daveP(m): 7:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
bustyhelen: Nice list. i like dat fally guy. dbanj rocks
ure here again? shocked
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by bustyhelen(f): 8:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
daveP: ure here again? shocked
yes o. abi na only me waka com?
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by englishmart(m): 10:31pm On Aug 16, 2014
0. Poko lee

She hasn't won any award yet. But I'm positive the current album she's working on will give her a grammy award.

cheesygrin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by hatux: 7:11am On Aug 17, 2014
I really agree with your number one, I thought I was gonna see the likes 'wizkid, davido and sorts...
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by montestic(m): 9:52am On Aug 17, 2014
interesting. chaka chaka. i lv her. thank u mr dj her son was a master hit years bk
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by maxism2: 2:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
good
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by daveP(m): 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2014
bustyhelen: yes o. abi na only me waka com?
i guess not. smiley
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by LesbianBoy(m): 9:07pm On Aug 17, 2014
Davido is meant to be on the list na! undecided
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by lalasticlala(m): 9:20pm On Aug 17, 2014
Tval: I think popularity features includes, an artiste fan base (which could be assessed through the number of followers the artiste has on twitter, facebook, instagram and nairaland), how an artiste music/film is being marketed outside his/her house/street/local government/state/country/continent, and finally international awards won by the artiste.

The artistes who have these features are ........

1.Wizkid got 1,200,000 followers on twitter, 278K followers on Instagram, 932K likes on facebook and .... Followers on nairaland(I know you are on nairaland keep hiding).

2. Davido a.k.a O.B.O has 881,000 followers on twitter, 258K followers on instagram, he has no facebook page and .... Followers on nairaland(keep hiding also). Won different international awards, sold out concerts across the globe.

3. Me, yes you saw it, I av been nominated 4 different times in four different categories at the Grammy awards, I personally rejected BET awards for the best male artiste(not international act the likes of Davido, Sarkodie, Wizkid and Ice Cream won), because Obama didn't come to the airport to welcome me, I performed at 10 different shows in 10 different european countries in a day(that sounds cool), I was invited to give a speech on the relationship between music and football at the just concluded World Cup, but I refused the invitation due to personal reasons.

On a more serious note, one of Wizkid and Davido should be on that list compiled by Our chairman, Lalasticala.

lol

abiii

but d list is already filled with more Nigerians
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by hugelyendowed: 12:13pm On Aug 20, 2014
NIGERIA HAS D MOST. WISKID IS MORE POPULAR THAN FALLY IPUPA

3 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by Beesluv: 11:41pm On Aug 26, 2014
Wow, so that's chaka chaka. she's biuriful cool

2 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by Sarimah(f): 4:21am On Aug 27, 2014
C how dem dey struggle to touch Gene 4 abroad...this lady aff blow shocked

2 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by ModusOperandi(f): 6:43am On Aug 27, 2014
englishmart: 0. Poko lee

She hasn't won any award yet. But I'm positive the current album she's working on will give her a grammy award.

cheesygrin
It would be a cold day in hell grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by CharlieMaria(m): 9:31am On Aug 27, 2014
N
Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by ayusco85(m): 9:33am On Aug 27, 2014
lalasticlala: lupita

lalasticlala, making front page since seun opened nairaland in 1960 grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top 12 Most Famous African Entertainers ( Photos ) by frodobee: 9:33am On Aug 27, 2014
What was the name of the winner of Cowbel Math Competition

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

E-money Follows 10 People On Instagram - Check Who They Are / Nanny And Cook Detained As Police Release 6 Of Davido's Domestic Staff / Anthony Joshua Gifts DJ Cuppy A Diamond Chain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.