Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian (3068 Views)

“the Dying Art Of The Stage Craft ” : Chief Lari Williams, Olu Okekanye And Others Slug The Theme Out At Ana’s Meeting! / The Subtle Art Of Seduction / Robert Greene's Art Of Seduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 17, 2014
Understanding Haiku
*Haiku poems date from 9th century Japan to the present day. Haiku is more than a type of poem; it is a way of looking at the physical world and seeing something deeper, like the very nature of existence. They attempt to describe the world objectively, and not the emotions the world evokes in us.

They consist of 3 verses which ideally can be said in one breath. In English, the first verse is 5 syllables long, the second, 7 slyllables and the third, 5 syllables. Usually, two distinct and "majestic" ideas are to be blended together to make a haiku and effort has to to be made to ensure that the link btween the ideas is not too obvious, or the difference between the ideas too much.

Examples follow

Ongoing Comeptition, visit: http://riaus.org.au/sci-ku/?utm_source=provided%20link%2023&utm_medium=twitter%20to%20sci-ku&utm_campaign=Sci-ku
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
Example

Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
Basho Matsuo

An old silent pond...

A frog jumps into the pond,

splash! Silence again.
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
Yosa Buson

A summer river being crossed

how pleasing

with sandals in my hands!
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 17, 2014
Kobayaski Issa

O snail

Climb Mount Fuji,

But slowly, slowly!
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 17, 2014
My attempt at Nigerian themed Haiku

Nigerian Sunday

Head gear shapely bright,
Mirror in hand, hurried steps
Songs on Sunday Mass!
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 17, 2014
example.

Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by naeto2(m): 1:54pm On Aug 17, 2014
I can't make a head or tail out of this o... for real
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
naeto2: I can't make a head or tail out of this o... for real

Is that better? just realised it should be in the poem section *sighs*
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 18, 2014
LIFE

just a place to play
play to quarrel
quarrel to play
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 18, 2014
LIFE AND DEATH
Closely interwoven like thread
i wish to live
all i see around me is death!!!

op am i trying?
Re: Feeling Creative? Try Out The Elite Japanese Art Of Haiku. Theme: Nigerian by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 19, 2014
marioking: LIFE AND DEATH
Closely interwoven like thread
i wish to live
all i see around me is death!!!

op am i trying?

hmmm..you've deviated from the 5 7 5 syllable structure although this is not a rigid rule. plus you're attempting to express abstract concepts which i guess is very diffcult, and you've also thrown away the concept of two distinct ideas that are not so closely or loosely linked together but still manage to come together seamlessly. but what do i know, i'm also a beginner grin. All i can really say from what i've read is that haiku is supposd to describe things in such a way that the reader can experience it as you expericened it with your own 5 senses i.e "show, don't tell"

let me give what i'm saying a try: (nigerian theme)

Morning drive

A country asleep...
An engine starts within it,
vroom!... cuckarookoo!

professional example (with reference to the season):
morning glory!
the well bucket-entangled,
I ask for water

did i make any sense?

(1) (Reply)

Kaleidoscope By Danielle Steel Review / The Hidden Story Behind My Sexual Life Between I And My Female Neighbour That W / A Poem Dedicated To My E-lover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.