Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,908 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind (685 Views)

What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital / The 5 Biggest Causes Of Belly Fat. / 9 Things That Are Dirtier Than Your Toilet Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind by Dharkchild: 6:08pm On Aug 17, 2014
Hi friends… Like most of us are aware, there is this killer virus that has been ravaging some parts of west africa now known as the "Ebola Viral Disease”. For those of us that are not aware, it is a deadly disease, has killed over 55% of people who has contacted it, kills in a short span of 2 - 6 weeks (making it faster than HIV/AIDS) and currently has no cure. Some experimental drugs have been produced by a US / Canada partnership known as "ZMAPP" but has not been fully tested and yet to be certified fit for use as the side effects are unknown yet. The virus was exported into Nigeria by a Liberian-Americn known as Patrick Sawyer and now about 4 Nigerians have died, 12 infected and over a 100 under surveillance for traits of the virus

Being a Nigerian, whenever I hear the word Ebola, what crosses my mind?

1. Government - There is need for the leadership of the african nation to take its destinies into her hands. We need to begin to work on nation building at all levels by creating research centres, educational institutes, youth empowerment, improving learning facilities and more. Yes, Ebola is an international challenge and this means we should join forces with other countries working on coming up with a cure and not just waiting for a solution to be handed down to us from the Europe or America. Nigeria is the giant of Africa, and being the giants of Africa should not just be in words.

2. Religion - This is a sensitive area I do not like to talk about. It seems to me that the average Nigerian no longer recognise the place for work but just believe in "faith". Following a lot of Nigerian forum, comments such as “May God save us all”, “God help Nigeria”, “May it not affect our families attract the most likes. No one seems to be looking for a solution and everyone seems to be “faithing” it. The ebola virus seem to have created more unity between the christians and the muslim (a good thing) as everybody seems to be fighting the same battle using various spiritual ways. After all an enemy of my enemy is my friend. I am not saying faith doesn’t work, all I am saying is faith without work is dead. https://www.nairaland.com/1859944/churches-raise-prayer-warriors-against

3. People - I have just blamed the government and expect the government to play their roles in providing the enabling environment for research and development, but what are we, the Nigerian youth doing today. I strongly believe the type of leaders we have are a representation of the people in the nation. I am not saying everyone is corrupt, inept and lazy but maybe majority of us are (personal opinion). How can I explain that Nigerians are blaming the US for not sending the experimental “ZMAPP” drug (actually I can explain), but if we could reason, we would probably have come up with a solution without being fully dependent on other countries. Again the story of egg and chicken “No laboratories, so no research can be done, but we have to blame someone” https://www.nairaland.com/1860188/ebola-nigerians-blast-us-fda

4. Nano-Silver, Kolanut and Salty Bath
Nano-Silver[/i] - Just when we thought there was good news, a Nigerian in diaspora developed his/her own ebola experimental drug, It ended out being a pesticide. #Heartbreak (At least there was a trial)https://www.nairaland.com/1858679/nano-silver-nigerian-ebola-drug-pesticide, https://www.nairaland.com/1859879/lagos-rejects-ebola-trial-drug
Kolanut[i]
- I don’t know where this theory came from, but I heard there has been scarcity of kola nut in the market as some theory has it that some elements contained in kola nut can cure ebola - Sigh
Salty Bath[i][/i] - All I have to say is that if u received a text, broadcast, call, to put salt in your warm water and have a bath with the solution… Ehmm, then you need to change your friends ASAP. If you sent or forwarded the text, I have no words for you. The way some educated fellow had a salty bath actually elludes me. But again, prevention is better than cure. hahaha smiley

5. Quarantine - Over a hundred people have been quarantined in Lagos. I really wish them quick recovery. The truth however is that in the absence of any cure, or research into finding a cure, how do we expect them to recover - once again except a miracle happens or the west "pities" us, then it sounds more like a death sentence for them. #Maybe we really need the prayers more than I had imagined, but the truth remains that this is a medical challenge and a medical solution is required urgently.

I am sure this (Ebola) too would surely pass, but after it is over, I hope it serves as a warning to the government and the Nigerian citizens both home and abroad to recognise that home is home and we are the only ones that can develop the country.

I have also posted a lot of links from http://www.nairaland.com/ as Nairaland is the biggest African and Nigerian forum and can provide in insight to the way the average Nigerian thinks.

I look forward to a better Nigeria but if u see an opportunity to better your life before Nigeria becomes better, please take it.. lol.

Source: http://pencil-imaginations..it/2014/08/when-i-hear-ebloa-what-crosses-my-mind.html
Re: As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind by Noah13: 6:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
God help us all
Re: As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind by Dharkchild: 6:50pm On Aug 17, 2014
Noah13: God help us all
Amen ooo cheesy
Re: As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind by amiskurie(m): 7:32pm On Aug 17, 2014
1. Am not married yet.. fork!

2 no kids...forkkk!

3. What abt the future,dreams..oh forrrk!

4. Oh shyyt,I'm not even a saint yet.

5. Oh common,don't tell me I will b gone soon.
Re: As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind by PrincessB1(f): 7:55pm On Aug 17, 2014
May God help Nigeria
Re: As A Nigerian, When I Hear Ebloa - The 5 Things That Crosses My Mind by Nobody: 2:22am On Aug 18, 2014
funny grin buh true.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

New Butterfly Species Discovered In Nigeria. / Drugs For Low Sperm Count, Weak Erection And Vergina Discharge / Agony of 13-year-old Nigerian fighting brain cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.